Now that dust has settled on Tuesdays result

Not happy with the performance at all.

But given the run of games we've had since Gio came in we've had a good return points wise.

I also believe if we had Aribo, Arfield, Davis fit on Tuesday it would have made all the difference.

There's a long way to go and I'd have taken our point lead plus upcoming fixtures if offered at the start of the season.

From before the winter break, I can only see Arfield, Aribo and Davis missing. Davis didn’t feature in the 3 games prior to the break due to Covid so that brings us down to 2.

Helander etc are all long term injuries.

Our 11 was more than capable of beating a sheep team consisting of washed up Brown, Bates and McCrorie deemed not good enough for us countless years ago, guys like Jonny Hayes

It was a shocking night at the office for us and a night our management team got the tactics and gameplan spectacularly wrong
Yes but the game plan should have been changed by adapting to combat the way the game was going given Aberdeens approach!

It was a dreadful performance and we dropped points. It happens, and most of us accept that. But a sizeable minority on here absolutely relish spending the next few days criticising, moaning, crywanking and being downright snide about players and managers. It happens every single time. Happened after all the draws we had last season.

Tuesday is gone and the main focus now is getting 6 points from our next 2 games before the piggery.

We've done remarkably well to cope with the transition of a new manager and backroom staff. We didn't play well the other night at one of our toughest away grounds.

We got a point, move on and meet the challenge ahead.

Definitely a poor effort but like you say 7 wins and one away draw from 8 is not exactly a disaster, especially when we're 4 points clear at the top. It was only a few matches ago they drew against the St Mirren u16s, now that's a shocker.
Its possible to be not happy with the performance but not be in panic mode - I'm sure we'll pick up. If we struggle in the next few then I'll start to panic.

Posts above saying we are a shambles are a shambles. Lost 1 game in 60. Bad day at the office and a referee verging on calamity or something more sinister. Pressure on them and they know it.
The only shambles was the referee,he must waken up pretty smug the morning after. I thought we were okay first half,our defence was solid and largely untroubled,yes gutted we dropped points but there's no alarm bells ringing yet.

Well said. We have an easier run in leading up to the split as well. We will be further ahead than 4 points come mid April.
Yes but I was told on here that all other teams lie down when they play them.

One loonie has already conceded the Hearts match as they won't try.

And yet out of the blue they failed against St.Mirren who were given the proverbial no chance.

Obviously not a shambles, but I don't think it's hysterical to say we need more pace from the midfield. I would go as far as to say we have a lot of slow players and it's an area that could be addressed.

Hopefully that's a calm enough response.

I’d say pace & strength.

Hopefully a cross between Joe & Arfield.

You would think we always play poorly. We'll be back, and Clancy the cheat won't be the referee.
I accept playing poorly can happen at any time Coop but we should have adapted to combat against the way they were playing so for me regardless of match officials influence and there was a lot of that, we should have changed formation and tactics during this or any other game I suppose imo!

The only shambles was the referee,he must waken up pretty smug the morning after. I thought we were okay first half,our defence was solid and largely untroubled,yes gutted we dropped points but there's no alarm bells ringing yet.
The perspective is that they didn't have a shot on target bar the penalty. Our shambolic team brought out a decent save from Lewis, a Tav shot blocked (Wright's lay off was poor) and Goldson stretched and missed a tap in when Bassey was free behind him. I've watched the whole game again just to see how badly shambolic we were and the problem was that the front players didn't keep the ball and bring the midfield into the game plus Bassey gave the ball away 18 times which didn't allow us to build.

My biggest annoyance wasn’t that we dropped points, it’s that in 90 mins of football we barely strung two passes together or created anything.

Dust has settled but we were still a shambles

That is my big concern. At his Monday press conference Gio said it had been great to finally have time with the players on the training pitch, everyone was really looking forward to Tuesday's game.

Well if that shambles was the result of two weeks on the training pitch we have every reason to be concerned. After Celtic reduced our lead on Monday night we should have come firing out of the traps. Instead we put in an insipid performance, most definitely not one from a side looking to remain 6 pts ahead.

I personally do not like Gio's idea of "hitting on the break" when playing away from home.

Hibs away was a dire match, on the night two dreadful teams doing everything but play football and only a needlessly conceded penalty late on won us the points.

Started strongly against Livi, scoring two early goals but rather than go for a third and kill the game our intensity dropped and carelessness allowed Livi a goal. Minutes later only a magnificent save from Shagger stopped a certain equaliser. We'd only breath comfortable when we scored a third 10 minutes from the end.

At Tynecastle only a fantastic Shagger save (if a Hearts fan a bad miss) from Boyce prevented Hearts taking a 4th minute lead. We then scored two fantastic goals in a blistering 4 minute spell. Despite than being the end of the scoring both sides missed numerous chances. It was anything but a comfortable victory. We were impressive on the break but Hearts really missed chance after chance, only some pretty poor finishing along with excellent goalkeeping saw us "keep the zero".

Sometimes it is not about the performance, getting the three points is all that matters. I was ecstatic at full time whistle at Easter Rd but that doesn't take away my concern that we were abysmal and only the stupidness of a Hibs player allowed us to leave with three points.

As you can see I'm a pessimist, a glass half empty bear. IMHO a bounce here or there in each of our away games under Gio could have seen them finish differently. Fair too say from my point of view they have all been far from comfortable viewing.

I wish Gio would just say, %^*& it we are Rangers, and go out and attack from the first minute until the last.We are, after all, supposed to have best squad in the country, surely no need to play cautiously.

It was a poor performance looked kinda rusty as before the momentum was with us but hopefully that has blown the cobwebs away and move on, my only concern is how many stupid yellow cards are we going to pick up that leads to suspensions because other night was shocking we miss kent for next league game when none of them were bookings, and if you look at the booking was all key players which was a coincidence
Clancy, job done ..Cnut.

We played poorly but still came away with a point on one of our most difficult fixtures.
We will have more off days this season so will the Tim’s - it’s about getting as many points as we can when playing well or having a poor game
PS Clancy is still a cheating cxxt

We were garbage in the second half and I'm definitely not in the "we'll take it" camp.

...but we're not a shambles by any stretch, it was one bad game and 7 wins, 1 draw, 1 goal conceded from open play is excellent.

Defending at set pieces was a mess on Tuesday, lost almost every one including the free header that led to the penalty, need to sort this out.

We were dreadful, it was a cup final to them and they couldn't score from open play. That was our 2nd hardest away fixture and its out the way now.

We're currently missing the best player in Scotland right now and still without our best defending defender in Helander.

Sands didn't seem fazed at all either.

A fresh injection of talent would do the squad and fans alot of good.

Its only a worry if Gio doesnt learn from it. By half time t was clear that the front three were not forcing them back and we were outnumbered in the midfield.

I think Gio should have packed the midfield at half time and run them over there knowing we still had sakala and Itten on the bench if we needed to change it again

My take is that if Gio thinks a draw against a poor Aberdeen side is okay then he is in for a ride awakening.

We didn’t play well on Tuesday, whilst not happy at a draw we’ll take it under the circumstances – Clancy etc.

But let’s have a bit of perspective.

League results since Gio has taken over from 28th Nov.

Played 8 , won 7 drawn 1.

Goals for 15 against 2( only 1 from open play)

Who on here wouldn’t have taken this after the League cup debacle against Hibs?

The scum have the more difficult away fixtures to come, both us and them will drop points before the end of the season.

We will prevail, 56 will come to us, we have the best squad in the league.

Patience bears.
They have a tougher February after the game with us with a few tricky away games. Win against them and I think we will be comfortable.

We are stinking on Tuesday and still got a point at one of our most difficult fixtures.

22 points from the last league 8 games….get 22 from the next 8 and the league is done!!

I am a glass half full type of guy!
It would have been really interesting to have seen the outcome of the game against the sheep if it had been played on the originally scheduled date. Reckon we would have won it convincingly with a full squad. These winter breaks as a default really need to be scrapped. They serve no purpose at all, unless there's bad weather. We all know why this year's break was brought forward, but they should be scrapped altogether.

Of course it wouldn't have seemed so bad if Gerrard hadn't led us to so many dropped points this season. However, we weren't unlucky or off the boil a bit, we were bang average and that is not good enough for Rangers.

Yes but the game plan should have been changed by adapting to combat the way the game was going given Aberdeens approach!
Sometimes games just pass you by. And nothing can get you going as individuals or as a team. That was us the other night.
As long as it doesn’t happen more than a couple of times in a season it’s understandable and no great concern. And…we didn’t get beat

Sometimes games just pass you by. And nothing can get you going as individuals or as a team. That was us the other night.
As long as it doesn’t happen more than a couple of times in a season it’s understandable and no great concern. And…we didn’t get beat
Your missing it Nb and you are right with that view too! Mines is we all could see the way the game was going especially just after the break and should have took action to break up their play, close them down quicker and push farther up field!

We allowed them to come at us when we know 1 goal up can be a precarious position at the best of times and brought on a defensive midfielder taking a forward off with more than 30 mins to go?

I thought Sakala should have been on for Wright and we should have adapted to combat where the opponents were being successful?

We didn’t play well on Tuesday, whilst not happy at a draw we’ll take it under the circumstances – Clancy etc.

The scum have the more difficult away fixtures to come, both us and them will drop points before the end of the season.

Patience bears.
We are not good enough without our key players.

Clancy's performance has made me genuinely worried about the push for the title. I honestly don't think we'll get decisions our way in tight games. Celtic will and you will probably see it next week v Hearts. Everything seems to be done in their favour

We were too light in midfield. Didn’t have the personnel on the pitch to take the fight to them, which is what was badly needed on the night. Fact is there wasn’t much that could be done about that due to the players we had missing from our squad. The likes of Arfield would have made a big difference.

On to the next one.

In my lifetime of watching Rangers - early1970's to date - Pittodrie has NEVER been an easy game.

On Tuesday, Aberdeen fought and pressed and CHEATED and never even managed a serious shot at goal beyond the super-soft penalty.

It's a cauldron of hate - like the Piggery - where we are always apt to get unjust red cards (I've lost count now) and anything we get from there is a bonus.

I said before the game that i hoped we didnt revert back to the Gerrard post break sluggishness and thought a 2-1 win would still be doable. Nothing i saw in that game fills me with any confidence that we wont continue in the next game.

Players need to waken up and get back to the pre-break destruction of teams.

My biggest annoyance wasn’t that we dropped points, it’s that in 90 mins of football we barely strung two passes together or created anything.
Same for me, it was the quality and manner of the performance that I didn't like, rather than drawing at Pittodrie. Depending on context, getting a point up there isn't always a bad result.

Can you be happy with the fact that Gio has clearly stopped the rot that had set in defensively where we were conceding ridiculous goals? Yes. Similarly and really importantly, he got us back in the habit of winning and he did it quickly. It's absolutely to his credit that we didn't drop more points in those games during the managerial transition.

I can be delighted with all of that and still be concerned about the performance on Tuesday night though. The two aren't mutually exclusive. We were really poor in the Hibs game too, so it's not a one-off in terms of performance levels. Yes, we were missing our best player on Tuesday and Clancy was horrific. But we went 1-0 up and created nothing for pretty much the rest of the game. Against Bates and McCrorie. Our passing was brutal with zero fluidity.

Overall, of course I'm delighted with the points total and the impact GvB has made in a short space of time. But there are issues that I'm concerned about too.

To say we were lucky v Hearts is horseshit

We only sat in after we established what proved to be an unasailable early lead.

Its a poor example of the point you are trying to make
We can agree to disagree. Although we won, Hearts could and should have scored two or three. They controlled a large majority of that game. Just how I seen it pan out. If you seen it differently then that's cool.

We can agree to disagree. Although we won, Hearts could and should have scored two or three. They controlled a large majority of that game. Just how I seen it pan out. If you seen it differently then that's cool.
Nonsense.

We deservedly won that game.

Nearly every match ends with both teams having missed good chances. We absolute deserved to win that game and we only began to sit back after we established a very strong lead that proved unasailable.

Its revisionist nonsense to try and say Rangers didnt deserve the win.

Nonsense.

We deservedly won that game.

Nearly every match ends with both teams having missed good chances. We absolute deserved to win that game and we only began to sit back after we established a very strong lead that proved unasailable.

Its revisionist nonsense to try and say Rangers didnt deserve the win.
How can it be revisionist when I thought it watching the game? We scored two great goals and got the 3 points but I felt Hearts were unlucky over the course of the game. No big deal. Jesus fucking Christ.

Patience bears.
The performance was more concerning than the result for me.

Playing a full strength sheep side playing like it was cup final day. Came away with a draw and played poor. That’s it really. Meanwhile the scum play at home to a Hibs side with a new manager just in the door and get a win and suddenly they’re world beaters playing wonderful football. Deluded. They will drop points and I’m confident we can go to the tattie dome and win.

Back