Day 1 - GVB

Always find these videos fascinating even if they give bugger all away.

A distinct voice in the background saying "more energy" at 07:18 in the video.

Trying to tame Ryan Kent would be a bad start for any coaching team so I'm going to try and not think too much into the comment.

Defoe wearing blue instead of black suggests to me that he might become a playing option again.

Don't see it as attempting to tame Kent really. Probably a good idea they get back to basics first and foremost. Such is our issues at the moment. A lot of players not doing the basics well at all. Besides it's a small glimpse at their first ever training session, for all we know they praised Kent before and after that comment.

The drill they are doing when he tells Kent tricks are for the circus is a drill where they are under constant pressure and trying to keep the ball. Maybe he’s telling him not to do that in this type of situation, especially if he’s just given the ball away. I’m sure in attacking drills they’ll be happy for Kent to be skinning folk.

Edit: Watching it again, Kent isn’t anywhere near the ball when he says that, so don’t even think it’s aimed at Kent.

Last edited:
Brain fart moment there he looks far bigger in these videos than he does on the pitch !!

father-ted-caravan-752x501.jpg

Trying to tame Ryan Kent would be a bad start for any coaching team so I'm going to try and not think too much into the comment.

Defoe wearing blue instead of black suggests to me that he might become a playing option again.

Dont agree. If they want to have one touch football they dont need tricks that lose the ball. Im sure there will be a place for them in the future.

I don’t want to be a doom monger and I know it’s the mangers first training session but it’s worrying how little smiles there were. Just looking very much of going through the motions
Really, it’s not about smiles re the happy smile club - it’s about getting focussed on winning a crucial tie on Thursday - They can all smile and laugh collectively after job done on Thursday nigh.

After the manager is happy with their input - The workplace is not about laughs,it’s about getting the job done in the first instance.

I don’t want to be a doom monger and I know it’s the mangers first training session but it’s worrying how little smiles there were. Just looking very much of going through the motions
There were a few smiles 39 seconds in. :rolleyes:

Jeezo

That drill is about one touch passing and moving it quickly.

He’s effectively saying - stop d*cking about

Not sure it extends to taming Ryan Kent

We don't even know if that comment was directed at Kent in particular, it may have been to the whole group to get the point of the training drill across. Likewise, Goldson being told by Van Bronkhorst about the defensive shape in his system, possibly. We simply don't know the context of some of things pointed to in this thread.

Although I agree with this and Kent’s dribbling is one of his best attributes, he’s slowed down to walking pace and ruined far too many attacks this season trying to overcomplicate things.

It’s probably not the worst thing going back to basics and incisively passing and moving.

We don't even know if that comment was directed at Kent in particular, it may have been to the whole group to get the point of the training drill across. Likewise, Goldson being told by Van Bronkhorst about the defensive shape in his system, possibly. We simply don't know the context of some of things pointed to in this thread.

It's clearly directed at Kent.

These guys will have done their homework, no question about it. Roy Makaay throughout his career has always been regarded as a top, top professional.

Kent is the most talented player we have but his decison-making is very questionable. We all know that.

Makaay probably already knows that too, hence the comment. We're not in the "just express yourself" realm of coaching anymore. Total professionals like Makaay expect end results and have worked with players well above Kent's level. He knows what he's doing - it's proper, Euro style coaching and no doubt is testing the temperament of Kent as well to respond. GVB already stated this.

Our season starts here. For some players they are playing for a place in the team. Others are playing for a move and the next step in their careers. Whatever the motivation we need more from this group of players than we have had recently. I can’t help thinking Alfie is at a real crossroads. If he responds well then the world is his oyster. If not I fear for him. One thing it’s not going to be is dull! Exciting times ahead I think.

Back