Memories of football from years back

Bluenose_bear

Reading the grandstand thread got me thinking how much has changed going to matches as a young lad in 1993 up until now. I’m sure a lot of older bears will have far more memories than myself in the last 30 years but some of my favourite memories are:

1. My dad going to the football. He still watches every game on tv but hasn’t been since the advocaat era. Have managed to pick up spares for a few games through the years but he just doesn’t wanna go. Would love to get him back for a few games again!

2. The old days of a sash bash going on on the ferries after every home game. Used to be brilliant fun and atmosphere for a young lad. Wish it was still like that

3. The atmosphere. Not sure if it was because I was young the atmosphere felt alot better than it does now but I remember Ibrox used to be bouncing

I’m sure more memories will pop up later on in the thread but these are 3 that stand out so far

Players not rolling about like fannies.

The goal Arsenal scored against Man Utd last week just about sums the modern day footballer up. Goal conceded because somebody stood on the goalkeepers toe and he had to have a roll around leaving an empty net.

Grown men not getting upset about a rival fan calling him a naughty name also.

Miss paper copies of the fanzines.

Bizarrely miss the original super scoreboard theme tune - always listened to it driving over to the match and as a 8/9 year old, it was always a sign that we were going to the game.

Miss 3pm by and large being the focus of the weekend.

And, having been away for several years, miss making the game regularly.

Miss paper copies of the fanzines.

Bizarrely miss the original super scoreboard theme tune - always listened to it driving over to the match and as a 8/9 year old, it was always a sign that we were going to the game.

Miss 3pm by and large being the focus of the weekend.

And, having been away for several years, miss making the game regularly.

Used to always buy the fanzines outside the ground

When I was a kid standing with my older cousin at the main gates to get autographs while my da went off to the rolls Royce club

The boxes of "luncheon meat" rolls plumped on the ground in the passageways at the top of the terracings.
9 times out of 10 they were lying in a puddle of pish with the bottom of the boxes getting darker as the cardboard started sooking aforementioned pish upwards.
The life lesson learned was to never take a spam roll from "the dark side!"
;) :)

The wee guy with the wheelbarrow bring out the numbers for the half time scores. You had to get a programme to know what was game A, game B, etc.
There were wee slots on the terracing wall and he would put numbers in the slots to show the scores elsewhere.

If the tims were game B away from home, there was a wee moment of excitement if their opposition got a 1 and you hoped theirs was a 0.

The big miss for me is all games in the league on at the same time.(3 o’clock Saturday)
The auld centenary stand .

The boxes of "luncheon meat" rolls plumped on the ground in the passageways at the top of the terracings.
9 times out of 10 they were lying in a puddle of pish with the bottom of the boxes getting darker as the cardboard started sooking aforementioned pish upwards.
Easter Road was particularly bad for that! There was a big winding hill to go up to get to the terracing and folk would all have a pish at the back wall on the way up.
The wee guy with "the cheese or the meat" stood at the bottom of the hill, right in the path of the yellow river.

The old Rangers end at Hampden, many happy memories there
The good old black ash terracing.

I remember we scored 3 goals in about 20 minutes in a cup final replay against Dundee United, it was like the Black and White Minstrel show!

Football special trains, old carriages pulled by a steam engine, absolutely rammed going to Hampden/ Ibrox. No health n safety in those days.

15 year old me fancying the pants off the blonde girl who used to sell FF at Copland Road/Mafeking Street.

My mate bought one of those "meat rolls" on a football special train away to Aberdeen. The boggin' brown cardboard box held together by jaggy string which contained the rolls should have put him off, but it didn't. I've never seen anyone spew up as bad and as much as that in my life. Ha-ha-ha !

Easter Road was particularly bad for that! There was a big winding hill to go up to get to the terracing and folk would all have a pish at the back wall on the way up.
The wee guy with "the cheese or the meat" stood at the bottom of the hill, right in the path of the yellow river.
It was even worse at Parkhead!
In the "Rangers end" the pie stall was backed onto a wall that was directly underneath the top of the terracings and the pish was running down the walls meaning the pies were enveloped in a warm cloud of pish steam!
:eek:

It was even worse at Parkhead!
In the "Rangers end" the pie stall was backed onto a wall that was directly underneath the top of the terracings and the pish was running down the walls meaning the pies were enveloped in a warm cloud of pish steam!
:eek:
Posted on another thread about the roll on cheese I bought from said vendor though this was at Ibrox. After purchasing I noticed green mould on a corner of the cheese. Upon bringing this to his attention he piped up "cheese cannae go aff son, just break it aff, it'll no dae ye any herm " and then wandered off into the crowd :eek:
Needless to say I ignored his advice and tossed it :oops:

Getting away from the "pish" stories for a minute, how about me as a Bear Cub offering his services of carrying in a massive cargo to anyone if they gave me a lifty over the turnstiles?
I'm quite sure a good few of the older Bears have been there and dunnit!
:) :) :)

Posted on another thread about the roll on cheese I bought from said vendor though this was at Ibrox. After purchasing I noticed green mould on a corner of the cheese. Upon bringing this to his attention he piped up "cheese cannae go aff son, just break it aff, it'll no dae ye any herm " and then wandered off into the crowd :eek:
Needless to say I ignored his advice and tossed it :oops:
You should have bounced it off his napper :)

As someone who had to worship from afar until my late teens;

Getting the Rangers news delivered to the local newsagents
Billy Ocean kicking in as Mark Walters does a stepover
Being able to get decent football shirts from all sorts of clubs at the local market, as well as all kinds of other tat like my ‘Rangers are Magic’ mug
Wall to wall Rangers stuff for Christmas
Super Ally

Reguarly nipping onto the supporters bus unaccompanied from 8 years of age going to Dundee or elsewhere in Scotland after telling my folks I was going to the Saturday matinee to watch Zorro :eek: then returning home to find a search party out looking for me. There was no stopping me though, wee tearaway. Eventually graduated to the football special trains after the convenor on the supporters bus said he was getting into trouble for it:))

As someone who had to worship from afar until my late teens;

Getting the Rangers news delivered to the local newsagents
Billy Ocean kicking in as Mark Walters does a stepover
Being able to get decent football shirts from all sorts of clubs at the local market, as well as all kinds of other tat like my ‘Rangers are Magic’ mug
Wall to wall Rangers stuff for Christmas
Super Ally
Getting football strips at Ingliston Market beside Edinburgh Airport.

The Billy Ocean thing got me a few years back. I was at a training activity in an old role and it was taken by Bill McFarlan. When he spoke it took me back to watching my old 9inarow vids as a kid.

Other thing was watching Hillsborough unfold that day with my Papa watching Grandstand.

Off topic from Rangers but the FA cup games live on match of the day through 90s was essential in my house.

When teams used to care about it.

It would be like the Man Utd first team going to a Div 4 team and scraping a 1-0 win.

Now I couldn’t even tell you who won it last year.

The macaroon bars and ham rolls were the equivalent of Covid boosters, if you could eat one of them then you could face anything. Can’t imagine the hygiene was brilliant at the preparation stage and then those rolls in a cardboard box on the ground…..ffs.

My dads mate used to remove a part from the engine when he parked at Ibrox so the car couldn’t be stolen,

Standing outside the pub with a glass bottle of coke and a packet of vinegar or cheese and onion crisps. That would be a perverts dream now, 50 kids that could be enticed away for 20p and the dads probably wouldn’t have noticed until Sunday.

Back