Goldson after the Sakala Goal

Send that to FIFA for you've discovered a new way to look at the game.

In the real world, that's nonsense lol.
It’s not at all

Playing in a side who hold a higher line, with less cover and protection is a hell of a test of a player TBH

Generally why the best sides tend to end up with the best defenders and all round players

Defending 5 yards from the half way line requires unreal defensive ability

Best defenders in the EPL are the likes of Dias and Van Dijk not Grant Hanley and it’s because of their ability to defend and play high with less of the ball

The last 10 years we’ve been in financial trouble.

Go to 2007/8 and we’ve had a few better that didn’t gift goals like Connor Goldson has.

Weir, Bougherra, Cuellar. Did any of them cost above 3m ?
Weir was free. But I think the other two were near there.

But I think football has come on a shit load in that 14 years. Money isn’t up here. We know that.

Did you watch Souttar at Ibrox?

Did you watch him getting torn apart by Watt and Shields at Fir Park last week?
The team we beat 6-1 the previous week?

If you think Souttar is better than Goldson then I can only assume you don't really watch any Scottish football except us.

I watch a lot of football thank you.

Maybe you should be less assuming cause you come over as as very arrogant.

You asked for my opinion and I gave you it.

Souttar>Goldson.

You've been heralding our defence (minus Helader) for months, even when they've been blatantly mince.

I guess you're all in now. I get it.

I hope Gio realises they're Tom Kite sooner rather than later...and long before you admit it.

Fair enough Grigo, his long passing creates so many attacks for us, he’s fairly good in the air and is a leader.

I think Helander is a better defender in the traditional sense, but all round Goldson is the best in the league for me.

OK mate, I do disagree, but I do acknowledge that his long passing is often excellent.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but first & foremost I’d rather defenders priority is stopping goals.

Anyway, I’m sick of getting involved in Goldson debates. There have been so many central defenders I’ve seen at our club that are worth getting emotional about keeping.

Connor isn’t one of them IMO.

Think I’ll give FF a rest for the night lol

It is aye, “a mistake every game”

The defence almost instantly changed fortunes from a side capable of conceding 5 upon the arrival of McGregor and Goldson, halved goals conceded and were going away in qualifiers and keeping clean sheets with 9 men

During most of Gerrards tenure, domestically goals conceded were because of daft mistakes and errors trying to play out of presses in high risk areas, in general the actual defence and work of Goldson was sound, “a mistake every game” is just complete pish

It’s not at all

Playing in a side who hold a higher line, with less cover and protection is a hell of a test of a player TBH

Generally why the best sides tend to end up with the best defenders and all round players

Defending 5 yards from the half way line requires unreal defensive ability

Best defenders in the EPL are the likes of Dias and Van Dijk not Grant Hanley and it’s because of their ability to defend and play high with less of the ball

You said...

"Defenders enjoy their team having less possession of the ball"

Can I confirm that?

It is aye, “a mistake every game”

The defence almost instantly changed fortunes from a side capable of conceding 5 upon the arrival of McGregor and Goldson, halved goals conceded and were going away in qualifiers and keeping clean sheets with 9 men

During most of Gerrards tenure, domestically goals conceded were because of daft mistakes and errors trying to play out of presses in high risk areas, in general the actual defence and work of Goldson was sound, “a mistake every game” is just complete pish
Your the one talking pish
Ur acting like hes maldini

Our team will never get to the levels we’ve had before. World football has moved on too far.

One thing is ask. How many centre halves have we signed that would be better than goldson? None in ten years (I get the context). But in our playing field (sub£5m) we aren’t buying top quality players. We are either buying decent players or players with potential.

Maybe he wants to leave. In which case it’s a waste of a debate.

But maybe it’s down to the deal he wants (and I don’t blame him), in which case, can we get a better player at a similar cost over a 3 or 4 year deal?

I’m not sure
I think he would be daft on a personal note for him not to wait until January. He can speak to other clubs along with negotiating with us, whilst having a better idea if we will likely be playing guarenteed champions league football next season.

That will be his choice, champions league or potential last big payday in England.

Your the one talking pish
Ur acting like hes maldini
I’m not at all, I’m acting like he’s been a perfectly capable addition for Rangers at a time when budgets have been limited and funds have had to be spent as well as they can.

I’m not acting like he’s Shane Duffy

He is, quite simply, up there with the most underrated of Rangers players; there have been quite a few of those over the years.

I’m not at all, I’m acting like he’s been a perfectly capable addition for Rangers at a time when budgets have been limited and funds have had to be spent as well as they can.

Seriously, are you his sister?

I think he would be daft on a personal note for him not to wait until January. He can speak to other clubs along with negotiating with us, whilst having a better idea if we will likely be playing guarenteed champions league football next season.

That will be his choice, champions league or potential last big payday in England.
Absolutely.
If I were him, I’d do the same. I don’t like it. But that’s our fault for not sorting it out before now or having someone who can sit him on the bench

He was decent if u think he deserves to be highest earner then ur nuts going by this season performances

I agree, I think if we can speed that up and get something for him in January then that might even be better.
IMO selling him in Jan is way too risky Unless we get top quality in his place and even then they need to slot into the team straight away. With what’s at stake I would rather keep him as long as he gives his all and he goes with 56, we bank £30m of CL money and everyone is happy.

Goldson is in undoubtedly a quality CH but is distracted due to his contractual situation. He obviously cares that’s not the issue.

He was a colossus last season. Just hope he can turn in some good performances for us now before he goes whether that is in January or the summer. We definitely need a new CH in Jan regardless.

Well you seem at pains to defend him.

His sister is called Michelle. You are TheMish.

Look, it's not personal, your brother was great last season but this season, for whatever reason...maybe you know?

Anyways, he's been terrible.
I’m not really “defending” him at all TBH, I’m expressing my view re his ability little more little less.

I couldn’t give a f*ck what his sister is called, that you seemingly do is a little bit weird to be honest, which is reflecting in your posting in general.

I’m not really “defending” him at all TBH, I’m expressing my view re his ability little more little less.

I couldn’t give a f*ck what his sister is called, that you seemingly do is a little bit weird to be honest, which is reflecting in your posting in general.

Of course you are defending him. Look, if I was his sister I would too but let's be honest...he's had a lot of bad games this season.

It can't be purely techinical so you'll know...has he mental issues..maybe wanting a move?

Of course you are defending him. Look, if I was his sister I would too but let's be honest...he's had a lot of bad games this season.

It can't be purely techinical so you'll know...has he mental issues..maybe wanting a move?
I’m not “defending” him, and if I’m “defending” him by that logic you’re actively “attacking him”, that’s sound.

Stop speaking about his sister that’s so weird

I’m not “defending” him, and if I’m “defending” him by that logic you’re actively “attacking him”, that’s sound.

Stop speaking about his sister that’s so weird

Look I genuinely understand as his sister, you'll defend him. I give you credit for coming on here and making an account.

Can't you see though that his form has dipped a lot this season?

If you get together at Christmas maybe you could take him aside, over some mulled wine, and find out where his future lies. if he has a few, maybe tell him he's been slightly poor. That's all.

Look I genuinely understand as his sister, you'll defend him. I give you credit for coming on here and making an account.

Can't you see though that his form has dipped a lot this season?

If you get together at Christmas maybe you could take him aside, over some mulled wine, and find out where his future lies. if he has a few, maybe tell him he's been slightly poor. That's all.
He’s (like most) been hit and miss this season,

Your seeming obsession with Rangers players personal and family life's is unhealthy BTW

I'm not sure we want to be tied into a long term deal with a 29 year old error strewn goldson at top whack to be honest.

Personally think it will be best for all concerned if he moves on at the end of the season, as his clearly his intention. That's football.
If he helps deliver the league he goes with my blessing at the end of the season - sure he’ll get more money but he won’t get the coverage or adulation him and the team get up here

I don't think theres any doubt he cares! If anything he was obviously hurting after last weekends shambles
The problem for him, is that we, don't know know exactly what's what when it comes to his contract, or offer.

From a distance it looks to me like there's more than just one thing going on, for him, & then he's been sent out for that interview, after mediocre at best performances..

Would be madness to let him go if we could sign him back up, if it's not looking likely any offer needs to be looked at.

And more importantly for us we need to be identifying his replacement.

Reactions: GF7
IMO selling him in Jan is way too risky Unless we get top quality in his place and even then they need to slot into the team straight away. With what’s at stake I would rather keep him as long as he gives his all and he goes with 56, we bank £30m of CL money and everyone is happy.
I understand your point but the way Goldson is playing and how the fans are now changing towards him, I don't know if keeping him is for the best. Would you rather have a non commited Goldson performing to half his ability or a player that is half as good giving there all? Obviously it's not as black and white as that and I honestly don't know what the answer is here, it's a shame he's been a very good player for us.

Not really read the whole thread properly but here's my tuppence worth.

Goldson is not good enough to play in the EPL. (If that's his thoughts then he's dreaming)

Goldson gets paid enough already and if he wants more he can bolt. (Imo we are prob overpaying him anyway)

Goldson thinks he is miles better than he is. (Your ok mate but you're not irreplaceable)

I'm not fussy if he leaves at the end if the season for free. He has fulfilled his contract and we can have no complaints. Let him concentrate on his own buisness and wish him all the best. Thank you for your efforts.

Over to Giovanni who no doubt has a list of more than suitable candidates and who's enthusiasm levels are much higher to take his place.

Onwards and upwards etc etc.

I understand your point but the way Goldson is playing and how the fans are now changing towards him, I don't know if keeping him is for the best. Would you rather have a non commited Goldson performing to half his ability or a player that is half as good giving there all? Obviously it's not as black and white as that and I honestly don't know what the answer is here, it's a shame he's been a very good player for us.
Whatever happens one thing is critical. When he is in the side he needs to give 100% and cut out the silly errors. Although today was an error we need to give some credit to the Livi forward. Bassey was also a wee bit at fault for not reacting quickly enough but the ball fell straight to the guy. Just one of those things.
I just think that changing your CB at this point of the season is a risk. A £30m risk.

Back