Goldson "wanted" by Nottingham Forrest and West Brom

Adam55

Official Ticketer
Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.
He’s hoping the right offer will. One along before the window shuts IMO.

If we win the league Goldson will sign a new deal.

No way he’s missing out on Champions League football after being a massive part of getting us there.

I think he’s happy to play it out to the end of the season.
Haven’t thought of it that way before mate. I always thought as soon as Gerrard left Villa would come in for him and he’d jump at the chance to play in the Prem.

Goldson is a brilliant defender. I think any ‘dips in form’ has come at times when players around him have been really struggling. Or players beside him have been below the required standard. When Helander starts beside him Id fancy us to keep a clean sheet against most teams. Keeping Helander on the pitch has been difficult.

In 3.5 years he hasnt missed a game.

55 legend

Goldson has our contract to consider- he or more importantly his agent is holding off until he sees what offers comes in from other clubs - with less than 9 days of this window left it looks like there is only going to be 2 options left - sign the contract Rangers have offered or let his current deal run down in the hope some other club comes in for him as a free agin the summer.
As it stands Goldson has a big decision to make in February after the current window closes if no other club shows an interest in signing him

I might just be that no one wants him

So despite the fact he was instrumental in achieving 55 you decided after Hibs game he should be punted. I'm more concerned about your view than any performance Goldson has put in. I watch central defenders worth 50 million that put in worse performances that Connor ever has, Get a grip

Goldson has our contract to consider- he or more importantly his agent is holding off until he sees what offers comes in from other clubs - with less than 9 days of this window left it looks like there is only going to be 2 options left - sign the contract Rangers have offered or let his current deal run down in the hope some other club comes in for him as a free agin the summer.
As it stands Goldson has a big decision to make in February after the current window closes if no other club shows an interest in signing him
Have we offered him a new contract?

No way is he signing a new deal and for the money he wants then all the best to him in the EPL. We need to reduce our wage bill and handing out silly contracts to players we will never do this.
Goldson can either be absolutely fantastic or the complete opposite and if he does not want to sign what Ross Wilson has offered him then its time to part ways.

The worst worst thing we can do is qualify for the Champions league and hand out silly contracts. We have to treat our funds as a Europa league team and give deal out according to this.

I might just be that no one wants him
It’s possible no-one has had talks, in the meantime I think he’s keeping his options open for potentially a bigger offer or hedging his bets. Watching some of the EPL games this past week he wouldn’t look out of place in the bottom half the league.

So despite the fact he was instrumental in achieving 55 you decided after Hibs game he should be punted. I'm more concerned about your view than any performance Goldson has put in. I watch central defenders worth 50 million that put in worse performances that Connor ever has, Get a grip
It wasn’t necessarily his performance but his attitude after the match. Get a grip? That was unacceptable and you’re kidding yourself on if you think his comments don’t deserve to be questioned.

Three and a half years at Rangers, 120 league appearances, 193 total appearances, 17 goals

League winner

I’ve been vocal against both sides about this contract thing being dragged out, but one thing I noticed the other night during the Stirling game that made me think he'd be worth a bump in wages.
After young Lowry had scored and all the players congratulated and celebrated with him, Goldson put his arm around the boy and had a word in his ear. I think sometimes small things like on field and off field leadership from players can be missed in the contract debate.

Three and a half years at Rangers, 120 league appearances, 193 total appearances, 17 goals

League winner

I’ve been vocal against both sides about this contract thing being dragged out, but one thing I noticed the other night during the Stirling game that made me think he'd be worth a bump in wages.
After young Lowry had scored and all the players congratulated and celebrated with him, Goldson put his arm around the boy and had a word in his ear. I think sometimes small things like on field and off field leadership from players can be missed in the contract debate.
Another thing that goes un-noticed, Gerrard had a real decision to make when he came in. Retain Tav as captain or rock the boat.

I personally think Goldson is ‘a captain’ and could/shouldve been made captain but Gerrard created the senior group. Basically saying ‘you guys are captains but he has the arm band’. We are lucky that when you look through our squad we have several captains. Im just greatful that Connor bought into that. It by no means undermeans his vslue because in my eyes he is a captain on the park. Every week

As long as he doesn't down tools...which he hasn't. and no contract from Rangers is forth coming, what's he supposed to do. ?
I think he's been very professional in the way he's conducted himself.
Seemed like he downed tools before Gio came in. Although the recent upturn in form has almost seen that swept under the carpet now tbh

Another thing that goes un-noticed, Gerrard had a real decision to make when he came in. Retain Tav as captain or rock the boat.

I personally think Goldson is ‘a captain’ and could/shouldve been made captain but Gerrard created the senior group. Basically saying ‘you guys are captains but he has the arm band’. We are lucky that when you look through our squad we have several captains. Im just greatful that Connor bought into that. It by no means undermeans his vslue because in my eyes he is a captain on the park. Every week
You’re correct Not at all undermines his value and I think what I said about him talking with Lowry after the goal validates your point

No way he’s missing out on Champions League football after being a massive part of getting us there.

Or nobody has offered him a contract elsewhere. He’s running a big risk hoping for a bigger contract waiting on CL football when it’s not guaranteed yet

Thankfully, he made the right decision.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but he can still sign the pre-contract outwith the transfer window, can't he? meaning when the transfer window shuts, he doesn't have to wait until the Summer to sign a contract with someone else?

I don't think he's particularly whoring himself around either. I do think he's professional enough to have his eyes on the prize with us the next few months regardless of what the future holds for him - which is all I can ask of him atm.
Yes he can mate.

He can sign a pre contract or have a verbal agreement with whoever he wants between now and the summer. None of the parties involved have to disclose anything at the moment. So we likely won't find anything out until nearer the end of the season. Unless he signs an extension.

Joe Aribo was in a similar situation at Charlton before he signed for us.

There’s every chance, when you hear Defoe on radio getting teared up about the group of players at Rangers it shows you the togetherness and the sacrifices they have made. This journey isn’t over with this group not by a long shot, despite bams wanting the first team ripped up, reinvest and start again. As you say 56, CL football with a group of players he’s been a huge part in driving them to be better. We might just be the best package out there come the summer.
If he can earn his 50k then good luck to him and will always leave with my best wishes

Perhaps in future contracts Rangers should try and have the option to trigger a further year which can tend to protect the club. The world will move forward whether he stays or goes

Villa have mega money.

Gerrard at Rangers was shopping at Tesco.
Gearrd at Villa is now shopping at Harrods.

I think the best illustration of this is that Gerrard reached out to players he knew from Liverpool when he took the Rangers and Villa jobs.

At Ibrox it was Flanagan from Bolton and some youth team players on loan. At Villa Park it was Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona.

Would love him to stay, but can see it and feel like he’s holding out to see if any of the premiership top half clubs pick up any injuries and will take a chance on him as a free. That or he’s already agreed / signed a pre contract with West Ham or Villa and just keeping it private until the end of the season.

He can sign a pre contract or have a verbal agreement with whoever he wants between now and the summer. None of the parties involved have to disclose anything at the moment. So we likely won't find anything out until nearer the end of the season. Unless he signs an extension.

Joe Aribo was in a similar situation at Charlton before he signed for us.
From memory it was the same with Ryan Jack, he signed for us but knew the backlash and both parties kept it quiet.

Yeah I agree, Goldson is definitely a Captain and leader for us on the park. We’ve several Captains throughout our team when it comes to the dressing room and leading by example. Davis, Arfied and Jack to name a few. Could probably put Balogun down as well reading how he’s the guy that’s been representing the Nigerian players regarding their fight for their monies due etc.

Find it hard to fault him. We have undying loyalty but players don’t have that same bond no matter what we think.
I’m sure Rangers are extremely special to him but ultimately it’s his future after football he needs to think of.
For what’s it’s worth I hope I’m right in thinking he is waiting to see if we win the league. If not I think his head says he’s achieved and now he needs to be secure, if we do hopefully he’s secure enough and Champions league is a big enough draw.

League winner

He’ll definitely be missed if he chooses to leave. An old firm win, winning the league and a shot at the champions league gives us and outside chance to tempt him to extend.

Find it hard to fault him. We have undying loyalty but players don’t have that same bond no matter what we think.
I’m sure Rangers are extremely special to him but ultimately it’s his future after football he needs to think of.
For what’s it’s worth I hope I’m right in thinking he is waiting to see if we win the league. If not I think his head says he’s achieved and now he needs to be secure, if we do hopefully he’s secure enough and Champions league is a big enough draw.
Agreed and hopefully he’s waiting to see if we win the league and so he can compare our offer of champions league football against whatever other options come his way. As a free, his agent must already have interest from the premiership.

Back