Should Man Utd have stuck with Moyes?

100 percent stick, his numbers weren’t that bad in comparison to managers they’ve had since! His biggest mistake was signing the Belgian mop! Just need to look at the job he’s doing with West Ham to see what he’s capable of

In Man Utd's defence the next 5 years of Moyes career were utterly mediocre at best and dreadful at worst.

29 wins in 116 games at three different teams is hardly inspiring. He looked a busted flush before his second spell at West Ham.

Absolutely. Given the right backing and time he would have rebuilt them. He wasn’t given any of that. It was just cooler to slag him. They would be in better shape if he had longer.

He also has no interest managing in Scotland. Plenty of teams down south wiling to pay him a lot of money

No. Moyes is clearly a capable manager but I think a modern Utd need someone with more gravitas.
They’ve gave every manager with worse records longer than him due to their name.

He’s the most similar in style to Sir Alex and probably would’ve taken a few years to make his mark like he has in most of his jobs that he has been successful.

Obviously we’ll never know what the outcome would have been but imo they wouldn’t be in the state they are in now if with a team of expensive misfits who haven’t won anything of note for years.

I think most would look back and realise that he should have been given more time. I bet most Man U fans would have preferred him having another year or two to rebuild rather than the jumping from one mess to another. I think most expected too much after Sir Alex. If I remember rightly he didn't get that much back in his first window and spanked it on Fellani.

Yes, the sociopath that is Alex Ferguson wanted him as the manager, he wasn't ready, if they gave him longer he would have been a success.

Last edited:
His first season should have always been a total write-off just to let him settle in, work out what he needs and bed in his playing style without the pressure of being sacked. Then build on from there.

For the money Utd spend they should have the best managers and players in world football but they have neither.

They could easily have signed Van Dijk or Dias but they chose Maguire.

They could have had Kante and Pogba in midfield but they signed Fred, Matic and Ander Herrera.

Basket case of a club run for commercial gain rather than success.

I don't think he was the right guy but he wasn't backed the way others were.

The team needed serious investment but they dicked around and ended up Fellaini. Cost them 5 million more than it would have if they had signed him at the start of the window but he was their 4th or 5th choice.

Yes, the sociopath that is Alex Ferguson wanted him as the manager, he wasn't ready, if they give him longer he would have been a success.

Ferguson actually wanted Guardiola. He even went to New York to try and convince him to take the job.

It’s how the EPL works. Plenty of cash to throw around so can dump coaches at the drop of a hat without giving them time.
I think read somewhere that Tuchel is under pressure at Chelsea already.

The problem with Man Utd post-Ferguson hasn't really been entirely down to the managers. Ferguson was more than a manager, he was an exceptional figurehead which meant they neglected the other infrastructure support another manager would need around him in the modern era.

That tied in with the disastrous Ed Woodward replacing the much more football savvy David Gil means they've been ran more like a marketing brand than a proper football club. Aside from Solskjaer, the other managers they've employed aren't terrible managers but there's been no cohesive coordination or direction for the club.

However, I'm not sure Moyes would have ever worked out particularly great at Man Utd. He's a decent manager capable of overperforming with low expectation clubs. Him having Vidic and Ferdinand watching analysis videos of how Phil Jagielka defended showed how far out of his depth he was at the club.

Moyes certainly wasn’t given enough time but I never thought he was the man to replace Ferguson, who got out at the right time as the team was clearly in decline

I think most would look back and realise that he should have been given more time. I bet most Man U fans would have preferred him having another year or two to rebuild rather than the jumping from one mess to another. I think most expected too much after Sir Alex. If I remember rightly he didn't get that much back in his first window and spanked it on Fellani.

He spent £27.5m million on Fellaini and £37.1m million on Mata. Neither move made much sense and followed their trend for most of the past decade of filling their squad with midfielders who don't provide much balance.

Of course they should have he was a proven manager at Everton and they ditched him for a worse record manager at Man Utd in mourinho

He spent £27.5m million on Fellaini and £37.1m million on Mata. Neither move made much sense and followed their trend for most of the past decade of filling their squad with midfielders who don't provide much balance.

They also missed on Thiago because Moyes pulled out of the deal.

Ferguson had it lined up ready to go and Moyes said no.

Fergie left a sinking ship. Impossible job for any manager unless they had 5 years to build.

To go up against Conte, Pep, Tuchel and Klopp ?

Not sure.

They'd be looking at what he's doing with West Ham and claiming he'd be even better with a larger budget.

He got out of his depth with a larger budget when he took that job, but without that knowledge the media would definitely be shouting for him to take it.

I don't know who would actually be a good fit for them.

They'd be looking at what he's doing with West Ham and claiming he'd be even better with a larger budget.

He got out of his depth with a larger budget when he took that job, but without that knowledge the media would definitely be shouting for him to take it.

I don't know who would actually be a good fit for them.

All signs point to either Poch or ten Haag.

ten Haag I'd love to see in the EPL but fear he'd immediately be labelled as some sort of hipster idealist the first time he drops points because "he doesn't know our league"

In Man Utd's defence the next 5 years of Moyes career were utterly mediocre at best and dreadful at worst.

29 wins in 116 games at three different teams is hardly inspiring. He looked a busted flush before his second spell at West Ham.
Didn't he basically say his Sunderland team would get relegated after they'd played two games or something? At that stage he just looked like a dour, insipid has-been. Fair play to him on the West Ham success.

Reactions: SDF
Moyes was probably better off without United.

They have been an absolute shambles behind the scenes since Ferguson and Gill left.

They’ve had no suitable infrastructure whatsoever to match their stature and financial clout.

I'm torn, if they stuck with him then who knows how funny things could have gotten. On the other hand things have been pretty hilarious since they sacked him. Just think we might never have gotten Ole at the wheel. :))

All signs point to either Poch or ten Haag.

ten Haag I'd love to see in the EPL but fear he'd immediately be labelled as some sort of hipster idealist the first time he drops points because "he doesn't know our league"
Tbf, any Utd manager will be treated like this.
Thats why Poch will be good for the job in a weird way, he handled struggling with PSG's high expectations.
Regardless, I think they're in good hands with Ragnick being a consultant.

Read an interview with Rio Ferdinand once , he said moyes was still in underdog mode at Man U and all the team meetings were about stopping the opposition forgetting the players he had

Apart from the results, his style of football was the main problem, so yes he deserved to get sacked, who would have known Man U would still be searching for a decent manager after all these years

No they absolutely did the right thing in sacking him. His brand of football was awful and just resorted to crossing into the box in hope that Fellaini would be at the end of it.

His record after United was pretty dire too until now with West Ham. He is doing really well just now and deserves credit for reviving not only his career but also the club itself. Will be interesting to see how long he will be there and where he will go next.

Back