Indulge me Bears

NYC Davie

Just turned 70. Listening to punk on Now 70s and singing along. Got me thinking about the best and worst experiences I’ve had with Rangers.

I‘ve posted on other threads that my first game was losing three-zip to Ayr in 1959. Some start! But worst ever was the Piggery 4-2 game.

Best? Too many to mention. Hundreds.. But as a wee taster Bayern 72, Juventus 78, Gascoigne v Sheep. McCoist and Hateley v Leeds
Thoughts?

If you’re meaning attended, domestically.

Best:
02/03 title win, Helicopter Sunday 05, Rugby park. Rugby park was good as I could actually drink

Worst:
Space of ten days, I’m sure 4-0 Hampden and 5-0 Piggary. Honestly left both those games thinking it could be whatever in a row they wanted & 5-1 Ibrox

Worst was probably the hone play off game v Motherwell, probably the lowest I got in terms of hope and belief we’d get back to where we belonged.

Best is tougher as there’s been so much joy, but for games attended probably beating that lot 3-2 when they could have won the league. Even at our lowest ebb we still put them in their place, and the atmosphere was electric that day. Great goal from wee Sone as well.

Edit that’s for games attended, lots of different ones for watched on TV!

Just turned 70. Listening to punk on Now 70s and singing along. Got me thinking about the best and worst experiences I’ve had with Rangers.

I‘ve posted on other threads that my first game was losing three-zip to Ayr in 1959. Some start! But worst ever was the Piggery 4-2 game.

Best? Too many to mention. Hundreds.. But as a wee taster Bayern 72, Juventus 78, Gascoigne v Sheep. McCoist and Hateley v Leeds
Thoughts?
Old c.nt B-)

Best experience Winning the League in 1975 at Easter Road
Worst 2nd January 1971
Oh Southfork, what can I say? Easter Road was the scene of the biggest away support in the history of Scottish football.
And as you say, the Disaster was the worst thing that ever happened to our generation. I was lucky enough to have been a working class student at the time, so i was at a party in Dundee when the news came through. But the Denny bus always went to Srairway 13.

Take care son

Best experience 3-2 cup final 2002
Worst probably beat 5-1 at home against them I honestly thought things were never goin to change which makes it all the more remarkable how we have got ourself into the position we are now

Best . Helicopter Sunday , didn't really think it was going to be possible before kick off if I'm honest

Worst Manchester in 08 , great day down there ,fabulous journey to the final ,but felt we just didn't really turn up and give it a go

I’ve been watching the Rangers for almost 60 years now.
My greatest memories of games I was at are as follows
Bayern semi 1972
Tam Forsyth cup final 1973
Easter Road 1975
Treble cup final 1976
Treble cup final 1978
Drybrough cup final 1979
Leeds at Ibrox 1992
Parma at Ibrox 1999.

So many great memories for me but the best has to be going to Barcelona in 1972 to see us winning the ECWC - absolutely fantastic experience for my £35 + drinking money :)
I know of some fans, including my best mate, who didn’t go to Barcelona because we’d had such a poor season domestically. As Barcelona was our third Euro Final in around 12 years perhaps they thought another Final wasn’t too far away!
However by the time we got to Manchester in 2008 that best mate of mine had sadly passed away.

Games I’ve been to:
Best 6-1 game v Dunfermline 2003
Worst leaving Parkhead at half time 3-0 down when the scum win the league. The bus was parked miles away but we kept hearing cheers and thought by the time we got back to the bus it would be about 10-0. Horrible week as we got scudded in the Scottish Cup semi 4-0 the week before.

Games I haven’t attended:
Rangers weren’t actually playing but March 7 2021 will live with me until the day I die and is the greatest achievement I’ve ever experienced following us.
Worst losing 4-0 to Hibs on 27th December 2014. Spivs in control of my club, Kenny McDowall in charge and didn’t want to be there and felt like no hope and we’d never be in this place again.

I think if I could change one thing about my club and the 35 years of supporting us it would have to be the moment David Murray handed the club to Craig Whyte. Will never forgive Murray for that!

So many great memories for me but the best has to be going to Barcelona in 1972 to see us winning the ECWC - absolutely fantastic experience for my £35 + drinking money :)
I know of some fans, including my best mate, who didn’t go to Barcelona because we’d had such a poor season domestically. As Barcelona was our third Euro Final in around 12 years perhaps they thought another Final wasn’t too far away!
However by the time we got to Manchester in 2008 that best mate of mine had sadly passed away.

Incredible to imagine that statistic nowadays

3 European finals in 12 years

Amazing

You

Thoughts?
You’ll remember though the time in the sixties we beat THEM 4-2 at the Piggery with Willie Johston scoring a couple.

Thoughts?
Yahoos missed a penalty that night too - Dixie Deans I think - while we marched on :))

Good times.

Best for me was either the Lovenkrands cup final or winning the league at Rugby Park.

Worst was either 5-1 at home to the mhanks or getting a shoeing at home to the mighty Unirea.

Bayern at home in 72, big Jaws howitzer in 73, Bobby Russell in Eindhoven (my first Euro trip), but the noise when big Helander hit the winner for the last fhilth game will live with me forever.

Best: UEFA cup semi away. Never thought I’d see Rangers in a European final. Sheep cup final at the piggery. One of those rare times in life where you know what you’re achieving is special. It was living history. Cup semi win at hampden on penalties was amazing as well. Last season’s league win. Monumental.

Worst: 5-1 at Ibrox v them. The only positive was that it could have been double figures. We’ve come a long, long way since then.

Best which I attended;
Barcelona 1972
Dunfermline at Ibrox 2003
Easter rd 2005

Worst 5-0 defeat at the piggery, 3 down at half time and it could have been doubl that.
Scottish cup final against the spoon burners.

1st game v Hearts LC final replay 1961 won 3-1
Latest - Helander winner v scum this season

Best - Barca 1972
Worst - New Year 1971

Thoughts?
I like the fact your listening to punk.
SLF March 17th barras if interested.

Low point for me probably lasted a full year and a bit - from losing that challenge cup final to Raith in April 2014, then right through that fucking abomination of a season in the Championship until Warburton arrived. That period just felt like a never-ending storm of utter shite on and off the park.

Loads of highs, but if I had to pick one to live through again it would be Helicopter Sunday. Seeing my first kid being born is the only feeling I've ever had that beats the rush of emotion and euphoria I felt when that McDonald goal happened.

As ridiculous as this may sound, the lowest I’ve probably felt as a rangers fan was after the 2019 league cup final where we absolutely battered them, and still lost.

It was probably amplified by being at the game though, and being in full party mode the days leading up to it.

As ridiculous as this may sound, the lowest I’ve probably felt as a rangers fan was after the 2019 league cup final where we absolutely battered them, and still lost.

It was probably amplified by being at the game though, and being in full party mode the days leading up to it.
I agree with that. I was gutted after that. Gut wrenching feeling for days afterwards, knowing that we ripped them to shreds but we just didn’t get that goal that would have opened the floodgates, and they end up winning it with an offside goal.

The atmosphere was sensational, it felt like we were on the verge of a great win, then to have it ripped away like that was just the worst feeling.

Best experience Winning the League in 1975 at Easter Road
Worst 2nd January 1971
Bang on with both Southfork. I was at Easter Road. Biggest away support Scottish football had ever seen. I missed the 71 game, was at a party. We always went to Stairway 13 to come out as well.

worst CSKA Moscow at Ibrox, we done everything that night but score. We got so close.

Best - probably the Lovenkrands cup final, it was the last game i attended with both my dad and uncle together, both still alive but my uncle's health stopped him going to any more games after this.

Loads of highs, too many to mention. Manchester, Cup Finals, League wins. Since 2002, I’ve pretty much been at them all.

Worst feeling was leaving the Ramsdens Cup Final at Easter Road. Sitting watching us lose whilst having utter contempt for my childhood hero standing in the dugout.

So many great memories- Lovenkrands final, Helcopter Sunday, Rugby Park league win etc
Worst? Their have been a few but this 2 are probably the worst - 2019 final where we dominated and lost to an offside goal. Absolutely gutted leaving that game.
Worse though was the Scottish cup semi- final -2016/7 against the Tim’s. Lost 4-0 going on 10. Leaving I really thought we would never really compete with them again.

Games I’ve been to:
Worst leaving Parkhead at half time 3-0 down when the scum win the league. The bus was parked miles away but we kept hearing cheers and thought by the time we got back to the bus it would be about 10-0. Horrible week as we got scudded in the Scottish Cup semi 4-0 the week before.

Rangers weren’t actually playing but March 7 2021 will live with me until the day I die and is the greatest achievement I’ve ever experienced following us.
Worst losing 4-0 to Hibs on 27th December 2014. Spivs in control of my club, Kenny McDowall in charge and didn’t want to be there and felt like no hope and we’d never be in this place again.

I think if I could change one thing about my club and the 35 years of supporting us it would have to be the moment David Murray handed the club to Craig Whyte. Will never forgive Murray for that!

There are many, many of US who will never forgive that fuuker Minty for his actions in 2012.

Best, 1970 League Cup Final Derek Johnstone, to end those barren four and a half years, and give us some renewed hope.
Worst, less than a year later that renewed hope was obliterated, when we lost 3 times in 4 weeks to the filth. all at Ibrox.

I know there has been better and worse days, but that is what sprung to mind for me.

If you’re meaning attended, domestically.

Best:
02/03 title win, Helicopter Sunday 05, Rugby park. Rugby park was good as I could actually drink

Worst:
Space of ten days, I’m sure 4-0 Hampden and 5-0 Piggary. Honestly left both those games thinking it could be whatever in a row they wanted & 5-1 Ibrox
I was at all of those games you mention plus the game where Garner scored at the San giro. Just horrific.

Best - 2-2 game with the Gough toe poke. Was in back row of Copland that day and the place just exploded.

Worst - Manchester. Just beyond gutted about not winning. Haven’t watched 1 second of it back and prob never will.

Thoughts?
Not far behind you in the age stakes. Lots of great memories, 55 being the best.

It was probably amplified by being at the game though, and being in full party mode the days leading up to it
Can you be more specific?
Rump it up Davie boy , bask in the brilliance of the famous RFC .
We’ve exchanged many FF messages in the past Erskine. You‘re a fine man. Take care old pal.

Not far behind you in the age stakes. Lots of great memories, 55 being the best.
Wonderful Murray! Christ it really gets right up them, doesn’t it? Free rein for ten years and all they talk about is meaningless trebles. Terry Munro was all they really cared about and we rode them!

Games I’ve been to:

Great post Thor

Some of the defeats under McCoist in our season in 12/13. Stirling Albion, Annan and Peterhead, ffs....Most of their players were plumbers, gardeners and Amazon delivery drivers for crying out loud...I thought that we were in a right f#cking mess and would we ever get out of it...

Back