Sitting The Keeper Down

cooperman

So was watching youtube videos of the original Ronaldo, and he scored a lot of his goals by putting the keeper on his arse first, he seem to be able to do it at will. Obviously he's a special talent to say the least, but it did make me wonder, when did sitting the goalie down become a lost art in football? I remember Daglish did it a few times with liverpool, but I can't remember many modern day footballers doing it, and am stumped to think of any Ranger who did it on a regular basis

I can’t remember the last time one of our players rounded the keeper and scored. Obviously when teams put 11 men in the box it makes it quite hard

The real Ronaldo scored a ludicrous amount by going round the keeper, two step overs and a a drop of the shoulder, either side.

He got his nickname for a reason :))

It is a dying art though.

Just stick the ball in the back of the net. As Roy Maakay says ‘Tricks are for the circus’, ‘Keep it simple’, explanation is no fancy sh£t, just put the ball in the net. Easy. We don’t have Ronald’s, but look at Messy, had the skill but always if he had the choice made it simple.

I’m sure Morelos rounded the goalie against Livi away and snuck it in from a ridiculous angle too. Definitely doesn’t happen often anymore.

Football used to have more individual flare than it does now imo, now players are expected to do their role and be more disciplined than they used to, its lost a bit of magic at least for me, maybe i just dont watch as much as i used to but it doesnt feel the same any more.

How many times did he sit Bonnar down at the piggery before his this way that way celebration. 4/5?

41 years of old and still want to be super Ally when I grow up.
Durrant 1 0. Reverse pass from Cooper , wee dummy, bonnar on his arse. Durrant glides past him and sticks ball in net. Loved that goal

Possibly mate, it would likely have been around the time of Bonner coming to the end. Laudrup could round whoever he wanted, to be fair!

I do remember Ally leaving him on his 'hoop' a few times!
The hampden season with that fanny O’Neill ending up in the back of the net was Marshall surely?

Infact I’m 100% positive it was Marshall. I can see him scrambling to his right as I type:)

It does seem to be a dying art, these days players seem to prefer to roll it or curl it in at the far post.
The one that sticks in my mind is George Best in the 1968 European Cup Final against Benfica, never any doubt he was rounding the keeper and scoring.
I wonder if it’s a confidence thing these days?

It does seem to be a dying art, these days players seem to prefer to roll it or curl it in at the far post.
The one that sticks in my mind is George Best in the 1968 European Cup Final against Benfica, never any doubt he was rounding the keeper and scoring.
I wonder if it’s a confidence thing these days?
Think theres a few factors.

Strikers don't go clean through one on one as much.
Isn't as much space and time when in the opposition box.
Keepers don't charge out full speed these days, they tend to make a judgement call and hold their position to narrow the angle.
The striker will likely percieve that more often not, they have a better chance of scoring with the keeper in goals than narrowing the angle and being off balance.

There might not even be a decrease to be honest, could just be our perceptions.

So was watching youtube videos of the original Ronaldo, and he scored a lot of his goals by putting the keeper on his arse first, he seem to be able to do it at will. Obviously he's a special talent to say the least, but it did make me wonder, when did sitting the goalie down become a lost art in football? I remember Daglish did it a few times with liverpool, but I can't remember many modern day footballers doing it, and am stumped to think of any Ranger who did it on a regular basis
Mccoist did it regularly to Packie Bonnar

Alfies side foot finish from the edge of the box at pittodrie a couple of seasons back was the very definition of composure.

Not technically what this thread is about, but it went down this road.

Back