Gerrard's interview with Carragher

Not watched it…does he look happy?

I am glad he took the opportunity at Villa now rather than wait until the end of the season, i don’t want players or managers at Rangers that do not want to be here or their hearts are not 100% in it.

The change in Gerrard in the few weeks before his departure was obvious and it was showing on the park, glad he has now gone and i do believe we have a genuine upgrade in GVB, Mick Beale will be more missed than Gerrard imo.

Last edited:
He'll never experience a day like he did last March for that St Mirren game again in his puff.

Mid table mediocrity at Aston Villa at best and not getting them relegated for the foreseeable future will be his remit, I really wasn't up nor down when he left and getting Gio was a major bonus considering how we have been performing this season.

Genuinely hope not, thought it was worth pondering though, or a situation similar to this, maybe not as severe. But most will get what I’m saying, human nature being as it is, the fans would look for someone to blame……pretty sure Gerrard would be too if the list, and the question remains, would it actually be his fault?
Yeah it is worth pondering, I've thought about it myself too and I'm sure others have as well. It's why I've been happy with the recent AGM as well as getting a manager like Gio in who has a speciality in youth players, to soften the blow so to speak, just in case. If it does happen then Gerrard would probably be the main one to blame as the Malmo qualifier loss has significantly handicapped this season for us

And that was the point about the throbbers above. If we won cup doubles every year but got nowhere near 55, they'd be saying that doesn't mean anything. In short, they are miserable wankers who move the goalposts somewhere else on the field to continue being miserable wankers there.

Correct. The same folk who were (rightly) mocking the tims for being desperate with their "1 trophy out of 9" patter are now using the "1 trophy out of 9" patter as a stick to beat Gerrard with.

Also, a point most seem to be forgetting when they constantly talk about Gerrard's timing is that he didn't have a say in when an EPL job he'd be interested in came up. If he'd already decided he needed to start thinking about heading South for whatever reason, be it family, lack of funds here, new challenge, told by Liverpool to get an EPL job first, whatever, then it would be bloody risky on his part to knock back the Villa job when it came up (assuming he deemed it suitable, which he clearly did), just so the timing is better for Rangers; what if another suitable EPL didn't come up again this season?

Last edited:
He'll never experience a day like he did last March for that St Mirren game again in his puff.

Mid table mediocrity at Aston Villa at best and not getting them relegated for the foreseeable future will be his remit, I really wasn't up nor down when he left and getting Gio was a major bonus considering how we have been performing this season.
If villa keep the form they have shown since he took over then I can see them getting the Europa league spot.four games they have won three and only lost one and that was to man city

He loved his time at Rangers and remains respectful to the Club and its people.

Hes made a far better career move than many think and he will be a winning with Villa then onto other things in time.

He was perfect for Rangers as we were for him. It was time to move on and both parties have quickly and seamlessly.

The minority who put the bad mouth on him for leaving really show themselves up and give Rangers Support a bad name.

They’re an embarrassment only to themselves.

I was angry at Gerrard for the timing but im over it now and hope he does well however I don’t see why we need daily threads about him, it shows a lack of respect to our current manager when some people are still obsessing over our previous manager.

If he was desperate to go to epl why make a lady's front bottom of emna dodds when she quizzed him

What people forget about that whole Emma Dodds thing is her question was (paraphrasing) "Some people have linked you with the Newcastle job, what would you say to them?" and Gerrard replied "Do I look happy? Do I look content? Then don't ask stupid questions". So what he said was in reply to Emma's "what would you say to them?". Key word being "them", not her.

Yes, he should have said that whilst he wasn’t going to Newcastle, he was open to going anywhere else in the EPL.

And you would definitely have been emotionally and intellectually mature enough to handle that response.

Nail on head mate. Can you imagine the reaction of these very same people, who are slating him and calling him a rat or a wank for leaving suddenly in the way he did, if he'd said "I'm not interested in leaving for Newcastle but if a better EPL job comes up I'll consider it straight away"?

Also, what happened to all the good will from 55 of "these players/manager can do what they like now, if they choose to go they do so as heroes/legends and with our best wishes after delivering 55"?

At the end of the day Steven Gerrard owes Rangers absolutely nothing, just as Rangers owe him absolutely nothing.

What people forget about that whole Emma Dodds thing is her question was (paraphrasing) "Some people have linked you with the Newcastle job, what would you say to them?" and Gerrard replied "Do I look happy? Do I look content? Then don't ask stupid questions". So what he said was in reply to Emma's "what would you say to them?". Key word being "them", not her.

He made his self out to be a liar and at the same time tried to embarrass Emma Dodds, not a good look from him at all.
And ultimately left him looking like a fool.

These threads are always insane.

We were a shambles. An embarrassment. He took over, won 55 and stopped the ‘9.5’ with a relatively small budget. After everything we have been though since 2012 that’s all we craved, another title and to stop them. He achieve it. It had started to look a bit stale this season so his head was turned by a job in England which I think we all know that’s where he ultimately wants to be.

I can’t bring myself to be more than mildly annoyed about it. I’ll always remember the good times and he will be forgiven once the anger subsides. Gio has came in at the right time, he’s a good manager who has a good squad to work with. Ultimately we weren’t left in lurch or trailing in the league.

I think we will look back at what happened soon and accept it was probably best for everyone involved.

Also throw in that a lot of whatever budget he DID have was created by the success he led us to in Europe.

Truth be told I was very bitter at Gerrard for the way conducted himself in leaving the club I felt he was extremely dry about the club and support he had and I expected more in that respect from him. Now I’m over him I would like him to do well as it breeds a better reputation for our club down south but truth is I really don’t care what he does now I’m eternally grateful for his work at our club that title win was sensational but now it looks as if what happened is the best scenario for all parties imo.

To be honest the better Gerrard (and Rogers to be fair) do in the EPL the better for us going forward. If they do really well then who knows what calibre of up and coming manager we may be able to attract for a few years that previously may have never considered Scotland. If the top half EPL teams can see that the managers who've been successful at Rangers/Celtic then go to mid/top half EPL teams and still do well, it can only the a good thing for us.

Last edited:
Nail on head mate. Can you imagine the reaction of these very same people, who are slating him and calling him a rat or a wank for leaving suddenly in the way he did, if he'd said "I'm not interested in leaving for Newcastle but if a better EPL job comes up I'll consider it straight away"?

Also, what happened to all the good will from 55 of "these players/manager can do what they like now, if they choose to go they do so as heroes/legends and with our best wishes after delivering 55"?

At the end of the day Steven Gerrard owes Rangers absolutely nothing, just as Rangers owe him absolutely nothing.

It's the same brattish behaviour we saw post-2012. The players who stayed would be heroes, apparently. Yet you still can't mention some names on here without some bitching going on.

Short memories.

My opinion of SG and his coaching team was formed before they snuck out.

When games and league runs were going to plan then everything was peachy.
When teams and coaches were putting pressure on then SG and staff struggled to turn things around..
For two seasons we looked good going into the winter breaks but lost form afterwards and ended up winning nothing. The test for him and staff will happen in the latter stages of the season in the Premier when it’s usually dog eats dog at the lower end of the table.

Thanks for 55 but I honestly couldn’t see us go much further with SG.
The change came at the right time for us and probably a case of the sooner the better.

Also people seem to be forgetting that the entire reason behind having a good Sporting Director and a robust, recognisable football identity that runs through all squads (youths, B, first team, women, etc) is to make the transitions between managers/first team coaches much smoother, and much less critical/important, than say trying to replace an Alex Ferguson or a Walter Smith.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize he was spending so much time down south. No wonder we were in a slump if we had a part time manager.

As for his time in charge, he undoubtedly left us in a stronger position than when he joined us, but ‘completing his remit’? One trophy in nine and failing to get past Malmo into the CL is not a great record for a Rangers manager.

He will forever be immortalized as part of the first Rangers team to reclaim the title after admin, but the way he left us in the lurch still leaves a bad taste. If he thought as highly of our club as he said he did then he would have negotiated a delay whilst he saw us through the Cup semi and a crucial EL tie. As it turned out we were able to salvage the later and important funds with it, but it was no thanks to Gerrard.

Gio is the man I wanted when Gerrrd got the job, so all’s well that ends well in the long run.

Can we get this absolute drivel to fück? What a pile of absolute steaming horse shite. The sense of entitlement by some on here is unreal. It's as if 2012 never happened.

From today incase anyone missed it

Hope he does well down there, the time was right to move on. Hard to see that at the time and can understand the ill feeling. hindsight showing we needed a refresh

One thing that we were all impressed with was his ability to handle the media. Clearly well trained.

One thing we probably didn’t join the dots on was using that same training to build the relationship with the fans.

I’m not saying he was false or lying etc etc through his entire time here. More that he knew how to get us on side.

He knows how to manage people.

Additionally, we heard many times from him how he had to give the players some home truths when they underperformed in a first half. Same as he said yesterday.

Maybe that’s part of the reason this season was so far off it. Players just didn’t buy into it for what ever reason.

In reflection, he has achieved really good things with us. On and off the park. I thank him. But in hindsight, the time he left us was perfect

Considering he captained Liverpool and England (over 100 caps too) for many years, right from the start of the social media age, anyone who didn't think he'd be probably the best media trained footballer in the UK was deluding themselves.

I don’t understand why any Rangers fan hates SG for what he did. He gave us 55, stopped Terry Munro, broke records in Scotland and brought us respect in Europe and had us top of the league when he left. For me he’ll always be a hero and i wish him well. But things were going stale and our form was suffering so much it would only have been a matter of time before the bheasts caught us up so why is anyone angry that we now have a manager committed to us who has already helped us to throw off the lethargy in our play and fight for every ball.
Alfie is scoring goals again, Bassey and Borna are improving big time and the defence is starting to look solid again.

Whats not to like?

It was a hell of a bombshell for the fans but I get the impression Ross Wilson and the board were well informed and were able to act quickly.

There’s no hard feelings from them towards Gerrard at all which we should take are cue from.

Things had gone a bit stale anyway, doubt there’s many fans who wish we still had Gerrard and didn’t have Gio.

Wish Gerrard all the best and hope Villa do well.

This is a very good point that many aren't considering, deliberately or otherwise - if the club felt betrayed at all by him the statement they made upon his departure would have been nowhere near as glowing. Yes, it was always going to be cordial and professional and positive, but it would have been a lot less so and a lot more to-the-point and short had they felt at all let down.

Correct. The same folk who were (rightly) mocking the tims for being desperate with their "1 trophy out of 9" patter are now using the "1 trophy out of 9" patter as a stick to beat Gerrard with.

Point proved:

I didn’t realize he was spending so much time down south. No wonder we were in a slump if we had a part time manager.

As for his time in charge, he undoubtedly left us in a stronger position than when he joined us, but ‘completing his remit’? One trophy in nine and failing to get past Malmo into the CL is not a great record for a Rangers manager.

Absolutely no issue with that clip at all, honest and upfront. Don't understand the bitching towards him. Thanks for stopping the ten and returning the amazing european nights to Ibrox. Good luck for the next chapter of your journey, hope you live your dream of bossing Liverpool one day and win the trophies. All the best to you and your family my man.

With that being said, how is Mr Van Bronckhorst this afternoon.

He came, won us 55.... Destroyed the TIAR holy grail of seperate entity fc. He's a hero to me. His portrait will sit proudly on the wall at Ibrox, as it should be.
Amen. I still love him. The difference between where we are now and where we were 5 days before his appointment (0-5) is massive. He resurrected us. It will potentially work out for the best all round.

Without watching it, I guarentee he'talks utter shite in that interview. "Completed his remit" at Rangers. Fck off.

Ok, what was his remit? And whatever your answer, please tell us who told you this was the remit.

I'd imagine if Gerrard says he's completed his remit, then he completed whatever remit he was given by the board. And that's the only remit that matters, not what you or anyone else imagined/wanted the remit to be.

Last edited:
In
Hope he does well down there, the time was right to move on. Hard to see that at the time and can understand the ill feeling. hindsight showing we needed a refresh
In Gerrards interview with his mate the (Gogger) Jamie Carragher he said,
It was selfish of him ...... He did it for himself and his family ....What loving father and husband wouldn't?...... Family first football second!

Bare in mind the team was becoming a bit stagnant, not a patch on last years heros So, he probably had that in mind?

If Gerrard did not win the league this year he would of remained in purgatory
In the Scottish premier for a long time to come with no offers coming from the English premiership.

Note: How many of these so called Rangers Supporters would be calling for his bollocks on the end of a stick at the end of a fruitless season?

Grateful for 55, one of the best seasons of my supporting life. Happy he's away, was never worried about losing him in a football sense.

The people that want to call principled men idiots for being disgusted with the way he left and trying to over intellectualise his pathetic interview with Emma or his words in this video says more about their weakness of character.

Move on, but don't rewrite history.

I thought his interview was ok tbh. He gave a pretty honest reflection on things. Some will say he talked bullshit, fair enough. Everyone has an opinion. Ambitious English Premier league team is a huge attraction to him and he loved playing in the league and wants to manage there. Yes ! The timing seems awful , However If we win the league then his timing was perfect. As it looked like he was creating a slump in form and didn’t seem to have the answers to get out of it. I think we are now in good hands with Gio and it’s already looking like upwards and onwards.

It’s embarrassing how so many in our support are acting like wee girls who have been dumped for the first time over Gerrard leaving.

He did a fantastic job for us and life moves on - he doesn’t just immediately become a t*at because he took another job.

I’ll always be grateful to him for what he did with us. We were an utter shambles and he helped transform us into champions and a force in Europe again.

I also do think the time was right for a change as we were looking stale this season and a new manager could be exactly what we were needing.

Considering he captained Liverpool and England (over 100 caps too) for many years, right from the start of the social media age, anyone who didn't think he'd be probably the best media trained footballer in the UK was deluding themselves.
i think almost everyone did and does know that he is highly skilled in that respect.

What many probably didn’t do is join the dots to the way he dealt with interactions with the fans. By intentions in interviews etc.

Even back to the ‘Lets go’ statement. Well rehearsed and got us up for it

He's gone now, so forget about him, whether you are a fan or you have resentment, in years to come I personally believe he will purely be a footnote in Rangers history, and won't be regarded amongst the greats

I was very vocal in wanting him gone after the Hamilton farce, my opinion of his time at Rangers would be 6/10, he won the big one, which none of us would swap for anything and don't kid yourself in thinking you would, but his domestic record for the money he had at his disposal was pretty terrible, but the flip side, Europe was a success

As I said, he's gone, and I'd rather he'd just shut up about Rangers now and worry about his club

Yeah it is worth pondering, I've thought about it myself too and I'm sure others have as well. It's why I've been happy with the recent AGM as well as getting a manager like Gio in who has a speciality in youth players, to soften the blow so to speak, just in case. If it does happen then Gerrard would probably be the main one to blame as the Malmo qualifier loss has significantly handicapped this season for us
Yeah my thoughts too, I always felt that preseason, not enough was done to prepare us for qualifiers

He will forever be immortalized as part of the first Rangers team to reclaim the title after admin, but the way he left us in the lurch still leaves a bad taste. If he thought as highly of our club as he said he did then he would have negotiated a delay whilst he saw us through the Cup semi and a crucial EL tie. As it turned out we were able to salvage the later and important funds with it, but it was no thanks to Gerrard.

Gio is the man I wanted when Gerrrd got the job, so all’s well that ends well in the long run.

Personally I’d be reluctant to appoint another manager who is going to be travelling back and forth to England every week. It’s always going to take its toll and will result in them eventually working their ticket.

First Warburton who was travelling to London a lot and then Gerrard. Funny how Gio looks to have relocated his family, yet it would probably take the same amount of time for him to get back to The Netherlands as London/Liverpool.

I also struggled with the ‘completed my remit’ line. A Rangers manager should never be content with one trophy and should always be hungry for more. Yet we seemed to have lost hunger this season which I’m getting the impression Gerrard wasn’t 100% on our wavelength and - despite telling us about his feelings for the club - was just using us as a stepping stone to a Premier League club. In our eyes we’re bigger than all but maybe 3/4 clubs down there so that was a hard pill to swallow.

But time has been a healer and I think it was the best move for all involved. I think Gerrard didn’t know how to get the team out of their rut and felt an EPL opportunity wouldn’t come again if we continued with the poor performances so I understand it, though I’m disappointed in him for the timing.

55/stopping the 10 should never be forgotten so I’ll always be eternally grateful for him for delivering that.

Back