"3 points are all that matters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly is it "dangerous"?

Mate, we are supporters. We aren't on the pitch or in the dugout. Nothing dangerous at all if we don't give a damn and just want the result.

If we follow your train of thought to its logical conclusion we would need to get ourselves over to the training center tomorrow to let GVB and the players know its not good enough. That would be ridiculous.

The team and the management will know that we didn't play well tonight and they will try to make things better.

For us supporters? Does it harm anyone at all if we just enjoy the win and ignore the performance?
Yea, I get you.

Perhaps Dangerous isn't the right term when referencing fans, my point is probably more towards being dangerous mindset in general. (Results bias - outcome over input etc).

The frustration really comes from seeing fans on here almost having a go at people for stating that we were poor - like how dare they point a negative out just because we won - when the reality is they were 6-10 minutes away from doing the same had we dropped those 2 points, which was more than likely at that stage of the game.

I understand your point, and I agree, I am, and will, enjoy the result and the 3 points. Definitely crucial. Away from home to Hibs. Etc etc.

You'd better strap in for another month like this because with the fixture list the way it is GVB isn't going to have any time to work on much tactical stuff until after the winter break. We weren't great and weren't awful tonight, in the context of the past week we've had a brilliant set of results with encouraging signs in our performances, yeah it's not been perfect but we're entitled to be happy with the results and cautiously optimistic IMO

I don't ever care about the levels of performance. Its all about the three points. The performance is just a discussion point with your pals.

I recall winning by big margins in games we played average last year and playing well in games we won by a goal. Now they're distant memories but the season was a success in the league so that's all that matters.

I get it, and honestly, i'm absolutely delighted we got there in the end.
It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

However, for me, it's dangerous to paper over poor performances so casually.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.
But the performances for the coming games needs to be better.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
I was really pleased with Barasic though. Thought he defended really well.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
These 3 points are exactly the ones that can win you the league.
Aye, performances need to improve, but the new mgr is just in the door and 3 wins.

You are perfectly entitled to have a go at the performance mate, despite the reactions.

All through the start of the season it was “we got 3 points who cares”, until the performances caught up with us and we started dropping points of course.

You can’t get away with playing badly for the majority of the season.

But Gio is indeed just in the door, and has managed 2 wins at very hard grounds. So I’m hoping the performances will begin to develop under him.

Tonight was utterly dreadful though, against a very poor Hibs team.

Bed! Even if it is cracks that are being papered over then bring it on all the way to 56 and all the way to Gio having 2 windows as a MINIMUM before this nonsense even begins

3 points ARE all that matters, ever.

I’m pretty sure the manager will have spotted things he wants to improve on. The players will know they can do better.

But as fans we’re entitled to just take the win and head for the next match.
Agree to an extent.

3 points are vital as always. But…as fans we shouldnt accept mediocrity which is what we got tonight.

But…3 points as you say.

3 points is ultimately all that matters though.

Indeed. Performances generally dictate whether we get enough of those 3 points though,

Nothing wrong with having an opinion about the performance and enjoying the 3 pts.
Too many people on here have results bias until one day/night we do drop the points and the same guys go mental and act like there weren't signs and then want to talk about the performance.

You are perfectly entitled to have a go at the performance mate, despite the reactions.

All through the start of the season it was “we got 3 points who cares”, until the performances caught up with us and we started dropping points of course.

But Gio is indeed just in the door, and has managed 2 wins at very hard grounds. So I’m hoping the performances will begin to develop under him.

Exactly this mate.

It's the fans that don't want to see it when it's there in front of us; but then will complain about the same things when we don't manage to sneak the points.

Some don't like hearing about their own hypocrisy, that is what it is.

Hahaha. Fcuk off man. If you're not absolutely buzzing after that then I don't know what to say.

Hahaha. Fcuk off man. If you're not absolutely buzzing after that then I don't know what to say.
Wit? Course I am. Buzzing because its a late winner at a tough away ground and a massive victory.

Can still objectively look at the performance, and the season as a whole.

We could have been out of the Cup , out of Europe and letting the rabids back within striking distance of the league, all whilst we are still in disarray bemoaning Gerrard jilting us. The turnaround is huge and it’s all being done with the house that Gerrard built and by a group of players that disgusted us just a few weeks ago. That is a caveat that cannot be underplayed to give a ‘dreadful’ performance a glowing thumbs up!

3 points ARE all that matters, ever.

I’m pretty sure the manager will have spotted things he wants to improve on. The players will know they can do better.

But as fans we’re entitled to just take the win and head for the next match.
I'm not saying we don't take it. Not for a second.
I'll take it and run with it.

But people having a go at others for stating it's a bad performance elsewhere; when a lot of those people would have been discussing (angrily in some cases) exactly that had we dropped points, is a bit off imo.

Results bias.

Love the fact we got 3 pts.
Definitely think we won't get away with playing like that offensively very often though.

We could have been out of the Cup , out of Europe and letting the rabids back within striking distance of the league, all whilst we are still in disarray bemoaning Gerrard jilting us. The turnaround is huge and it’s all being done with the house that Gerrard built and by a group of players that disgusted us just a few weeks ago. That is a caveat that cannot be underplayed to give a ‘dreadful’ performance a glowing thumbs up!
No one is discussing the bigger picture or criticising Gio.
You don't have to try to spin anything like that.

It was about tonight.

3 points are the aim of the game, no matter how well or badly we play. We play this game to get 3 points, simple as that.

We weren’t fully at our best but it wasn’t the worst either. A few slack passes here and there but we defended as well as could be and we didn’t concede which is a major bonus these days.

Gio has just completed his 3rd game as Manager of Rangers Football Club. He’s still picking holes in his team, tactics, opposition, who his best players are, who he can trust and rely on when the chips are down, he he rates and who he doesn’t.

We can see that he’s already brought the full backs back a wee bit, allowing our front 3 to attack from the front and be the first line of defence. He’s using Hagi as one of his forwards, he fancies Arfield as someone he can trust so far, and he’s already had a reasonably positive effect on Morelos, and theres plenty more to come from this management team.

Plenty of points to win and win ugly, and there will be times when we batter teams to death.

Tonight was a HUGE result. Don’t underestimate how much of a good result that was. AND, it puts all the pressure on them again tomorrow.

Let’s see how they fare against a decent Hearts side. Let’s see if they can handle the pressure of a reasonable points cushion against them.

We've just won 3 games in a row in 6 days

Yes we weren't free flowing and created less than the 2 previous games

But,Gio said in his pre match interview "keep the zero and get a goal" and it happened

Is there any sense as a football supporter in beating yourself up over hypothetical scenarios like us not getting the penalty and winning?

3 points,bring on Saturday where we will hopefully put in a better performance.

Personally I thought the full backs not bombing forward caused our forwards a few issues with their final ball,they fuffered from poor decision making as their go to easy pass to the full back wasn't on.

This will improve with time working on the new system and what's expected of them

Cool bro. That is a fcuking massive win. 38 games, can't play well in them all.
Indeed, and the issue the OP brought up is we haven’t really played well in any of them. Probably count them on one hand.

Was backing him up because of the ridiculous responses.

Agree to an extent.

3 points are vital as always. But…as fans we shouldnt accept mediocrity which is what we got tonight.

But…3 points as you say.

I’d say accepting mediocrity would be being happy with Pedro era.

There’s a difference between that and demanding we play brilliantly every match and win by three or four.

That’s just unrealistic.

I just watched Chelsea go to Watford and grind out a 2-1 on MotD. It happens to every team occasionally but the ones who win things make sure they take the points.

OP is right though.

The "aye but we are 4 points ahead" crowd might not have that to hold on all year.

And I am sure that crowd are also massive pedants who will point out we are not 7 ahead as of tonight.

After the game at Hampden we just put to bed an absolute horror show

I'll forgive the poor performance considering the amount of fight and heart the team showed compared to 10 days ago

That's right, in 10 days we have 3 wins,2 clean sheets qualified for Europa League knockouts with a game to spare and we are currently 7 points clear at the top of the league with more goals scored than the gallowgate globetrotters

So,yeah forgive me if I enjoy a win at a very difficult ground less than 2 weeks into a new managers tenure with players learning a new system
Always good to see a post like this. Honestly if anyone wants to get themselves into the pshycoligist game, have a look at the match thread.

Like carstairs on crack.

Not sure what people were expecting Gio to do here? We still have the same players and the lack of form for most of the key ones and the lack of quality in other areas.

The good thing is that hopefully he can see what the issues are and what is required to get us back on track because we have a massive transfer window coming up - we need to strengthen and if that means selling one or two then it needs to be done.

Hopefully Gio has realised that we can't play with 2 defensive midfielders - it's either Kamara or Davies and in current form it's almost certainly Kamara with Davies perhaps being brought on if we have a lead.

You have a point, the performance wasn't great. Disagree about Hibs performance though, I thought they put absolutely everything into that game and only lacked a bit of quality in our box, rest of the pitch they played with a lot of passion and desire to win the game. Our performance and quality was horrible though, Gio will be well aware of this and I think he will probably reconsider how he uses Davis and Hagi

I don't remember them having many chances, unless I'm mentally blocking them out. A few 'nearly moments' for them but we had better chances and could have scored more.

We are a team in transition at the moment. If we can keep picking up 3 points while in ‘transit’ I’ll be happy to accept that. He’s just getting to know the players and who can contribute what and when. If he can keep adding 3 points while we get to where we want to be, that’ll do me.

‘The 4 points ahead crowd’ is a pretty snide way to refer to fellow fans for the crime of being happy we won and lead the table.

Be as miserable as you want but this weird need to castigate other supporters for not being worriers is just bizarre.
No it isn't. It's not about being miserable, we simply are not playing well. I am surprised you can't take such an analysis when it is hitting you in the face. We've barely played well all season.

4 points ahead crowd simply indicates that it isn't where we are in November that matters but that we should be awake at general trends in our performances. We have not been very good. Masked by the fact celtic have one of their worst starts in decades. Sorry if that offends the perennial optimists.

I'll be direct, I fear that the "aye but we are 4 points ahead" will turn into the "aye but we were 4 points ahead" and I hope I am wrong.

If I am wrong then excellent, I hope that is the case and everything is super excellent. And It is just me castigating people as you put it. Let's see. I hope you're huge optimism is correct and I am wrong.

Spare me the "snidey" stuff for commenting on our performances. Nobody wants to be proved right in saying we're not in good shape.

I've posted on here for 21 years and never ventured into a match thread

Even I'm not that sadistic :D
I have no choice mate, as I dont have sky or bt, so i go through the madness of it to keep up.

I've never met you, but take this as a friendly gesture. Don't in anyway change your 21 year routine.

No it isn't. It's not about being miserable, we simply are not playing well. I am surprised you can't take such an analysis when it is hitting you in the face. We've barely played well all season.

4 points ahead crowd simply indicates that it isn't where we are in November that matters but that we should be awake at general trends in our performances. We have not been very good. Masked by the fact celtic have one of their worst starts in decades. Sorry if that offends the perennial optimists.

I'll be direct, I fear that the "aye but we are 4 points ahead" will turn into the "aye but we were 4 points ahead" and I hope I am wrong.

If I am wrong then excellent, I hope that is the case and everything is super excellent. And It is just me castigating people as you put it. Let's see. I hope you're huge optimism is correct and I am wrong.

Spare me the "snidey" stuff for commenting on our performances. Nobody wants to be proved right in saying we're not in good shape.
Honestly what are you expecting ? The problem was Gerrard and him not wanting to be here . The new manager has had three wins out of three , yes tonight was a shit performance but no worse than the previous manger provided Motherwell excepted .

I get it, and honestly, i'm absolutely delighted we got there in the end.
It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

However, for me, it's dangerous to paper over poor performances so casually.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.
But the performances for the coming games needs to be better.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
I was really pleased with Barasic though. Thought he defended really well.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
I bought a little VW Polo off a fellow Bear for £250 a good few years ago. He said he got a massive 95mph out it. I laughed, coz obviously I'm a much better driver than he is. So, I took it for a run and guess what? I got 95mph out it.

The difference between this team and my Polo, this team is improving. You can only piss with the cock you got.

Honestly what are you expecting ? The problem was Gerrard and him not wanting to be here . The new manager has had three wins out of three , yes tonight was a shit performance but no worse than the previous manger provided Motherwell excepted .

I think we played really well against Sparta, a good performance against Livi and poor tonight. We’ve scored 14 goals in our last 4 league games and and conceded 4. We’ve lost 1 game since MARCH 2020 and despite not being at our best this season, we’ve only lost 1 game. That’s not a bad record at all.

Ironically, I think 1 of our best performances this season was against Motherwell at home. A 1-1 draw. All about the 3 points. That’s why Walter Smith is a legend.

Agree to an extent.

But…3 points as you say.
I keep seeing similar statements on here.
This is unacceptable.
We shouldn't accept that.

What does "not accepting" tonight's performance even look like?

Don't applaud them at full time?
Hurl abuse?
Let Gio and the players know somehow? How?

Its a serious question because it seems to come up a lot on here. What we should and shouldn't accept. Nobody really suggests how we should "refuse to accept" the way a season pans out.

Are we talking about sharks in the carpark or does "not accepting mediocrity" just mean "having a bit of a moan online"?

We really do have a lot of entitled and ungrateful supporters who "demand success" even to the point of moaning constantly when success is pending because performances aren't satisfactory.

The squad isn't going to change much and the way we play won't change too much either. Just a case of supporting the team and seeing how it pans out now.

The manager will be trying out some different things. It takes time to see if things you want to happen actually happen in the games. We didn’t play well tonight. But we’ve won all three games under his guidance and he’ll be starting to get a better feel for how we should line up with the players we have available based on their current form.

We've dropped 9 points after 15 games. That's not too bad.
Puts us on course for around 91 points come the end of the season.

Even with their worst start in ages could we really expect to be that much more than 4 clear at this point in the season?

They've dropped 13. Obviously expecting to be 13 clear is absurd. 6 or 7 clear is probably more realistic. So 4 clear isn't spectacular but it's not too bad either.

We have been poor at times but also good at times. Same as 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11.

Its like so many supporters have forgotten exactly what a winning league campaign looks like from the inside. Plenty of nights like tonight. Plenty of points dropped (usually 20 odd points dropped in a title winning season) and plenty of crap performances.

Three points are all that matter on Saturday too - and pretty much for all of December and especially against the beast after New Year.

I'm not quite sure what people are expecting under the circumstances? There are so many games right now, we can barely train.

Three points are all that matter on Saturday too - and pretty much for all of December and especially against the beast after New Year.

I'm not quite sure what people are expecting under the circumstances? There are so many games right now, we can barely train.
Agreed. All about the points on the day.

I know people are saying poor performance and it was but when was the last time we actually performed well against Hibs?

They massively, massively up there game for us and put in ridiculous levels of effort.

They have also found a way of playing against us that while not always successful tends to give us a very hard game.

Make no mistakes we wouldn't have won that pre international break. They were out working us in the home game until Porteous acted like his usual self. Hibs are probably our hardest game after Celtic. This was a massive 3 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back