Would you be upset at having to move for safe standing?

Would you move seats

• Total voters

greggakd

Listening to H&H yesterday and when the discussion of safe standing was brought up, one of the reasons is people don’t want to move. I sit in the club deck so where I sit wouldn’t be affected, but if I sat somewhere it would, I don’t really understand why anyone would feel so strongly about it, knowing the match day atmosphere would be much better

I love my piece of plastic.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't but I think a single question is a bit disingenuous. It needs a full explanation outlining the benefits and has to come from a document agreed to by both the club and the fan base. I have no doubt a weighted question would be asked and it would be a stitch up to get the board the easy answer.

Ibrox is our seat not some bit of plastic in a stand. If safe standing was brought in the club should move those who dont want to participate somewhere else.
Where possible people should be offered the comparable seat at the opposite end of the stadium, e.g Broomloan Front movers should be offered Copland Front which is pretty much the same seat.

I chucked my season book in 2017 but my feelings at the time were I couldn’t care less if I was moved if it meant a better atmosphere.

Wheres the section planned on being? I’m in the broomloan front and if safe standing came in there I would like the option of just keeping my ST in that area

I said I would stay however I wouldn’t mind if I had to move so long as I wasn’t given an utterly pish view as my current view in GF4 is tremendous (hypothetically as I realise GF4 is unlikely to be safe standing). Same would apply if I was in BF.

Here we go, another poll that is set up to name and shame those who are not necessarily against safe standing but who are happy in the seat they are in.

We also have a thread question that pretty much asks the opposite of the poll question.

I sit in main rear so won't affect me but tell me how the match day atmosphere will be much better?

When we scored v Sparta the whole stadium was bouncing the noise was fantastic. You don't need safe standing for a great atmosphere.

The best atmosphere ever for me was v dinamo Kiev in 87/88. Ibrox was just about all seated apart from the enclosures. 1000s of us used to go away to the piggery, Easter Road, Tynecastle Tannadice and stand and never was the atmosphere close to Ibrox.

So club comes back and offers safe standing in East enclosure, you happy?

Listening to H&H yesterday and when the discussion of safe standing was brought up, one of the reasons is people don’t want to move. I sit in the club deck so where I sit wouldn’t be affected, but if I sat somewhere it would, I don’t really understand why anyone would feel so strongly about it, knowing the match day atmosphere would be much better

Your thread title and title of your OP are polar opposites mate, so you're going to get conflicting answers .

The thread title says "would you be upset at having to move?"
The OP is titled "would you move seats?"

You're not going to get an accurate answer unless you amend one of them.

Personally, I'm in favour of the principle of safe standing, but would be against being moved.
I've sat with my dad and uncle since my first ST when I was 8, 21 years ago and also have a lot of mates in our supporters club round about too who've gone for years.

A lot of people on here go on about "matchday experience."
Well my matchday experience is meeting a squad of people I've known for about 20 years, down PRW before the game, going to the game and sitting together, getting a blether about the game on the concourse at ht and then meet up down PRW after the game again.

I don't want to lose that and I'm sure plenty others feel the same.

Like I say, I'm in favour of creating a safe standing section and it won't affect me, as I'm in the Main Stand, but it's a sensitive situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate sitting. Up and down like a yo-yo for the exact same idiots who arrive late then want to go to the toilet then go for food and leave early. But there are people who love to sit. Who love their seat. They shouldn’t be made to move.

Last edited:
Where would the spare seats come from in CF?
I said where possible. I imagine some from CF will move to safe standing, there might be people that don't renew for whatever reason. Lots in BF would remain there too, so I don't think you would be migrating most of the stand.

I think you would have to start with a survey of what current season ticket holders would want to change their seat for a safe standing seat. That means you would know where seats would become available and if there was a stand where most people wanted moved from. It would be interesting to see just how many people say they want to safe stand.

I would move for the benefit of a better atmosphere, I sit in the copland rear and feel this would be the best location for safe standing.

Wheres the section planned on being? I’m in the broomloan front and if safe standing came in there I would like the option of just keeping my ST in that area
It isn’t planned. It’s been binned essentially.

Many different views in where it should be.

But, for me, the BF makes the most sense. At least half the stand watch the game standing up anyway. And for bigger games a lot more than that.

So if the biggest blocker is annoying folk, the BF has the least impact

Not that it matters. It’s not on the agenda

I would want to be part of a safe standing area but same time love where I sit at the minute. Would love BF to become standing and to get the option to stay there

The question in the post title has the opposite answer to the question above the poll.

Some people might be clicking no to answer 'Would you be upset at having to move for safe standing?' when in fact that answer would mean they were unhappy.

Perhaps edit it so that both answers mean the same thing to prevent any confusion.

Here we go, another poll that is set up to name and shame those who are not necessarily against safe standing but who are happy in the seat they are in.

We also have a thread question that pretty much asks the opposite of the poll question.

I sit in main rear so won't affect me but tell me how the match day atmosphere will be much better?

When we scored v Sparta the whole stadium was bouncing the noise was fantastic. You don't need safe standing for a great atmosphere.

The best atmosphere ever for me was v dinamo Kiev in 87/88. Ibrox was just about all seated apart from the enclosures. 1000s of us used to go away to the piggery, Easter Road, Tynecastle Tannadice and stand and never was the atmosphere close to Ibrox.

So club comes back and offers safe standing in East enclosure, you happy?
Naturally, we had just scored a goal, the deeper issue is the spells between 20 minutes and half time when the whole place is flat and is needing lifted.

I would expect most fans would say an away day p*sses all over home games TBH, it isn't just the natural defiance of being at an away ground, the entire premise of standing rather than sitting just creates a far more supportive environment in general, it is generally why people stand up when we score and create said atmosphere v Sparta you speak of.

If the club offered safe standing in the enclosure and the option was there to be move to it, I 100% would, I actually hate sitting at games TBH

Ibrox is our seat not some bit of plastic in a stand. If safe standing was brought in the club should move those who dont want to participate somewhere else.
I said where possible. I imagine some from CF will move to safe standing, there might be people that don't renew for whatever reason. Lots in BF would remain there too, so I don't think you would be migrating most of the stand.

Obviously families and other people who've sat together for years have to be accomodated in another part of the ground.

Getting all these people seated together would be the biggest challenge for the club.

Poll is slightly messed up by asking 1) Would you be upset? And then 2) Would you move seats? In the actual poll. That will cause confusion to those quickly scanning . . .

A bit leading with the question.

I think what people are not piecing together is the majority of the safe standing support will be younger generations of which I’m probably on the outer edge, I’m up for it and think it will be a great addition to the match day experience but what happens when I get a bit older, the knees and back get a bit older, setting off early to stand in a crowded subway neck cramped in like a hunchback, the walk to the stadium feels a bit longer and I want a seat at half time or when there’s a lull in play. Can I swap my ST for a seat next season? Absolutely no guarantee of that whatsoever, there’s a reason why folk get precious with their seat and it’s we are creatures of comfort and creatures of routine.
Once those folks seats in BF are lost then they are lost as I see it. The demand needs to be exact in terms of those happy to sacrifice their seat in other stands for a long term standing ticket and those wanting to swap. There’s a reason why the club should have researched and garnered opinion and a reason why they should complete the feasibility and support of it. It’s not as cut and dried as made out

It's happening at big clubs throughout Europe, a few years ago I didn't quite get it but it's the way forward. In my opinion, the clubs should act sooner and implement it, moving the supporters that need to be moved.

I said I would stay however I wouldn’t mind if I had to move so long as I wasn’t given an utterly pish view as my current view in GF4 is tremendous (hypothetically as I realise GF4 is unlikely to be safe standing). Same would apply if I was in BF.
Same area as yourself so I voted not to move seats but I realise that it isn't likely to affect me anyway if it ever comes to it.

Safe standing really isn’t this big of a deal. Games at Ibrox will still have 20 minute spells of lower atmosphere between goals or exciting phases of play. That’s football, anything else feels a bit manufactured. I’ll stand or sit in my current position. I won’t be singing and jumping around for 90 minutes, I’m there to watch a football game.

I'm in the main stand these days so it won't affect me.

I think there's a conflict here that the board are wary of opening up.

1. A majority of fans support safe standing in principle
2. A majority won't want moved from where they are to accomodate it, for the kind of reasons articulated by @MearnsUnionist

Naturally, we had just scored a goal, the deeper issue is the spells between 20 minutes and half time when the whole place is flat and is needing lifted.

I would expect most fans would say an away day p*sses all over home games TBH, it isn't just the natural defiance of being at an away ground, the entire premise of standing rather than sitting just creates a far more supportive environment in general, it is generally why people stand up when we score and create said atmosphere v Sparta you speak of.

If the club offered safe standing in the enclosure and the option was there to be move to it, I 100% would, I actually hate sitting at games TBH

For away days it's not just all about the football.

For many, it's a day out with the lads, a bevvy and a sing song on the bus.

Having a bigger rival support to sing louder than also helps..... Not suggesting for a minute we increase the away support at Ibrox BTW.

Atmosphere will always be dictated by the sense of occasion, the opposition and what is happening on the pitch.

I am not completely against the idea of a safe standing section if there is a demand for it but these name and shaming polls with loaded answers are a load of shite.

Moving other fans who are happy where they are is an issue though and should not be mocked like the op is doing.

Not much chance of me being moved from the Club Deck but I would definitely be cheesed off at being moved from what I think are very good seats.

I'm a bit sceptical about whether safe standing will really improve the atmosphere but im happy for it to be tried as long as it doesn't directly affect me. I suspect a majority of fans feel much the same way.

I think there was a comment in the AGM thread from Mark that it was mentioned that the ticketing software is outdated so I would imagine before anyone could even begin to think about the huge logistics operation of shuffling potentially thousands of supporters, new software to manage seating etc would need to be implemented.

Obviously families and other people who've sat together for years have to be accomodated in another part of the ground.

Getting all these people seated together would be the biggest challenge for the club.
Great opportunity to rejig the full seating arrangements at Ibrox, get RSCs together etc

Personally I can’t ever see safe standing happening unless we increased the capacity by 3,000+ as that would be a good starting point to start moving people

For away days it's not just all about the football.

For many, it's a day out with the lads, a bevvy and a sing song on the bus.

Having a bigger rival support to sing louder than also helps..... Not suggesting for a minute we increase the away support at Ibrox BTW.

Atmosphere will always be dictated by the sense of occasion, the opposition and what is happening on the pitch.

I am not completely against the idea of a safe standing section if there is a demand for it but these name and shaming polls with loaded answers are a load of shite.

Moving other fans who are happy where they are is an issue though and should not be mocked like the op is doing.

I don't entirely agree with that TBH re the bevvy thing and away days "not being about the football", a hell of a lot of the away support go away every second weekend rather than it simply being a bevvy day out. A slight element of myth around the idea that many drink that much more or less at your average away day than they would at a home game, Semi Finals or Finals sure, but most away games i.e Livvy, St Miren etc it's hardly the travel time to be on location to drink much more than people would at Ibrox, and most who drink away can drink at home games, there is a pretty decent number of pubs around Ibrox. I would expect by the time you chuck in people who don't always attend Ibrox and get the day out a higher % of the support at Ibrox are on the bevvy than that of the away support

The travel time to most likely doesn't change that much regardless of where we are playing due to the range of where fans come from unless it is Aberdeen or Ross County which generally are just decent for the bus and the day, an away day isn't more vocal because people are steaming and going heavy on the bevvy.

I would also question the point re having a bigger support to rival, in reality at most away games, there isn't that much a difference between the number of home fans to Rangers fans

Atmosphere, doesn't always have to be dictated by the sense of occasion, we have a section at the moment who literally evidence that most weeks at Ibrox, the general level of noise that comes from them doesn't change that much regardless of the event or occasion.

This isn't really a thread to name or shame, always find it odd how uppity some get when these questions are asked, it's not really mocking anyone

Last edited:
Great opportunity to rejig the full seating arrangements at Ibrox, get RSCs together etc

Personally I can’t ever see safe standing happening unless we increased the capacity by 3,000+ as that would be a good starting point to start moving people

Yep mate, capacity increase would definitely help.

Safe standing will never happen until all groups that have sat together for years are accommodated together, in another comparable section of the ground imo.

Yep mate, capacity increase would definitely help.

Safe standing will never happen until all groups that have sat together for years are accommodated together, in another comparable section of the ground imo.
Difference with Celtic was that they had 10,000 empty seats to play with and their standing section isn’t exactly a great view

Where I sit wouldn’t be suitable for safe standing so I wouldn’t be affected, however if I was in one of the lower sections and safe standing got brought in I would be more than happy and I would stay in the standing section.

Back