Controversial football opinions

Marcus Rashford is pish.

Controversial because various top level managers at Man U and England’s level seem to disagree, as well as ex players and pundits, but I just don’t see it with him.

I know what you mean. I’d love a more competitive league. One where we don’t have 3 stands at away grounds. Where points can be dropped anywhere. Teams of real quality. I’m only 31. If I ever see another team win the spl it’ll be because a billionaire bought them for some reason.

This exactly. It would add so much competition to the league in the long run, make more than 4 games a season worth watching for a neutral tv viewer, and actually add value to our league moving forward. Better tv deals, more money, even more competition. Nothing is going to improve the spl except a massive cash injection to another team as I see it. Reforming the league/split, is just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. I don’t think any right minded billionaire is going to do it, but buying (and I know we hate them) eg Dundee united or Aberdeen to restore their European pedigree would actually make the league interesting again for the neutral viewer, attract further investment, and probably reduce the societal problems that have come with the old firm rivalry. Dilute the hatred

Ok maybe I was being too generous with 3. But 5 year olds can.

So a 5 year old today can master a skill that the best footballer in the world in the 70s invented.
The best way to look at it I feel is this. In the sixties Jimi Hendrix was known as the greatest guitar player alive. Speed forward to nowadays, then yes there’s guitarists who shred, tap, strum in ways technically superior to Hendrix; but if it wasn’t for the original innovator then you wouldn’t have had the groundwork set in stone.

I know what you mean. I’d love a more competitive league. One where we don’t have 3 stands at away grounds. Where points can be dropped anywhere. Teams of real quality. I’m only 31. If I ever see another team win the spl it’ll be because a billionaire bought them for some reason.
Would definitely love a more competitive league. I'm the same age as you. It's only ever been us and the tims in our lifetime.

I actually emember quietly rooting for Hearts in Burley's time there, hoping that they could sustain the challenge.

Maybe one day.

Would definitely love a more competitive league. I'm the same age as you. It's only ever been us and the tims in our lifetime.

I actually emember quietly rooting for Hearts in Burley's time there, hoping that they could sustain the challenge.

Maybe one day.
I’m 10 years older and haven’t experienced anything like a realistic third challenge. It seems weird to not want us to win… but I think a new/different challenge is badly needed.

If a country's football association runs a third domestic cup it should be for Under 21s.

We will need to seriously reevaluate the importance of the league cup when the Champions League reverts to the Swiss model from 2024, and we have ten “group” games instead of six.

Messi shouldn’t have won the Ballon D’or

The Copa America is like an International version of the League Cup. Or Celtics European Cup run. You can win it by winning 4 games! Two groups of 5. After 4 pointless games 4 teams in each group qualify straight to the Quarter Finals. Wtf?

The Copa America is like an International version of the League Cup. Or Celtics European Cup run. You can win it by winning 4 games! Two groups of 5. After 4 pointless games 4 teams in each group qualify straight to the Quarter Finals. Wtf?
Better than the Euro’s, Portugal won that by finishing 3rd in their group drawing 3 games.

Plus they’ve had 5 Copa America’s in the last 10 years. If you’re having that many tournaments you’re bound to win one by law of averages.

It all felt a bit contrived to get him the award.

Countries that had overseas empires and large colonies have an unfair advantage today because migrants from those vast lands have moved to the mother countries, so they get to play their offspring in their national teams. I suppose Scotland and Wales benefit to a small extent, but England have hit the jackpot because most of these migrants settle in England. Other nations that benefit are France, Netherlands, Belgium and Italy amongst others.
I can only think of a single Italian player that has come from their 'Empire' and that is Gentile, but he was ethnically Italian.

Guys like Ogbonna and Balotelli are from Nigerian backgrounds rather than Libyan, Somali or Ethiopian ones.

Plus they’ve had 5 Copa America’s in the last 10 years. If you’re having that many tournaments you’re bound to win one by law of averages.

It all felt a bit contrived to get him the award.

So you think the South American football association decided to have more tournaments in the hope that Messi would win one? Nothing to do with it being their centenary year or the fact they changed the format so it was aligned with the Euros going forward.

Difference is in the Copa America and in South American qualifying for the World Cup, you don't really get any easy games. You'll never be in a group with the likes of San Marino or Andorra where you can gub them 10-0.

Argentina's opponents in Copa America 2021:
- Uruguay (17th)
- Paraguay (43rd)
- Chile (24th)
- Bolivia (77th)
- Ecuador (46th)
- Colombia (16th)
- Brazil (2nd)

Europe obviously has stronger top teams, but it also has a lot of guff along the way.

When you say "one of the first" are there actually any others?

I'm not really up to speed on it, but how many clubs started in the Champions League and are now in the conference?

Quite a few, Alashkert, Bodo Glimt and Macabbi Haifia off the top of my head. I think...

So you think the South American football association decided to have more tournaments in the hope that Messi would win one? Nothing to do with it being their centenary year or the fact they changed the format so it was aligned with the Euros going forward.

Difference is in the Copa America and in South American qualifying for the World Cup, you don't really get any easy games. You'll never be in a group with the likes of San Marino or Andorra where you can gub them 10-0.

Argentina's opponents in Copa America 2021:
- Uruguay (17th)
- Paraguay (43rd)
- Chile (24th)
- Bolivia (77th)
- Ecuador (46th)
- Colombia (16th)
- Brazil (2nd)

Europe obviously has stronger top teams, but it also has a lot of guff along the way.

Not that the South American football association decided to have more tournaments, more that a competition that wasn’t given much recognition when deciding the Balon D’Or previously was viewed as a major factor this year.

Not that the South American football association decided to have more tournaments, more that a competition that wasn’t given much recognition when deciding the Balon D’Or previously was viewed as a major factor this year.

It's the equivalent of winning the Euros though. Especially since they decided to water down the Euros by introducing more teams and having 3rd place qualifying for the knockout stages.

The UEFA Nations League on the other hand, is a friendly tournament.

It's the equivalent of winning the Euros though. Especially since they decided to water down the Euros by introducing more teams and having 3rd place qualifying for the knockout stages.

The UEFA Nations League on the other hand, is a friendly tournament.

There's what, 10 teams and they sometimes invite another?

Of those 10 teams, 2 of them can be considered at the top level alongside the best European ones. There's another few that would be 2nd or 3rd ranked in Euro qualifying groups at best.

It's not on the same level as the Euros when one tournament has 8 of the top 10 teams in the world an another has 2.

There's what, 10 teams and they sometimes invite another?

Of those 10 teams, 2 of them can be considered at the top level alongside the best European ones. There's another few that would be 2nd or 3rd ranked in Euro qualifying groups at best.

It's not on the same level as the Euros when one tournament has 8 of the top 10 teams in the world an another has 2.

Again fair enough, but I don't think the gulf between teams is that big.

Eg. World Cup 2018, Uruguay knocked out Portugal and it took England a penalty shootout to beat Colombia.

World Cup 2014, Chile finished 2nd in their group ahead of Spain, Colombia topped their group with 9 points out of 9, Uruguay finished ahead of Italy and England knocking both out.

World Cup 2010, Paraguay top their group knocking Italy out, Uruguay reach the semi finals.

So it's not just Brazil and Argentina who are decent sides.

Verratti is the best midfielder in the world in terms of controlling tempo and dictating play.

Verratti is the best midfielder in the world in terms of controlling tempo and dictating play.
If he doesn’t win the CL, then he’s going to look back and think what a waste of ability.

This is already a bit of thing in Italy just now, everyone wonders why he is plying his trade in France when it should be a much higher level.

Obviously the only argument is that PSG are strong contenders for the CL, would love him to go back to Italy or to Chelsea.

If he doesn’t win the CL, then he’s going to look back and think what a waste of ability.

This is already a bit of thing in Italy just now, everyone wonders why he is plying his trade in France when it should be a much higher level.

Obviously the only argument is that PSG are strong contenders for the CL, would love him to go back to Italy or to Chelsea.

What would he really prove in Italy though? Winning a league with Juve? Can't see any Italian sides competing for the CL in the coming years.

Apparently he smokes like a chimney.

Barry Ferguson was a better all round footballer than Roy Keane.
That's getting added to my "Big Bumper List of Things Said In The Bear Pit That Proves Many Rangers Fans Know Zero About Football", alongside such greats as:

"Xavi doesn't deserve to be anywhere near an all-time Champions League XI"
"Iniesta wasn't known for his dribbling"
"Gazza was better than Michael Laudrup"
"Michael Laudrup wasn't a genius"
"Gascoigne is in the top 5 players of all time"
"Richard Gough was better then Sergio Ramos"

What would he really prove in Italy though? Winning a league with Juve? Can't see any Italian sides competing for the CL in the coming years.

Apparently he smokes like a chimney.
He does.

I more want him to go back to Italy so I can watch him more regularly to be fair. I find French football boring as fck :))

That's getting added to my "Big Bumper List of Things Said In The Bear Pit That Proves Many Rangers Fans Know Zero About Football", alongside such greats as:

"Xavi doesn't deserve to be anywhere near an all-time Champions League XI"
"Iniesta wasn't known for his dribbling"
"Gazza was better than Michael Laudrup"
"Michael Laudrup wasn't a genius"
"Gascoigne is in the top 5 players of all time"
"Richard Gough was better then Sergio Ramos"
They are all wild shouts to be fair :))

I enjoy international football, think it is generally excellent and the Nations League has been a great addition.

I also really like the national team and when watching them never really consider Rangers and rivalries with other clubs much other than wanting to see Rangers players do as well as they can

Last edited:
Scottish football has far too many teams.

All 20 teams from League 1 and 2 should have merges with clubs within a relevant distance bringing the total number of clubs to 10 just for a start.

Money distributed would be better, crowd attendances for smaller/merged teams would be larger.

The best thing about VAR is it shows how utterly stupid offside is. Who cares where someone's toe is in comparison to someone else's toe? Scrap it now.
Arsene Wenger suggested the best possible change to offside rule, and it's very simple and easy to implement worldwide; change it from "if any part of the attacker's body that he could score with is ahead of the defender, he's offside" to "if any part of the attacker's body that he could score with is in-line or behind the defender, he's onside"

Not sure about that. Some absolutely incredible players outside Messi and Ronaldo. Real Madrids Champions League winning sides were unreal.
I'm not sure what the time gap in modern elite sports needs to be before the more modern one would guaranteed beat the older one, but 10 years can't be far off it. For example we all know any modern top level football team would beat the Real Madrid 1950s side or Brazil 1970 side in absolute terms, in the same way any pro tennis player with a ranking would destroy the Grand Slam winners of the 30s, 40, 50s, etc, again in absolute terms.

Arsene Wenger suggested the best possible change to offside rule, and it's very simple and easy to implement worldwide; change it from "if any part of the attacker's body that he could score with is ahead of the defender, he's offside" to "if any part of the attacker's body that he could score with is in-line or behind the defender, he's onside"

My idea is better. Scrap offside. Its beyond stupid.

I'm not sure what the time gap in modern elite sports needs to be before the more modern one would guaranteed beat the older one, but 10 years can't be far off it. For example we all know any modern top level football team would beat the Real Madrid 1950s side or Brazil 1970 side in absolute terms, in the same way any pro tennis player with a ranking would destroy the Grand Slam winners of the 30s, 40, 50s, etc, again in absolute terms.
Absolutely agree mate. People complain about why you don't get players like Ronaldinho anymore. He was outstanding to watch but was very much of his time. There's no way teams at the top end carry a player like him any more. It's all about the team unit now rather than individual superstars. I could never imagine him in a Pep or Klopp team for example. Especially with his off field lifestyle.

Zidane isn't as great a manager as believed and won his CL titles with a prime Madrid team. When he returned and players were past their prime, he got found out

This isn’t controversial, i think it’s the more common opinion on this forum. There’s even a section on it on Zidanes Wikipedia page. It’s mental because he won 3 CLs in a row which no one else has done with any other team in their prime, and there’s been better prime teams than he had, so it’s basically implausible he’s not a great manager yet so many people believe it. Winning one you could say it, but 3 in a row? What ifs and all that but would love to see how it would have been received had Klopp or Pep done it while managing the two teams they currently are with, that also happen to have been in their prime under the manager, but didn’t win 3 in a row.

What is controversial is when you read people say Poch is a better manager Zidane.

My idea is better. Scrap offside. Its beyond stupid.

So just have players camped out at the opponents 18 yard box?

Absolutely agree mate. People complain about why you don't get players like Ronaldinho anymore. He was outstanding to watch but was very much of his time. There's no way teams at the top end carry a player like him any more. It's all about the team unit now rather than individual superstars. I could never imagine him in a Pep or Klopp team for example. Especially with his off field lifestyle.

Ronaldinho walks into just about any team in history. He'd be the first name on any team sheet of today's teams.

Football nowadays is far too over-coached, meaning there are less flair players like Ronaldinho. That's not necessarily a good thing. But he absolutely walks into any team, as can be seen more recently with guys like Neymar.

Scottish football has far too many teams.

All 20 teams from League 1 and 2 should have merges with clubs within a relevant distance bringing the total number of clubs to 10 just for a start.

Money distributed would be better, crowd attendances for smaller/merged teams would be larger.
I am not convinced that this would work. On paper it does make sense, but when you start to look at the practicalities of it, I think it starts to fall apart. In reality, people who follow these types of club are not really motivated by success or prestige - they just like following their local team.

If for example Alloa & Stirling Albion were to merge, lets be realistic - the resulting club would still be an absolute minnow, and would p iss off fans of both of the legacy clubs. Same could be said if any of the following were to merge -

Forfar, Arbroath & Montrose
Cowdenbeath & Kelty
Raith & East Fife
Annan & Queen of the south
Albion Rovers & Airdrie Utd

not to mention the fact that other clubs who are even more small and pointless than any in this list would potentially be spared the ignominy of being merged just because there are not any other clubs geographically close enough to them for it to be viable (Elgin, Stranraer, Peterhead)

Lets also not forget the roles which smaller provincial clubs play in their local communities in terms of youth coaching, school visits, community trusts etc. Merging clubs would likely lead to these sorts of thing being spread a lot thinner.

The argument that merging together smaller clubs to make stronger & better supported teams is to me a bit like saying "lets merge Rangers & Celtic/ Hearts & Hibs / Dundee & Dundee United to create stronger clubs" - we all know that this idea is a non-starter because the OVERWHELMING majority of supporters of these teams would rather stay at home or go to the shops with the missus than watch some sort of frankenstein club. I don't see any reason to assume that supporters of small clubs would view things any differently

Last edited:
Back