Arthur Numan astonished by Goldson comments

I think most people are. Goldson badly let himself down by coming away with the comments he did and for me has pretty much removed himself as a Rangers player. Certainly as vice-captain. Even if he had a point he should be trying to hammer that home in the dressing room and with Gio - not on live TV after having their arses handed to them with no fight.

Because he said Adrian Sproule and I politely suggested to him that he meant Ivan Sproule and was confusing him with Adrian Sprott, who, you know fine well, played for Accies during the Souness era and f*cked us out the Scottish. However if you read my original reply, you would have deduced that.
Remember both games well unfortunately.

It's becoming clearer that winning the title last season has come at a cost

The manager wasn't happy the funding was turned off even though he wasn't receptive to selling anyone in order to fund new signings

The players were either promised moves or they failed to materialise for whatever reason. They has led to several of them checking out mentally.

The veteran players were asked to go one more season, which at this point, seems to be a season too far. One of them has been allowed to do live TV punditry elsewhere when we're playing.

The end result is what we're seeing now. Players unable to go again physically or mentally. Players working their ticket. Players downing tools. Players telling the TV that a 3-1 deficit is game over. Players accusing team mates of losing hunger. The manager pissing off 10 days before a semi final and a European shoot out. The new manager being afforded very little wiggle room in either team selection in key areas or in the transfer market in January.

If the title didn't come with 99.9% guaranteed CL money at the end of it, I'd almost be tempted to tell Gio to use January to get those players who don't want to be here and begin the massive rebuild that awaits us next summer. For what it's worth, I think we are going to lose a 'big' player in January for no other reason than it's the only way it'll fund badly need reinforcements. The fear is it'll be Patterson.

Gio has walked into a powderkeg situation. There are players taking the piss out of the club. If they don't shape up, then this 4 point lead will evaporate by mid December.
Mate, I don’t buy the funding or players being promised moves. Gerrard will have been told quality for the CL and money is there. That squad is more than capable of winning those 2 qualifiers. All that is on Gerrard and from there he’s had his eye on the door, it’s his failure and it’s laid bare the limitations of our club and league financially so he’s fucked off.

The manager wasn't happy the funding was turned off even though he wasn't receptive to selling anyone in order to fund new signings

The players were either promised moves or they failed to materialise for whatever reason. They has led to several of them checking out mentally.

The veteran players were asked to go one more season, which at this point, seems to be a season too far. One of them has been allowed to do live TV punditry elsewhere when we're playing.

The end result is what we're seeing now. Players unable to go again physically or mentally. Players working their ticket. Players downing tools. Players telling the TV that a 3-1 deficit is game over. Players accusing team mates of losing hunger. The manager pissing off 10 days before a semi final and a European shoot out. The new manager being afforded very little wiggle room in either team selection in key areas or in the transfer market in January.

If the title didn't come with 99.9% guaranteed CL money at the end of it, I'd almost be tempted to tell Gio to use January to get those players who don't want to be here and begin the massive rebuild that awaits us next summer. For what it's worth, I think we are going to lose a 'big' player in January for no other reason than it's the only way it'll fund badly need reinforcements. The fear is it'll be Patterson.

Gio has walked into a powderkeg situation. There are players taking the piss out of the club. If they don't shape up, then this 4 point lead will evaporate by mid December.
I think Gerrard will come for Patterson in January.

My thoughts exactly.

We went all in for 55 and now players what their big bucks moves elsewhere; Gerrard saw the writing was on the wall.

It's a perfect storm of players not wanting to be here, no transfer funds and our whole management team fleeing the shitshow.

Gio needs something of a miracle to avoid a ramshackle Celtic walking away with our title.

I can picture the scene in the dressing room, last year, with Gerrard telling them to keep going and earn their big money moves. They did keep going and the moves only materialised for the coaching staff.

Bassey “can” play centre back but we all remember his performance against Sparta Prague? Positionally he was all over the place.
He’s never a centre half and can’t win a ball in the air there.

We need to sadly stick with the weak of mind Goldson for the next six weeks. After that, he’s gone and finished

Especially when the team is no stranger to coming back from being down a goal. To come from a goal down from a goal behind needs two goals, and two goals in that second half take it to extra-time; his comments were, as you say, astonishing.

And we’ve come back from being behind so often in recent weeks too JMCK.

And from 2 down against Aberdeen.

It's good to see a winner like Numan saying the same thing as Gough.
The losers happy with 1 trophy out of 10 and losing hunger and getting upset when players get in their faces need to leave. Hopefully we find a couple of leaders in January.

Goldson is done, he will be away in Jan to the highest bidder.
Look at the Calbre of player that has now come out and commented on Sunday’s shambles.
Numan
Gough
DJ
Laudrup
Barry
What do these guys know about winning and pressure?
I had the same opinion and was made out to be a Rangers hater and not a fan and having no idea about pressure by some clowns on here.

Last edited:
If Arthur thinks like that, so does Gio. They came to the club under wee Dick, and were given the same remit Rangers are a club that demands victories and trophies.
The quote I like the best and shows what a Rangers players standard should be “How can you lose your hunger after only winning 1 trophy?”
That should be when the hunger gets stronger, not weaker.
Goldson should be dropped and ditched in Jan, that attitude has no place in a Rangers dressing room. Simpson could be given a run of games, and with Ryan Jack back, we should be more solid whoever steps into the back line.

Goldson’s time is up.

I think he’s good, but he’s checked out and we need to move on.

Wilson got it wrong. If he hadn’t signed on the deadline (let’s say 30th May), then we should have actively punted him in the summer.

We played the game and got burnt.
To play for us you need the right mentality big Connor just doesn't have it.I am thinking at half time one more goal and we are right back in this,unknown to me he is in dressing room thinking thd game is over.
Thanks for your time here big man but it is over.Time to promote Mayo or bring in someone like John Souttar who has suffered adversity and fought his way through it.

1 trophy from 10 does not a Ranger make. 55 was terrific and crucial, but it appears to be the exception for these players.
The malaise set in during the close season and was never addressed by Gerrard & Co. We have witnessed the fall out ever since. Goldson should be out the door ASAP.

Nobody wants to say it but how is this conducive to winning a league? Because you're spot on btw.

Winning 55 was wonderful but these players may also have to go down as the ones who lost a league to Tony Ralston, Stephen Welsh and some no mark manager who had never even managed a game in Europe.

Goldson’s time is up.

Wilson got it wrong. If he hadn’t signed on the deadline (let’s say 30th May), then we should have actively punted him in the summer.

Agree. We should have basically taken whatever we could have got for him.

Appreciate that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight and that we won't know if there was actually any interest in Goldson.

I just cant get my head round this attitude that Goldson is working his ticket and he will be gone in January, we dont have anybody else so he will have to play. For f*8ck sake this is Rangers not f**cking Wickcome Wanderers get one of the youths in his place and let him play with the boys.We have lost better players than him, we rescued him from obscurity and now he is holding us to ransom get him to f88k.No one man is bigger than Rangers, would he have been allowed to carry on like this with Willie Waddel or Walter I very much doubt it.

They’re all just clueless haters. What do these guys know about winning?
Exactly mate
Barry had more medals at 20 year old that Goldson will get in his entire career.
Now there’s pressure for you, handed the captaincy of your boyhood club at 20.
Didn’t hear him moaning about pressure

Last edited:
FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”
Well said Arthur, driving home from the game I heard them on RS discussing it and thought maybe he was taken out context as those bassas won't interview anone at Rangers.
But watching it later I couldn’t beleive what I was hearing

I just cant get my head round this attitude that Goldson is working his ticket and he will be gone in January, we dont have anybody else so he will have to play. For f*8ck sake this is Rangers not f**cking Wickcome Wanderers get one of the youths in his place and let him play with the boys.We have lost better players than him, we rescued him from obscurity and now he is holding us to ransom get him to f88k.No one man is bigger than Rangers, would he have been allowed to carry on like this with Willie Waddel or Walter I very much doubt it.
Exactly
Souness fell out with and Got Rid of Butcher and Roberts and we still carried on.
Goldson couldn’t lace either of their boots.
Look at the players Fergie got Rid of at Man U, that’s what big clubs do.

Why do our players not have that mentality now? Is it not coming from the top levels of the club or something? Was it Gerrard who didn’t hammer home the mentality i wonder.

The simple fact is Goldson should never have been sent out to do that interview. The captain should've. Our captain completely shirked his responsibilities and showed himself to be a bit of a shitebag in my opinion.

Goldson has completely fucked up and if he wants to stay here he is going to have work harder and better to get the fans back onside.

GVB's questions to Goldson and Tav on Monday should've been why were you/Goldson out doing that interview instead of the captain? To Tav why did you not shoulder the responsibility of that interview, that is what you are meant to be doing as a leader of these players.

I don't believe Goldson thought he was beat at 3-1 at half time because to me he was trying his hardest to get to every ball, to get the ball up the park, to get on the end of corners. I think he was trying to say he thinks others believed they were beat at half time and have lost their hunger. Guys like Morelos, Kent and Barasic. The levels of these 3 players have dropped so low. Their body language is completely off. Even that clip from training yesterday with Roy, saying about tricks are for the circus. I don't think it was directed at Kent in particular but his body language was all off, his shoulders are slumped, he looks unhappy. Compare that to Lundstrum and Aribo in that same clip, they are smiling, looking ready and hungry to train.

Goldson’s time is up.

It has to be , as soon as Helander is back he should be benched to end of season.
Numan is spot on.

1 trophy from 10 does not a Ranger make. 55 was terrific and crucial, but it appears to be the exception for these players.
The malaise set in during the close season and was never addressed by Gerrard & Co. We have witnessed the fall out ever since. Goldson should be out the door ASAP.

Agree, and Gerrard has clearly enabled a cancer to run through our dressing room, so he is culpable.

Exactly
Souness fell out with and Got Rid of Butcher and Roberts and we still carried on.
Goldson couldn’t lace either of their boots.
Look at the players Fergie got Rid of at Man U, that’s what big clubs do.

Fergie wasn't daft though. He knew when to wield the axe, when it suited him and not the player.

Dropping Goldson pre January when the alternative is Bassey or chucking Leon King in at the deep end for Europe or a less than impressive so far Simpson in the league is a massive call.

He's not going to drop Goldson for December. But it wouldn't surprise me if he sells him in January providing there's a replacement coming in.

Fergie wasn't daft though. He knew when to wield the axe, when it suited him and not the player.

Dropping Goldson pre January when the alternative is Bassey or chucking Leon King in at the deep end for Europe or a less than impressive so far Simpson in the league is a massive call.

He's not going to drop Goldson for December. But it wouldn't surprise me if he sells him in January providing there's a replacement coming in.
Thing is I agree with that.
We need to keep Goldson on side till January but once the window is open and Helander is fit then we buy a CB and ship him out to the highest bidder.
None of this letting him run down his contract for a pay day in the summer.
Thank him for last season and send him back to the obscurity he obviously craves

It would be a massive call, but it might be one that GVB has to make.

His hand may well be forced by Goldson's comments - how can he fully trust a player who openly admits the hunger has gone and they effectively chucked the Hibs semi final at 3-1 down with 45 minutes to go ?

I know we are in a real predicament with the lack of centre back cover, but I think Goldson is too far gone to just suddenly flick a switch and up his game/adjust his attitude for the new manager.

I think Gerrard will come for Patterson in January.
I think Patterson will tell him where to go, Gerrard never played the kid!

Back on point though, Thursday feels ages away, even though it's only tomorrow.

I've idea what Rangers team is going to turn up.

Think this shows the leadership within our dressing room

Acceptance of defeat at half time in a match 3-1 down only a loser talks this way thinks this way

Any half decent leader rallies the troops for an almighty effort second half not this utter tripe

That should be his last game for me

Back