Back Pages The death of Walter Smith OBE - the newspapers - 87 pages

Keith Jackson is no friend of our club but his article was very interesting and enjoyable to read. I hope we hear more about Walters struggle against Green behind the scenes in the boardroom as I’m sure he played a bigger part in gettting King et al than we know.

And who would have know Walter was pals with Richard Ashcroft and a big gig attending fan of The Verve. Greetin again

Keith Jackson is no friend of our club but his article was very interesting and enjoyable to read. I hope we hear more about Walters struggle against Green behind the scenes in the boardroom as I’m sure he played a bigger part in gettting King et al than we know.

And who would have know Walter was pals with Richard Ashcroft and a big gig attending fan of The Verve. Greetin again
Jackson’s piece was well done, for once.

Never realised that Walter had been diagnosed back in 2018. What a warrior. Just so sad

I have to admit to being slightly taken aback over by the reaction to Walter's passing, from a wide range of public figures as well as the footballing world.

It shows the high regard he was held in by so many people, not just for his achievements in football, but as a man who seemed to make friends wherever he went.

We were so blessed to have him. The very epitome of a Ranger.

I have to admit to being slightly taken aback over by the reaction to Walter's passing, from a wide range of public figures as well as the footballing world.

It shows the high regard he was held in by so many people, not just for his achievements in football, but as a man who seemed to make friends wherever he went.

You only really realise what you had when it’s gone. I know it’s daft, and I know he’d been very ill, but I still always thought he’d be around forever.

the thing that annoys me about these articles, it shows that when they stop trying to snipe at one particular club, these journalists can actually act in a human way, writing proper articles rather than clickbait all the time

Walter's legacy is that even when it's somebody who generally hates the club on a regular basis like most journalists up here, because of him they can forget that and write an article that comes from the heart because of the respect he gained from them and the fact they can't say a bad word about him because he was a gentleman.

The articles are some really nice stuff but it would be nice to see that a bit more rather than it being because of an occasion as sad as this is

You only really realise what you had when it’s gone. I know it’s daft, and I know he’d been very ill, but I still always thought he’d be around forever.
Exactly my thoughts this morning.

We all loved Walter, but I don't think we realised how much until yesterday.

The outpouring from every corner has also hammered it home, who he was, and what we had.

A huge loss to the Rangers' family in particular and the football world in general.

Thanks Mark much appreciated especially today. Still sinking in the fact that Sir Walter has passed on. He may be gone but he will never be forgotten, a true blue legend and all round gentleman.

Jackson’s piece was well done, for once.

Never realised that Walter had been diagnosed back in 2018. What a warrior. Just so sad
Putting bits and pieces of comments together it seems like he was diagnosed in 2018 but had thought he had beaten it and certainly looks healthier last year in Hunters podcast last august. Obviously it came back and in May Walter was given the awful prognosis. Fought it like a lion, the fact it passed us all by is testament to his character

The press obviously had immense respect for him, because no matter what we think of them, there's no doubt that they most certainly respected his and the families privacy with this.

Brilliant Mark, and a sincere thanks just for you, especially today for what you continue to do for the faithful, it is truely amazing.

Still finding the loss of Walter Smith very hard to accept.

Thank you again, Mark.
87 pages of heartbreak and respect.
With respect to you for that,
from we exiled Bears.

Many of those articals were a tough read.

I live down south so I don't get to see the Scottish papers. Thanks for sharing

I'm the same. I knew there'd be a huge outpouring from Rangers fans but the fact it was top story on Sky Sports all day with tributes coming from just about everyone shows how huge he was as a football figure.

Really hard to read some of that. Ibrox will be horrible tonight.
I disagree, I think you’ll see Rangers at its best tonight. Yes, it’ll be hard to take but once that whistle blows you’ll hear the noise like never before. He’ll be watching

Just saw a comment from SSN graphics creator guy, saying he has never seen anything like it.

Kind of getting tired of this message coming from the 'Eastenders' Lawwell, and now The 'Red Broonaldo' that because Walter, and Ally were pall bearer's at Tommy Burns funeral, that makes... them, decent guys.
Seriously? That's all you have?

A decent man like Walter, like Ally would carry their friend's casket.
I'm sure if Tommy Burns were still here, he would do the same.
Because that's what decent men, do.
They do the right thing.The decent thing.
Somethings actually, like friendship, transcend football rivalries.

The man was true, and decent, and deserves in my mind a better accolade than that.
Even from his bitterest rivals.

Back