Rangers interested in Souttar?

I’d be happy with that. As long as he’s a back up. The injury record here is a concern.

Should have bought Jason Kerr and all the Euro squad allowance and Goldson issues would have been sorted already.

I doubt Gio will be rushing into parting with any part of his budget this soon without knowing what he needs, maybe Wilson could put the feelers out and tell his agent to hang tight for a month and establish ourselves as first pick

When was the last time he was out with a long term injury ? Genuine question as I’ve seen posters mention injury history.

We will need at least two, possibly three centre halves going into next season. Souttar is as big a no brainer signing as you can get on a free transfer.

Should have bought Jason Kerr and all the Euro squad allowance and Goldson issues would have been sorted already.

I doubt Gio will be rushing into parting with any part of his budget this soon without knowing what he needs, maybe Wilson could put the feelers out and tell his agent to hang tight for a month and establish ourselves as first pick

Who did Kerr join Ark ? Decent player for St Johnstone.

Super Jason Kerr that has 5 apps all season for the mighty Wigan?

Ross Wilson has and may have recommended him and he’s Gios boss.
I agree but at the end of the day wouldn't it be Ross Wilson who identifies new signings?

Is Souttar any better than Katic?
My hope would be that it is a player brought to the attention of Gio rather than one forced upon him. Like I say though if we sign him I think it's more on the back of previous scouting rather than Gio coming in and saying this is the man for me. I'm not sure on the validity of this source is my point.

I think this would be a sensible signing - we need Scottish players for the European squad (we should have identified a 4th choice Scottish CB instead of Simpson for example) and Souttar is a decent player who, injury problems aside, could be a good option for us.

Sliding doors! Who knows how things would have worked out with different choices. Honest young Pro who wouldn’t have thrown the towel in
I think we should be aiming much higher.

We have potential CL games next season.

I think we should be aiming much higher.

We have potential CL games next season.
Doesn’t change the fact we can only register 17 non-Scottish trained players, to be fair.

I’d be taking Souttar as he’s probably the best Scottish centre half we can get, although I’d rather we just promoted Mayo.

Do all we can to avoid a Bassey at centre back scenario again.

My hope would be that it is a player brought to the attention of Gio rather than one forced upon him. Like I say though if we sign him I think it's more on the back of previous scouting rather than Gio coming in and saying this is the man for me. I'm not sure on the validity of this source is my point.
No idea if there’s any truth in the OP at all but in general I have no issues at all if players are brought to the attention of the manager for him to say yes or no.

Like you, I’d only be worried if they were being signed without his say so, but I just can’t imagine a guy with the stature of Gio tolerating that.

Seem to recall when Gerard came in both McGregor and Arfield were brought to his attention but he gave the ok. Both turned out brilliantly well.

What you see is what you get, decent big lad and a good age. Only down to Wigan but hardly playing when I look at the teams so maybe injured. Another one like Ali McCann at Preston that if it doesn’t work out you can easily attract them back up the road cheaply

I think McCann seems to be getting a regular game. I love that boys athleticism & energy.

Has he actually been good for Hearts or is this all from the one game and goal against Denmark?

We might end up signing him but I find it hard to believe Gio has been following Scottish football and has said "him".
Or he’s sat down with the relevant people to look at previously identified areas that need improvement and players identified that could provide that improvement. And agreed

Or he’s sat down with the relevant people to look at previously identified areas that need improvement and players identified that could provide that improvement. And agreed
Andy Scoulding is the guy who identifies players for us to sign. Wilson, GVB and Scoulding will then sit down and discuss it and make a decision, with GVB and Wilson presumably having vetoes.

So while I doubt that GVB has said yes on Souttar, I think it’s likely that we discussed targets with him and GVB is happy with the kind of player we’re going for.

He could carry that injury and still be a better option than Simpson

Seen the comparisons with goldsons stats this season and although that’s not really a measure he pisses all over him

Doesn’t change the fact we can only register 17 non-Scottish trained players, to be fair.

I’d be taking Souttar as he’s probably the best Scottish centre half we can get, although I’d rather we just promoted Mayo.

Do all we can to avoid a Bassey at centre back scenario again.

Souttar is head and shoulders above Mayo. On current form, Souttar is the best centre half in the league (overall it’s Filip Helander). I think there’s an argument to be had that Souttar is Scotland’s best centre half.

Back