Would you give the Gers money if you won a huge amount on the lottery (And would your Mrs let you.)

If we're talking 20m from a win of 160m I'd probably divert most to the Youth Development Company.

This is probably the most sensible idea I've seen. Investing that kind of money into the Youth infrastructure would probably be the more rewarding endeavour.

If I won a massive Euromillions Jackpot, as in the full whack, that's exactly what I'd do. Invest in the Youth set up. The benefits would last way beyond just handing the club a lump sum for a small amount of influence at board level, that wouldn't really be certain to translate into on field improvement. Whereas making us one of the best funded youth academies in Scotland/UK would be a far more fruitful investment.

I don't think my missus would be keen but, we aren't married so I'd imagine she'd probably know what side her bread is buttered B-D .

Depends. If I won £180m on the Euromillions I am sure I’d become a serious investor.

If I won £5m, nope. That would have to last me probably 50 years so we both quit work it wouldn’t leave much for random gifts to Rangers

Where does it end giving money to the football club though? Look how much Dave king has put in and it never seems to be enough.
Personally if I won 160 million I would put money in but I dont have the financial brains to say how it should be used.
It wouldn't be your job to say how it's used it would be a donation to the club someone else decides how it's used.

To answer the question I'd probably donate a few million if I won over 100 million.

I would do things a bit differently. I would invest a proper sum £10-15m for exclusive use for the youth academy and scouting as that’s the way forward for the club.

The other thing I would do is set up a company that handled all the catering at the stadium. The focus would be on quality and choice. All profits would go directly to the club. None of this getting a pittance off azure

If it was a huge win, kill two birds with one stone.

Make a donation to the club on the understanding that they could use it as they saw fit but a percentage of it would be distributed by the Charity Foundation every year up to the original amount. Say £25 million at £1 million a year. Club get the immediate boost and charities benefit as well.

Don't know if it could be worked that way but I'd love to try and find out. :p

Personally no.

I respect the value of money and that wouldn't change if I won the lottery. I'm not sinking it into any 3rd party to decide how to spend it.

I would buy 2 boxes, 1 for myself family and friends and the other for fans who couldn't maybe afford to go and charity work( different people every game working with local charity) . I'd pay full hospitality and give everyone a £100 gift card for the shop

Supporting the fans and the club

It wouldn't be your job to say how it's used it would be a donation to the club someone else decides how it's used.

To answer the question I'd probably donate a few million if I won over 100 million.
This is the issue, you're essentially handing money over to a board to decide what to do with it, people who are often out of touch with the normal supporter or their needs.

If it was crazy euro millions money ie £150m then I'd put around £10m into the club, in return for guaranteed 4 seats at every game home and abroad, and also to decide where the money goes (is that possible as an investor? Genuine question)
I'd want it spent on improving the facilities at Ibrox, completely revamp toilets and the concourses etc.

If I won the eurmillions, say £200 million, I'd flatten the Govan, Copeland and Broomie and build Megabrox either a 100,000 capacity.

I'd still only give the scum 700 tickets. Just enough to let them tell their pals how amazing the stadium is

I’d have to have a fortune close to £1B to consider touching a football team. Nowadays, if you win £100M and give away £10M, you’re not buying a player, you’re covering some of the operating costs. You’d be crazy to give away more, as it’s your children’s inheritance you’re pissing away, and you’re most likely not seeing that money back.
I was thinking more with my heart than with my head when i made the thread .

Had this discussion with my significant other she said no I said yes obviously or i would,not have started this thread . If i had won the Colin Weir money i know i would have seen Rangers all right don't think we would have went through what we have .
I’ve often pondered this and the answer is yes, I would (assuming crazy sums like the euro millions guy) actually worked out the proportions etc. Mrs would not be happy but what’s new :D.

Only if you used the money to buy shares, thought we were talking of giving money to rangers, not investing in them?
Also by purchasing shares then the money would be going to the owner of the shares and not the club.
Unless the club did a new share issue and diluted all the other shareholders investment just for you.
Yeah I mean via a share issue. I'm sure you could just give them money too.

I’ve told the mrs I 100% would want to….. would she let me? Doubt it , however suppose half of what planned to would still be better than nothing for the club & expenses be less if just me B-)

Not a chance.

I love Rangers but if I won a hundred million on the Euromillions, any I was giving away millions it would be going to charities and folk that actually need the money.

I think reality would hit when you got the cash. investing in football teams is pretty much pissing away money. would much rather gift to a youth setup in my home town, see them develop and not have to worry about fund raising just to buy kits etc

I would see myself spending money on a box/shares/hospitality every other week :)

Had this discussion with my significant other she said no I said yes obviously or i would,not have started this thread . If i had won the Colin Weir money i know i would have seen Rangers all right don't think we would have went through what we have .
And you would have been taken to the cleaners

Same reason why any sane investor ran a million miles when they looked at the books.

£20m to buy Rangers at the time

Then, as the banks aren’t stupid and we’re getting out quickly, fund the club by around £1m per month

All the while a potential £40-80m (who knows?) debt hanging over the club by HMRC

So, you could have spent in excess of £50m only to get whacked with a bill of say another £50m (potentially)

Anyway, that was for a different time…..

Onto nowadays - okay so you’ve won big, say around £100m on Euromillions

You decide to ‘give’ Rangers £20m as you are a good guy

What you have effectively done is given all of the other multi millionaire investors £20m between them, as THEY own the club and it used to have assets of say £100m including playing staff, stadium etc, now it has assets of £120m and the value of their shareholding has went up

No, what you do first is buy a share in the club and then LOAN the club the money, secured against some assets (so you get your money back the same as the other investors) with say an interest free, 5 year loan.

The club have the option after 5 years of paying back the loan in full, or paying back £10m and converting the other £10m into shares.

Yes deffo, would clear the debt and then donate to youth academy. All I would look for is tickets for every game, and accses to training ground (meeting players etc). I would be quite happy with 5 - 10m for me and family, as £1m is more than enough to last 5/6 family members so majority to the bears but not for boardroom influence...

Like others if it was a huge amount like £160m or something i would give the club £60m but i would stipulate in a contract how it should be spent and not given away to directors or pay off debts or anything , i would give £20m to transfer kitty , £30m for ground improvements and £10m for youth development and all i would ask in return was tickets for any game home or away i wanted

Yes I'd happily invest. Either through targeted sponsorship or for specific purposes such as youth development or stadium improvement. But I dont know if I'd want to get involved in the running of the club. Too public and too absorbing.

How much was it he won, 160 million? I think I would give 25 percent away, 40 million. Told my wife I would be giving rangers money if we won big, she would have to live with it!
Just divorce her and you can both have 60 million each, pretty sure you could get by on that and have no one to answer toB-D

I’d offer £5m a year to sponsor Ibrox and rename it Ibrox, for 10 years, then the board can look to get a bigger sponsor when my deal runs out, thus ensuring the club gets a bigger revenue over the long term, than me hanging about the boardroom like a dafty.

Would try do something more legacy based with it

Giving rangers 20 mil donation that'll be gone in half a season on wages alone

20 mil into youth setup so we can compete with teams down South and dont lose our best talent .. thatll benefit the first team for years to come with future sales and players starting.

Something that would make a lasting impact on Rangers for a long time

Same reason why any sane investor ran a million miles when they looked at the books.

Then, as the banks aren’t stupid and we’re getting out quickly, fund the club by around £1m per month

All the while a potential £40-80m (who knows?) debt hanging over the club by HMRC

So, you could have spent in excess of £50m only to get whacked with a bill of say another £50m (potentially)

What you have effectively done is given all of the other multi millionaire investors £20m between them, as THEY own the club and it used to have assets of say £100m including playing staff, stadium etc, now it has assets of £120m and the value of their shareholding has went up

No, what you do first is buy a share in the club and then LOAN the club the money, secured against some assets (so you get your money back the same as the other investors) with say an interest free, 5 year loan.

The club have the option after 5 years of paying back the loan in full, or paying back £10m and converting the other £10m into shares.
Jesus i wish i had,nt bothered here was me doing something i thought was helping my club and it would seem going by your post that ive just stepped on a minefield of problems .maybe better using my winnings on hookers and crack but think my Mrs would have definetly said no .

No chance, might as well put it down the drain outside my house. I’d probably get a box and sponsor some games etc but that would be it.

I would buy a small struggling local team and build them up to become self sustainable.

I think that would be better than being the guy who invested x amount into Rangers that one year and it was just eaten up by costs.

I wouldn't give them the money - I'd order a custom hospitality box at great expense.

And also pay a large fee to DJ over the tannoy once a season.

If I won the Euro Millions ( £150m )
I would buy £20m worth of shares, my wife would expect nothing less, I personally wouldn't want a Directorship, would put my son forward
I would keep my seat in the Govan Rear as they are a good bunch around me
initially, I would keep The Louden to see how it worked out.
I have a good life, I can't see any reason to change it
The only thing I would like to do is design and build a house

Back