James Tavernier - our longest serving captain since Richard Gough

Interested to see how this new role goes for him. Obvious he and Borna been told to hang back more to cover was particularly noticeable Wednesday night.
He is a much better defender nowadays than a few years ago even if some can't admit that.
I think it might be a good thing. I was saying to my mate the other day that particularly Borna could benefit from not bombing up and down constantly and just going when it’s appropriate could reduce the strain on his body as he’s clearly been struggling a bit this season.

Tavs a unit though, but neither of them are getting any younger and are both considered post peak now

Nevermind Ronaldo and his 800 tap ins. TavMeister is where it's at. absolutely outstanding from the captain. Made mistakes like everyone but all n all he was there when it counted! Fucking brilliant. fantastic.

Tavernier is more of a Rangers Captain than Ferguson ever was. I know that won't go down well but Tavernier conducts himself in a manner more befitting of a Rangers Captain.
Ferguson couldn't shake off being a bam.
Can’t disagree with this. Ferguson was a helluva player, absolutely the sort of player you want on the park but I always think he was a numpty.

Also, Tav isn’t half the player Bazza was.

I really like tav. He makes mistakes like all players but because he’s captain seems to get more stuck for it. Been a great servant for us

Say what you want about his defending, his loyalty in this day and age has to be respected.

You have to fancy him to overtake the tenure of Terry Butcher too.

History will be very kind to Tav...we have all been guilty in the moment of being critical with many of our greats but time will tell and does tell a better story for many. I remember how frustrating big Amo was but f#@k I love the big fella.

Is there a reason Ricksen isn't on the captain list on wikipedia? I was pretty sure he was officially the captain rather than just standing in for a few games

Tavernier is more of a Rangers Captain than Ferguson ever was. I know that won't go down well but Tavernier conducts himself in a manner more befitting of a Rangers Captain.
I'd rather have Barry as captain all day long.

Is there a reason Ricksen isn't on the captain list on wikipedia? I was pretty sure he was officially the captain rather than just standing in for a few games
Was he not stand in due to Klos’ injury?

Reactions: ozo
I think it might be a good thing. I was saying to my mate the other day that particularly Borna could benefit from not bombing up and down constantly and just going when it’s appropriate could reduce the strain on his body as he’s clearly been struggling a bit this season.

Tavs a unit though, but neither of them are getting any younger and are both considered post peak now
Aye it's been clear so far Tav is doing more attacking compared to Borna. Makes sense - use Tavs athleticism while still having borna for us set pieces and crossing from deep

Aye it's been clear so far Tav is doing more attacking compared to Borna. Makes sense - use Tavs athleticism while still having borna for us set pieces and crossing from deep
Totally. Also if you’re asking him to maybe go 10 times a match instead of 30, the quality is gonna be better IMO

one a leader and one is not

From memory Klos was the official captain that season and Ricksen took over when he got injured. Then at the end of the season Barry took over permanently from Klos.

Reactions: ozo
Ferguson disgraced himself as Rangers captain several times and continues to disgrace himself with the utter drivel he writes in his newspaper column every week. Would take Tav over him any day.
As captain, sure but surely not as a player in the XI?

Eventually when tav does leave rangers which I think will be when he retires imo, his family are all settled here and he loves it here. History will look very kindly upon tav as well, will go down as one of our great captains eventually imo
For that to be the case he needs to lift more silverware. 1 trophy out of god knows how many since he’s been here isn’t enough

For that to be the case he needs to lift more silverware. 1 trophy out of god knows how many since he’s been here isn’t enough
Well I mean yes, that’s why i said he would be looked back on to be a great captain by the end of his time with us.

From memory Klos was the official captain that season and Ricksen took over when he got injured. Then at the end of the season Barry took over permanently from Klos.
That sounds about right to me, was it not a bike accident that caused Klos injury

Laudrup was 'official' club captain???

I have absolutely zero recollection of that.

I’d rather Ferguson any day of the week. Far superior player and a better leader. His medal haul and performances in Europe are proof of that.

I’d rather Ferguson any day of the week. Far superior player and a better leader. His medal haul and performances in Europe are proof of that.
Don't think anyone would doubt Barry is the better player, but his behaviour as captain left a lot to be desired.

Don't think anyone would doubt Barry is the better player, but his behaviour as captain left a lot to be desired.
He certainly let himself down off the park a couple of times but on the park he was an outstanding leader who captained us during two very successful spells.

Laudrup was 'official' club captain???

I have absolutely zero recollection of that.

Gough left after nine in a row just as Laudrup was entering the last year of his contract. We wanted him to stay so gave him the captaincy for one season.

He certainly let himself down off the park a couple of times but on the park he was an outstanding leader who captained us during two very successful spells.

In his second spell as captain, Ferguson captained us to two trophies. The League Cup and Scottish Cup in 07/08. Other notable achievement was reaching the Uefa Cup as captain the same year.

Won more trophies in his first spell as captain.

Ferguson captained Rangers like it was the Barry Ferguson show. Which is fine when he was backing it up.

Back