Controversial football opinions

Scotland teams have let the country down disgracefuly over the years. We've had some genuinely world class players, but time after time the supporters have been let down by them. The fans had every right to expect to get to the 2nd stage in 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986 and even 1990 World Cups, but a lack of professionalism, preparation, concentration and passion let the country down every time.

The Ibrox atmosphere is a myth and is pretty dreadful

Kenny Miller was massively underrated

Walter was far too negative in the UEFA Cup final and cost us the game with the approach

Scotland teams have let the country down disgracefuly over the years. We've had some genuinely world class players, but time after time the supporters have been let down by them. The fans had every right to expect to get to the 2nd stage in 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986 and even 1990 World Cups, but a lack of professionalism, preparation, concentration and passion let the country down every time.
Maybe they just weren't as good as you think they were?

The Ibrox atmosphere is a myth and is pretty dreadful

Kenny Miller was massively underrated

Walter was far too negative in the UEFA Cup final and cost us the game with the approach
I wanted to hate him as much as everyone else but he was one of our key players in our last spell of continuous success. He was getting better and better as well in terms of goalscoring rate prior to moving on again.

Reactions: Msm
Celtic are the passing kings of Europe. And Ange with his Angeball is the best which is why he will be 1 of the first guys in World Football to manage a team in the CL, Europa Cup, and the Conference Cup in the same season.

:)):)

Last edited:
Footballers don’t get paid too much.

It isn’t public money, it’s private money. And considering the majority of PL clubs are owned by foreign million/billionaires, if we put a cap on wages to say 30K a week, it’s not as if the extra would then go into the NHS or the schools, it would just be sitting in some billionaires bank account offshore.

Let them them pay as much as they want, it’s wages and tax into the country that if we stopped it, that tax revenue would simply be lost and no one would be better off for it, except the owners of the clubs.

That'll be why one dominated the Premier League and Europe while the other signed for Blackburn and potentially never got past a group stage?

I don't agree with the poster's opinion but still, Darren Fletcher was a mainstay in Man Utd teams for years, won all sorts of trophies. But no one is telling me he was a better player than Barry Ferguson.

Reactions: VGM
Celtic are the passing kings of Europe. And Ange with his Angeball is the best which is why he will be 1 of the first guys in World Football to manage a team in the CL, Europa Cup, and the Conference Cup in the same season.

:)):)
When you say "one of the first" are there actually any others?

I'm not really up to speed on it, but how many clubs started in the Champions League and are now in the conference?

Footballers don’t get paid too much.

It isn’t public money, it’s private money. And considering the majority of PL clubs are owned by foreign million/billionaires, if we put a cap on wages to say 30K a week, it’s not as if the extra would then go into the NHS or the schools, it would just be sitting in some billionaires bank account offshore.

Let them them pay as much as they want, it’s wages and tax into the country that if we stopped it, that tax revenue would simply be lost and no one would be better off for it, except the owners of the clubs.
The point of a salary cap isn’t to prop up the owner’s pension fund, it’s to make it a more even playing ground between Clubs.

The best XI from 15/16 years ago would destroy the best XI from now.

Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace were right for calling it out. If McGregor and Davis done it they'd be lauded for it.

The fact that in 07/08 there was 3 Scottish teams in Europe after christmas, for 1 to be knocked out by Barcelona, one by Bayern Munich and the other to make a final is an embarrassment that Clubs who do make it outwith us and the rotten mob are quite happy to just make it to the 1st ECL qualifying round and go out

The point of a salary cap isn’t to prop up the owner’s pension fund, it’s to make it a more even playing ground between Clubs.
Yeah it would be good for football and make a more even playing ground in that country. However my point is about wages in general, you usually hear that “footballers are so overpaid, nurses or teachers only get x amount”.

But paying footballers less wouldn’t change that, it would just drag tax money out of the country and make the foreign owners even richer.

However of course your right it would be an even playing ground for the clubs in the country that did it. However most good players would then simply leave and play elsewhere without a cap. The EPL would be deserted within a season if they capped salary and the top players could go to Spain or France and get 5x as much. It would need to be a universal thing.

When you say "one of the first" are there actually any others?

I'm not really up to speed on it, but how many clubs started in the Champions League and are now in the conference?
TBH I only said 1 of the first as I couldn't be arsed looking to see if anyone else was.

Brazil have flattered to deceive for most of my life. I'm 55 and haven't ever really seen this great footballing team...
People have this image of Brazil as being a brilliant fluent team with skilful footballers pulling tricks out all over the place with an abundance of flair.

The truth is that they’ve generally been a physically powerful, functional and quite cynical team with a scattering of talented individuals, outwith a couple of ‘golden’ generations.

If we were to be in the Champions League, it would be a borefest and nowhere near as entertaining as the Europa League. The financial benefits are obviously the main thing but watching teams that are in the top 4 of England, France, Spain, Germany and Italy have 70-80% of possession against us is pointless. Leverkusen at Ibrox was a prime example. Watching them pass the ball about in 2nd gear was one of the worst games I've been to.

People have this image of Brazil as being a brilliant fluent team with skilful footballers pulling tricks out all over the place with an abundance of flair.

The truth is that they’ve generally been a physically powerful, functional and quite cynical team with a scattering of talented individuals, outwith a couple of ‘golden’ generations.

Got to say I’ve never liked Brazil for the reasons you mention.

The fact that Gary Caldwell got more caps for Scotland than Souness, Cooper, Greig, Ferguson and Jordan shows international football up for the embarrassing joke that it is

The best XI from 15/16 years ago would destroy the best XI from now.

Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace were right for calling it out. If McGregor and Davis done it they'd be lauded for it.

The fact that in 07/08 there was 3 Scottish teams in Europe after christmas, for 1 to be knocked out by Barcelona, one by Bayern Munich and the other to make a final is an embarrassment that Clubs who do make it outwith us and the rotten mob are quite happy to just make it to the 1st ECL qualifying round and go out

Give us the best 11 from today and the best 11 from 15 years ago.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it's worth noting that guys like Salah have absolutely smashed records held by the likes of Henry.

International football should be competitive games only. No international friendlies

Champions league should be the champions of each country only and one team from each country

Give us the best 11 from today and the best 11 from 15 years ago.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it's worth noting that guys like Salah have absolutely smashed records held by the likes of Henry.
People always look at this with nostalgia. Robben, Muller, Lahm all from one side off the top of my head. Walk in to any team from 15 years ago.

A non old firm team doing a Leicester, somehow winning the league this year, and getting the direct £30m champions league money pot, would be the best thing to happen for Scottish football (including us) in the long term.

Obviously it’s not something I want to see *actually* happen, as we’d be missing out on it.

A non old firm team doing a Leicester, somehow winning the league this year, and getting the direct £30m champions league money pot, would be the best thing to happen for Scottish football (including us) in the long term.

Obviously it’s not something I want to see *actually* happen, as we’d be missing out on it.
I know what you mean. I’d love a more competitive league. One where we don’t have 3 stands at away grounds. Where points can be dropped anywhere. Teams of real quality. I’m only 31. If I ever see another team win the spl it’ll be because a billionaire bought them for some reason.

Agree with the OP on the Zidane goal, it was good but that’s all. Carlos Alberto’s was a thing of beauty though.

Not controversial as such, but I think football needs to be more open minded and take ideas from other sports more. Things like temporary substitutions in rugby, only the captain can question a referee, having a more formal rule about playing advantage or letting a player come back onside like in Ice Hockey.

Back