Club Statement on Lyon

Been half expecting this - though I was thinking more along the lines of the French 'doing a Switzerland' to stop UK travellers.

Gutted for those who've spend a fair old whack on travel plans. Hopefully travel companies and hotels will be sympathetic regarding refunds and/or credit notes.

Disgraceful from the French authorities to leave this so late. Not much the club can do about this unfortunately.

But I would imagine a complaint will be submitted to UEFA about this if it hasn't been done already I hope.

Lyon should be forced to forfeit the match and be fined to compensate Rangers supporters being put out of pocket because of an entirely preventable situation.

It will never happen though.
Unless I’m misunderstanding it, it’s being driven by the French Authorities, not Lyon.

uefa should be telling them they have no choice . Either away fans get in or game behind closed doors. This festival is a poor excuse it’s been planned for months just like cop26 was and that lots game got moved
Not really Lyon's fault if its the police / government telling them they can't do it.

A couple of seasons back Police Scotland limited away supports at European games. Rapid and Spartak had their allocations cut because of it.

uefa should be telling them they have no choice . Either away fans get in or game behind closed doors. This festival is a poor excuse it’s been planned for months just like cop26 was and that lots game got moved

Unfortunately UEFA’s authority is limited to football and doesn’t trump any government.

The French government have been acting like scumbags when engaging with any British organisation since brexit.

Unless I’m misunderstanding it, it’s being driven by the French Authorities, not Lyon.
Lyon should have liaised with them when the tie was made, as they would have known full well this festival would have had an impact, and if the authorities weren't capable of hosting both Lyon could have asked for it to be rescheduled.

Lyon the club are not blameless.

Back