James Sands

Anonymous, did he complete a pass all night, him and Kamara put in the worst midfield performance I’ve seen for years.

He completed multiple passes that quickly turned defence into attack. He was unspectacular, but your criticism is completely unfounded.

Saying it’s the worst performance you’ve seen in years, when Lundstram has played 20 times worse in games this season, is beyond comprehension.

Hard game to be thrown into but he looks much similar to what we have on initial impressions I'd rather Kelly , Bacuna or McCann was given the chance to stake a claim but it's early days hopefully he settles in and shows us that he has more in his locker

Few stats from a tweet

James Sands played 90 minutes in his Rangers debut. Aberdeen hit back to earn a 1-1 draw. Sands won 7/14 duels, made 1 interception, won 2/5 aerials, and made 1 tackle. Also completed 84% of his passes. Didn't look out of place at all.
Is one tackle for a defensive midfielder good?

Game was probably twice as fast as the MLS, he’s only 21 but thought he looked okay, will just take a few games to get used to the pace of the game here. Didn’t help with Hagi being too far away from him and Kamara so struggled to control the midfield. Worst team performance this season.

Because he is used to slow paced games, it was obvious he struggled with the pace which everyone could have predicted. Gio should have known this would have been the case
We will agree to disagree then. I'm a great believer in a baptism of fire. Any player is never going to understand what it takes to be a Ranger playing a St Mirren or Livi. Tonight's type of fixture was perfect but admittedly he struggled 2nd half.

Thought he done ok, I don’t see anything from him and lundstrum that would say Kelly would not be have been a better option.

Tough match to make his debut in but he was OK. Must have impressed in training in his short time with us.

Kamara was absolutely dreadful tonight and hardly helped Sands, he had some really nice passes 1st half but certainly won't be judging him on that game.

I'm sure plenty of crackpots will though.

Tbh I thought Kamara was miles worse than him, one of his worst games. Just didn’t get his foot on the ball and control the game once through the whole 90.

Got to agree with you, Kamara was the one I was looking to before the game but severely disappointed in his performance.
Glen wasn't great tonight. Sands looked composed first half. Passing was good. Second half we eat in inviting them. Almost worked if not for stupid penalty. Tough night but the point might be valuable in May. Doesn't feel like it now

I thought he was anonymous but so were a number of players. I'm more thinking do we really need 2 holding midfielders? Maybe in Europe but not in the league

Game was probably twice as fast as the MLS, he’s only 21 but thought he looked okay, will just take a few games to get used to the pace of the game here. Didn’t help with Hagi being too far away from him and Kamara so struggled to control the midfield. Worst team performance this season.
Agree with that. Cup semi runs tonight pretty close for worst team performance though.

I don’t think he played badly but it wasn’t the best game for a start so early into his Rangers career. Unfortunately we don’t have many options though.

Not the worst player on the pitch and broke up their play a few times. Not his fault we played a defensive midfield with no playmaker.

Anonymous, did he complete a pass all night, him and Kamara put in the worst midfield performance I’ve seen for years.
You saw us at Dundee Utd then?
Thought he did ok. Issue is with Hagi who can’t pass the ball more than 3 yards with any accuracy. Supply to front three was poor and we needed to get the ball behind that abject Aberdeen defense

I thought that collectively the midfield unit was poor. In terms of Sands. I'd have picked him also to start as I wouldn't have picked any of the others options.
The only way I would describe Sands performance was that he neither impressed nor gave me the boak in what he done. He got a game and we now need to wait till is next game to see if we see something there.

He was okay in the first half I thought, passing was fine and won a fair few duels. Second half completely passed him by, as it did for most of the team. Worst game kamara has had all season as well didn't exactly help.

Think he'll be fine, looks neat and tidy but no real evidence of him contributing much in the final third so purely a holding dm / defensive acquisition.

To be fair, as his first experience of the standard of Scottish refereeing, he must have been wondering what the fk was going on in that second half.

He was thrown into a game he probably shouldn't have been asked to start in.

I thought he was OK at times and looks to have a bit about him but it's the kind of signing you would expect from say Hearts or Hibs.

Far too early to judge him but at least he will know what the Scottish game is all about now.

Hate it when people think that (new) players should not start away to Aberdeen or bloody Hibs. Like its something special and a manager should wait for a home game against Ross County. "Its a tough place for a debut". F*ck Aberdeen.

Few stats from a tweet

James Sands played 90 minutes in his Rangers debut. Aberdeen hit back to earn a 1-1 draw. Sands won 7/14 duels, made 1 interception, won 2/5 aerials, and made 1 tackle. Also completed 84% of his passes. Didn't look out of place at all.

I tackle, 1 interception, and lost more duels + aerials than won. It’s honking for a DM.

Felt he did reasonably well without the ball, and at times his distribution was sound.

But really also think as an option and making hinself available for thr ball he could have done way more. Didn't help at all that Hagi and Kamara weren't exactly doing loads to make us look dangerous centrally.

FFS give the lad some time. Had a decent debut. Will get better. He wasn’t the issue there were others that let the team down Kamara was awful as was Hagi, as was Wright as was Tav to name a few.

The other option was Lundstram, who barely completed a pass or made a successful tackle when he came on.

We had no option.
That's absolute bollocks. The first pass to Lundstram when he came on was a poor one, which he managed to sort out, otherwise they were in on goal. In that second half, tell me; who did complete a pass or make a successful tackle? Am not JL biggest fan, but FFS, stop gratuitously picking on the guy!!

Kent should have plated Central and sakala should have been out wide. It wasn't the game for lundstram or sands
This is the change Gio should have made at half time. At 0-1, Aberdeen were always going to pour forward leaving gaps at the back. In hindsight we should never have played to defend the lead and should have brought Kent in centrally, brought on Sakala for Wright and aimed to just bypass the midfield and look to play over the defence for Sakala to get in behind and Kent to pounce on the second phase of play.

He played because Afrield, Aribo and Davis was out. Who else would we have played? Lundstrum? F*cking hell, definitely not.

Back