Arthur Numan astonished by Goldson comments

This Goldson thing is starting to grow legs and arms and needs stopped..it's becoming a bit of a circus. We know the deal now. Gio doesn't need this shit going on when he's just in the job doing his thing. On another note regarding Goldson,he'll regret it when he's away from rangers just like most when it happens. He really isn't as good as he thinks he is. We'll sort it and find better.

I do think it's interesting which ex players offer comments at different eras of the club.

Numan never said much during Gerrard, his Dutch pal Gio gets the job? Has us right under the microscope.

I don't include wee Barry Ferguson in this line of thinking, he'd offer comment on anything even if not asked.
That’s the whole point, Numan will have been asked now it’s Gio in charge. The approach will have been made by the press, not the other way round.

Just waiting on Karl Svensson adding his tuppence worth.

We get it,he made a lady's front bottom of it.
Good luck to GvB trying to restore any confidence in possibly our only available CB for Thursday night while his ex Rangers take continued potshots.

This is solid and it would not be at all surprising to think GvB wanted that in the press

I would highly doubt he would personally, if he wanted it known re what Goldson should or shouldn't say he would most likely speak to him, he made mention of doing exactly that with his players at his press conference.

Unsure what is being achieved by keeping this going on

Gerrard in his Villa interview recently stated that he had fulfilled his remit at Rangers.
When you take that attitude into consideration is it any wonder the players are also in the frame of mind of having lost hunger etc.
It's been clear since start of season that Gerrard had switched off, that attitude then rubs off on players.
It's clearly obvious that a rot has set in, started by previous management, Goldson was being honest in his interview, my issue with the comments is that he doesn't seem to realise he's as guilty as the rest. He's certainly not the player he thinks he is.

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”

Well said!

Goldson and rest of the squad getting it tight again and rightly so.Some of these players need to take a right good f ucking look themselves.They should be embarrassed.

Numan is a man who knows what is required of a Rangers player. A man who did it time and time again. World class in his prime IMO.

Yet you had clowns on here agreeing with Goldson at the weekend. Pathetic.

I know who I'd rather listen to. I'm sure Gio will too.

Goldson needs called out and he needs to know why he’s being called out, I’m not too sure he does. What he also needs along with a lot of them is our new management team to build their confidence back up. There’s no point in dropping him with inadequate cover, he needs shown the way not the door!

Not really fussed who we replace him with, Simpson seems obvious but a youth player, B team. At least despite being less of a player ( on previous form at least) they will work and fight for 90 minutes.

I’m going to play devils advocate here. Goldson wasn’t referring to himself, what if he was calling others out and knew that there would be a strong reaction after his comments? I still believe he shouldn’t have came out with those comments.

Have seen how this plays out so many times in the past . The majority of supporters have now got it in for Goldson, the contract issue and the comments. The first mistake on Thursday night and he will get it, if they get a goal or a chance even three or four passages of play after something Goldson did then the anger will explode.

I feel for GVB as he inherited this situation with limited alternatives. Baseey or one of the young centrql defenders don't deserve to become the scapegoat. Goldson is going to have to get through Thursday night and keep going until the window opens. He will get his move to the championship . Rangers will probably lose out on much needed funds due to Gerrard holding the board to ransom in the summer.

Just waiting on Karl Svensson adding his tuppence worth.

We get it,he made a lady's front bottom of it.
Good luck to GvB trying to restore any confidence in possibly our only available CB for Thursday night while his ex Rangers take continued potshots.

It's Arthur Numan, i think he might be worth listening too over Svensson? Unless you find Numan's achievements in football and friendship with Gio similar to what Karl achieved in football?

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”

Arthur always did get it.

A hero of mine.

Spot on

Goldson is weak willed. Falls to bits under pressure
That's not really a fair reflection of him though; I'm critical of his comments after the last game, but overall he has been outstanding. I hope we move him on in January, unless, of course, he signs a new contract; if he doesn't, though, then it's best all round that he leaves as soon as possible.

Gio has a few days to look at what he's got to work with, and it'll be a big statement whether he plays Goldson or not on Thursday.
Goldson will play on Thursday because there’s literally no other option. Would you like to see a combination of balogun and bassey because I sure as hell wouldn’t.

It's interesting, but I can't recall a Rangers player after a defeat coming away with some of the statements that Goldson offered.

We have former players and captains from various squads in our past coming out to say how surprised they are.

Yes, a pretty astonishing comment for a Rangers player to make, especially an experienced player who’s been a few years at the club.

Goldson has done his chances of getting a new team a sore one, what team with any dreams of winning silverware would sign someone with that outlook-attitude

The pile on in the media needs to stop now from the ex players. Goldson will most likely be playing the next run of games up until January, let’s get behind the team again. We’ve literally no other option but to play him.

Goldson’s time is up.

I think he’s good, but he’s checked out and we need to move on.

Wilson got it wrong. If he hadn’t signed on the deadline (let’s say 30th May), then we should have actively punted him in the summer.

We played the game and got burnt.
He’s a reasonably good defender but no where near as good as he thinks he is.
Give me a Marvin Andrews over a Goldson every time.
Maybe more limited in football ability but 100% effort every time and could do what it said on the tin, Defend.

I remember Numan getting ripped into by Ian Ferguson, after a 5-1 defeat at the piggery.

Fergie felt certain players weren't hurting enough and had no idea how the support were feeling.

Advocaat just stood back and let him tear into them.

Ross Wilson would have a magician if he could sell a player no one wants to buy and hadn't any offers

Crouchy is right - if we made it known that we were open to offers we would’ve got some.

We may not have liked them but I think had we engaged agents to sell then I think it would happen

Yes, a pretty astonishing comment for a Rangers player to make, especially an experienced player who’s been a few years at the club.
Especially when the team is no stranger to coming back from being down a goal. To come from a goal down from a goal behind needs two goals, and two goals in that second half take it to extra-time; his comments were, as you say, astonishing.

I’m going to play devils advocate here. Goldson wasn’t referring to himself, what if he was calling others out and knew that there would be a strong reaction after his comments? I still believe he shouldn’t have came out with those comments.
He should take a look at himself before having a go at others then. He’s the vice captain and talking of others not following instructions at corners and throw ins, get them told, organise your box! For me this is on Gerrard, it’s all well saying the team should have put a performance on, but he’s had his eye on the door since the start of the season, he’s let complacency, apathy and standards fall, had he his eye on the ball our form at the back just doesn’t dip like this. Gio needs to pick them up and remind Goldson of what he’s saying in front of the camera. Behind closed doors is where you vent your anger or in his case feeling sorry for himself!

It's becoming clearer that winning the title last season has come at a cost

The manager wasn't happy the funding was turned off even though he wasn't receptive to selling anyone in order to fund new signings

The players were either promised moves or they failed to materialise for whatever reason. They has led to several of them checking out mentally.

The veteran players were asked to go one more season, which at this point, seems to be a season too far. One of them has been allowed to do live TV punditry elsewhere when we're playing.

The end result is what we're seeing now. Players unable to go again physically or mentally. Players working their ticket. Players downing tools. Players telling the TV that a 3-1 deficit is game over. Players accusing team mates of losing hunger. The manager pissing off 10 days before a semi final and a European shoot out. The new manager being afforded very little wiggle room in either team selection in key areas or in the transfer market in January.

If the title didn't come with 99.9% guaranteed CL money at the end of it, I'd almost be tempted to tell Gio to use January to get those players who don't want to be here and begin the massive rebuild that awaits us next summer. For what it's worth, I think we are going to lose a 'big' player in January for no other reason than it's the only way it'll fund badly need reinforcements. The fear is it'll be Patterson.

Gio has walked into a powderkeg situation. There are players taking the piss out of the club. If they don't shape up, then this 4 point lead will evaporate by mid December.

Personally if it was up to me I’d never want to see Goldson in a Rangers shirt again, many on here will disagree with me and I realise we are currently struggling for options at CB but that interview on Sunday should spell the end for him. Probably for the best I’m not the manager tho and I’ll trust Gio’s judgement whatever his decision ends up being.

Numan and Gough have both been absolutely spot on in their assessments.
Spot on

I back what he says.

AN is the kind of man you want to stand beside when it gets tough.

A man of determination and steel.

A winner.

Why did you mention Adrian Sprott then :))
Because he said Adrian Sproule and I politely suggested to him that he meant Ivan Sproule and was confusing him with Adrian Sprott, who, you know fine well, played for Accies during the Souness era and f*cked us out the Scottish. However if you read my original reply, you would have deduced that.

Back