Alan Thompson reveals what Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist said in their infamous touchline spat

Punch drunk liar
I always envision him like the shane mcgowan character in the fairytale of New York video drunkenly trying to get to his feet in the jail cell. This mob are liars from cradle to grave. He seems to have forgotten the important detail of the racist slur dished out. Oh well shane you could have been someone. Tramp!

What was said between McCoist and Lennon is pretty close to what I and others on here were told, at the time.

Wonder if they will ask Diouf what Lennon called him?

Thompson must be really hard up if he is bringing this up.

Has a book out so I guess it’s from that - not sure who will buy it

96f42822885841.56348551c15c6.jpg

Alan Thompson.
Yesterday.

NEIL LENNON and Ally McCoist’s touchline rammy will forever be remembered as one of the most bitter exchanges in Old Firm history.

The derby was already guaranteed a place in Scottish football’s hall of shame with three red cards, 13 cautions and 34 fans arrested at Parkhead.

Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist square up on the touchline
In the days after, Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond waded into the controversy by summoning Celtic and Rangers chiefs for a crisis summit.

It was bedlam in our game — and amid the astonishing rancour it was easy to forget Celtic had actually won the Scottish Cup replay courtesy of a Mark Wilson goal.

There was also one major question on everyone’s lips from the Lennon-McCoist dust-up that night on March 2, 2011.

What did Gers No 2 McCoist say to the Celtic boss to provoke a furious confrontation and leave backroom men from either side desperately pulling them apart?

To this day McCoist and Lennon have never confirmed it. But Alan Thompson knows.

He was by Lennon’s side for every one of the incredible seven derbies that season, including two in the Scottish Cup and a League Cup final.

Thompson said: “One of the main talking points of that season was the Lenny v McCoist battle.

"The first game at Ibrox was a classic which ended 2-2.

“It was a great result for us because we finished the game with ten men with big Fwather Forthter getting sent off.

“That game was also the birth of ‘The Broony’ which became a very iconic celebration as Scott Brown scored and stood with his hands in the air directly in front of El Hadji Diouf, almost face to face.

“Scotty said afterwards that it was the best yellow card he had ever received in his whole career!

“The Scottish Cup fifth round replay was back at ours and if the first had been ill-tempered, then this was to be known as ‘the shame game’ — with players almost getting locked up by the police off the pitch and a few red cards thrown in for good measure.

“Rangers defenders Madjid Bougherra and Steven Whittaker both saw red with Diouf getting up to his old tricks and he saw red also.

“The game from start to finish was absolute mayhem. It’s not as if these games are normally good-tempered but this was extra spiteful.

“McCoist at the time pointed the finger at Lenny regarding what happened between them.

BETTING SPECIAL - BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS AND FREE BETS

"He said Lenny acted over- aggressively, which wasn’t the case in my opinion, and I broke them up.

“What really started it off was Diouf gave our physiotherapist a hard shoulder and it escalated from there.

“Brown took a few kicks and Kris Commons got clattered in front of our dugout, which sent our emotions sky high.

“All the way through the game Diouf was dishing out verbals on everyone in a hooped shirt and even directed a few to myself and Lenny on the sidelines.

“Don’t forget it was Lenny and me opposing him exactly eight years previously when Celtic played against Liverpool in the Uefa Cup match at Parkhead — and he infamously spat at Celtic fans.

“You look at Diouf and he was pretty decent.

"The guy had been with some good clubs but in my opinion the only reason Rangers brought him in on loan was to wind the Celtic fans up.

“He was brought in by Rangers for the shock value.

HAT TRICK Celtic transfer need confirmed by Leverkusen defeat says Hoops boss Postecoglou as pursuit of Reo Hatate heats up

“Diouf was ‘on one’ that night and I told him many times to ‘do one’ away from our area as he was constantly trying to sneak in closer to our area to noise us up.

“When the final whistle blew, and we had won the game, all the staff went over to shake hands with the opposing team as you do, and Lenny went to shake Coisty’s hand.

“I was stood so close that I clearly heard Ally tell Lenny, ‘And don’t you be speaking to my f***ing players like that’, only for Lenny to tell him, ‘They’re not your f***ing players, they’re Walter’s.

“It’s never been disclosed what was actually said in over a decade now — but I’m telling you that was the spark that lit the fire and Hell was hot.

“Lenny was right because Walter was the gaffer and Ally was only the No 2 at that time. Ally didn’t take well to that.

“The Rangers boys were all trying to say it was our fault but any team who receives three red cards in one match need to have a long hard look at themselves.”

Thompson was still in shock at what he’d witnessed when he ended up becoming a peacebroker in Lennon’s office post-match.

He said: “After a while everything calmed down and we were all delirious in the dressing room celebrating.

“After doing media interviews I had a shower then went into Lenny’s office, but as I got there I was the only one in there from Celtic.

“Ian Durrant and Kenny McDowall were already sat in there. I already had a good relationship with Kenny from my time at Celtic, so I just broke the ice, ‘Lads what do you want to drink?’, which I think caught them off guard.

“Although I was playing it cool on the outside, inside I was thinking, ‘Where the hell’s Lenny, Dolph (Johan Mjallby) and Parks (Garry Parker)?’

“I’m sat with some slightly p***** off Gers. So the silence was deafening.

“If you are thinking it couldn’t get any more awkward then think again because Coisty strolls in.

“I’m not sure if he’s come for more of same but this was turning very hostile — and I was the odd one out.

“AlI I could think of saying was, ‘Fancy a beer Ally?’.

“God above must have heard my stresses because right on cue the three musketeers arrived. Lenny, big Dolph and Parks were here.

“I have to admit there was a bit of an awkward moment or two.

"But Lenny and Ally then shook hands, walked out of the office, into another room, shut the blinds and had it out with each other like men and then kissed and made up.

“It was all put to bed that night.”
I despise that chimp lady's front bottom.

NEIL LENNON and Ally McCoist’s touchline rammy will forever be remembered as one of the most bitter exchanges in Old Firm history.

The derby was already guaranteed a place in Scottish football’s hall of shame with three red cards, 13 cautions and 34 fans arrested at Parkhead.

In the days after, Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond waded into the controversy by summoning Celtic and Rangers chiefs for a crisis summit.

It was bedlam in our game — and amid the astonishing rancour it was easy to forget Celtic had actually won the Scottish Cup replay courtesy of a Mark Wilson goal.

There was also one major question on everyone’s lips from the Lennon-McCoist dust-up that night on March 2, 2011.

What did Gers No 2 McCoist say to the Celtic boss to provoke a furious confrontation and leave backroom men from either side desperately pulling them apart?

To this day McCoist and Lennon have never confirmed it. But Alan Thompson knows.

He was by Lennon’s side for every one of the incredible seven derbies that season, including two in the Scottish Cup and a League Cup final.

Thompson said: “One of the main talking points of that season was the Lenny v McCoist battle.

“It was a great result for us because we finished the game with ten men with big Fwather Forthter getting sent off.

“That game was also the birth of ‘The Broony’ which became a very iconic celebration as Scott Brown scored and stood with his hands in the air directly in front of El Hadji Diouf, almost face to face.

“Scotty said afterwards that it was the best yellow card he had ever received in his whole career!

“The Scottish Cup fifth round replay was back at ours and if the first had been ill-tempered, then this was to be known as ‘the shame game’ — with players almost getting locked up by the police off the pitch and a few red cards thrown in for good measure.

“Rangers defenders Madjid Bougherra and Steven Whittaker both saw red with Diouf getting up to his old tricks and he saw red also.

“The game from start to finish was absolute mayhem. It’s not as if these games are normally good-tempered but this was extra spiteful.

“McCoist at the time pointed the finger at Lenny regarding what happened between them.

"He said Lenny acted over- aggressively, which wasn’t the case in my opinion, and I broke them up.

“What really started it off was Diouf gave our physiotherapist a hard shoulder and it escalated from there.

“Brown took a few kicks and Kris Commons got clattered in front of our dugout, which sent our emotions sky high.

“All the way through the game Diouf was dishing out verbals on everyone in a hooped shirt and even directed a few to myself and Lenny on the sidelines.

“Don’t forget it was Lenny and me opposing him exactly eight years previously when Celtic played against Liverpool in the Uefa Cup match at Parkhead — and he infamously spat at Celtic fans.

"The guy had been with some good clubs but in my opinion the only reason Rangers brought him in on loan was to wind the Celtic fans up.

HAT TRICK Celtic transfer need confirmed by Leverkusen defeat says Hoops boss Postecoglou as pursuit of Reo Hatate heats up

“Diouf was ‘on one’ that night and I told him many times to ‘do one’ away from our area as he was constantly trying to sneak in closer to our area to noise us up.

“When the final whistle blew, and we had won the game, all the staff went over to shake hands with the opposing team as you do, and Lenny went to shake Coisty’s hand.

“I was stood so close that I clearly heard Ally tell Lenny, ‘And don’t you be speaking to my f***ing players like that’, only for Lenny to tell him, ‘They’re not your f***ing players, they’re Walter’s.

“It’s never been disclosed what was actually said in over a decade now — but I’m telling you that was the spark that lit the fire and Hell was hot.

“Lenny was right because Walter was the gaffer and Ally was only the No 2 at that time. Ally didn’t take well to that.

“The Rangers boys were all trying to say it was our fault but any team who receives three red cards in one match need to have a long hard look at themselves.”

Thompson was still in shock at what he’d witnessed when he ended up becoming a peacebroker in Lennon’s office post-match.

He said: “After a while everything calmed down and we were all delirious in the dressing room celebrating.

“After doing media interviews I had a shower then went into Lenny’s office, but as I got there I was the only one in there from Celtic.

“Ian Durrant and Kenny McDowall were already sat in there. I already had a good relationship with Kenny from my time at Celtic, so I just broke the ice, ‘Lads what do you want to drink?’, which I think caught them off guard.

“Although I was playing it cool on the outside, inside I was thinking, ‘Where the hell’s Lenny, Dolph (Johan Mjallby) and Parks (Garry Parker)?’

“If you are thinking it couldn’t get any more awkward then think again because Coisty strolls in.

“I’m not sure if he’s come for more of same but this was turning very hostile — and I was the odd one out.

“God above must have heard my stresses because right on cue the three musketeers arrived. Lenny, big Dolph and Parks were here.

"But Lenny and Ally then shook hands, walked out of the office, into another room, shut the blinds and had it out with each other like men and then kissed and made up.

The pish stained alky lady's front bottom putting his own spin on it.

He convieniently leaves out where Ally told Lennon, that he would kick his lady's front bottom in if he spoke to Rangers players like that again.

Only one winner in that rammy.

So Rangers bought Diiouf just to wind up Celtic fans!
Right you are ya mad Alky.
You are mistaking us for you lot, unlike you lot we don’t spend every minute thinking about you and getting one up on you.

Walter wasn’t the kind of manager that would sign off on that Shiite.
Walter would have signed him depending on what he thought he could bring to the team

Thompson’s repeating old news with McCoist’s statement… but it doesn’t explain anything of why Lennon went utterly Tonto.

Thompson’s version has Lennon with the smart comment - it doesn’t stack up. If anything it would be McCoist losing the rag.

The idea that Rangers signed Diouf to wind up Celtic sums up their self-centred attitude to the world.
Personal opinion is that Diouf was signed because in addition to giving us an experienced forward in the team, he easily attracted & shouldered all the flak that was coming and it was a master stroke by Walter Smith.

The idea that Smith sat there thinking of how to annoy Celtic and came up with Diouf as the answer is laughable though.

Phew. At long last it’s been revealed what really happened that night. It was all Rangers fault. But only if you believe that monkey-faced gimp.

Somebody is needing money for a Christmas carry out.

What an absolute skidmark of an article. A 2-2 a classic match? Hardly. Spare us the nonsense Thompson "the birth of the broony" I'm sorry but sticking your arms out and up in the air wasn't invented by Scott brown. This is great representation of how alot of celtic fans behave, completely and utterly oblivious to absolutely anything thats already happened.

So Lennon went ballistic telling McCoist that the players weren’t his but Walters. Seems legit.

Remember McCoist had his hands in his pockets while Lennon was doing his haud me back routine.

Put the bottle down Alan.

That is the problem he has no money to buy his bottles, so making up sh!t, no doubt to sell a book of exclusives, I didn't even read the article to know it was sh!t.

He can’t remember what happened last week never mind back then.

Saw Thompson out one night with his Mrs having a meal.

Not entirely clued on up dining etiquette when confronted with three forks and knives but %^*& me, he eats like a pig at a trough

Back