End of celtic financial dominance

Superswally173

It always annoys me that even now, celtic seem to be able to buy their way out of trouble.
What with all the years rangers were not even around, they still have an unfair advantage.
I know we posted 26m losses, but they posted 12.6m losses (not sure why we were so much higher) (knowledgeable punters info welcome).
But what with their continued poor European form, I really hope rangers winning this years league goes a LONG way to redressing the balance of power.
If they have large wage bills it could finally impact on them...

This could be the year

Thoughts

It always annoys me that even now, celtic seem to be able to buy their way out of trouble.
What with all the years rangers were not even around, they still have an unfair advantage.
I know we posted 26m losses, but they posted 12.6m losses (not sure why we were so much higher) (knowledgeable punters info welcome).
But what with their continued poor European form, I really hope rangers winning this years league goes a LONG way to redressing the balance of power.

This could be the year

Thoughts
It’s all about this year’s title. We win it and they are on the back foot, they win it and it’ll be a tough few years for us.

They will strengthen in January. It’s imperative we win this title.

This could be the year

Thoughts

Being able to fleece clubs for good returns for shite players is your answer.

They've downsized a helluva lot and are gambling on a lot of players being gems. They've went from Rodgers to now unknown entity from Australia. All their big players have gone but they're good at getting money for their players. Ajer, Edouard etc.

Their wage bill is still high and they will need downsize further with no CL. If we win the league this year they're going to struggle to catch up the next few seasons.

If what happened to us in 2012 happened to them, they'd not win the league for about 30 years. They never took full advantage of that situation and watched Gerrard get closer year by year til inevitably we destroyed them.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time they beat us in a league match or even looked like beating us.

The point is...without 55 the gap would just have increased. We have managed a reset that is crucial. I don't think either team will dominate going forward as the finances are in reality close to level. We closed a gap where we lost a squad valued at approx 30-40M that had to be rebuilt.

Thoughts are I’m not sure what point your making. We won the league last season. That was surely a hint?

They have had a financial advantage over us for nearly twenty years. Winning the League this season is arguably more important than last. Their own repeated failures in the CL have allowed us an opportunity to level the playing field, if not outright pull ahead of them. That is his point.

Precisely. £40m for Bolingoli, Edouard and Ajer is truly ridiculous. £15m the lot would be more accurate.
We have to accept that they have signed some players with pedigrees beyond ours-they also paid big cash for some total duds. Kidding ourselves the Daily Record is actually inflating their player's prices is plain daft.
We have a few players that should attract decent fees but it is dependent on a number of factors-we argued for months Alfie was better than Edouard the reality is he wasn't.

Financially they've only really turned a profit over the last several years by selling players and downsizing that won't continue indefinitely as the only player they have of value right now is Furuhasi and if they sold him they'd be stuck with Ajeti and the Greek striker.

I suspect they'll try and pull out all the stops to sign Jota in January in the hopes of punting him in 18 months time. Problem they might have through is unless they have a cast iron agreement with Benfica other clubs might out bid them.

Champions league football is vital for Rangers next season as it allows us to return to profit or break even that's why the board need to let GVB being in a player or two in January.

The worst Celtic side I’ve seen since I was born (98) and they’re in a cup final and probably Going to win it.

Realistically we should have won the treble last year and pushed towards one this year.

To me Celtics dominance doesn’t end until they go a good few years without winning anything like we did.

This could be the year

Thoughts
They get good fees for their players

This could be the year

Thoughts
Aye. Right.

Their losses were only so 'low' because of player sales like frimpong I think, probably a few others I forget about. Celtic also have been developing a merchandising enterprise for the better part of the last decade so they have far better revenue streams than Rangers in general. I'm not sure if they will be able to buy their way out of trouble in January though, I think they'll need something in the region of 30 odd million to actually compete for this title. Celtic are largely inundated with cash, compared with us, but their whole football structure is a total mess which I think offsets the cash advantage a lot. Also keep in mind the victim mentality stuff, e.g. their constant complaints about biased refs, this takes pressure and criticism away from their team which makes the team perform worse in my opinion

We’re still playing catch up and after 2012 that was always going to be the case.

A title for us this year will go a huge way towards ‘normalising’ things. It’s an open goal basically.

We’ve laughed at Celtic for 4 years in CL qualifiers. I was sure we’d have got past cluj, AEK etc…then this season we collapsed at the first hurdle

It tells us loud and clear, neither of us are good enough to rely on on progression through CL qualifiers. This season represents a golden opportunity, and one I don’t think will last long for Scottish champions. We have to seize it

What with all the years Rangers were not even around, they still have an unfair advantage.
But what with their continued poor European form, I really hope Rangers winning this years league goes a LONG way to redressing the balance of power.

This could be the year

Thoughts
Fixed that for you.

This could be the year

Thoughts
The decades of abuse and cover up by a procession of directors should see them closed down. The reputation damage should be catastrophic, I wouldn’t worry about them.

This could be the year

Thoughts
New member with no capital on Rangers,twice.

This could be the year

Thoughts
They had assets that they got very good money for. We didn’t. Though that is changing slowly.

Agree with a lot of the comments
Think Gvb has a better track record, is more knowledge about football (certainly european), has better contacts.
All that added to hopefully him bringing in a few solid Dutch players we are in good shape.

Forgot about their legal issues

This could be the year tables turn

the last 7/8 years they had assets to sell. Who realistically in their side right now is worth over 10 mill?

We’re still playing catch up and after 2012 that was always going to be the case.

A title for us this year will go a huge way towards ‘normalising’ things. It’s an open goal basically.

We’ve laughed at Celtic for 4 years in CL qualifiers. I was sure we’d have got past cluj, AEK etc…then this season we collapsed at the first hurdle

It tells us loud and clear, neither of us are good enough to rely on on progression through CL qualifiers. This season represents a golden opportunity, and one I don’t think will last long for Scottish champions. We have to seize it
Yep
Especially if we done all the hard work to get it, them getting would be theft

Malmo result was financially damaging. Probably finished SG.
Winning the league, with direct CL access, will negate the historic financial imbalance; a big wage bill & only McGregor, who won't get big money, to whore.

Yep
Especially if we done all the hard work to get it, them getting would be theft

We will only have ourselves to blame if we don’t win the title this year.

We had stability (until Gerrard left at least), they lost half a team in the summer. We haven’t started a campaign as such clear favourites since Mcleish was in charge.

It’s frustrating that we’re only 4 points clear given they lost their first 3 away games - an unprecedentedly bad start for an old firm manager.

But now we can turn a new page with Gio. Imperative he delivers the title this year - I was far from confident Gerrard was going to

They manage this every season...its something we have to become much smarter at. It has bailed them out many times.

We haven’t sold any of our players in the summer because we didn’t receive satisfactory bits for them.

It can’t hurt them that the media continually portrays their players at ludicrously high valuations.

Ultimately though, what did Edouard go for…about a fifth of his Daily Record valuation ?

We'll see if they buy big in January but people expected them to do that this year and last and they didn't, so I'm not so sure they have the pots of cash a lot of people think they do ("cash rich" in the words of Walker). We do need to win the league this season though to get us on an even keel earlier than we could have hoped just a few short years ago.

Their dominance was artificial, they benefited most from our issues and orchestrated other clubs and their fans to stick the knife in. They all hate us, which is fine but don’t let anyone of the other clubs think they’re not Celtic’s useful idiot!

They have European money 4/5 years that we didn’t and sold a few players to for decent money to cover there out goings. We win the league this and get the champions league money then not much of a gap

Back