Footballing "what ifs?"

superallythe2nd

The talk of Queens Park in the other thread has reignited a couple of long standing thoughts of mine (and has actually being touched on in said thread).

How different would Scottish football have been if Queens Park turned professional with the rest back in the day?

Secondly, had Third Lanark survived and being given a new lease of life moving to somewhere like EK in the late 60s - would they have been a decent-sized club, potentially challenging for titles/ cups?

Any others?

Last edited:
The talk of Queens Park in the other thread has reignited a couple of long standing thoughts of mine (and has actually being touched on in said thread).

How different would Scottish football have been if Queens Park turned professional back with the rest back in the day?

Secondly, had Third Lanark survived and being given a new lease of life moving to somewhere like EK in the late 60s - would they have been a decent-sized club, potentially challenging for titles/ cups?

Hibs are other what ifs. Had Celtic not formed and stole Hibs players from them, would Hibernian had the massive Irish fan base that Celtic now has?

Am I right in saying that Hibs (and to a lesser extent dundee Hibs, now dundee utd) were the first Irish teams in Scotland?

I often wondered what would have happened if we had won the Treble in 88/89. In the Cup final They scored from a shy that should have been awarded to the Rangers. That win kept them going for a while, I think if we had won that game they would have imploded big time.

Hibs are other what ifs. Had Celtic not formed and stole Hibs players from them, would Hibernian had the massive Irish fan base that Celtic now has?

Am I right in saying that Hibs (and to a lesser extent dundee Hibs, now dundee utd) were the first Irish teams in Scotland?
I would say you are correct with Hibs being formed among the Irish community in Edinburgh in 1875. Dundee United were a bit later, formed in 1909 I think?

I wonder "what if" there was no IT and league titles couldn't be dished out followed by "a resounding speech" on Zoom. Or a crucial vote going astray into the spam / junk folder then getting changed!!!

If Edmundo had played instead of R9 in 98.

If Forrest and Dandy were kept, if Willoughby played against Bayern.

If Jig had got out of Novo’s way in Manchester.

If we had lost to Celtic in 15/16, would it have gave us more chance of challenging them in 16/17 as they might not have appointed Rodgers.

I often wondered what would have happened if we had won the Treble in 88/89. In the Cup final They scored from a shy that should have been awarded to the Rangers. That win kept them going for a while, I think if we had won that game they would have imploded big time.
Was their last trophy until 1995 was it not? They also finished 5th the following season, then I don't believe they were at least second again until 1995/96.

The signing of Mo Johnston probably set them back much further than a treble for us could. Always nice to have another treble of course. :cool:

It was their last trophy win for 6 years.

The SFA had allowed Mike Ashley to increase his shareholding to 29.9% or whatever it was.

If Edmundo had played instead of R9 in 98.

If Forrest and Dandy were kept, if Willoughby played against Bayern.

If Jig had got out of Novo’s way in Manchester.

If we had lost to Celtic in 15/16, would it have gave us more chance of challenging them in 16/17 as they might not have appointed Rodgers.
That last one is something that I thought a lot about throughout 16/17

I believe that Delia would've still left, but I don't think they would've went for Rodgers.

That win absolutely rattled them.

The big one is obviously what if we never went down in 2012?

Would we have got better investment due to still being in the Premiership?
What players could we have got instead of the trash we had?
What managers could we have gotten (because Ally wasn't surviving)
Would that lot still go on with their reign of terror and get anywhere near their 10 because they couldn't shortcut their way around like they did with us still around?

How different would Scottish football have been if Queens Park turned professional with the rest back in the day?

Any others?
I'm sure it's already been established by GS and the Moonlighter that Rangers from the very outset were attracting their own devoted following, irrespective of what the amateur guardians of the game were up to.

The success of The Rangers wasn't built on the coat-tails of the superior and smug Queen's Park, who by the time they deigned to play us, already knew we were there to stay.

What if there had been no 3 foreigner rule back in the day? Would we have signed Andy Goram given we had Chris Woods?

It would be very interesting to see what the three in a row mainstays would have achieved had the Whyte debacle not happened.
Alan McGregor would be up there with the most exalted names in our history, that's for sure. If we'd been stable that season we may well have won the league even with Ally in charge. Celtic were no great shakes and we had better players.

Back