Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Really? Wow! Article mentioned 25 currently in the class action. But that would be an incredible number. Talk about systemic.
Most experts seem to agree that around 1 in 10 victims of this type of crime come forward. Add the power the culprits and their employers held here. Then you have 250 pictures of naked boys. Each one is a victim.

A multimillion-pound lawsuit against Celtic FC by survivors of sexual abuse has taken a significant step forward.

About 25 victims of molestation at Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, have raised a class action under powers that have only recently come into use.

It has emerged that a hearing took place at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in which judge Lord Ericht agreed to allow the case to move to the next stage, which ensures lawyers for Celtic FC will need to respond to the allegations.

A summons is expected to be served on Celtic FC within the next two weeks.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors Scotland, said it would set out the alleged relationship between Celtic and Celtic Boys Club

Celtic previously said that it was “appalled by any form of historic abuse” but maintained it was a “separate entity” to the boys club, a claim which has been challenged by documents unearthed by The Times.

“This group action against Celtic has leapt the first hurdle,” McGuire said. “This an important milestone in the fight for justice for abuse survivors.

“The court has authorised the papers to be formally served on Celtic. That means the club will have to provide a formal written response to the case.”

He expected there would be a hearing before a judge in the new year.

“This should leave Celtic in absolutely no doubt that we’re serious about this fight and will pursue it with absolute commitment.,” he said. “We would hope the time for Celtic’s obfuscation has ended and the time for proper, meaningful dialogue is here. Celtic will have to defend this in court.”

Four men associated with Celtic Boys Club or Celtic have been convicted of sexual abuse against boys.

Last month Thompsons placed a public notice, a required first step in the “group proceedings” action, which urged other survivors to come forward. It says several others had been in contact with claims they suffered abuse and may now join the legal action.

Group proceedings were introduced into the legal system last year. They allow groups of two or more people with the same, or similar, claims to raise a single action in the Court of Session.

A Celtic FC spokesman told the Daily Record: “The club is continuing to deal with these sensitive matters in conjunction with its advisers.

“The club again expresses its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow to those affected and reiterates it will stand by its responsibilities, respecting the due process of law.”

A multimillion-pound lawsuit against Celtic FC by survivors of sexual abuse has taken a significant step forward.

About 25 victims of molestation at Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, have raised a class action under powers that have only recently come into use.

It has emerged that a hearing took place at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in which judge Lord Ericht agreed to allow the case to move to the next stage, which ensures lawyers for Celtic FC will need to respond to the allegations.

A summons is expected to be served on Celtic FC within the next two weeks.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors Scotland, said it would set out the alleged relationship between Celtic and Celtic Boys Club

Celtic previously said that it was “appalled by any form of historic abuse” but maintained it was a “separate entity” to the boys club, a claim which has been challenged by documents unearthed by The Times.

“This group action against Celtic has leapt the first hurdle,” McGuire said. “This an important milestone in the fight for justice for abuse survivors.

“The court has authorised the papers to be formally served on Celtic. That means the club will have to provide a formal written response to the case.”

He expected there would be a hearing before a judge in the new year.

“This should leave Celtic in absolutely no doubt that we’re serious about this fight and will pursue it with absolute commitment.,” he said. “We would hope the time for Celtic’s obfuscation has ended and the time for proper, meaningful dialogue is here. Celtic will have to defend this in court.”

Four men associated with Celtic Boys Club or Celtic have been convicted of sexual abuse against boys.

Last month Thompsons placed a public notice, a required first step in the “group proceedings” action, which urged other survivors to come forward. It says several others had been in contact with claims they suffered abuse and may now join the legal action.

Group proceedings were introduced into the legal system last year. They allow groups of two or more people with the same, or similar, claims to raise a single action in the Court of Session.

A Celtic FC spokesman told the Daily Record: “The club is continuing to deal with these sensitive matters in conjunction with its advisers.

“The club again expresses its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow to those affected and reiterates it will stand by its responsibilities, respecting the due process of law.”
The allegation that Celtc have indulged in obfuscation shames them.
It sums up the sort of people that are at the very heart of that football club and it reflects poorly on anyone connected to that club.
They all know what is going on and has gone on, yet they just brazen it out with no thoughts at all for the damage that occurred inside their organisation to so many lives.

Just the norm for Catholicism, it’s sickening. I knew a few lads who played with the boys club, one went to first team.I know there is debate about the open secret comment, but that’s what it was, everybody knew. I grew up knowing this. I remember things being sung about it I’m not going to repeat but everyone knew, everyone. Heartfelt thanks to all the guys who have worked on this. you have done the journalists and law clerks jobs for them. Again thanks to everyone of you.

Out of interest why does that article say only four men who were connected to Celtic FC & BC were convicted.

I thought it was more than double that?
There are actually 6 connected to cfc/cbc that have convictions. We also have a list with certain other names connected to the club along with priests.

P 1 (8 convictions)

3 convictions of shameless and indecent conduct between 1967 and 1974

3 victims

5 convictions of sexual abuse between 1986 and 1994

3 victims

P 2 (6 convictions)

6 convictions of indecent assault and two charges of lewd, indecent and libidinous practices from 1965 to 1986.

8 victims - 4 St Columba’s Boys Guild, 4 Celtic Boys Club.

Case Code - GE19010036

McCAFFERTY (13 convictions)

1 conviction of sexual abusing a boy in Belfast.

12 convictions of sexual assault on young players between 1972 and 1986.

KING (5 convictions)

5 convictions of lewd and libidinous behaviour

5 victims

CULLEN (1 conviction)

Indecency against boys as young as 10 (took 250 photographs)

STRACHAN (22)

1 conviction of indecent assault on a child.

1 conviction of sexual assault on a 5-year-old boy.

3 convictions for possessing indecent photographs of children.

1 conviction of making indecent photographs of children.

1 conviction of distributing indecent photographs of children.

1 conviction of raping an 18-month-old boy.

3 convictions of lewd, indecent and libidinous practices towards a child.

1 conviction of lewd, indecent and libidinous practices and behaviour towards a
6-year-old boy.

1 conviction of participation in the commission of sexual offences including lewd, indecent and libidinous practices and behaviour, indecent assault, rape, sodomy and assault against children.

2 convictions of discussing carrying out sexual offences and assault against a child.

1 conviction of meet up with another, for the purpose of gaining access to and
committing sexual offences against male children.

1 conviction of using electronic communication with another, to state a desire to share a child for the purposes of committing sexual offences.

6 convictions of using electronic communication with another, to gain access to a child for the purposes of taking indecent images and committing sexual offences.

If you count each of the boys in Cullen's 250 photographs as individual victims, the total of directly attributable and documented victims of paedophiles with Celtic FC/Celtic Boys Club connections is 285.

Total number of convictions is 55 - and that's not counting the convictions that will arise from P1 and P2 upcoming trials.

It surprises me that more is not reported in England, especially in Private Eye, with the connections to English football clubs, Saville, and RCC.

Is there perhaps an injunction out in England?

Just the norm for Catholicism, it’s sickening. I knew a few lads who played with the boys club, one went to first team.I know there is debate about the open secret comment, but that’s what it was, everybody knew. I grew up knowing this. I remember things being sung about it I’m not going to repeat but everyone knew, everyone. Heartfelt thanks to all the guys who have worked on this. you have done the journalists and law clerks jobs for them. Again thanks to everyone of you.
Should they have a transfer ban imposed until all court cases are resolved?
This thread for the most part has been great and the guys involved with Spotlight have been doing a fantastic job .
However we must be ultra careful with the posts.
This campaign must not be seen as an anti catholic thing or a vechicle for Rangers to gain some type of advantage.
This is not a Protestant v Catholic thing.
This is not a Rangers v Celtic thing.
This campaign, and the tremendous work done by folk on here is about one thing....getting justice for the folk who were abused and who had their lives ruined.
Please let folk think about that every time they post.
I think that perhaps the reason we have difficulty getting this mainstream and get more backing is that perhaps outsiders will see the campaign as some sort of pathetic Rangers v Celtic fans thing.
Let be smart and keep everything on focus.
BTW not having a personal dig at the two posts I highlighted . Just that they are the most recents examples of the type of post that, in my humble opinion, should perhaps not be made on such a serious issue.

Unfortunately the Scottish justice system continues to delay these trials and the Scottish apologist government want nothing more for it to go away.
One thing to remember though is if the beasts do die before justice is served then the club will still be there.
Hopefully they will be alive to face justice and die behind bars.
Fingers crossed. The justice system is a joke.

This thread for the most part has been great and the guys involved with Spotlight have been doing a fantastic job .
However we must be ultra careful with the posts.
This campaign must not be seen as an anti catholic thing or a vechicle for Rangers to gain some type of advantage.
This is not a Protestant v Catholic thing.
This is not a Rangers v Celtic thing.
This campaign, and the tremendous work done by folk on here is about one thing....getting justice for the folk who were abused and who had their lives ruined.
Please let folk think about that every time they post.
I think that perhaps the reason we have difficulty getting this mainstream and get more backing is that perhaps outsiders will see the campaign as some sort of pathetic Rangers v Celtic fans thing.
Let be smart and keep everything on focus.
BTW not having a personal dig at the two posts I highlighted . Just that they are the most recents examples of the type of post that, in my humble opinion, should perhaps not be made on such a serious issue.
I was pointing out its an accepted part of their religion. See the post above mine. In fact go and read about the scandal in Australia. The devil possessed these little children to tempt the clergy. That’s what they said. I’ve recently found out 2 friends from growing up are involved in this case. Guess what, they went to the catholic primary. It’s not a catholic vs Protestant thing. It’s a catholic thing the world over.

Last edited:
The ghastly news from Largs and Dumfries confirms that something was (maybe is still?) sick at the heart of the RC Church and many of its adherents...more and more I cannot help but link these deeds to the 'faith and culture' of their club. This is not sectarianism, but a clear line can be drawn between the attitudes to the cover ups...the acceptance...the shrug and "ach well".

I was pointing out its an accepted part of their religion. See the post above mine. In fact go and read about the scandal in Australia. The devil possessed these little children to tempt the clergy. That’s what they said. I’ve recently found out 2 friends from growing up are involved in this case. Guess what, they went to the catholic primary. It’s not a catholic vs Protestant thing. It’s a catholic thing the world over.

The confessional must be the priests equivelent of the 10 minute free view

I might be wrong with this but every time Celtic is in the news regarding court cases this inquiry seems to get more public.
The SFA inquiry and media in my opinion are trying to normalise it by engineering equivalences to their bastardised football team, trying to claim that it was rife and as such just one of them things that happened back then. This inquiry might also be getting rolled out selectively to try to drown out the noise of the paedophile ring.

We always promise to keep the thread up to date as much as we can with what we can. Those that follow us obviously know we’ve always done this and will continue to do so.
Today, Spotlight uncovered more evidence that’s never been seen. It’s never been in the public domain.
We can assure you that it’s been passed to the appropriate people.
Again I apologise that this is all we can say at the moment, but when we do release it then you’ll understand why.

We always promise to keep the thread up to date as much as we can with what we can. Those that follow us obviously know we’ve always done this and will continue to do so.
Today, Spotlight uncovered more evidence that’s never been seen. It’s never been in the public domain.
We can assure you that it’s been passed to the appropriate people.
Again I apologise that this is all we can say at the moment, but when we do release it then you’ll understand why.
Unbelievable that there is yet more new stuff coming out even now.

One day the dam will burst.

Just what was walfrids intentions when he set up that school given the organisation he belonged to now has a lenghty rap sheet for physical and sexual abuse of children at these places they ran?

Just what kind of a man was this "brother" ?

Could this have been going on since 1888?
Walfrids intentions hmmmm. Let's think about that.

A monk who inhibits his natural feelings. Who sets up a football club to keep his flock out of the protestant soup kitchens.

Bastard Pervert.

I started typing out a post about who, in Celtic Football Club, actually knew about the abuse of children at the club and have commented on it in one way or another, and I was going to do a list of names.
I was then going to ask people to add anyone who I had missed.

While compiling the names in my head and doing some research, I have had to stop and have a re-think.

There are dozens of former players, managers and other people who are either staying silent about this, or haven’t been asked the right questions by the right people.

It is beyond time for a full public enquiry into the worlds biggest sporting scandal and cover up, giving all the victims of these crimes all the support and justice they deserve.

@Stoorie the problem with public enquiries is they still don’t guarantee people will come forward or even if they do, they still might not tell the truth.

The current civil route and now group action, is, if conducted as it is designed to be, should give the victims the outcome they need, deserve and have waited decades for.

A public enquiry would only be useful in preventing the systematic abuse from recurring and, I hope I’m right, but the background checks in place now should do that.

A public enquiry, in my opinion, would have no jurisdiction in any football related punishments that should be applied to the club who have, allegedly, allowed a paedophile ring to run for many decades and, as previously hinted at, potentially from its creation.

The only place that it may be useful is to pressure the football governing bodies to withdraw association football membership due to the horrendous crimes they were allowed to commit with, what appears to be, the knowledge of the parent association.

But how guilty are they in all of this?

My heart sinks every time more evidence comes to light about the poor souls who were preyed on by the despicable creatures they trusted.

I can't begin to understand the thinking of those who defend/ deny/ ignore the evil creatures who committed these acts of such depravity.

Regardless of allegiance my heart genuinely goes out to each and every victim of those vile creatures.

There are dozens of former players, managers and other people who are either staying silent about this, or haven’t been asked the right questions by the right people.
It sickening to know that there are former Celtic players that were on the verge of going public but did not due to family pressure to the extent of being threatened with expulsion from the family.

Just what was walfrids intentions when he set up that school given the organisation he belonged to now has a lenghty rap sheet for physical and sexual abuse of children at these places they ran?

Just what kind of a man was this "brother" ?

Could this have been going on since 1888?

It's always going to be difficult to prove what you are saying now, unless it was written down and documented elsewhere in the late 1800s, early 1900s by victims. Although with several organisations tied to that religion continually under investigation for abuse, sports clubs shouldn't be ruled out.

However, one comment I made (and a few others have made too) was regarding the original set up of CBC by an 18/19 year old. How was this managed so easily? Especially when it was in the name of one of Britain's biggest football clubs at that time.

It's hard to imagine he was the first abuser involved, without a "mentor" who had been using the club and saw the setting up of a boys club as a lucrative proposition for their crimes. Who that mentor was, I don't know.

Time for SMS journos to get on the job in the East End

Pope thanks journalists for helping expose Church sex scandals​

Reuters

2 minute read
Pope Francis speaks during a meeting with people who have made a pilgrimage to the Assisi, during a private visit, ahead of World Day of the Poor, at Santa Maria degli Angeli basilica, in Assisi, Italy, November 12, 2021. REUTERS/Yara Nardi

Pope Francis speaks during a meeting with people who have made a pilgrimage to the Assisi, during a private visit, ahead of World Day of the Poor, at Santa Maria degli Angeli basilica, in Assisi, Italy, November 12, 2021. REUTERS/Yara Nardi
VATICAN CITY, Nov 13 (Reuters) - Pope Francis on Saturday thanked journalists for helping uncover the clerical sexual abuse scandals that the Roman Catholic Church initially tried to cover up.
The pope praised what he called the "mission" of journalism and said it was vital for reporters to get out of their newsrooms and discover what was happening in the outside world to counter misinformation often found online.

"(I) thank you for what you tell us about what is wrong in the Church, for helping us not to sweep it under the carpet, and for the voice you have given to the abuse victims," the pope said.
Francis was speaking at a ceremony to honour two veteran correspondents -- Philip Pullella of Reuters and Valentina Alazraki of Mexico's Noticieros Televisa -- for their long careers spent covering the Vatican.

The sexual abuse scandals hit the headlines in 2002, when U.S. daily The Boston Globe wrote a series of articles exposing a pattern of abuse of minors by clerics and a widespread culture of concealment within the Church.
Since then, scandals have rocked the Church in myriad countries, most recently France where a major investigation found in October that French clerics had sexually abused more than 200,000 children over the past 70 years. read more

Critics accused Francis of responding too slowly to the scandals after he became Pontiff in 2013 and of believing the word of his fellow clergy over that of the abuse victims.
But in 2018 he tried to address past mistakes, publicly admitting he was wrong about a case in Chile and vowing that the Church would never again seek to cover up such wrongdoing. In 2019 he called for an "all-out battle" against a crime that should be "erased from the face of the earth".

Francis on Saturday said journalists had a mission "to explain the world, to make it less obscure, to make those who live in it less fear it".
To do that, he said reporters needed to "escape the tyranny" of always being online. "Not everything can be told through email, the phone, or a screen," he said.
Reporting by Crispian Balmer Editing by Frances Kerry

Back