Gio's tactics

3 weeks working with the team and that was the result, certainly a concern and we need to get 1 or 2 players in this window. This season is absolutely massive and we need to back the manager financially or miss out on the pot of gold the CL qualification brings.

Unfortunately I've heard from a few solid Bears that he's a goner. Hopefully a load of shite. Not good if true.

I’m genuinely concerned about that performance. Maybe I am being over dramatic but we have been off for 3 weeks, surely the players should have been absolutely champing at the bit to come out the traps flying and be on the front foot tonight? We looked slow and sloppy, how many balls did we needlessly give away?

We were on the back foot the majority of the match and didn’t ever look like threatening their goal. I was expecting us to be right on it tonight with some good football and to be tactically astute. Instead we were lumping the ball and relying on Kent and Wright to get the ball and do something.

The lack of urgency from players was the real worry..could see them getting back in game from a long way out. Wright should have been hooked earlier for Sakala and we should have tried to push them futher back in there half when they had possession it was far to easy for them to get to 35/40 yards out. One of them games hopefully in a shite hole city. We still 4 clear.

Horrific, for the first time I don’t blame the players. I’m not sure how they overcame gios tactics to even get a draw from that. We literally had one midfielder in Kamara on the pitch, sands I’ve no idea what the %^*& he is and having isn’t a midfielder. We then not only gave the ball up the players when in possession didn’t have a clue what to do.

zero movement, no triangles, no stretching, no control. Not a fucking clue.

we played like st Johnstone and more worryingly less organised.

Over the top mate

We are missing out on the best of Tav and Borna by constantly holding them back. Yes, it needs to be controlled but come on, let's attack the opposition

Do what we done with Sasa and Hutton, Sasa stayed back and we had a back three at times.

Go out and press their defence, they will make mistakes.

Don't think our midfield options are best suited to playing as part of a two. Kamara, Sands, Lundstram, Davis and Jack are all better suited to playing deeper and that leaves Arfield as the best choice to play alongside any one of them. Midfield to attack we lack players who can play that killer ball regularly. That and a right wing should be our priority if we are looking to bring anyone in.

I worry our group of "nice" Dutch guys aren't aware of what's going to hit them in the coming weeks. Those c***s run the game here, there's too much money at stake and we are going to get made to bend over and get shafted

Last edited:
We had Aribo/Arfield/Davis out no wonder the midfield was poor.
Aribo was a big miss obviously but unless Jack is ready to come back we need to invest in that area.

I love Davis but not sure he can perform week in/week out at his age.

Tonight was deeply concerning.

His tactics to try and defend a 1-0 lead at 60 min mark with the Lundstrum sub was the biggest worry for me. Our midfield display lacked any fight or creativity.

We had two wingers yet put nothing towards them and when did there was no support from the full backs.

Morelos ran everywhere but got no service.

3 weeks training to improve and we looked a lot worse than we did before Gerrard left.

Sands did okay that is it, okay.

Why was Hagi kept on as long as he was. He was invisible bar his goal.

We need to reinvest the Paterson money on a creative midfielder or another pacey winger who has goals.

3 weeks training with the team and his only tactic is to sit off teams and fire balls up the channels for Kent and Wright? How can he have us playing like that.

Barely in the game at all today.
Four first choice midfielders missing

Keeping the zero is a minimum but not at the expense of putting the ball in the onion bag at the other end. Gave too much respect to the sheep. They are not the team he remembers from his last time here. Needs to learn fast.

I doubt the manager instructed the players to underhit and scuff passes and basically turn the game into a throw in contest.

It's a player's game and we were generally awful.

What was the gameplan? I couldn't tell you as we kept giving the ball away.

Frustrated at how poor we’ve looked for the majority of our away games against tougher sides (Hearts, Hibs and tonight).

And when we went to 10 we looked done. What you can say about Beale is he was good at organising the side when we went to 10 and would still stretch the game and look dangerous.

Gio employed the same tactics in Holland, defensively minded. Should not come as a surprise, but he has to learn that we can't be sitting in trying to defend a one goal lead against dross like the sheep.

Tactics were shocking and his subs were honking

There was no tactics, at half time I’m thinking we have got away with one here, 1 nil up and didn’t think we could play any worse.

GvB’s use of subs has been shocking since he came in yet we have folk on here claiming the 5 sub rule would suit us better than anyone. yet he always wants to keep 1 or 2 up his sleeve.

Just listening to GvB interview now, he is happy with a point !

some people really expect us to play silky football every single game.

one misplaced pass and I bet they are raging instantly and for the rest of the game.
The ones complaining will be the ones that blasted Gerrard for playing keep ball and failing to break teams down and then suggesting he sits in a bit and let's the opposing team have the ball to make them come out a bit.

We all care, but the over reaction on this thread and no doubt many others in the next day or so. Really is over the top.

We have no right to play well every game we have no right to win every game. We had a lot of players not available tonight, we had a referee who broke up play at every opportunity he could.

It was a poor performance, but lets try and keep a bit of perspective here. We have lost one league game in the last 61.

Back