Ryan Kent

TN8

Sorry if I've missed it, but haven't seen any news on why he was missing from the squad on Saturday. Any update? Really hoping he's not injured again.

Good to give him a rest and others some needed game time, hopefully the same happens in thursday with plenty of changes

With the squad continuity Gio is trying to get going I'm not sure I believe he was rested. Games are what he needs to regain his form. I'm a pessimist by nature right enough.

Will see what next Sunday brings. Could have been a combo of carrying a slight knock, and resting due to it.

As much as I was surprised on Saturday afternoon that he wasn't even on the bench, which made me doubt at the time that he really was 'rested', he's likely going to be starting 6 games in 21 days for us, starting from Sunday.

It was a smart move giving him a bit of time off in preparation for this busy period, considering he's not long back from injury.

He’s just back from a lay off that’s been bothering him since pre season. We have bigger games coming up than a gimmee against Dundee and a dead rubber in France tbh.
Because for some pro footballers they need to be managed correctly so that when they do play they reach their absolute optimum performance.
I’m not entirely convinced by either those explanations.

On his day Kent is still the best player in Scotland so even if he didn’t start I’d have expected him to be on the bench at least - it’s a squad game and nobody should be looking at any match as a ‘gimme.’

He returned from injury over a month ago so needs more game time if anything.

I could be completely wrong of course, I just found it odd.

Must admit, if I was the manager I would always have a fit Ryan Kent in the matchday squad for a league game.

But if I was manager, I'd have substituted Morelos at half time on Saturday so everyone should just be grateful I'm nowhere near the job.

Davis I can understand, but I’m still curious as to why a professional athlete of 25 needed a rest.

Could be a number of reasons, none of us on here are privvy to the players fitness. He's just back from a long lay off so might still have some niggles?

I very much doubt they rested him for the sake of it.

I think Kent needs to regain his confidence more than fitness. He just doesn't seem himself at times. Davis definitely needs to be managed more just now and when we have the likes of Bacuna, Jack etc available then that can happen. I really think Bacuna could be an excellent addition if given more time. He is not scared to take a shot from distance either.

On his day Kent is still the best player in Scotland so even if he didn’t start I’d have expected him to be on the bench at least - it’s a squad game and nobody should be looking at any match as a ‘gimme.’

Every game is important but you do need to look at games and pick and choose the best moments to rest players. Dundee at home is about the best opportunity you can get.

Regularly playing 2 games a week will result in accumulated muscle fatigue, which can then develop into muscular injuries, as we've just seen across the city with Jota and Welsh.

Kent has a history of hamstring injuries, so it makes perfect sense to give him some recovery time and remove the fatigue from his muscles.

Kent has a history of hamstring injuries, so it makes perfect sense to give him some recovery time and remove the fatigue from his muscles.
I think that’s a fair explanation, but it does suggest it’s possibly come about due to some reaction in training rather than him just being granted a wee rest.

Given the drive and willingness to shoot of Sakala, I can`t really say I missed him. Same, BTW, when Patterson was in for Tavernier while the latter was injured ...

He came back over a month ago.

I think that’s a fair explanation, but it does suggest it’s possibly come about due to some reaction in training rather than him just being granted a wee rest.

It could well be he's felt a bit of tightness during a training session, or equally there's been quite a high level of fatigue measured in his muscles and a decision was taken to rest him, so as not to aggravate the situation and risk another injury.

Sounds like you almost want it to be another reason.

I'd leave Kent out on Thursday and start him on Sunday as well. I do, however, hope he took note of Sakala running at his man, at pace, and going by him on Sunday. Kent has that in his locker, in spades, but too often makes the move inside into heavy traffic or stops and plays it backwards.

I'd leave Kent out on Thursday and start him on Sunday as well. I do, however, hope he took note of Sakala running at his man, at pace, and going by him on Sunday. Kent has that in his locker, in spades, but too often makes the move inside into heavy traffic or stops and plays it backwards.

To be fair, due to his reputation he’s very rarely not doubled up on VB.

To be fair, due to his reputation he’s very rarely not doubled up on VB.
That's true to a degree - but with us stretching defences wider in our 'new' formation he may well, hopefully, find himself with more space out wide. He has more natural ability than Sakala. I don't think beating 2 men instead of 1 will stymie him. I'm more looking for him to change mindset to 'I'm going to take these f*ckers on' and take that gamble rather than, too often, going for the safe option. He has the ability and he has the speed.

Back