Goldson after the Sakala Goal

The manager wouldn't have any say on the transfer fee the club would accept. Why would it be a low fee? Armstrong went down south with a year left on his deal for £7 million.

Ross Wilson job is to provide the manager with suitable options along with getting the highest fee possible for our players.
Because as I said, they work in tangent.

If Wilson goes to Gerrard and says “we’ve been offered X for Goldson, whats your opinion on the offer?”

Gerrard says he categorically wants to keep him then depending on the fee, that’ll be what happens.

Players don’t just get sold without a consultation of the manager. Do you know if we got any offers, or is this all hypothetical?

Perhaps they collectively agreed that he was worth more to us this season, and our challenge for the CL spot than any fee we would have gotten.

If clubs aren’t interested in signing a player with a year on his deal, then he’s not going to go anywhere.

I don’t blame him for that. Its been what, 4 years? Thats a long time in football.

Issue is with the club/Gerrard for not selling him despite knowing they can’t meet his wage demands.
The issue is paying John Lundstram more than players who both offer and have given much more to Rangers, causing disharmony.

The story is they have the same agent so it's well known Lundstram is on a lot of money and Goldson feels he deserves parity. And who wouldn't?

Just release Lundstram and give Goldson his parity.

The issue is paying John Lundstram more than players who both offer and have given much more to Rangers, causing disharmony.

The story is they have the same agent so it's well known Lundstram is on a lot of money and Goldson feels he deserves parity. And who wouldn't?

Lundsturm was a bosman so obviously going to be high wages

No danger goldson is a 40k a week player

Better players out there for that kinda money

If Wilson goes to Gerrard and says “we’ve been offered X for Goldson, whats your opinion on the offer?”

Gerrard says he categorically wants to keep him then depending on the fee, that’ll be what happens.

Players don’t just get sold without a consultation of the manager. Do you know if we got any offers, or is this all hypothetical?

Perhaps they collectively agreed that he was worth more to us this season, and our challenge for the CL spot than any fee we would have gotten.

If clubs aren’t interested in signing a player with a year on his deal, then he’s not going to go anywhere.
Keeping an unhappy player for an entire season where £30 million is on the line in a key position is shocking decision making if that's what happened.

Of course we don't know if we ever had a buyer for him but you'd hope we'd have brought someone in knowing the circumstances we left ourselves in.

The contract that is on offer is prob pushing the boat out for us, he has no intention of signing it so i would withdraw the offer in the knowledge he will leave for a smallish fee in January or for free in the summer, at least both sides know whats what and we can plan accordingly, between the Dutch guys they will have a fantastic knowledge of players around and available.

I've not a big an issue with it as many others do. What we paid for him he's been value for it imo. Leaves in the summer hopefully with another league medal all is good on both sides imo.
If he keeps playing like he did today in the heart of defence our chances of winning the league shrink dramatically!

Whether he cares or not, whether he has a move lined up or not...

He's been largely crap this season, a season in which we've shipped more goals than them who have a joker or two at central defence and open those jokers up to attacks all game.

Last season is gone, on this seasons form he needs punted.

IF I SEE ONE MORE LONG BALL, TOTALLY MISJUDGED BY HIM, LEADING TO A GOAL....SICK OF IT.

He cares very much. I still hope he signs a new deal.

His comments I think were ill advised to, put it politely, but I think it was more down to him not being able to convey what he actually meant.

Fair point and true.

We can’t just release him though, and it doesn’t mean Goldson is worth 36-40k p/w either.

Every single long ball...he can't deal with.

Don't let it bounce is what you're told at school in bloody P.E...he lets it bounce every time.

Head it, don't try and bring it down...he does the opposite.

Don't get caught goalside of man...every fecking time he does.

And it costs us a goal...every time..hence why our stats are terrible in chances conceded vs goals scored.

I am sick of the sight of the guy and his waving arms when he's cost us yet another goal.

I'll give you a player 10 times better than Goldson who did the exact opposite when dealing with long balls...

Marvin Andrews.

No great footballer but we'd have conceded half our goals with him in defence than Goldson.

Fair point and true.

We can’t just release him though, and it doesn’t mean Goldson is worth 36-40k p/w either.
Think we could sell him in the summer for 3 4 million
There was a few teams wanting to sign him

Heard today he's asking for £40K a week. I can't see that being true
If that’s true. Look at the numbers.

£40k a week is £2m a year.

If he goes, we need someone to replace him. What will we have to spend to buy someone and what would their wage be?

Does he provide more value at £40k a week than a £3m replacement at £20k a week?

Goldson also has to agree. Its probably in his best interests to wait and speak to clubs in January before either committing to a new deal or signing a pre contract with a new club (and getting a hefty sign on bonus as a free agent).

His choice is essentially going to be a shot at playing in Champions league if we win the league or a potential last chance at a big pay day in England.

Apart from the consistent 60 yard pings out to Kent.
Fvck me gently
He lost the ball numerous times today playing an awful pass. I get how the wording of my post does in a way imply he didn't make a single completed pass, apologies for the confusion.

If he goes, we need someone to replace him. What will we have to spend to buy someone and what would their wage be?

Does he provide more value at £40k a week than a £3m replacement at £20k a week?
On current form, absolutely not.

He came right up to the fans and stared at us for a good 10-15 seconds it felt like.

Just went back and watched the goal and he did just that. Looked like he was trying to show he cared after his comments last week.

Stick me in at centre half and I’d care more than all of them. The only problem would be that I’m pish. I just want him to concentrate for 90mins like last season.

That's a different perspective and a good thought.

It's scottish football though, I just can't see anyone paying that sort of cash

I don't.

Despite the car crash interview last week, he has an incredible will to win.

I guarantee if you asked every striker in the league who their most difficult opponent is, Goldson would win it hands down.
Think car crash is also the best way to put it. A poor attempt at trying to convey not good enough and it needs to change.

I’d not argue with that. And (first half especially) he was worse than garbage

I’m trying not to get too emotional on this, he’s been a good player for us, and a clear improvement on what we had before, but there have been a fair amount of errors this season, married in with a lot of good play too.

On the other hand, he’s not up there with the great central defenders we’ve had at the club either.

Think car crash is also the best way to put it. A poor attempt at trying to convey not good enough and it needs to change.
Or maybe that's what he meant and the goldson fan boy's are making excuses for his shitshow of a season

I’m trying not to get too emotional on this, he’s been a good player for us, and a clear improvement on what we had before, but there have been a fair amount of errors this season, married in with a lot of good play too.

On the other hand, he’s not up there with the great central defenders we’ve had at the club either.
Last season he was superb but before that there was a mistake in him every game

Absolute nonsense.

Try asking the Livvy player that scored today for one.

Nothing nonsensical about it.

Even last Sunday, Jack Ross switched Nisbet away from Goldson on to Balogun, as he was winning nothing against Goldson and then got plenty joy against Balogun.

Your posts have always made it clear you don't like him and are agenda driven.

Was voted into the SPFL team of the season by his fellow pros last season too.

Name a centre half better than him at another club?

How many goals this season have we conceded from a punt up the park like today?

Goldson simply cannot deal with them.

It's happened time and time again leading to goal after goal.

The average Scottish defender eats it up time and time again, Goldson doesn't and all of a sudden...GOAL.

It's happened too many times and yet a bloody again today.

Whether his head is in it or not, I don't care, his head is not headering the ball away from our goal.

Our team will never get to the levels we’ve had before. World football has moved on too far.

One thing is ask. How many centre halves have we signed that would be better than goldson? None in ten years (I get the context). But in our playing field (sub£5m) we aren’t buying top quality players. We are either buying decent players or players with potential.

Maybe he wants to leave. In which case it’s a waste of a debate.

But maybe it’s down to the deal he wants (and I don’t blame him), in which case, can we get a better player at a similar cost over a 3 or 4 year deal?

I’m not sure

Nothing nonsensical about it.

Even last Sunday, Jack Ross switched Nisbet away from Goldson on to Balogun, as he was winning nothing against Goldson and then got plenty joy against Balogun.

Your posts have always made it clear you don't like him and are agenda driven.

Was voted into the SPFL team of the season by his fellow pros last season too.

Name a centre half better than him at another club?

I am agenda driven to any player that is letting down our club.

A better centre-half this season? Easy. Souttar. Far more cultured, far better stats, his team have conceded the same as us with far less possession. He's a better centre-half than this season's Goldson without a doubt.

A better centre-half this season? Easy. Souttar. Far more cultured, far better stats, his team have conceded the same as us with far less possession. He's a better centre-half than this season's Goldson without a doubt.
Would far rather be a defender in a team with less possession, every day of the week TBH, it’s far easier

Our team will never get to the levels we’ve had before. World football has moved on too far.

One thing is ask. How many centre halves have we signed that would be better than goldson? None in ten years (I get the context). But in our playing field (sub£5m) we aren’t buying top quality players. We are either buying decent players or players with potential.

Maybe he wants to leave. In which case it’s a waste of a debate.

But maybe it’s down to the deal he wants (and I don’t blame him), in which case, can we get a better player at a similar cost over a 3 or 4 year deal?

I’m not sure

The last 10 years we’ve been in financial trouble.

Go to 2007/8 and we’ve had a few better that didn’t gift goals like Connor Goldson has.

Weir, Bougherra, Cuellar. Did any of them cost above 3m ?

Would far rather be a defender in a team with less possession, every day of the week TBH, it’s far easier

Send that to FIFA for you've discovered a new way to look at the game.

In the real world, that's nonsense lol.

You really think that EB ? Sorry, I can’t agree with that.
Fair enough Grigo, his long passing creates so many attacks for us, he’s fairly good in the air and is a leader.

I think Helander is a better defender in the traditional sense, but all round Goldson is the best in the league for me.

He has strolled countless European games as well, and has picked up MOTM awards in the top flight in England (I know that’s not necessarily a barometer to use)

Did you watch Souttar at Ibrox?

Did you watch him getting torn apart by Watt and Shields at Fir Park last week?
The team we beat 6-1 the previous week?

If you think Souttar is better than Goldson then I can only assume you don't really watch any Scottish football except us.

Back