Big wes

What 'Rangers class' are you referring too?

The Rangers who won European glory, the Rangers who won 9 in a row, the Rangers who played in the bottom division?

We are where we are and Wes is about comparable to that position. Top flight teams attract top flight talent - we're getting there slowly but surely and I'd like to think with continued good coaching and a desire to improve the big man will continue to improve and contribute.

It's too easy to forget the good stuff he's produced in the past, including a couple of excellent saves on Sunday.

1st and 3rd are great finishes so can't blame him for that. 2nd he should have done better as he was in no man's land.

Where he comes from is completely irrelevant and a pointless arguement. Where was Windass playing and is now scoring goals for fun?

The OP needs a reality check. Where are we going to get the £10/15 million to sign this keeper? Jordan Pickford signed for Everton from Sunderland for £25 million and he was initially a squad keeper for Sunderland.

We can't continue to deal so badly with balls into the box, and unfortunately Wes is a big part of the problem. He never seems to know where he should be. Comes out and he flaps, stays on his line and he's beaten. I know the defence isn't helping him here but it's really no excuse. He's served us well from the championship but we should be looking to strengthen here if we can. Every successful team needs a strong spine that you can depend upon to do the basics very well. It's something we should've had by now.

I reckon Robbie McCrorie might be in Murty's thoughts for next season, should he be here.

The Board and Mark Allen have made a commitment to bringing through more youth players and Robbie is doing well at Berwick.

Reminds me of McGregor going to St J and Dunfermline before nailing the No1 jersey.

I reckon Robbie McCrorie might be in Murty's thoughts for next season, should he be here.

The Board and Mark Allen have made a commitment to bringing through more youth players and Robbie is doing well at Berwick.

Reminds me of McGregor going to St J and Dunfermline before nailing the No1 jersey.

God i hope neither of them are near the Rangers first team next year!

Only problem I have with him is when it's a set piece in the box he drops the ball a lot when going up to catch it or doesn't come out at all, don't know if it's a confidence thing or not.

You cant be serious mate, the 2nd goal was a shambles, fair enough the first one was a good hit but the 2nd was a mess and i think a good keeper keeps out the 3rd although Goss and Cardoso where more to blame.
No way could most keepers keep out the third, and he had a couple of excellent saves during the game.

What 'Rangers class' are you referring too?

The Rangers who won European glory, the Rangers who won 9 in a row, the Rangers who played in the bottom division?

We are where we are and Wes is about comparable to that position. Top flight teams attract top flight talent - we're getting there slowly but surely and I'd like to think with continued good coaching and a desire to improve the big man will continue to improve and contribute.

It's too easy to forget the good stuff he's produced in the past, including a couple of excellent saves on Sunday.
In the premiership alone #2 bench warmer goalkeeper who don' get a sniff
Kristoffer nordfeldt - Swansea
Boaz myhill - west Bromwich
Ron Robert zieler - licester
Pantillimon - Watford
Joel roberts- Everton
Michel vorm- spurs
Begovic- Chelsea

All I'd say better than fods.

Last edited:
As much as I like the big guy I genuinely believe he is not rangers class. Plucked from Swindon town (bloody swindon town) I add.
At best I'd have him as a #2
A club with a history and stature of ours deserves the best who has been or is plying there trade at the highest level either in the English premiership or across Europe.

What say ye.!!!

I'm not sure many of those at the highest level would have signed for us in the Scottish Championship. He's not Rangers class but you'd still have him as #2.

This OP sums up the rather limited thought among sections of the support.

Not sure if serious. McGregor is a far superior keeper than Fod. Fods only real strength is shot stopping. If you look back all our goals we have conceded this season he is at fault for alot more than people realise. His positional sense is very poor. Beaten from outside the box regularly and flaps coming for cross balls.

With the team progressing the way it is we need a new GK. Simples.

McGregor shipped as many goals at that age, if not more, than Wes.

Not to blame for any of those goals.
Apart from being 5 yards off his line and daydreaming for the first. If it was postage stamp it would not have mattered, but it went in a yard and a half off the deck. Then being 12 yards off his line in no-man's land doing star jumps for the 2nd. You either come out for the ball or stay and see who wins the tussle with Cardoso.

Maybe it was Dembele's birthday and Wes was feeling benevolent?

maybe if the attack, midfield & defence had closed down the yahoos on sunday - they might not have gotten the shots away

A goalkeeper needs to be able to rely on his defence so he knows when to come out and when to stay. If the defence is pish or not communicating with him, he's going to get more shots at him.

Gutted we lost Martin for the game. He's not an amazing player, but he's constantly communicating with the players, experienced, and solid enough to do the job.

We had an off day for sure, but I think if Martin had been playing we might just have prevented one or two going in.

Hindsight 20/20 of course.

Mika- Sunderland
David marshall- hull
Pantillimon - Watford
Joel roberts- Everton
Michel vorm- spurs
Begovic- Chelsea

I don't know if you are serious. Some of these keepers are no longer at their clubs, more than one of them were third choice before being punted.

Begovic is first choice at Bournemouth.

Mika was a terrible keeper.

Robles was dropped for making a howler.

How many of these keepers have you seen or are you just looking at FIFA 16?

He's made top saves in every old firm game hes played in, score would've been worse if it wasn't for him

Mika- Sunderland
David marshall- hull
Pantillimon - Watford
Joel roberts- Everton
Michel vorm- spurs
Begovic- Chelsea

Sunderland and Hill are in the championship

I don't know what he was thinking at that second goal, flapped at cross balls as well.

He's too meek for me. I prefer a mad bastard between the sticks who leads with his knee.

As much as I like the big guy I genuinely believe he is not rangers class. Plucked from Swindon town (bloody swindon town) I add.
A club with a history and stature of ours deserves the best who has been or is plying there trade at the highest level either in the English premiership or across Europe.

What say ye.!!!
You going to foot the bill for someone like de gea.

Honestly some fans still think we’re going through the 9 in a row

What say ye.!!!
Not good enough to be a league winning Rangers keeper. Fine for the build up to the challenge but need better if we want to win the league

Not as bad as some make him out to be. Weak at long shots on the ground. Name me a goalkeeper who hasn't got a weakness.
Don't think that it's as simple as that. Some of the shots have been very good and most keeps wouldn't save them. I honestly cant remember thinking 'how did you not save that.' A big problem is that players are getting the time to pick were they want to put it. Our defence should be closing down quicker and in some instances our midfield should be tighter

Aye, because if we could get a Klos type, you really think we’d be going to Swindon instead?

It’s great to see is bucking the trend and picking people from Swindon and such like, creating value both on and off the pitch.

You’d have clowns in here bringing McGregor and Alexander back.

Wes is a talented, relatively young (in GK terms), developing player. He’s the type of player we want at our club.

Rogic’s goal - Goss/Docherty should have harpooned the mentally challenged in the middle of the park. Bates/Alves, then take an age to actually step out.

Dembele - we were opened up with a long ball. He maybe should have stayed on his line.

Eduardo - Cardoso/Tav inability to show a right footed lad down the line, rather than inside.

This in a nutshell.

Although I’d add for the Dembele goal: Cardosos inability to defend goalside and subsequent complete lack of strength to hold off Dembele, didn’t leave Wes much of a choice.

He’s won us a hell of a lot more points than he has cost us.

I can’t really think of many examples of when he alone has cost us any points tbh.

I must admit, I`ve never been quite sold on Foderingham, despite some of the super saves he has pulled off. He loses too many goals from distance for my liking and I think his decision making in pressure situations is often suspect. That said, I really haven`t seen enough of Alnwick to say whether or not he would be a better option. I think we need a better `keeper than we`ve got, but I`m sorry, I don`t know who that would be.

Was surprised he didn’t save the first and third as usually pretty good dealing with those kind of shots. Heart still in mouth during corners though.

I like Wes but I thought he was shaky on Sunday.
He’s young for a GK and still learning.
It’s about time we brought in a proper GK coach which will help him improve.

Name a keeper we could afford that is a better shot stopper, better with the ball at his feet. Obviously wes could be more commanding at crosses and deal better with long range shots. But to buy keeper that is better than him in all these departments I believe would be well out of our budget

Name a keeper we could afford that is a better shot stopper, better with the ball at his feet. Obviously wes could be more commanding at crosses and deal better with long range shots. But to buy keeper that is better than him in all these departments I believe would be well out of our budget

Totally agree with this.

Last week we had a thread touting him for England caps.

He is a decent keeper, our priorities are the defence in front of him. Only a few days ago there was a thread on here suggesting an England call up for the guy and that is just as daft as those saying he isn’t good enough for Rangers

It's time to put big jak in and let's see if he's any good or not, Wes is going backwards at the moment, the dembele goal is just bizarre, total misjudgment and very poor

What say ye.!!!
We all want the “best”. We won’t get it simple as that. You want Murty to ring up De Gea and ask if he fancy’s playing for Rangers on £25k at best a week. We’ve been very lucky in the past with great keepers Klose ect.

Develops good players into better players. Enjoy thier service to the club couple of seasons hopefully they get few winner medals. Then sell on for a handsome profit and repeat process

A bit of perspective

David De Gea has just made a howler to ultimately put Man Ure out of Europe.
Do you think their fans will call for his head?

Back