Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people won’t be happy unless we spend money

Bizarre take on things if you ask me
It’s extremely clear we need a right winger as far as we know the club want a right winger.

Having Lundstram for example sitting on the bench doesn’t change the fact we need a winger.

With Hagi out that leaves Scott Wright. Sakala can play there but what happens if Kent picks up an injury?

The club clearly feel we need a player there and there is folk on here downplaying it, for what? To prove a point? That’s more bizarre than anything else.

Think the board need to weigh out the potential risks for the remainder of the window.

What's a bigger risk

(A) Going with what we have and potentially missing out on a £30m windfall that will make the club turn a profit for the first time in many a year.

(B) Spending £2-3m on a RW who could potentially score some vital goals that get us over the line in the title race?

I know absolutely nothing is guaranteed with new signings but going into to massive title deciding games with guys like Baker and Wright gives me the fear.

We are a couple of injuries away from completely lacking real creativity.
I don’t even know if this a thing but I wonder if the club have considered a loan with obligation to buy deal if we win the league and secure UCL money?

Who isn't though?

Were far better equipped than anyone else to deal with players missing, as the league table shows mate.
Are we though? Relying on Wright and Sakala to be our creative players has alarm bells ringing already

I’ll ask you a fairly straight forward question; would you be happy if Sakala and Wright were 2 of our 4 attacking players against Celtic on 2nd February?

I’ll admit, I’d be panicking if I seen the line up and both were starting

I used to love the transfer thread. Rumours, people claiming to be ITK, hopes up, hopes dashed and then eventually getting solid rumours and signings and then be buzzing! Now it’s just arguing about current players fitness and random shite that doesn’t belong in any thread.
Warburtons first season was a great thread I was on holiday sitting by the pool as signings were made Halliday on trial etc, great fun.

I've just logged into this one and scrolled from page 17, I've no idea what's happening now :)

Are we though? Relying on Wright and Sakala to be our creative players has alarm bells ringing already

I’ll ask you a fairly straight forward question; would you be happy if Sakala and Wright were 2 of our 4 attacking players against Celtic on 2nd February?

I can sort of subscibe to what you are saying but it's two different issues for me.

As it's already been said in a few responses to you, any club can be exposed to injury and/or suspension problems and you can't do your transfer business on the basis that we need cover if we get injuries etc. That's just having excess players for the sake of having numbers.

However, I must admit that yes we are probably overstacked in some areas of the pitch and have too many players that are quite similar and the squad overall is quite bloated.

I think the transfer strategy previously was to be on the fatter side and have numbers because we were playing 60-70 game seasons, however I think that strategy has now been concluded and we are only looking to make signings that are of benefit to the starting 11.

We need to be in a position an injury to a key player isn't a disaster because we have a suitable understudy that we can trust and it won't hinder the team, but the nature of that requirement and the level in the transfer market that we operate in makes it very difficult.

We need more Sakala's and Wright's than we do Jordan Jones' and Brandon Barker's but even then if you are talking from an ideal standing point then Sakala and Wright probably aren't the solution either, but I think that they are probably the best we can bring in and utilise.

I’m going to say this now come back to me and quote me if I’m wrong- we aren’t signing Olsen and we won’t be signing anyone else this window except Souttar and Sands.

If someone is coming in it’s likely to break tomorrow. In these situations it always seems to break the day following a game for some reason.

Ifs, buts and maybes but in the coming weeks we are currently looking at adding Helander, Jack and Roofe to the team we had through December when we won all 6 games without conceding a single goal (including Easter Road and Tynecastle), and additionally adding Arfield and Aribo to the team who played at Aberdeen. You can add to that the additions of Sands and Itten.

We are currently looking at going into February and March far stronger than we were in December (even with the Hagi injury and Patterson sale). I’d still like to bring in a winger, but that perspective is important.
Agree with the above. I think that’s the gamble that Gio will be thinking of. If Helander, Jack and Roofe could stay fit I think we are in good shape. Albeit missing a right winger for me.

An injury to Kent or Aribo away from a crisis and no CL money

We seem to be keen to waste resources on a CB we dont need and a project signing from the MLS (this is nothing against the player whatsover)

Few days to go but so far its been a shambles

Playing with fire here
That’s absolutely rubbish. We have exactly the same squad as an undefeated for a full season title winning team other than we have lost a substitute who couldn’t get a game and hagi who has been in and out.

If we lost a key man I could maybe understand the want to spend but it’s borderline nuts to say we are an injury to aribo away From losing the league. That would suggest the competition from them is good, it isn’t, they are terrible.

We can’t keep buying quality players on big contracts for transfer fees to sit around in case of an aribo injury. The wage bill looks bloated already. At best I could see a loan in just to cover the position, we won’t be spending big on a 6 month cover.

Some fans are really struggling with the ‘cut our cloth accordingly’ model.

That’s absolutely rubbish. We have exactly the same squad as an undefeated for a full season title winning team other than we have lost a substitute who couldn’t get a game and hagi who has been in and out.

If we lost a key man I could maybe understand the want to spend but it’s borderline nuts to say we are an injury to aribo away From losing the league. That would suggest the competition from them is good, it isn’t, they are terrible.

We can’t keep buying quality players on big contracts for transfer fees to sit around in case of an aribo injury. The wage bill looks bloated already. At best I could see a loan in just to cover the position, we won’t be spending big on a 6 month cover.

Some fans are really struggling with the ‘cut our cloth accordingly’ model.
Celtic are nowhere near as bad as they were last season, the quicker people realise that the better. They've spent a fortune and they are only 4 points behind, we're an injury away from using Brandon Barker on the right wing ffs.

Going to be honest.. anything we do this late in the window has a sense if panic about it and those types of transfers rarely work well.

We've been needing a quality RW since the summer and we done nothing about it then.. in the first 26 days of this window we haven't addressed it either.

At this point, it's safe to say if we bring someone in now, they haven't been a long term target of Ross Wilson or they'd have been here by now. Slightly worrying in my opinion.

As a guess big yin, what position would the loanee be for?

I have no idea mate and I wouldn’t pretend to know names or anything like that but surely it’s going to be an attacking player/winger that can sit on the right. Who knows though!

Just an educated guess from me really. I don’t even know if we are doing anything but just feel a loan is the most likely at this stage.

This continuous Olsen bullshit is getting abit annoying now & the fact certain posters on here are buying into the stories we are keen on him adds to it.

Have any credible sources commented on us being in talks or bids? Just because Gerrard was linked with him it doesn't mean Gio is.

Im now wondering if we can resolve, until summer , the MF and RW in one signing by getting Joe Rothwell from Blackburn Rovers . He’s a guy who has been linked in the past and from the skills reels which shows him being CM role I think he may also be able to be RW .

Anyone seen much of him and have a view , I could be talking bollox never seen the guy in a Live game let alone play RW lol

Why does it means if we have cash we would have spent it already? What if the team selling needs to buy before selling? What if the player hasn’t agreed any terms yet? What if we need to sell before we buy? All of those scenarios are very likely.

This is the real world, not Fifa. Come back in Feb and wet your pants, you may look stupid! (Hopefully :)))
We signed Ryan Kent on deadline day I think?

Working is subjective! Yes we won the away games but you can’t sustain that lack of control and poor play for the season which showed against aberdeen! I hope Aberdeen was a huge wake up call. We’re rangers, we don’t sit in against cloggers and journeymen! I’m all for “keeping the zero” but we do that by putting our boots on these cunts necks not sitting in and allowing Aberdeen 65% possession!
For the past few years we struggle with teams that go heavy handed with us or are in our faces that's why our cup form is so poor & Aberdeen in particular are good at it Hibs & Hearts to an extent do press us hard & get physical with us we need to buy player's that know the dark arts & are more physical in the tackle particularly in midfield.

I have no idea mate and I wouldn’t pretend to know names or anything like that but surely it’s going to be an attacking player/winger that can sit on the right. Who knows though!

Just an educated guess from me really. I don’t even know if we are doing anything but just feel a loan is the most likely at this stage.
Thanks. I'll assume then that we've got a Dutch right sided attacker lined up.

We signed Ryan Kent on deadline day I think?
Slightly different though

We already had him on loan previously, Liverpool wanted to sell, we wanted to buy and he wanted to be here.

Biggest issue was the fee, which we were struggling with and it was only after we qualified in Europe that the board released funds to pay the fee

So the Skov Olsen furore from last night is ...nothing?

It’s neither something or nothing. Nobody is willing to pay the fee Bologna want. He’s trying to force a move and doubt he’ll play for them again.

It’s highly likely he’ll move this window as it’s what player and club want. Whether that’s to us, Brugge or someone else will depend on an agreement being reached.

I think they’ll back down and take a reduced fee, or loan with obligation to buy type deal last minute.

Last edited:
Saw on Twitter that our youths/B team played a friendly vs the Man Utd U23 team down there yesterday. Potentially assessing a loanee from them?

Agree with the above. I think that’s the gamble that Gio will be thinking of. If Helander, Jack and Roofe could stay fit I think we are in good shape. Albeit missing a right winger for me.
That indeed is the major stumbling block for me. There have been very few signs in recent months that will be the case. If they stay fit, it will be a bonus for sure, but no way we should rely on any of the above, as it is not as if their injuries have been minor and they just miss the one or two games.

Celtic are nowhere near as bad as they were last season, the quicker people realise that the better. They've spent a fortune and they are only 4 points behind, we're an injury away from using Brandon Barker on the right wing ffs.
The loss of Hagi is major he can fill so many positions and yes he has been out of form but in my onion it won’t be long till we are saying wish we had Hagi

Don't think there's any chance of them starting, barring an injury disaster mate.

I reckon we'll sign a right sided forward and Roofe, Kent and Aribo are certs for 3 of the 4 places.

Considering Morelos isn't available and we've still got Sakala, Itten, Wright, Arfield and Bacuna as forward and attacking mid options, I don't think we can realistically expect to carry many more forward minded players than that in our squad.

When you're sitting at Ibrox before kick off tonight, check out the scum midfield and forward lineup for Tynecastle.
Unless they pick up any more injuries, that's who's likely to start against us.
They simply don't have the same depth of quality in their squad as we do.

We've had Balogun, Helander, Arfield, Davis, Jack, Roofe, Kent (all key players) missing for long periods this season, yet we don't moan about it, we just get on with it and we're top of the league, with just one defeat.

They have now got a similar number of players becoming unavailable for them and the hysteria coming from them is hilarious.

Let's see if their fringe players can handle an injury crisis the way our's have.

This continuous Olsen bullshit is getting abit annoying now & the fact certain posters on here are buying into the stories we are keen on him adds to it.

Heaven forbid people discuss potential targets in the transfer thread.

faint-fainting.gif

Saw on Twitter that our youths/B team played a friendly vs the Man Utd U23 team down there yesterday. Potentially assessing a loanee from them?
We could assess their U23’s at anytime. Don’t think we would arrange it solely with that in mind. And I’d hope our recruitment was abit further down the line than still scouting players 5 days before the deadline

If Celtic are pushing their defenders up then Sakala / Wright could get a lot of joy with the amount of space they might get to run at them

If Celtic are pushing their defenders up then Sakala / Wright could get a lot of joy with the amount of space they might get to run at them
Has to be a consideration that they push their fullbacks forward into the middle of the park.

The fact we play with out and out wingers under Gio will be interesting. Keep Kent and Sakala hugging the touch line and they either will get space out there to attack or allows Aribo and Roofe to go 2 v 2 on their centre backs. If the former then Kent and Sakala should have acres of space on the wings.

Has to be a consideration that they push their fullbacks forward into the middle of the park.

The fact we play with out and out wingers under Gio will be interesting. Keep Kent and Sakala hugging the touch line and they either will get space out there to attack or their full backs drop back into their positions. If the latter it allows Aribo and Roofe to go 2 v 2 on their centre backs.

Yup Exactly. Team vs Celtic should be:

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Bassey/Balogun/Souttar
Barisic

Kamara
Arfield
Aribo

Sakala
Kent
Roofe

The fact we play with out and out wingers under Gio will be interesting. Keep Kent and Sakala hugging the touch line and they either will get space out there to attack or allows Aribo and Roofe to go 2 v 2 on their centre backs. If the former then Kent and Sakala should have acres of space on the wings.
The other side of the coin is they overload us in central areas. We need to be flexible enough to get wide and advanced when attacking but really compact when out of possession.

Em. They are a point worse off through 21 games this year than last year. They are about the same. Its us who havent been as good. Thats the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back