Gio's tactics

Trust the process. The team is adapting to a new system. It doesn’t happen overnight.

A counter attacking strategy would suit us to prevent being squeezed by teams who park the bus.

Give it time.
They never parked the bus. They drove it right up our arse.

We had Arfield,Aribo,Davis and Jack missing from midfield tonight- use your brain for god sake
Aribo and Jack were big misses obviously but Arfield isn't particularly good on the ball and Davis isn't getting any younger.

We need a midfielder who can carry the ball and give Kamara someone to play off and see us control possession again.

Aberdeen are utter muck.

Vital midfielders missing but how many chances does Wright need? Playing against Hayes and Hayes walks away with M.O.M!!!... we are severely lacking in midfield without Aribo, Davis and Arfield..... Kamara wasn't as commanding and we sat far too deep, but is that a Gio thing? As we were guilty of that under Gerrard... and to end...Broon refereed that game tonight not that clown Clancy.

Minus that penalty we were solid defensively tbh. Can remember them hitting the post but can’t think of a save McGregor made…

Saying that we were also crap going forward. Still 4 clear at the end of the day

He had no tactics tonight, he picked 11 players and they went out and played a match

Seen it 1st half with Morelos pressing while Hagi, Kent & Wright were all standing about, it was like they weren't on the same page

Subs were bizarre, Lundstram for Wright made absolutely no sense and actually put us 5/10 yards further back as we had no out ball, Sakala should've been on earlier

He deserves praise since he's been here, navigated a very tough schedule and has been great but tonight he got it very wrong & was lucky to get out with a point

I'm concerned. Worrying subs. Poor simple tactics. I expected much more.

I fear for us against the rhats. Before anyone says there sh1te ...so are Aberdeen.
The yahoos are not as bad as many make out - these posters are trying to convince themselves they are.

Anyone feeling confident going to the piggery is deluded.

And someone will say they have the worst defenders in history shipping countless goals this season.
Wise up, if we sit back they will run riot. Hey Gio, in case you haven't figured it out, sitting deep and hoping for a counter attack just invites problems.

Can only hope Nigeria are bounced next match.

We all care, but the over reaction on this thread and no doubt many others in the next day or so. Really is over the top.

We have no right to play well every game we have no right to win every game. We had a lot of players not available tonight, we had a referee who broke up play at every opportunity he could.

It was a poor performance, but lets try and keep a bit of perspective here. We have lost one league game in the last 61.
It’s hardly an over the top reaction, we played the exact same way against Hibs, Hearts and now Aberdeen and we were very lucky to come away with 2 wins against the first two.

I think folk are allowed to raise concern on the way Gio sets up tactically, I’m not overly convinced on it and after watching their game against Hibs last night, if we go with the same approach there it’s going to be a long evening.

3 weeks training with the team and his only tactic is to sit off teams and fire balls up the channels for Kent and Wright? How can he have us playing like that.

Barely in the game at all today.
So poor, we looked like conceding a chance or at least corner every time they fired the ball into the box.

We've got to learn from tonight we were far too negative but got to remember how limited our options were, especially in midfield.

Huge call throwing Sands in and Wright over Sakala was wrong for me also.

The lundstram sub is fine if you’re 2 up in the 75/80 minute but making that sub at the 60th minute was terrible decision making and far too conservative.

Felt like we started off wrong as well, our whole set up didn’t take into account the opposition. Playing a sitting two with hagi in front up against a midfield three was always going to be dominated. And as much as it’s nice to keep clean sheets it would be nice if we could let the shackles of tav once in a while who is our best creative player.

Our midfielders are lightweight and slow with no attacking purpose. It needs to change and it has been that way for years now

The midfield was overrun - there was nothing tactical about it.

They pressed us higher and higher up the pitch and we ended up just knocking the ball long missing our midfield out most of the time.

That midfield is miles off what we need moving forward and you can only hope we add a few new faces before the window closes.

Tonight was amateur hour from our Management Team, Midfield to front 3 was all wrong and the subs were shocking. We were tactically naive it was shocking.

Still confident for the old firm but we really can’t overthink it and play like we did today.

We are going to get two weeks of them get praised to the hilt and us getting reminded of our collapse in January/Feb 2020. We will be going into the Lions den like never before, every tackle penalised, I wish I had your confidence

Off the top of my head, we are missing Helander, Jack, Davis, Arfield, Balogun, Roofe plus Aribo, from what I've read all of the above should be back in the short term, but we need everyone available and firing urgently, plus one statement signing I think, to really kick on.

Not ideal having to throw Sands straight into the mix for a fixture like this, nor using Lundstram when we probably wouldn't usually. We are also quite fortunate that Bassey has filled in so admirably at centre half for a while now.

Need to get back to civilisation and move on quickly from this with as many available for the count in the coming weeks...

Keeping the zero is a minimum but not at the expense of putting the ball in the onion bag at the other end. Gave too much respect to the sheep. They are not the team he remembers from his last time here. Needs to learn fast.
Listening to him before /after the game he seemed happy/resigned to a point. As you say he seems to think they are the Aberdeen from his playing years. Gave them too much respect.

We are going to get two weeks of them get praised to the hilt and us getting reminded of our collapse in January/Feb 2020. We will be going into the Lions den like never before, every dive penalised, I wish I had your confidence
If we attack them and play the way we can they’ll absolutely crumble

If we lose Aribo in this window we will really struggle to win the league.
We lose Aribo, it's done imo. He's absolutely our game changer. We sorely missed him tonight. However, the way the rest of them played he might not have made any difference to the scoreline.

Was strange having Sands start. Wonder if it means Lundstram could be for the off.

Gerrard signed Davis shoehorned him straight into the team the first game back after the winter break , we lost our momentum and folded in the league.

GvB fcucked it up tonight, he watched an anonymous midfield for 45 minutes and persisted with it, brought Lundstram on and we had 3 players all trying to play the one position.

Absolute shambles

It should have been Sakala for Wright, Lundstram for Sands get Kamara up the park out the road of the defence.

The one thing we have become used too is dominating the ball
Tonight we chose to not even have a midfiled in the middle of the park
We had a defense & we had an attack
No middle area to the team
Absolute madness
Simply, why????????
Because we have four of our starting midfielders unavailable and we maybe didn’t have any other choice?

We played far too deep throughout the entire game and the longer the game went on the deeper we fell back.

Tactically tonight it was a bad day at the office.

why did we not press up on their defence because just like ours they panic under pressure ?We let them walk out and passs it through our midfield who all stand in a line . not picking up anyone and making no attempt to tackle , we made them look good

Lundstram has done nothing to suggest he would have done any better.
He's got experience in the SPL and the EPL.

Sands' is wet behind the ears and should have made the bench at best.

Kamara offered nothing either.

That said, they collectively looked off the pace and dare I say it, a little unfit.

We were fairly solid defensively & lost the goal on a freak penalty
But, we chose to give up the midfield area of the park & that is what cost us
The tactic we chose tonight was wrong for me
By giving up the midfield we chose to allow them to control / dominate the game but it also allowed Clancy to have an impact upon the game asper players were mainly involved in try to stop attacks rather than dominating the ball which allowed Clancy to penalise challenges etc
I know we were missing players who would have played centrally but we then chose to just concede that entire area of the pitch (the middle / central) and as a result playing out from the back was near impossible & therefore nullified both Tav & Barisic
It was complete madness & something that needs to never be repeated
Whilst I'd say we tried similar at Easter Road & Tynecastle to an extent we still had players in that area of the park but not tonight there was simply nobody playing centre midfield as both Kamara & Sands played as part of the defence

The only thing I can think of is that GvB thinks we gave up too many chances in those games
But for me we need a more balanced approach as whilst a freak penalty cost us we can't be playing as negatively as that ever again especially against SPFL opposition

why did we not press up on their defence because just like ours they panic under pressure ?We let them walk out and passs it through our midfield who all stand in a line . not picking up anyone and making no attempt to tackle , we made them look good

A central defence of McCrorie & Bates and we never put any pressure on them whatsoever.

The Lundstram for Wright sub was pathetic in all honesty, should of been Sakala.
Should've also taken Kent off. Both on a yellow, ref clearly desperate to give us as many yellows as possible with Brown diving all over the place to con the ref. Sakala and Itten off for Wright and Kent at the same time. Give them something to think about and get a goal while they're still adjusting.

It’s hardly an over the top reaction, we played the exact same way against Hibs, Hearts and now Aberdeen and we were very lucky to come away with 2 wins against the first two.

I think folk are allowed to raise concern on the way Gio sets up tactically, I’m not overly convinced on it and after watching their game against Hibs last night, if we go with the same approach there it’s going to be a long evening.
I think it's fair and indeed right to criticize the performance tonight. We were poor there is no argument.

However it is the first time that we have dropped points in the league under the new manager. And as I tried to explain, there were circumstances outwith the managers control ( players not available, referee, and an opposition who were quite happy to cheat knowing that the referee would break up play )

The game against them will take care of itself as these games always do. I Saw most of the game last night also, and I wasn't that impressed to be honest. They have one half of football in them, and that is the same as it's been all season.

I think it's fair and indeed right to criticize the performance tonight. We were poor there is no argument.

However it is the first time that we have dropped points in the league under the new manager. And as I tried to explain, there were circumstances outwith the managers control ( players not available, referee, and an opposition who were quite happy to cheat knowing that the referee would break up play )

The game against them will take care of itself as these games always do. I Saw most of the game last night also, and I wasn't that impressed to be honest. They have one half of football in them, and that is the same as it's been all season.
Tend to agree with you that they tend to start games extremely fast and take the game right to the opponent, something that we struggle with.

Given Hearts and Aberdeen done it with a lower quality of player and probably should have both scored in games against us in the first 5/10 mins, we would be punished against Celtic if it was the same.

One things for sure,soon as lundstram is on the pitch we play worse! Get him to %^*& away.

Back