We are spoiled

We were spoiled. Hurts looking back at the old teams we used to have, todays team really does pale in comparison as much as i love them but we used to have amazing players.

they were/are spoiled being allowed to manage a club of our size
True enough but youve got to be thankful and say it worked, will work equally for both parties. Rangers should always be proud to have people like that representing us as they should to be here.

Which Im sure they are.

Why have we been spoilt? We are a massive club who should have great players playing for us.

Spoilt fans are those who support tinpot clubs in England who receive £m’s each year and get to see some of the best players in the world i.e. those Brighton fans who boo when their team are 8th in the league.

Perhaps. Considering Advocaat's expenditure though, I'd say our Euro record under him was way below expectations.
First season in the CL we were genuinely unlucky, going out to a Valencia side who got to the final that season and the one after, and a Bayern team who were beaten finalists the season before and won it the following year.

2000/01 we blew it though after winning our first two games in a very favourable group.

I've just watched old footage and Albertz, klos, numan, mols, etc what a team. Players like tugay couldn't get a spot. What a team
‘We’ are yes. But there’s a generation of bears now that will at best faintly remember that. For me growing up was 9iar, advocaat, Mcleish and Walters second spell, didn’t realise how lucky I was. The younger bears deserve the best. Most of the young mob will never have heard Ibrox on a CL night, mad to think about.

Perhaps. Considering Advocaat's expenditure though, I'd say our Euro record under him was way below expectations.
The season 2000/01was a sore one as we had won our first two matches. But we were obviously imploding off and on the park.

I disagree with the previous season though. It took a dodgy ref, a free kick that never was and deflection I'm sure to deprive us of a win against a team who were two minutes away from winning the trophy itself four months previously.

Then there was the away leg in Munich. Mols injury, the missed chances, a penalty that never was that eliminated us. Coming out of the home win v PSV, we had never witnessed us play so well in the CL against a class team.

I was very proud of the team's CL campaign that season.

I was going to post that we should have won the Uefa cup, then I saw the Arsenal and Galatasaray teams that made the final in 2000. Hagi’s old man along with Henry, Bergkamp, Viera and a host of other legends. We were good but there were some special teams around back then too. Still feel we underachieved given the money we were spending at the time.

Last edited:
I was going to post that we should have won the Uefa cup, then I saw the Arsenal and Galatasaray teams that made the final in 2000. Hagi’s old man along with Henry, Bergkamp, Viera and a host of other legends. We were good but there were some special teams around back then too. Still feel we underachieved given the money we were spending at the time.
This is spot on.

When I hear “we underachieved in europe during 9 in a row” it blows my mind. Our squad was nowhere near the levels of the Ajax and Juventus teams that gave us chasings in the mid 90’s. Yes we spent a lot but were already a long way off the top teams.

Advocaats squad was stronger and more ready for it, but the bigger teams were already pulling away at this point. Beating the likes of Dortmund & Parma was probably our level.

An example is in 1998-99 we spent what £35 million on a whole squad near enough.

That same year Man Utd spent £28 million on 3 players (Yorke; Blomquist; Staam). Juventus spent 10.5 on Henry.

You could say that for the vast majority of teams and seasons in our history. Apart from the current side
Yeah we’ve had the odd good run but the last few years has been by far the most consistent.

We were spoiled and unfortunately a lot of fans still compare now to then when the whole football landscape has changed.-

Try telling that to the younger fans who only experienced the shit until last season.

Football has moved on massively from that time period you refer to in your OP
We underachieved we just never had that luck or determination

Advocaat struggled from Smith’s European performances. It meant that DA’s side was never seeded. Tough qualifying ties and always bottom seeds in the group.

People will say DA underachieved in Europe, but he did well enough to move Rangers from unseeded/bottom seeds to second pot seeds in a CL group and top seeds in a UEFA Cup - under McLeish.

It’s wrong to do a straight comparison of the eras when seeding plays such a huge part in outcomes.

Tough draws and bad luck.

First season did well put out by eventual winners after a decent run against some good sides.

Next season very unlucky against Bayern and put out by two teams who’d be in the final the next season. Out of the UEFA cup by Dortmund on penalties during an injury crisis playing an emergency keeper.

Fucked it the next season a bit to be fair. Injuries and form killed us again. Still in our hands for the last game but individual errors were costly. Kaiserslautern was a write off.

Fucked it a bit in qualifiers next season but the team were kinda on the way out by then. Then put out a great PSG side and were again put out by the eventual winners in a game we probably should have won.

Overall probably did as well as we could have hoped under the circumstances and a flip of the coin could have done something special.

Back