Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferguson was on another planet to players who were kicking about at CM for Liverpool and Chelsea for a while and would have been a better signing for Man U than Djemba Djemba and Kleberson ever were, Arsenal aside he would have found games at any of the top sides in England

1) Lee McCulloch is one of our worst ever signings (value-wise) in my lifetime. 2 headers and a six month stint up front post-admin.

His skipping and 3 touch free kick routine used to make me want to scratch my face off. An awful centre half and the midfield Edulloch partnership was horrific to watch.

2) Kevin Thomson is vastly overrated. He would go 90 minutes whilst touching the ball 10-20 times (usually one or two touch), and folk on here would have him as man of the match.

He was good domestically when teams panicked if we got in the or faces. In Europe, they’d often pass it around him and he wasn’t very good on that stage at all.
RE McCulloch - I really thought Walter had a serious soft spot for him that couldn’t have been about ability, and Walter was my absolute hero. But McCulloch had no business playing centre mid and centre half, it felt like he just had to be in there somehow. Also felt that for a while we played far better football when Beasley was on the left of midfield.

Gerrard's time was up as Rangers manager - winning the league was a giant monkey off his back since he'd never achieved it as a player. He was spent after that, and couldn't motivate himself or the team for this season. He did us a favour quitting, if we'd waited until results matched performances, we could have been screwed in Europe and trailing in the league by the time he was replaced.

I'm still grateful for 55, and think he's left us in much better shape than when he arrived. But he'd lost his mojo this season.

I never ever think we are brilliant or shi$# as the case may be compared to the views on here. We go from a player worth millions one week to time to get rid the next.. Then somebody plays well against Ross County and it's a world class performance. No its fucc#$g not! Over reaction constantly..

mciness shit the bed when we werent even in the running

as i said above we signed morelos under pedro, ryan jack, cardoso who was young and assaulted the assault should have been gbh to anyone that was a member of joe public

whos now playing with porto,

a shudder to think who mcinness would have signed and his number 2 was a crash barrier
We would have signed Ryan Jack with or without Pedro

The one sole thing during his time with us was Morelos, and it wasn’t even his suggestion

McIness had Maddison on loan and had Aberdeen selling players for decent profit for them as well as a group of really decent Scottish players, he turned that club into something they hadn’t been for years and won’t be for years again

I mean he might have signed a fat known alcoholic and cost us millions to be fair

02/03 Ferguson I would not have swapped for anyone in Britain.
I have it on very good authority, from an ex team mate and close friend of Ferguson, that he was all geared up for a move to Arsenal at the end of that season.

However something changed at the last minute and the deal fell through, also that Houllier at Liverpool was asked to be kept in the loop by Rangers with regards to bids.

Had Barry spent 18 months at Blackburn, injury free then he’d have ended up at United to replace Roy Keane IMO.

Controversial opinion: I thought Warburton was a decent manager that could have done more if he had some money to spend.

Warbs was a decent manager. And had he left at the end of that season in 2nd place would've been more highly thought of. But negotiating allegedly with Forest and others behind our backs paints him in a terrible light.

In his defence, he made going to Ibrox fun again. Those first six months of the 15/16 season right up until the Hibs game at Xmas was brilliant

I think it was Windass' general attitude that cost him his Rangers career over his ability. Likewise McKay. That said, my controversial opinion (ignoring those aspects) is that they'd have been much, much better players to keep around the squad than signings like Barker and Jones. If they weren't actually the players we had to depend upon, they'd be good impact subs and squad players.

Very underrated players: Jason Holt, Bilel Mohsni, Andy Halliday
Halliday was shafted by Warburton by playing him as the defensive player in the midfield. He wasn't capable of doing it and after he lost his form Warburton kept playing him. I find it weird that Halliday still speaks highly of Warburton to this day due to that.

Barry Ferguson was a very good midfielder.

He in no way shape or form could have 'walked into any midfield in Britain at his peak' as many supporters maintain.
Disagree. He dictated games against top European opposition aged 19. Then in 02/03 was unbelievable. Wouldn't have been a kick in the arse off walking into any UK midfield. Perhaps only Utd and Arsenal at the time.

Only Stewart Robertson and Graeme Park didn’t hire him.

They made up a well known, three man committee.

Robertson, Park and Dickson.

He explained: “The way we’ve worked it is to have a team of three who were appointed to select the manager. That’s the way we agreed to do it and that’s the way we worked it. There is an executive management team appointed to take it forward. The chairman has delegated that responsibility to us.

“It was up to us to present our recommendations. We are trusted to do it by the club. I don’t know when Pedro and Dave will meet but we will get something organised. It is more important that Pedro spends time getting in amongst the squad and understanding what is happening.”

Full article above for more context.

The whole match day experience of going to Ibrox generally isn't enjoyable in the slightest, and I'd rather watch the game on TV than have to suffer listening to the shite that comes out of the mouth of some idiots around me.

I think the atmosphere at Ibrox is absolutely brutal these days. Rangers has tried to push to ensure it is a family club, but by doing that and clamping down on the sectarian singing, people are too scared to join in with any singing in general. Hate to say it but the board would rather the atmosphere was stone dead than 50,000 intimidating the opposition with a full house on European nights belting out The Billy Boys.

Even the area around the stadium is just absolutely depressing, partly thanks to Glasgow City Council for leaving it to turn to wasteland. Infront of the Main Stand or behind the Sandy Jardine.

People talk about the "Euro Neds" on the other thread but if it wasn't for them people would be too scared to join in without fans telling them to shut up or sit down.

I think the atmosphere at Ibrox is absolutely brutal these days. Rangers has tried to push to ensure it is a family club, but by doing that and clamping down on the sectarian singing, people are too scared to join in with any singing in general. Hate to say it but the board would rather the atmosphere was stone dead than 50,000 intimidating the opposition with a full house on European nights belting out The Billy Boys.

Even the area around the stadium is just absolutely depressing, partly thanks to Glasgow City Council for leaving it to turn to wasteland. Infront of the Main Stand or behind the Sandy Jardine.

People talk about the "Euro Neds" on the other thread but if it wasn't for them people would be too scared to join in without fans telling them to shut up or sit down.
The problem with this is if we continued to sing these songs we would end up getting booted outta Europe.

Yer correct about the atmosphere however, it is largely pish

They made up a well known, three man committee.

Robertson, Park and Dickson.

He explained: “The way we’ve worked it is to have a team of three who were appointed to select the manager. That’s the way we agreed to do it and that’s the way we worked it. There is an executive management team appointed to take it forward. The chairman has delegated that responsibility to us.

“It was up to us to present our recommendations. We are trusted to do it by the club. I don’t know when Pedro and Dave will meet but we will get something organised. It is more important that Pedro spends time getting in amongst the squad and understanding what is happening.”

Full article above for more context.
I’m familiar with the process. They made a recommendation, Pedro wasn’t ‘appointed’ by them.

They most certainly weren’t ‘lucky not to be sacked’.

Cammy Bell was actually a decent keeper for us up until that day at Motherwell. For the level were at that time he was perfectly fine.

He certainly was a level ahead of the likes of Simonsen and Robinson.

I'm the opposite! I from the start wondered why on earth we would have let Neil Alexander go and replaced him with a goalkeeper Kyle Lafferty managed to end up chipping in the 5-1 away to Kilmarnock to win the league back in 2011. From that moment on I had made my mind up on him, he then not long after signed for Rangers :oops:

Last edited:
I have it on very good authority, from an ex team mate and close friend of Ferguson, that he was all geared up for a move to Arsenal at the end of that season.

However something changed at the last minute and the deal fell through, also that Houllier at Liverpool was asked to be kept in the loop by Rangers with regards to bids.

Had Barry spent 18 months at Blackburn, injury free then he’d have ended up at United to replace Roy Keane IMO.

Going to Blackburn was Barry's mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back