Patterson RW

It hasn't looked right the last 2 games when he's come on. Doesn't seem comfortable.
That’s because we have been protecting a one goal lead (one goal in the Sparta game would have prevented automatic qualification). If he is given a chance at RW when we still have an onus to score you will see Patterson at his best.

He linked up well today with defence and attack.

The idea of being able to accommodate both Tav and Patterson is one we’d all love to see. I personally don’t see it working as I think both are more effective running from deep. When receiving the ball higher up the pitch I’ve noticed Patterson doubling back and passing the ball back to the defence quite a bit in the last couple of games, I just don’t think he’s comfortable in that position. Hope I am proved wrong because the two of them on that right flank could be unbelievably effective.

I think it looks like it requires a lot of work. He has played there before for Scotland under 21s but it hasn't worked in an offensive sense so far.

There’s been several posts about Tav should be dropped for Patterson… but I’m sure he’s been at the Tav school of crossing…
Hit the first man more often than not… needs to improve in that area

I think it looks like it requires a lot of work. He has played there before for Scotland under 21s but it hasn't worked in an offensive sense so far.
He was good there for Scotland u21. He scored an Excellent goal as a RM.

He's been brought on to give us pace and defensive security and so far he has done his job.

If I was choosing I'd personally have Tav at RM and Patterson at RB, but given 2 managers in a row have done it this way when playing the 2 of them, it would seem Tav at RB and Patterson at RM is the right way.

I noticed in both appearances, Tav felt a bit more free with Nathan in front of him and went forward knowing Patterson would cover him.

I don’t think playing Patterson at RW is a good idea. I don’t think it would be good for his development and I also don’t think the role would suit him.

I know it’s an unconventional idea but I wouldn’t mind seeing Patterson at right back and Tav moved into centre mid. I think he could play the role Arfield played today and I think he could do it very well.

Not much game time to judge it on but I think we look less dangerous going forward with both Tav and NP on the same flank.

It may work in specific scenarios like closing a game out or giving Tav more protection against a talented LW.

Seems like the only way for us to keep them both is to stick him further forward but I don't think it's his best position.

Can see him being sold to England in the summer for £10+ million.

Suggested this very thing a week or so ago when we heard Gio plays more with Wingers. Perfect position for Patterson to Flourish

Didnt do any harm for Gareth Bale

A decent option to stay covered and close a game out.

It’s not for me.

I can’t see Nathan being happy to be the guy that helps shut up shop??

He needs to be playing RB to develop but at this point it’s Tavs jersey and can’t see that changing much anytime soon.

As someone else has said I can see him being sold for a tidy sum in the summer

Thought Patterson looked very good in that position, particularly on Thursday.

There were points in the game when we were giving the ball away cheaply, and some of his work in not just winning the ball but burning down time and playing so efficiently showed maturity beyond his years.

He was brought on in that role on Thursday to contain Sparta down that side. Gio wanted two full backs to offer extra protection. He said this in his post-match interview.

As far as him becoming a regular starter as a right winger, that seems unlikely. It's a completely different role and you're mostly receiving the ball with your back to goal.

Last edited:
Tav another two assists today taking his season total to 15 in 21 games so I really do hope Patterson goes to the Tav school of crossing.

I love Tav and my post was in jest to the ‘Patterson must replace Tav’ posters.
Equally think Patterson will be phenomenal but has a way to go

There’s been several posts about Tav should be dropped for Patterson… but I’m sure he’s been at the Tav school of crossing…
Hit the first man more often than not… needs to improve in that area

Tav who got two assists again today and is miles ahead of anybody else in the country with assists for this season

Any game time is good for Nathan. Think Gio fancies him more than Gerrard
I agree with that.

Players change positions or can be asked to play a role that perhaps isn't their favored one. It happens.

Young Patterson should not only be young enough to adapt, he should be relishing the minutes on the park and the opportunity to test himself in another area, learning the demands of different role.

Can only do the young chap good.

Tav who got two assists again today and is miles ahead of anybody else in the country with assists for this season
I think he is suiting this new style our fullbacks are playing better. The last 2 games he has played 3/4 beautiful chipped/normal through balls from deep. 2 goals have came from it and should arguably be more with better finishing.

He wasn't playing those before as most of our longer balls came from CB and our midfield rarely made runs from deeper and Tav is further forward.

I think as well the new management team recognise he’s one of most talented youngsters and likely want to develop him. For that he needs game time, Tav is one of our best players and best RB so we can’t just not play him. Having Patterson come one allows him that time to develop, he can work on attacking part of his game yet still has to track back and make sure the right side isn’t stretched. All in I think it’s pretty good management and something I’d have liked to have seen more from Gerrard. Either bring him on when games won for Tav or as we are seeing now. All in we need Bassey, Patterson and perhaps a couple others getting game time as they look like they can either be first team players in a year or two or very important squad players (as they really are now).

This is why it’s important to win games with a bit to spare. It lets us change things, try a few different positions and keep the squad fresh and happy. I really like the way we look under Gio. Even in limited time we have a better press and look calmer at the back. Yes, still lapses but time will improve that. Bassey at CB maybe the find of the season. Really impressed.

I think the reason it’s Patterson further forward and not Tav is because he has time on his side to learn a more advanced role.

Thought he done well on Thursday in the role, but quieter today. I imagine it’s something that’s been discussed with him beforehand, and getting him more first team game time can only be a good thing!

I do tav in front myself but I know %^*& all lol

Going by ages probably better Patterson adapting didn’t do Bale any harm until he gave up .
Thing is, we saw today Tav has that eye for a pass from deep. Ball for Arfield was superb.

He's giving Patterson game time and protecting the right side while keeping our best RB on the pitch, not something I'd like to see happen all the time but makes perfect sense

The key is to have Patterson in, probably at RB. Tav can fit in when and where, or if he can. If Gerrard hadn’t made Tav captain this wouldn’t be an issue.
Tav has the most assists in the league. What do you mean it wouldn’t be an issue?

Tav has the most assists in the league. What do you mean it wouldn’t be an issue?

It’s because there are people out there who genuinely believe Tav only gets picked because he’s the captain. The fact he has 15 assists in 21 games this season doesn’t even enter their minds.

It's giving him minutes and he's actually there for a purpose. Montano's running was causing us all sorts of bother until Patterson came on. He also played a role in getting the corner too. He doesn't look comfortable there yet, but I'd trust the coaching staff here. Gio was very good at getting players to play well whilst out of there preferred positions to serve a function in the team while at Feyenoord. It's something young Patterson will learn from. It's also solved an issue we have regarding a lack of wide right sided players and he can do a defensive role when games are tighter.

Back