Arthur Numan astonished by Goldson comments

Bassey can play CB, Simpson I guess.

It's whether or not he's prepared to accept that mentality tbh and whether Goldson steps up between now and Thursday.

Feels like cutting off our nose to spite our face. We'd be out of Europe and would lose both our next two domestic games. Would you be able to accept that to make an example of Goldson? Long term, it might prove to be a net positive as it could shock the rest into action, but it would be a massive risk with the programme of fixtures we have coming up. Sparta, Livi, Hibs, Hearts and Lyon are five of our next seven, with four of them away from home, and us likely needing to get a result in all of them.

Also, need to consider whether the Woman's B-Team could spare Simpson as he's a great option off the bench for them.

I do think it's interesting which ex players offer comments at different eras of the club.

Numan never said much during Gerrard, his Dutch pal Gio gets the job? Has us right under the microscope.

I don't include wee Barry Ferguson in this line of thinking, he'd offer comment on anything even if not asked.
It's interesting, but I can't recall a Rangers player after a defeat coming away with some of the statements that Goldson offered.

We have former players and captains from various squads in our past coming out to say how surprised they are.

Personally if it was up to me I’d never want to see Goldson in a Rangers shirt again, many on here will disagree with me and I realise we are currently struggling for options at CB but that interview on Sunday should spell the end for him. Probably for the best I’m not the manager tho and I’ll trust Gio’s judgement whatever his decision ends up being.

Numan and Gough have both been absolutely spot on in their assessments.

Goldson knew what he was saying in that interview would be picked up on by the fans and media.
The guy is clearly working his ticket and said interview gave him the opportunity to speed up the process in my view.
Don’t think he’s as clever as he thinks he is, his loser mentality will be a red flag for any teams looking at him.
Take Souter as an example we may or not have an interest in him but imagine he came out with the exact same words as Goldson, we then sign him...the fans would have him on a shoogly peg from the off with his weak character

Wonder if this is coordinated. With Gerrard gone, maybe the board have finally run out of patience with Goldson, contract off the table and preparing to ship him in January. Not sure it's the best thing for team morale to see this going on in the press, but for all we know Goldson might have pissed his teammates off as much as he has most of us.

Well said Arthur Numan! I think it’s fair to assume that GVB might have had a hand in those comments. It’s more diplomatic for an ex player to come out and say them in the press, I’m quite sure that privately GVB has left Goldson and Co. in no uncertain terms about his feelings…

Surely this is one post nobody on FF will disagree on.
I don’t see why not. Until now comments made by Gough and Numan were deemed “tim talk”. Maybe having actually serial winners make these remarks will finally get the message through to people that actually, 1 from 10 is fairly pish regardless of how magnificent that 1 was.

Last edited:
Wonder if this is coordinated. With Gerrard gone, maybe the board have finally run out of patience with Goldson, contract off the table and preparing to ship him in January. Not sure it's the best thing for team morale to see this going on in the press, but for all we know Goldson might have pissed his teammates off as much as he has most of us.
I’ll say it now, I’ll be disgusted if that contract is still there for him. He can do one, he no longer deserves to be a Rangers player because he’s an absolute chancer now.

I hope that's not the case.

Gio has no option but to play Goldson in the weeks ahead. These headlines are going to massively increase the pressure on the player and make sure every little mistake he makes will get him all kinds of abuse from the stands. That helps nobody but our opponents.

Goldson is finished at Rangers, that interview has to mean he leaves when possible. Gio must know that. But we have games to win meantime.
As the saying goes. Don't burn your bridges behind you. We need Goldson until we have a replacement.

Goldson knew what he was saying in that interview would be picked up on by the fans and media.
The guy is clearly working his ticket and said interview gave him the opportunity to speed up the process in my view.

Exactly what I thought when I seen his interview.

It's whether or not he's prepared to accept that mentality tbh and whether Goldson steps up between now and Thursday.
I think the point has been made not only GvB himself in his subtle way but with this Numan comment to me that is a surrogate strike .

Dh1963 made a related point too about this amounting to greater presssure on CG I would say that he asked for it so if he can talk the talk then walk it like a proper Ranger . His bluff is called .

Wrt to him he will of course now be gone in January we don’t want bad rubbish and I’m still of the view the insult he chucked at our new management team was scandalous . If he does not publicly apologise and do so genuinely and fully then I will have no respect for that man .

Last edited:
The media are running with this to unsettle the Club at a vital point of the season.

Maybe the ex-players shouldn’t be piling on just yet.
I think GvB would want this told tbh it is vital that this attitude is slapped right down that guys throat , not ideal it’s in the news but he publicised the notion and thr next stop i would like to see is Tavernier say no other player felt that way and they totally disassociate themselves from his views .
I’m not sure he even sensed that that interview will doom his future opportunities as others have already pointed out he is damaged goods .

Let him feel the force of his toxic action

Who exactly do we play in his place.
This is the question agree .

But I will never criticise the manger for taking action on this if he feels he has to . It’s his call and I totally understand that being on the inside is the place to be when deciding . I totally support GvB whichever way it falls .

Thought his form had just dipped a bit this season but now this whole mentality thing, and working his ticket is becoming clear. Disgraceful.

We will remember him fondly as a mainstay in the 55 team but…. Time to go.

Question is whether Gio drops him now or tries to rely on him until January.
Either way it could go badly wrong.
For Thursday how about a back 4 of: Patterson Baolgun Bassey Barisic
Thoughts?

Use the concept - no one came knocking because we didn’t alert people.

Goldson would have had a buyer. He was a mainstay in the best defence in Britain. He’s English. Big, strong, relatively fast. Good with the ball. He’s commanding a fee last summer.

Maybe not the dip in form, but it was a £6m mistake in letting him run his contract down. It sets a precedent, it’s set a standard in the camp now.

We won the league on the 7th March. Offer should have been tabled and deadline within 12 weeks. Don’t want it - then out the door he goes.
You forgot the fact he doesn't concentrate and when he doesn't he gets the piss ripped

Thought his form had just dipped a bit this season but now this whole mentality thing, and working his ticket is becoming clear. Disgraceful.

Thoughts?
Could you see Patterson in right CD mate ?

So back four of Tav , Patterson , balogun , barisic ?

We really would be in the doooodooooo if balogun was ruled out due to injury

I think the point has been made not only GvB himself in his subtle way but with this Numan comment to me that is a surrogate strike .

Dh1963 made a related point too about this amounting to greater presssure on CG I would say that he asked for it so if he can talk the talk then walk it like a proper Ranger . His bluff is called .

Wrt to him he will of course now be gone in January we don’t want bad rubbish and I’m still of the view the insult he chucked at our new management team was scandalous . If he does not publicly apologise and do so genuinely and fully then I will have no respect for that man .

What is this insult you are talking about mate, i have seen a few people mention it now.

Goldson’s time is up.

I think he’s good, but he’s checked out and we need to move on.

Wilson got it wrong. If he hadn’t signed on the deadline (let’s say 30th May), then we should have actively punted him in the summer.

We played the game and got burnt.
Ross Wilson would have a magician if he could sell a player no one wants to buy and hadn't any offers

We were better for Goldson than he was for us , he’ll realise that at some point in his career once he’s gone… he’ll have just the one medal and memories from a fantastic season…. Hopefully gio tells convinces him to stay and give it everything until the end of the season, win us the league and it’s a whole new day… simple

I think GvB would want this told tbh it is vital that this attitude is slapped right down that guys throat , not ideal it’s in the news but he publicised the notion and thr next stop i would like to see is Tavernier say no other player felt that way and they totally disassociate themselves from his views .
I’m not sure he even sensed that that interview will doom his future opportunities as others have already pointed out he is damaged goods .

Let him feel the force of his toxic action

We’ve a title to win and in the short term, Goldson is the best defensive option. Agree with him that we’ll sell in January and hope it spurs him on to ensure the best move possible.

The media want to present a crisis. It’s not - yet.

Judging by the training video today and the glimpse of Goldson chatting with Ryan Jack, I doubt the squad are as upset as the support with the comments.

I think the sooner goldson leaves us the better for all concerned. I’m worried his attitude might be infecting the rest of the team. This idea that you are above the role, the club, the fans and that you’re playing beneath your pay grade can really impact morale. We need players who respect the club and would run through a brick wall for us. Just my perception of him right now, hope I’m wrong but he’s not exactly making himself at home is he?

We were better for Goldson than he was for us , he’ll realise that at some point in his career once he’s gone… he’ll have just the one medal and memories from a fantastic season…. Hopefully gio tells convinces him to stay and give it everything until the end of the season, win us the league and it’s a whole new day… simple

Yeah feel the same. It looks like he sees himself playing in the EPL. He’ll soon find himself in the Championship playing in front of half empty stadiums.

We had posters on here saying it was a brilliant interview and he said nothing wrong, incredible how low the standards have sunk with the support.
I don’t remember anyone saying that. Everyone was disgusted by his can’t come back from two goals down surrender comment, but the less deranged among us heard him say more than just that. He told the truth that has been obvious to most of us about attitudes and ignoring instructions from the staff. Working his ticket or not, that needed said. The low standards are what has led to the one in ten trophy winners being elevated to legend status by most on here. I am grateful for 55, but legends they are not. Sorry.

Gio has every reason to talk to Goldson.
"Are you committed to this club or not son?".
Unfortunately we are dreadfully short at centre half or I would bin him ASAP.

Thoughts?
Did you just meet us Rangers fans? If he plays until January then leaves, he'll be remembered more for those comments than his play during 55.

For the record, when I saw his comments on Sunday, I thought he was talking about himself.

I don’t remember anyone saying that. Everyone was disgusted by his can’t come back from two goals down surrender comment, but the less deranged among us heard him say more than just that. He told the truth that has been obvious to most of us about attitudes and ignoring instructions from the staff. Working his ticket or not, that needed said. The low standards are what has led to the one in ten trophy winners being elevated to legend status by most on here. I am grateful for 55, but legends they are not. Sorry.

People litterally said that, go back and read it. It needed said but not on tv for all our opponents to see and media. What should never have been said is that they gave up when it was 3 - 1 at half time.

Of course he's right, nobody can dispute it.

I just wish the great ex players had kept their thoughts in house in a week our new manager has a massive first game and needs to win it with the squad that's there.

Gio will sort out Goldson, he won't need reminded.
Gio may have asked him? Never know. I don't mind ex players having an opinion (I think plenty have earned it), even if I don't agree with it. On this occasion I do.

I would say Goldaon shouldn't have said the comments imo as it shows a lack of professionalism and togetherness within the squad, albeit they may be true.

I remember Rangers of bygone days as always being a private club who dealt with most things internally without the need to wash the dirty linen in public.

Management need to get each player on individually, show them these comments and ask them if they feel this is talking about them or not, so they can plan ahead who to get rid of!

I met Arthur in one of my my few times in corporate hospitality. It was the day of Adrian spoule. For one he was absolutely raging . For two he had excellent insight on why that day went wrong. No one should ever doubt his commitment to rangers ( he lives it beyond his time ) or his ability as a player and analysis to see problems.
We have had various opinions on goldsons comments on here but frankly when this guy gets pissed we should listen. He bleeds rangers.
Ivan Sproule? Maybe confusing with Adrian Sprott, which was the Souness era.

We pressed the gamble button and bet on us beating Malmo.

The gamble has totally backfired.
The squad was more than capable of beating Malmo and indeed reaching the groups of the CL.

That some of the players have checked out and lost their professionalism is something that sits/sat with Gerrard.

To allow Alfie to have an extended break in Colombia when we had known for 4 months we’d be without Roofe was simply put, insanity.

I’ve always liked Numan. A world class left back. He is the only left back in my life-time who was as good as Eric Caldow. Numan always speaks well of us. A real nice guy. For him to speak out about Goldson’s comments tells us fans a lot. I had hoped Arthur would have been asked to join the backroom staff. An oustanding player and gentleman first class.

Goldson saying at 3-1 he felt the game was done is really piss poor

We had 45 mins to get 2 goals and extra time

Hibs scored 3 in under 40 mins ffs

That attitude is one we have seen too many times with this squad

Yes last season was brilliant and 55 was what we all craved last season but the vice Captain saying this is unacceptable

You may be right. Something needs to be said about it. It’s not an acceptable attitude for a player at Rangers.

For someone who spent so long out of football due to ill health, to then have the good fortune to land at a club like Rangers, big Conner's comments are utterly perplexing.

Bassey “can” play centre back but we all remember his performance against Sparta Prague? Positionally he was all over the place.

Goldson's comments were absolute defeatist comments, and as someone has already stated he is "working his ticket", for me he has been working his ticket all season, from not signing a new contract and to the comments recently, his heart is not in it.
I am glad Numan and Gough highlighted Goldson's defeatist attitude, where is the no surrender attitude that is associated with Rangers, giving up at half time when the game could easily been salvaged.... Shocking!

Must he? maybe he’s working his ticket, trying to get released in January rather than having to sign a pre with someone?
He’s not getting released in January.

There’s 3 options for him (none of which involve him staying at Rangers thankfully)

Option A - sign pre-contract agreement at another club before said club agree a fee with Rangers to let him leave in January.

Option B - signs pre-contract agreement, club don’t feel they can let him go if the nominal fee offered isn’t enough & stays until summer before leaving.

Option C - Nobody comes in for him in January to offer him a contract (wouldn’t be surprised) - he runs it right down & ends up agreeing a deal later in the season with another club.

Back