Walter Smith has passed away

Can only echo the wonderful sentiments written by all including on this thread and by many football legends. What a joy he brought to my life and for that I am truly thankful to him. RIP Walter Smith I like many will never forget you. Sincere condolences to family and friends. Stand down Walter no doubt your in a good place now.

Every tribute so far has obviously recognised Walter's contribution to Rangers and Scottish football but equally the tributes have referenced what a decent man Walter was and that is really lovely to hear.

Just still absolutely gutted. Really taking this like losing a family member.

Heartbroken and thats after having 6 odd hours to try and process it.

The tributes to him today really show the giant he was in the game. I’ll never understand why he was never given a knighthood. There’s not many more gave their service to football like he did.

It’s profoundly sad. It really is.

The tribute videos and interviews have been equal parts warming and saddening.

A very sad day.

Seeing those pictures from Loch Lomond golf club recently had me thinking he was on the mend.

Im not surprised only the very closest to him must of known how ill he was.
Class and Dignity to the very end.

He'll always be our manager. And we will always love him.

Lift your head please no more tears
And think of all those happy years.
I’m in a place that I’m content
To my Blue Heaven I’ve been sent

Where Rangers Legends live on forever
Loyal and true we're all together
And in my heaven of Royal Blue
I’ll wear a smile and think of you

Every game that Rangers play
I am there with you all the way
Cheering on from high above
For the boys in blue the team I love

So live your life and do not dwell
And be at peace I’m safe and well
Amongst my friends decked out in blue
In my Blue Heaven I’ll wait for you
♥️

Rest easy Gaffer

There are no words to describe the pain of this loss. It feels like I (we) have lost a close relative. Walter was a member of every single one of our families, we loved him as such. He given us some of the greatest days of our lives and provided memories we will all take to the grave.

He picked us all up when we were low and he brightened the lives of everyone he came into contact with

My deepest sympathy to Ethel and family. My deepest sympathy to all of us, because he is part of our family also.

55 was for you boss, go now and rest.

RIP Walter

Just got home from work and watched the tributes. Good few tears shed. So many memories that I will take with me for the rest of my life came from the Gaffer.

Thank you Walter, and rest easy.

Just in from my work, this has tore a huge hole in all of us.... I was lucky enough to meet Walter on a number of occasions; always the complete gentleman. Treasured items he has signed will be with me for the rest of my days... I`m utterly heartbroken.
Thank you for the memories, sir; and God grant you eternal peace. X

And when all my life has ended And when death has made it's mark will you scatter all my ashes on the slopes of Ibrox Park And with the Angels I'll be singing up in heaven there up above I'll be singing Follow Follow To the Rangers that I love.

Rest in peace Gaffer.

Last edited:
I think the shock for many like me is after recent pictures of him he looked like he was in good form so to hear he has been taken so soon after make a it that bit more of a shock !

I have been truly lucky to have lived thru the Walter Smith eras and all the good times that brought to us .

He will never be forgotten in this house

Walter Smith gave many of us some of the best days of our lives growing up and then again when he returned and by that time we were adults.

He is completely intertwined with my happiest memories following our club. To me personally he was and always will be Mr Rangers.

He will never, ever be forgotten.

Absolutely heartbroken

Walter Smith’s Blue & White Army

Some of the tributes have been absolute tear jerking.

From Guardiola, Howard Wilkinson, Dalglish, Graham Alexander at Motherwell to Celtic guys like Hartson, Scott Brown (Whos comments were really nice with a comment that also made me smile) to their manager, shows the respect he had went across about three different generations, countless countries and people from a wide range of roles.

Every single comment from them all has genuine respect and admiration.

All day i've been very numb on hearing this sad news it's exactly like it was thirteen years ago when i lost my own dad,Walter's passing is one of the saddest days of my life.

A true Rangers legend,gone but never ever forgotten.

Sleep easy Sir.

I'm gutted. I was really pleased to see him in the recent golf photo and hoped he was on the mend.

I'll always be grateful to him for what he done for Rangers.

Condolences to the Smith family.

Sportsman. Gentleman. Ranger

Since finishing work I’ve been a greeting mess. So many happy memories as a child and then as an adult when he returned. Thank you gaffer.
I think that's what has hit me so hard today.

Walter was the Rangers manager when I first really started following Rangers as a kid, then gave me some of the best memories following Rangers as an adult.

Only Ally comes close to him.

If ever there is or was a Ranger I would like to meet in person, it would be Sir Walter.

Throughout the last 30+ years he was the epitome of everything Rangers FC stands for, what a Ranger stands for, what a good man stands for.

Sleep easy, Sir Walter!

No words can express the sheer gratitude, affection and admiration I hold for Walter Smith.

From the famous 9-in-a-row, a gallant '07 return, and not forgetting, our UEFA cup final.

Today we have lost, and I quote, a "gentlemen of the highest regard".

Rest in Peace, Gaffer.

When I saw the @mdingwall post this morning I was immediately distraught, but it's taken this long for me to try and find words to describe my respect, appreciation and man love for a true Rangers legend. Unfortunately, I still can't find the words.
I've watched all the tributes and admit that McCoist, Gerrard and Novo have all had me in tears.
Sad, sad day. RIP Walter and thank you for all the highs.

Walter Smith has has passed away

This morning, surrounded by his family, Walter slipped from this life to the next.

Our leader, our hero, our friend - has been promoted to Glory.

In a life full of success he brought us tears and laughter but always with old school values.

We thank him for his service.

This morning, surrounded by his family, Walter slipped from this life to the next.

In a life full of success he brought us tears and laughter but always with old school values.

Absolutely devastated by this news. Thoughts with Walter’s family.
What a hero this man is to me.
The Manager, The Man, The Legend, THE RANGER.

Amid the pain, grief, tributes, memories - here's a wee note of who is
sending RangersFC condolences on twitter:

Twitter condolences from the following FC's:

Aberdeen, England*, Liverpool, West Ham, WBA, Newcastle, Motherwell, Derby Co, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Wigan, Livingston, Clyde, Queens Park, St Mirren, Stenhousemuir, Ross Co, Albion Rovers,

*National Team rather than FA, I think.

Nothing from other side of the city - remember this rangers & bears.

No DM from SFA to RangersFC, just condolences in their own twitter account.

Aberdeen, England*, Liverpool, West Ham, WBA, Newcastle, Motherwell, Derby Co, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Wigan, Livingston, Clyde, Queens Park, St Mirren, Stenhousemuir, Ross Co, Albion Rovers,

Celtic did offer condolences tbf

Still feel absolutely numb. Never thought I'd be this sad about the passing of someone I never met. On the other hand he was a massive figure throw out growing up.

That’s not a complete list.

And I’m not sure what point is made by distinguishing messages of condolence to Rangers - such as Accies (not on your list) did - from public tributes on their own feeds.

FWIW:

1. Celtic made a decent tribute on their Twitter, and many of their fans have added replies.
2. I was actually a bit disappointed by Accies’ message - just condolences, no mention of Smith’s huge lifetime contribution.

I think the respect and affection for Walter Smith is universal.

Been at work all day without access to FF and tbh I wasn't looking forward to coming on as we've had some sad and emotional days on here and this is probably the worst :(

RIP Walter Smith

Back