Rangers FC today delighted to announce the signing of John Souttar on a pre-contract agreement from Heart of Midlothian

Good signing. We now have a game of poker with Hearts for the next 2 weeks, but I expect him to be at Ibrox by the end of it.

He seems to be more right sided, does that mean he replaces CG?
I reckon so. I think we'll also sign Doekhi for that position. In the (unlikely) event that Goldson stays on, then we may well make Souttar or Doekhi available for transfer for a quick profit.

Goldson Helander Doekhi and Souttar would be the dream. 60 games a season there’s no reason not to have 4 good CB, but agree Goldson will be away.
It is, but the challenge is trying to give 4 quality CB's enough game time to keep them all happy.
Might we see a back 3 at times in the near future?

It’s terrific business and without doubt fell into the ‘no-brainier’ category.

When I have watched him the main attribute that has stood out is his ability to read the game. Clearly a player with intelligence and I think Gio will really appreciate this aspect of his game.

He’s very un-Scottish in the way he defends. Likes to assess his angles of approach to his opponent, has impeccable balance in challenges and looks to play out.

It’s now down to him to break into a Rangers team with good centre backs, hungry for their spot.

If he can handle the expectation then I believe his ability will do the talking.

One thing I've thought about is that he wont be a Gio target but I reckon the analyst Gio brought in has been asked to look at him along with Gio and his staff going through the videos of his games.
Analysis from from staff already here will have been taken into account.
The medical would have been thorough also focussing on the scans of his previous injuries.
The evidence that he has recovered from them is clear from his recent stats and form.

Well Liewell did exactly that and they couldn't get back on their knees quick enough a few weeks ago.

They can get fùcked with any of their moralistic, sanctimonious bollocks.
This signing has upset their timmy plaything fans more than being relegated to appease the filth.

Says it all about their support.
With an obvious exception for @JamboReid1874
The tinpot mentality is out for all to see today. Lack of ambition to go to either of the OF/he’s a selfish rat/too many Hun sympathisers at the club/Halliday must go… it would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

John, welcome to Scotland's Premier Club.

gn14.png

The tinpot mentality is out for all to see today. Lack of ambition to go to either of the OF/he’s a selfish rat/too many Hun sympathisers at the club/Halliday must go… it would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.
I genuinely wouldn't mind it, if the same logic was applied to the paedos.

I shared a drink with an Aberdeen fan a few years back who said to me
"I'll always hate Rangers, that goes with the territory. I can't understand the young team though who don't hate a terrorist paedophile ring more"

I'll never understand it myself.

I genuinely wouldn't mind it, if the same logic was applied to the paedos.

I shared a drink with an Aberdeen fan a few years back who said to me
"I'll always hate Rangers, that goes with the territory. I can't understand the young team though who don't hate a terrorist paedophile ring more"

I'll never understand it myself.
Yeah I really don’t get that either. In all fairness our younger fans seem to know the script a bit better but the mindset is generally all wrong

Also just have to say I back Souttar 100% (if fingers crossed he stays fit) to be a big player for Rangers. He’s physical, commanding, and he’s got quality on the ball. Being in a squad where the personal standards of the players are so high is going to mean his occasional brain farts will disappear, and then you’ve got yourself an asset.

Can see it happening it on deadline day.

Hearts will be bastards to deal with that's guaranteed.
To be fair they should try. I think he will stay until the end of the season.
Also just have to say I back Souttar 100% (if fingers crossed he stays fit) to be a big player for Rangers. He’s physical, commanding, and he’s got quality on the ball. Being in a squad where the personal standards of the players are so high is going to mean his occasional brain farts will disappear, and then you’ve got yourself an asset.
There isn't a centre half who doesn't have brain farts. We all expect perfection but these guys have off days the same as we do. The best just have less of them.

To be fair they should try. I think he will stay until the end of the season.

There isn't a centre half who doesn't have brain farts. We all expect perfection but these guys have off days the same as we do. The best just have less of them.
Central defender and keeper errors stand out more, you get away with it more as a midfielder or forward.

The reasons for Heart's annoyance with the Ranger's statement are obvious and natural.

By making the deal public, we have put Hearts in a lose-lose situation. Sensible tactic from us.

Hearts either piss off their fans by selling him now on the cheap, risking competitiveness, or piss off their fans by playing him and the fans' response discouraging Souttar from putting the effort in: risking their competitiveness.

They will have to sell now. Their fans won't accept him on the pitch again.

Give them nothing. 12 weeks and he’s free.

Happy to wait unless Goldson goes or Helander/Balogun aren’t fit yet.

What will we do with Helander then? We still need a left sided defender I reckon, Simpson will leave this window
Agree, it will be Helander plus one from above. There will need to be a degree of flexibility, which i think we have when you add Sands, Bassey, King & Mayo to the mix.
As mentioned elsewhere, it wouldn't surprise me to see us go with a back 3 sometimes. Gio and his coaching staff seem to be more open to formation tweaks than Gerrard's was. Time will tell.

The cynic in me say that the Souttar deal to join now is already agreed, but part of the deal is that it he does not join until the 27th of January. Bit of shouting back and forth to fill the time.......

Would we come to a deal to allow Hearts to retain him till after they play them on the 26th, so giving Hearts the best chance to take points? I would hope we would, we know another team would.

Agree, it will be Helander plus one from above. There will need to be a degree of flexibility, which i think we have when you add Sands, Bassey, King & Mayo to the mix.
As mentioned elsewhere, it wouldn't surprise me to see us go with a back 3 sometimes. Gio and his coaching staff seem to be more open to formation tweaks than Gerrard's was. Time will tell.
I think you’re right that we could go 3 at the back sometimes

Great signing. Would be good to get him on board this month but depends on Hearts demands.

I'm happy with this signing. It's a fairly safe signing that ticks many boxes. Good age, no (or very small) transfer fee, won't command massive wages, one of the better players in our league, suits our style of play, and qualifies as home grown for European selection.

His injury history is the only negative, and if we trust the medical examination and consider all the positives above then it's an absolute no brainer.

Let's hope he takes his game to the next level and becomes a mainstay.

The reasons for Heart's annoyance with the Ranger's statement are obvious and natural.

By making the deal public, we have put Hearts in a lose-lose situation. Sensible tactic from us.

Hearts either piss off their fans by selling him now on the cheap, risking competitiveness, or piss off their fans by playing him and the fans' response discouraging Souttar from putting the effort in: risking their competitiveness.

They will have to sell now. Their fans won't accept him on the pitch again.
Yeah agree you have to interpret it as us and the player moving the discussions on a phase because we haven’t reached agreement . Also the player does owe them somewhat given his injury periods and for that I can see Hearts and there fans feel disappointments .

Of course it’s professional sport and both the player and our club are doing what’s best for themselves which is the same ‘principle’ we heard recently on the proroguing of the league against our and Ross County’s wishes .

Interesting that both Souttar & Doekhi both currently play in 3s, so we can’t rule that thinking out.
Do you see Goldson or Helander in a three ? Have to say I do not G . Perhaps Balogun n Bassey ?

Personally I don’t think we are moving to a back three there’s no particular evidence GvB is a follower of it . In fact it’s the opposite .

Last edited:
Do you see Goldson or Helander in a three ? Have to say I do not G . Perhaps Balogun n Bassey ?

Personally I don’t think we are moving to a back three there’s no particular evidence GvB is a follower if it . In fact it’s the opposite .

I don’t think so either, it’s just a noticeable point on both of them D.

I’d suggest that Balogun will go D, so Bassey is the more obvious one of those two. Of course, Big Fil is the other option looking forward. Our best out & out defender, if he can stay fit of course.

John’s younger brother Harry is some size as well.
Interesting that Harry has been capped by Australia.
At 23 Harry has time to develop, would be an interesting pairing if we signed Harry in the future

Back