The Derry/ Centenary Stand

Basically I agree, but the cover at the Copland Road end was erected, I believe, in 1966.
Yes that is mid 60s. I remember being in the Derry when we lost 4-0 to Celtic in a Glasgow Cup tie in August 66, it was only under construction at that game but hadn’t been completed.

No, The Derry was the corner of what is now the SJ Stand. The singing started from there a bit like the UB now.
Agree the Derry was the covered terracing which was the now SJ stand. When it rained, everybody tried to squeeze in there, as the Copeland wasn't covered at that time. That is where all the singing was started.

First time at Ibrox, had just turned 15, me & mate got train from Dundee to see the Rangers
v Hibs, 1-1, Scottish Cup 1973. Got off at Ibrox, couldn't believe the size of the crowds, were told
gates had shut, thousands trying to get in, about 20 of us doubled back took the railway line that
ran behind the Shed, climbed up the embankment ( where the away support area is now ) half of us
made it up a drainpipe, must have been a good 25 ft climb, luckily the ground side was half the jump. Managed to fight our way into the crowd, think around 65,000 at the match, great times and memories.
Amazing. I too travelled through by train (the 10:53) from Dundee that day (but hitchhiked through to the replay at Easter Road) but recall one of the worst ever refereeing decisions I had ever seen that day.

Picture the scene (my view was from the Copland Road end, the new home of The Derry) Rangers are 1-0 up shooting towards the Broomloan Road end. Tommy McLean gets put through, rounds the keeper, and has an open goal facing him. Their keeper (McArthur) pushes him in the back, and he goes down. PENALTY!

Actually, a penalty would have been more difficult to score from than the chance he had.

Incredibly, the ref, the notorious R H Davidson from Airdrie, denies the penalty, and shortly afterwards, Hibs equalise. Game finishes 1-1.

Last edited:
Was in Centenary Stand v them in late 70's no segregation just a no man's land of empty seat between the fans.
Soon bottles were flying between the two sets of fans.

Speaking as one who stood in it and frequently went on The Mermaid bus with guys actually in the Brigton Derry, the Derry at Ibrox was what is now the Sandy Jardine Stand. Mainly from the half way line to the Rangers end (Copland Road End nowadays). The Rangers End didn’t get that pathetic cover which didn’t cover the entire end (far from it) until mid to late 60s. So all the singing was done in the covered terracing opposite the Stand, now known as the Main Stand. The Broomloan Road End was always referred to as The Celtic end and the Copland Road End was always referred to as The Rangers end. Anyone around who is in their mid 60s or older will back me up on this.
There's a whole thread to be discussed on the wherewithal of that inadequate cover.
:))

eZMjI47.jpg

I used to watch from the goal Rangers were shooting into, so you could walk from the Rangers end to the Celtic end in those days.

If memory serves me - I think you paid into the Rangers End and then walked around and there was a gate at the back/top of the Stand and you paid a £1 to transfer in.
Never used the Centenary stand, but remember there was a turnstile at the back corner. At the other side you could pay into the terracing (either end) and pay for a transfer to the enclosure and another one for the Main Stand. I think there was only a Boys Gate for the terracing as that was what I had to do to get into the Enclosure to meet my dad. Never made it as far as the main stand.

No mate the first game after reconstruction was the New Year match versus them on January 73 a 2-1 victory for us when Parlane scored rebound from missed penalty and Alfie Conn scored a last minute winner. I think match you are referring to was Aug/Sept 1975 the day we hoisted the league flag.
Sorry, I meant league reconstruction not the centenary stand.

Aye my Dad said that in his day the Derry was mainly the upper right corner of what is now the Govan (if looking from the Main Stand) and it was generally where all the bams congregated for a sing song. He said he used to make a point of going up there for big games like European matches.

Also said now and again during quiet moments of lesser games you sometimes got bams from rival areas of Glasgow kicking off :))

Never used the Centenary stand, but remember there was a turnstile at the back corner. At the other side you could pay into the terracing (either end) and pay for a transfer to the enclosure and another one for the Main Stand. I think there was only a Boys Gate for the terracing as that was what I had to do to get into the Enclosure to meet my dad. Never made it as far as the main stand.
I got a lift over into the main stand a few times. Are you sure you could pay in from the Rangers end, as you had the gap between terrace and stand? I definitely know it could be done from the Celtic end.

I remember a game around Christmas time when the Club gave out free tickets for the Centenary stand. It was busy for the first half, but at half time the Derry regulars assembled in their usual spot for a second half sash bash.
I came on to post this

It was Baltic iirc and we moved back to the Derry and lit the Evening Citizens to keep warm

As a 73 yesr old I am loving this thread. I still call them the Rangers end and the Celtc end and for good measure it's the big enclosure at Hampden not the bloody North Enclosure.
I have great memories of the Derry/Shed/Centenary Stand, including my mate splitting his head open on one of the support beams when we scored against Bayern in 72. We used to stand right at the back and him being 6 foot odd it was likely to happen one day. No ambulance men were called just a hanky stuck on his head in an attempt to stop the bleeding and we continued watching the game. Ah we were tough and staunch back then.

On a slightly more painful note the turnstiles used to take your ankles off on the way in to the centenary stand.
Always remember sitting in there with a large Cargo in a game v the sheep.

Reactions: SSR
When I was young, it was referred to as the Derry shed, not the Derry end. It was the old Centenary stand, I used to sit up the back on the rafters. Last time I was in it was the disaster game, God Bless them

When I was young, it was referred to as the Derry shed, not the Derry end. It was the old Centenary stand, I used to sit up the back on the rafters. Last time I was in it was the disaster game, God Bless them
The rafters were a great place for youngsters who were too wee to go in the Derry.

The Derry Shed was the terracing across from the Main Stand, the Rangers End was behind the goal.

My only disappointment when we beat Bayern at Ibrox 72 was that the Rangers End, where I was, were singing different songs from the Derry!

Once the Derry became the Centenary Stand, the bambottery moved behind the goal. There used to be the occasional fight that would break out and fans not involved would back away leaving the gap in the crowd. After a couple of minutes as things calmed down, there was always one drunk fan who'd wander into the centre of the space singing The Sash/Billy Boys and within seconds, peace, brotherhood and harmony would be restored.

For the sheer awesomeness of the Rangers End, the first goal in the Old Firm game in January 75 shows it all.
Great old days!

Happy Days!

I think I’ve been in amongst some decent celebrations as a 28 year old but a viewing of the first goal you mention on YouTube is an insight into the kind of crowd I don’t think I’ll ever get to experience. Great footage of it.

Anazing. I too travelled through by train (the 10:53) from Dundee that day (but hitchhiked through to the replay at Easter Road) but recall one of the worst ever refereeing decisions I had ever seen that day.

Picture the scene (my view was from the Copland Road end, the new home of The Derry) Rangers are 1-0 up shooting towards the Broomloan Road end. Tommy McLean gets put through, rounds the keeper, and has an open goal facing him. Their keeper (McArthur) pushes him in the back, and he goes down. PENALTY!

Actually, a penalty would have been more difficult to score from than the chance he had.

Incredibly, the ref, the notorious R H Davidson from Airdrie, denies the penalty, and shortly afterwards, Hibs equalise. Game finishes 1-1.
Great stuff Bearsden, to be honest by the time we finished the assault course to get in DJ had already scored, rest of the game is hazy in the memory banks. What I do remember is the clip around the lug from the old dear when I got home to Dundee, it was a belter, the old man just
shook his head, they got to know because I cried into my uncles house which was in Harley St,
( 2 streets behind the Copland end ) the reason for that was when we jumped from the wall to
get in the old stay press trousers burst the seams from knee to knee when landing so after the
game got my aunty to run up a stich, they obviously phoned up Dundee to let them know.
Needless to say that was me banned from Ibrox till I was 16. Happy days.

Speaking as one who stood in it and frequently went on The Mermaid bus with guys actually in the Brigton Derry, the Derry at Ibrox was what is now the Sandy Jardine Stand. Mainly from the half way line to the Rangers end (Copland Road End nowadays). The Rangers End didn’t get that pathetic cover which didn’t cover the entire end (far from it) until mid to late 60s. So all the singing was done in the covered terracing opposite the Stand, now known as the Main Stand. The Broomloan Road End was always referred to as The Celtic end and the Copland Road End was always referred to as The Rangers end. Anyone around who is in their mid 60s or older will back me up on this.
Basically what my dad (mid 60s) also said

If I remember correctly, you paid your gate money and to gain access to the ground, then another 20p to gain access to the Centenary stand

They certainly used to sing what we know as the Billy Boys and the last line was 'for we are the Dundee Derry Boys'
They still sing that, and they call The Derry the covered bench seating opposite the main stand at Dens. They also sing the “Derry Rumba”

Been going to Ibrox since 1950s. First time I heard reference to Derry stand was on here recently. Widely known, just a few who called it this or wind up ?

100% correct auld yin loyal

Yeah, I know - that is where is was - then as things developed and it got seated the whole area behind the goal became known as The Derry End.
Never heard it called that. After the mistake of the Cemetary stand the singing of 'we are the Derry Boys' faded that had been heard more at games than BB in my youth.

Never heard it called that. After the mistake of the Cemetary stand the singing of 'we are the Derry Boys' faded that had been heard more at games than BB in my youth.
Everyone I knew called it the Derry End. Never noticed any lack of singing about the Derry Boys in the Rangers End.

From the 78-79 season i started going home and away every week and we always sat in the Centenary stand.
@Sancus i was also at that Scottish Cup game against Hearts when the fighting broke out in the West Enclosure.
Saw the trouble in the Enclosure from the Centenary Stand
There was a group of Jambos in the Centenary Stand that day. After Hearts scored the bottles and cans rained down on them. They were led to safety by the stewards.
Think we went on to win 6 - 1

They still sing that, and they call The Derry the covered bench seating opposite the main stand at Dens. They also sing the “Derry Rumba”
Now they can call their club the Dundee ferry. Carried Celtic to a league title. Sold their soul to the devil.

The only time I ever saw trouble inside the ground was in the Centenary Stand at a game against Hearts. Suddenly a huge gap appeared between the two sets of fans and bottles started flying. Never saw anyone get hurt but the rivalry with Hearts felt like two sets of folk who didn't want to agree they had anything in common as opposed to the hatred each had for the green side of town. Unlike the sheer animosity I have for all opposition fans now.

The Derry Shed was the terracing across from the Main Stand, the Rangers End was behind the goal.

My only disappointment when we beat Bayern at Ibrox 72 was that the Rangers End, where I was, were singing different songs from the Derry!

Once the Derry became the Centenary Stand, the bambottery moved behind the goal. There used to be the occasional fight that would break out and fans not involved would back away leaving the gap in the crowd. After a couple of minutes as things calmed down, there was always one drunk fan who'd wander into the centre of the space singing The Sash/Billy Boys and within seconds, peace, brotherhood and harmony would be restored.

For the sheer awesomeness of the Rangers End, the first goal in the Old Firm game in January 75 shows it all.
Great old days!

Happy Days!
Exactly as I remember it too.

My first venture into the Centenary Stand was on one Baltic wintry day in about 1974/75 when for a bit of warmth, some bampot set fire to the snack hut (**) at the back of the Rangers end (now Copland Stand) and a gas bottle exploded.

Everyone fled towards the Centenary Stand for which the gates were opened for free access.

(**) Maybe it was an accident, but I prefer the bampot angle :))

My first venture into the Centenary Stand was on one Baltic wintry day in about 1974/75 when for a bit of warmth, some bampot set fire to the snack hut (**) at the back of the Rangers end (now Copland Stand) and a gas bottle exploded.

Everyone fled towards the Centenary Stand for which the gates were opened for free access.

The gas canister incident was against Motherwell around April 1974.
A lot of people thought it might have been an IRA bomb at the time.

Remember this well , first time I was in the centenary stand. We all thought it was a bomb at first and jumped over the wall onto the track and into the stand .

The Derry to my recollection was where the govan is today and before it was seated and became the centenary stand.
I remember as a youngster sitting up on the metal frame at the back above the bogs.

You are correct. The Derry was where the Govan Stand is now. It became the Centenary Stand and the fans who gathered in the Derry to sing moved behind the goal where the Copland Road Stand is but it wasnt known as the Derry after tbey moved.

You are correct. The Derry was where the Govan Stand is now. It became the Centenary Stand and the fans who gathered in the Derry to sing moved behind the goal where the Copland Road Stand is but it wasnt known as the Derry after tbey moved.
That singing, fighting and bottle-throwing section under the roof at the back of the Rangers end was certainly known to me and my mates as the Derry!

Back