Tav Stats

im-done-wiffleGif.gif
Just a wee joke mate lol

For perspective, Turnbull takes all Celtic's set pieces and is currently on 3 assists for the season.
He can only dream about the quality Tav possesses.

Tav's awareness in open play was perfectly illustrated by his perfectly flighted ball for Arfield's goal yesterday.

Set pieces, or open play assists, or even turning games on their head with out of this world goals like St Johnstone or Motherwell, Tavernier is invaluable to us and absolutely unique in Scottish football.

He also played in Hagi to set up Morelos on Thursday. No assist, but a massive part in the goal.

Last edited:
Incredible numbers to be honest. If he improved his defensive side to the game he'd be playing for a top 10 EPL side.

Ok here’s something that isn’t a lie, take away his goal contributions, and the subsequent points gained from that, and we’d likely be fighting Hearts for 2nd right now.

This is a truth that many of the anti-Tav brigade don't like to acknowledge, instead they'll tell us that he loses us games and Cups because of mistakes that are questionable at best.

On the flip side, take away his goals and assists this season and we wouldn't be where we are in the league right now.

If someone mentions a Rangers players name, a captain who probably is right up there with the most assists of all time for Rangers and probably the highest scoring defender as well., but the first thing you can think is something negative?

Then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your reason for liking football and supporting Rangers.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

He’s the captain, he’s kinda supposed to play well regularly. If he has a good game it shouldn’t be particularly noteworthy. Yet every time Tavernier plays well we get a slew of threads like this one. Methinks they doth protest too much. Almost as though some latch on to every single positive since they’re only too aware a few negatives will be along soon.
Could say the same in reverse.

He’s the captain, he’s kinda supposed to play well regularly. If he has a good game it shouldn’t be particularly noteworthy. Yet every time Tavernier plays well we get a slew of threads like this one. Methinks they doth protest too much. Almost as though some latch on to every single positive since they’re only too aware a few negatives will be along soon.
Stick to talking about that yank sport with an egg-shaped ball, proper football clearly isn’t for you.

Cmon man a 12 year old could deliver a cross ball. Now if we had scored from hagi's cross that woukd have been an assist. A corner whatever next a goalie smashing a 90 yard goal kick the defenders miss and someone scores

Its utterly clueless attitudes like this that cause Tav to get so much grief.

Its not easy to deliver a quality corner that is difficult to defend and in a good place to be attacked.

It has to be sent in at the right height and pace to not only beat the defender at the front post, but also not be too high or fast for our players to be able to reach it. Defenders are also of different sizes every week, so getting the measure right is different every week as well. You are talking mm accuracy required for a good corner.

If Tav wanted to put a big high floated cross into the middle of the penalty box then he would be able to do it every time. That's not effective though and is easily defended, which is why we mainly see him aiming for a flat ball just above the defender at the front post. It's incredibly difficult to be able to deliver corners with the accuracy he does as consistently as he does.

Hence why nobody else in the league comes near to his assist stats!

Everybody is expected to play well not just the Captain.The thing is if he was perfect he would not be playing with us.Even the players at the very top clubs make the odd error.

To add a little more context to these numbers because I don’t think people appreciate just how good they are.

Ryan Kent has 17 assists in league games since he signed for us in 2018.
Kent hasn’t delivered as much as he should have.

The funny thing is, if we were linked with a full back, who had 70 goals in 5 seasons, 100+ assists and missed an average of less than 2 games a season - we’d be creaming ourselves at the prospect! :D

Imagine the price quoted was £250k as well. :D

Very good point.

When the January transfer window opens it'd be an interesting experiment to say we were after a left back with such stats. All the anti-Tav brigade would be gushing about it.

I take it folked learned this from the commentators and media the same way we learned Turnbull was the assist king at some point last season….. what do you mean no!!

I don’t understand how no one in the EPL has ever taken a gamble on him. He’s a great player, yes perhaps not the most “defensive” right back but doesn’t mean he can’t defend. He’d offer great option for top half of table or as first choice for lower EPL - if playing 3 or 5 at the back he’d help get the goals I’m sure. Anyway I think at his age likely will be here till retires, I just wonder if we’ll see Patterson replace him as first choice in a year or two or see Patterson move before that for big buck (luck depending etc). Shows what a great player he is that continues to put in big numbers as often begins to slide once the opposition get used to how you play.

I take it folked learned this from the commentators and media the same way we learned Turnbull was the assist king at some point last season….. what do you mean no!!

I don’t understand how no one in the EPL has ever taken a gamble on him. He’s a great player, yes perhaps not the most “defensive” right back but doesn’t mean he can’t defend. He’d offer great option for top half of table or as first choice for lower EPL - if playing 3 or 5 at the back he’d help get the goals I’m sure. Anyway I think at his age likely will be here till retires, I just wonder if we’ll see Patterson replace him as first choice in a year or two or see Patterson move before that for big buck (luck depending etc). Shows what a great player he is that continues to put in big numbers as often begins to slide once the opposition get used to how you play.

West Brom bid for him before when they were in the Premier League. I think we knocked it back, £3-4m.

His forward play is nearly always great its his defensive duties that let him down.
That's probably why he signed for a team in the Scottish 2nd tier and why he's still playing in Scotland and not the EPL.
Same with Goldson, some people expect him to be like Barsesi, but he's an spl player for a reason.

Going forward is fine but flying out of position to win a header and getting absolutely no where near it is Junior stuff. This really needs to be cut out.

I know what he brings to the team and will undoubtedly be a loss when he is gone but for some unfathomable reason I've never taken to him. I generally like to keep my thoughts of himself to myself now though and support him when he is on the field.

Ive said it once and ill say it again. Crossing a ball from a corner cannot be an assist. Surely to god?

There's a higher percentage chance of an attacker scoring form a cross, pass, or through ball into the box in open play than score from a crossed corner. In fact, corners are about the most difficult phase in a football game to score from, of course the provider should get an assist.

I could never have an attitude like that to a Rangers captain.

There's a higher percentage chance of an attacker scoring form a cross, pass, or through ball into the box in open play than score from a crossed corner. In fact, corners are about the most difficult phase in a football game to score from, of course the provider should get an assist.
Mate it was a joke. A wee laugh i was having. People are going off there nuts. Feart to write anything in here now people are so touchy lol

He also played in Hagi to set up Morelos on Thursday. No assist, but a massive part in the goal.
Since Gio came in I've noticed him playing balls like that more. He's played 4/5 through balls that have set up good chances. We scored with 2 of them.

3 seasons of extreme bombing back and forward seem to have taken their toll on Tav (& Barisic) and he isn't capable of that for 90 minutes anymore. It's the same with many of Klopps teams the hard workers run themselves into the ground for them.

The way Gio has his fullbacks set up seems to suit Tav well. He isn't asked to run himself into the ground getting forward constantly and is able to make better use of his vision and passing ability by playing balls through or over the top. Almost like a deep lying playmaker at RB. It will result in less open play assists from Tav but will benefit the team and he'll probably get a ton of second pass assists.

His two assists today takes him to 10 in 12 league games (also has 3 goals).

He's already passed last seasons total of 9 in 33 games.

His best in the top flight was 16 after 37 in season 18/19.

Looks on course this season to smash that contribution.
You have a vg point BBL .

How clear does it have to be I wonder

Cmon man a 12 year old could deliver a cross ball. Now if we had scored from hagi's cross that woukd have been an assist. A corner whatever next a goalie smashing a 90 yard goal kick the defenders miss and someone scores

You know that only around 3% of corners lead to a goal? They're not exactly easy.

We all know how it works. Awesome in attack, crap in defence. Apart from last season that's how it is.

That's just not true. Motherwell away (at 1-0 to them), Brondby away (at 1-1), Hibs in the semi final (at 1-0 to them) and at home to Sparta (right after McGregor's double save), Tav has made a tackle or clearance to prevent an almost certain goal for the opposition.

I genuinely think that some of our supporters (not you) are oblivious to these though because it's Tav.

Last edited:
His two assists today takes him to 10 in 12 league games (also has 3 goals).

He's already passed last seasons total of 9 in 33 games.

His best in the top flight was 16 after 37 in season 18/19.

Looks on course this season to smash that contribution.
Love a good stats post! :))

An assist is just the last player who passes the ball to the guy who scores.

If you cross the ball from the corner and a player scores direct from the cross, of course that's an assist.

Its actually mental to suggest otherwise

That's probably why he signed for a team in the Scottish 2nd tier and why he's still playing in Scotland and not the EPL.
Same with Goldson, some people expect him to be like Barsesi, but he's an spl player for a reason.
That’s true but Tav has improved his forward play quite a bit with us from when he arrived.

Back