New centre back priority for January

Bassey and helander are good enough for the left we need a replacement for goldson

Better second half today but day dreaming at their goal and McGregor wonder save
I take yer point with his positioning at the goal but he doesn’t half do some marshalling at the back. I think Barasic was as culpable not cutting the cross out in the lead up to the great save from McGregor

With most people it’s not snobbery it’s his injury record.
In fairness Helander and Balogun have horrible injury records and needing to be managed constantly. So it's not like we haven't taken a chance on an injury prone CB recently.

He's free, homegrown and his wages would be at the lower end of our scale. Not exactly major risk.

Barker's deal expiring in the summer would free up wages for Souttar.

It's a very small risk gamble for a back up CB.

Na. I just want to replace Goldson with better quality. Not worse.

Injury history a concern for me.

4th choice and a replacement for Simpson. I’ll give you that. Souttar doesn’t challenge any of our three CB’s; Goldson, Balogun and Helander.
Like I said I wouldn't have him as a straight replacement but he is more than good enough to be a Backup.

His injury history is a concern but then again so is Balogun's and Helander's. We've managed them both quite well.

He's free, relatively small waged and counts as homegrown. On a 2 year there would be very little risk in signing him as a back up. He gets a bad injury, he sees out a short contract. A 4 year deal would be more of a risk.

Yet another goal lost today because Goldilocks cannot defend a ball over his shoulder !

The guy is great with back to our goal and ball coming in towards his face.

Easily replaced i.m.h.o.

Goldson has been immense for us over his time at the club. He’s still leading that defence and still creating moments of quality.

But there’s no doubt the contract situation should never have been allowed to get to this. He should have been sold in the summer if he wouldn’t sign. That’s on the board for indulging SG.

We need to get back to the position where we gave proper cover - 4 good quality CBs. Simpson isn’t good enough, Goldson & Balogun will leave, Katic is not the answer.

We need to tie down Helander and make this an area of priority.

Goldson has been immense for us over his time at the club. He’s still leading that defence and still creating moments of quality.

But there’s no doubt the contract situation should never have been allowed to get to this. He should have been sold in the summer if he wouldn’t sign. That’s on the board for indulging SG.

We need to get back to the position where we gave proper cover - 4 good quality CBs. Simpson isn’t good enough, Goldson & Balogun will leave, Katic is not the answer.

Tying down Helander is not the answer in itself his career stats suggest he is only repeatedly good for half a season.

We desperately need Helander back, he's by a mile the best defender at the club!

Goldson could very well have said not entertaining leaving and wants to see out his contract. Us, the buying club and the player all need to agree, its never as simple unfortunately as 'should have been sold'. He also might yet sign a new deal

We will miss Goldson when he’s gone, his leadership won’t be easy to replace

Last season yes, this season not so much.

What annoys me about Goldson is the fact he seems to blame everyone around him when he makes a mistake.

He either signs a new deal or he can do one, that sounds harsh as I dont like having a go at one of our own but we need this sorted re him.

Goldson will be a bit miss - he starts a lot of our moves with his distribution which to be fair sometimes doesn't come off. The thing is very few would even have the confidence to try most of them.

Not many ball playing centre-backs in our league but he is the best by some distance.
Fair dues Connor.

Like Gerrad Conner’s time is over. He has been a tremendous servant, not the best we have had but the best we could afford at the time. He will always be one of the front men of 55. Hope he moves on to a good club and a good contract. Always remember his face at the piggery, a proud guy that day.

Goldson will be a bit miss - he starts a lot of our moves with his distribution which to be fair sometimes doesn't come off. The thing is very few would even have the confidence to try most of them.

Not many ball playing centre-backs in our league but he is the best by some distance.
Spoken like Connor himself.

Helander has been injured a large portion of his short Rangers career, and for long periods as well. Gio might be looking to replace him as well Goldson in the summer going forward.
Especially if we qualify for CL Group Stages.

Are the latter two actually any good? Or is it Veerman Syndrome?

Both play for Vitesse. They conceded 5 against Ajax, 4 to Twente and even 3 to Willem II this season. Even Dundalk put 3 past them in conference league qualifying.
Football manager has a lot to answer for.

Lewis Mayo didn't play for partick thistle in the scottish cup on friday night. Be interesting to know if he was injured or Rangers requested he didn't play to keep him from being cup tied. I can see us recalling him in January
I would give Mayo a chance also,

Are the latter two actually any good? Or is it Veerman Syndrome?

Both play for Vitesse. They conceded 5 against Ajax, 4 to Twente and even 3 to Willem II this season. Even Dundalk put 3 past them in conference league qualifying.
Veerman is good, so what is that syndrome exactly?

Fantastic based on what, how many games of his did you watch?
They stats are based on every game this season.

I’ve seen every game Goldson has played, and every TV game Souttar has played (around 5 I think).

Ideally Souttar is 3rd choice CB for us. That would indicate high quality in 1st & 2nd place. Not advocating him for first pick instantly.

We need a big powerful defender absolutely no excuses for it our defence is absolutely fragile and easily exploited this season.

Getting Helander back soon will be a massive boost as well.

Bassey is essentially emergency cover and Simpson as predicted when he signed isn't up to it.

Would be surprised if Balogun gets an extension your talking 2/3 possible additions between January and next summer depending on the Goldson situation.

In fairness Helander and Balogun have horrible injury records and needing to be managed constantly. So it's not like we haven't taken a chance on an injury prone CB recently.

He's free, homegrown and his wages would be at the lower end of our scale. Not exactly major risk.

Barker's deal expiring in the summer would free up wages for Souttar.

It's a very small risk gamble for a back up CB.
Shows we can’t afford another injury prone CB.
He’s a decent player when available.

It’s part of the solution. We need another 3 CBs between January and summer windows, imo
But how long is Helander going to be playing this time, before he picks up another long term injury?
Not sure Gio can depend on either Goldson, or Helander after this season.
For different reasons.

But how long is Helander going to be playing this time, before he picks up another long term injury?
Not sure Gio can depend on either Goldson, or Helander after this season.
For different reasons.
That’d make 4 CBs in - can’t see it given we’ll need to strengthen elsewhere - Davis, McGregor, probably Morelos and maybe Aribo or Kent if they won’t extend.

Really don’t get the Katic thing he’s not very good

A step up on Simpson but miles away from the quality we need

I still think if there’s a CB sitting as a free agent that’s half decent we should move now we are in injury away from our season being done

Thankfully someone else sees this.
I forgot to add that the above chart relates to this season where Goldson has been poor for the majority of it if we are all being honest. Someone should ask the guy that did the chart to compare Souttar this season, playing at his absolute best, against Goldson's stats to this point last season then people might actually realise what a downgrade it would actually be. Backup, no issues from me. Direct replacement, hell no, aren't even comparable.

I like Souttar, always have but I would like better quality than him to be my first pick.
Of course, the quality may be an assumed one, considering that for no real reason other than him playing in a better league than ours, I reckon Doekhi a step up on him.
Hoping for a Helander, Doekhi, Souttar and Mayo or Katic combination in that order of preference to play.
Might be better with Katic as 4th choice CB to allow Mayo to develop further even?

Lewis Mayo didn't play for partick thistle in the scottish cup on friday night. Be interesting to know if he was injured or Rangers requested he didn't play to keep him from being cup tied. I can see us recalling him in January
Played for Scotland u21s on the Thursday iirc

Reactions: cav
Back