Passing Kings of Europe - you couldn't make it up!!

Boyblue62

Ange Postecoglou turns Celtic into passing kings of the world as 'Ange-ball' leads Manchester City and Bayern Munich​

A study of 40 top divisions across the globe shows no-one moves it better than the Hoops this season.

After some initial uncertainty over his appointment, Celtic fans are loving life under Ange Postecoglou.

The Greek-Australian boss has clear and uncompromising ideas about how the game should be played, with quick attacking football based around possession the order of the day.

And that approach is paying off in spades as new research indicates Celtic are pulling their opponents about more than anyone else in the WORLD.

Postecoglou's style has been compared to the likes of Pep Guardiola and Maurizio Sarri but when it comes to moving the ball his side have them beaten this season.

The CIES Football Observatory collated data on the number of passes attempted per match and their average length for teams from 40 leagues worldwide.

The Croats have moved the ball for 11.8 kilometres per match, on par with Ajax and just ahead of Bayern Munich and Manchester City but a full km less than Celtic.

It will come as no surprise that Rangers are second in Scotland for this metric, with 587 passes and 10.5km per match.

Aberdeen and Hearts come in with 10km each, with Hibs in fifth with 9.4km.

But it's Celtic who lead the way across those 40 leagues, further proof that 'Ange-ball' has truly taken hold at Parkhead.

Most ball circulation across 40 leagues worldwide​

10 - Barcelona: 11.km per match

9 - Bodo/Glimt: 11.1km

8 - Liverpool: 11.3km

7 - MSK Zilina: 11.5km

6 - Sevilla: 11.5km

5 - Manchester City: 11.6km

4 - Bayern Munich: 11.7km

3 - Ajax: 11.8km

2 - Dinamo Zagreb: 11.8km

1 - Celtic: 12.8km

This reminds me of the time that Pep Guardiola went up to Ange in the Clyde Tunnel with tears in his eyes asking why he played such good football.

He really has turned them into the cavalier Kings of Europe, the likes we have not seen since Tony 'Monkeyheid' Mowbray did the same.

"After some initial uncertainty over his appointment, Celtic fans are loving life under Ange Postecoglou."

They're really not and I'm not sure why the media are tying to paint it this way. :))
He just got them pumped out of Europe with the worst points total 2 seasons running and they have been behind Rangers all season.

2nd of the league, knocked out of the Europa League for which they have the worst record in the competition. Aye passing Kings.

Did notice that Aberdeen even had a higher xG than them yesterday, so I guess they need to move onto the next title.

So passing wins games now.

dr-evil-right.gif

So they are having to pass the ball more/further than we are to score the same number of goals? Not very efficient.

I love when stats like this are trotted out with absolutely zero context or explanation to how it actually benefits a team or impacts a match yet people (idiots) still stand and applaud it as an achievement.

Just had tae read that again, just as funny the second time.

Reading it tae the Celtic fan in the canteen, even he's took a riddy.

Mind with Warburton when we passed about a lot, had all the possession and stuff. I can remember reading all similar articles about how great and revolutionary it was - oh wait sorry it was how we struggled to score against well organised teams that sat in and were weak at the back losing east goals.

It’s amazing how different the narrative is! The media here is just a Celtic fanzine. It’s ridiculous how any “free” country has such biased and open sided press.

So they are having to pass the ball more/further than we are to score the same number of goals? Not very efficient.

I love when stats like this are trotted out with absolutely zero context or explanation to how it actually benefits a team or impacts a match yet people (idiots) still stand and applaud it as an achievement.

This ^

Surely the less passes you make to score goals the better?

If your team makes 100 passes and scores 10 goals, then thats more efficient than 700 passes for 2 goals.

Passing it more doesnt mean better football ffs

Congrats on your pointless statistic crown, Timmy. However, I think you'll struggle to compete with Joe Aribo's 'most consistent wearer of polka dot socks on a Tuesday' title.

They’re desperately trying to convince themselves that Big Stavros and his Flangeball system is an absolute revelation.

I mean, how could it be that someone so obviously possessing of managerial genius was sitting there warming the dugouts of mid table Australian and Japanese sides?

Surely only a matter of time then before Man City or Barcelona come chapping on the door to prise him away.

Enjoy him while you can, Timbo!

Latest posts

Back