Big wes

Scottinho

As much as I like the big guy I genuinely believe he is not rangers class. Plucked from Swindon town (bloody swindon town) I add.
At best I'd have him as a #2
A club with a history and stature of ours deserves the best who has been or is plying there trade at the highest level either in the English premiership or across Europe.

What say ye.!!!

Needs a better defence infront of him to block the shots from coming in. Can't remember many goals he's conceded from distance and thought fs he should have saved that. If we pressed quicker and where harder in the tackle we wouldn't concede as many imo

As much as I like the big guy I genuinely believe he is not rangers class. Plucked from Swindon town (bloody swindon town) I add.
A club with a history and stature of ours deserves the best who has been or is plying there trade at the highest level either in the English premiership or across Europe.

What say ye.!!!
I've been a fan of him though starting to have doubts.

In saying that though what does it prove the fact he came from Swindon Town? Andy Goram came from hibs and that worked out ok.

What say ye.!!!

How many goalkeepers 'plying there trade at the highest level either in the English premiership or across Europe' are within our reach these days?

Once we have quicker centre backs we should push higher up and squeeze the game and not allow as many long shots.

i actually think he's a very good keeper, obviously not an all rounder as he has his obvious flaws, if you want an all round keeper good at shot stopping and commanding in the box then we need to be prepared to pay millions and 10s of thousands per week.

If you're basing your argument on where he came from, then have a look at where some of best goalkeepers in the past came from and you'll probably see they came from lower league teams also ..
He has his faults but I wouldn't swap him for another Scottish league keeper.

Big wes is easy to blane for some folk i think. But think of it this way how many more points would we have dropped if it hadnt been for some of his quality saves? as a previous poster stated the issue lies in our defence.

That being said id like to see him be a bit more commanding of his box.

What say ye.!!!

Not that I massively disagree with you, but where we signed him from his utterly irrelevant.

Like wes,works hard to stay at the top of his game,was let down by poor defending,and players backing off on Sunday.i.m.o.

This forum is like Groundhog Day!!

This subject got bisected and dissected to death post match on Sunday!! Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz!

Not to blame for any of those goals.
This is so wrong, opinions and all but you just knew he wasn’t saving Rogic’s shot and his positioning for Dembele’s goal was abysmal. It reminded me of when Greegsy stupidly rushed out of his box to win the ball from Samaras and we lost an easy goal because of it. Wes is a good keeper but not what’s required to take us to the next level, I’m praying Robbie McCrorie will turn out to be as good as his brother and become number one.

We're one more thread on this away from him being named Official Scapegoat™ for Sunday, I thought it was going to be Morelos as well.

What say ye.!!!

Where you sign a player from is irrelevant if he has the ability. And how are we going to fill any positions in our team with players that are considered 'the best'.

Unless you've noticed we play in a shithole of a league and can't remotely compete financially with teams from the big 5 leagues.

His only error on Sunday was being caught in no-mans land for the equaliser - however, a more talented defensive pairing in front of him would have dealt with the hopeful long ball with ease and he wouldn't have been asked to deliver in that instance.

He made a few good saves though, so I don't think you can point the finger at him for the result.

Where you sign a player from is irrelevant if he has the ability. And how are we going to fill any positions in our team with players that are considered 'the best'.

Unless you've noticed we play in a shithole of a league and can't remotely compete financially with teams from the big 5 leagues.
Our league is 100 times better than English L2

What say ye.!!!

How are we managing to get the GK's at the highest level? That's the stuff of fantasy.

I personally like Wes and think hes a solid enough GK but he has to improve on coming for crosses and the goals from outside the box ratio otherwise he will find himself being replaced over time.

He's made massive strides since being with us and is far better than he gets credit for but we need to see improvements on his weaknesses.

We've been spoiled with some great goalkeepers over the years, Wes is a decent keeper but he's not a great keeper.

He's beaten way too often from shots outside the box, be it positioning or slow feet - he's had the same problem the whole time we've had him.

Aye, because if we could get a Klos type, you really think we’d be going to Swindon instead?

It’s great to see is bucking the trend and picking people from Swindon and such like, creating value both on and off the pitch.

You’d have clowns in here bringing McGregor and Alexander back.

Wes is a talented, relatively young (in GK terms), developing player. He’s the type of player we want at our club.

Rogic’s goal - Goss/Docherty should have harpooned the mentally challenged in the middle of the park. Bates/Alves, then take an age to actually step out.

Dembele - we were opened up with a long ball. He maybe should have stayed on his line.

Eduardo - Cardoso/Tav inability to show a right footed lad down the line, rather than inside.

Not to blame for the goals directly I agree however just before they got the 2nd after we had been under the cosh for 10 mins we had a goal kick 1 min left in the half and a poor kick out (straight fot a throw) rustles in Celtic’s possession and ultimately the goal. I like big Wes and want him in the team just that moment has gone over in my head a few times.

For sure mate, a top level keeper “plying their trade in the English premiership” are lining up to play in the SPFL. Can’t understand how we’ve not signed one up yet.

Possibly a stealth should we sign AM thread?

Personally I think we need better than Wes but you can't knock the guy because he came from Swindon. A good player can come from any team.

Delle Alli at MK Dons, Vardy at Fleetwood, Mahrez at Le Havre just to name a few examples. If you're good enough, you're good enough.

He is better than McGregor was at the same age and will continue to improve.

Who are we replacing him with?

At the risk of sounding ignorant because i do not know much about the guys credentials should we not have a top class goalkeeping coach put in place as its Jim Stewarts son Collin in place at the moment and i am sure he was brought in not long ago for the young keepers.

He is better than McGregor was at the same age and will continue to improve.

Who are we replacing him with?

Not sure if serious. McGregor is a far superior keeper than Fod. Fods only real strength is shot stopping. If you look back all our goals we have conceded this season he is at fault for alot more than people realise. His positional sense is very poor. Beaten from outside the box regularly and flaps coming for cross balls.

With the team progressing the way it is we need a new GK. Simples.

He shat it for demebele’s goal imo. Whilst our CB’s never covered themselves in glory.... Wes got himself caught in nomans land because he seemed afraid to get hurt and pounce himself right on top of dembele. (Making it a “50:50” with him)

Hes an amazing shot stopper but the rest is terrible his positioning at times is absolutely terrible.

Time to improve yet on a positive note

You cant be serious mate, the 2nd goal was a shambles, fair enough the first one was a good hit but the 2nd was a mess and i think a good keeper keeps out the 3rd although Goss and Cardoso where more to blame.

Back