James Sands. Not a criticism of the player more the need.

I suspect he was brought in with a view to giving him some time to settle if Kamara goes in the summer. Injuries and international duty has meant that he's probably played a more key role than we might have liked so far.

He's certainly not ready yet, which again why ? We keep saying get players better than we have or equal to. Baffling other than the buy cheap sell model but two first team starts in the league ?

Definitely not a position we needed and whilst it would be stupid to write him off at this stage the early signs aren't positive ones IMO.

Big transition for him though so he deserves the time to settle.

I thought Jack did more in his 15 mins. He is always involved. Sands looks like he needs to work on his positional play, it’s like he doesn’t know the role. He looks nice enough on the ball but can’t get near it for the most part.

Him and Kamara hasn't worked together in either game.

Was an instant difference when more dynamic players in Arfield and Jack were involved.

We don’t necessarily have to bring players in order of how much they’re needed. We can bring others in too.

Given Patterson has gone and we have one continuously fit CM I can see exactly why we’ve brought him in. Neat and tidy and seems solid enough. Second game, let’s give him a chance shall we?

Sands is just fine and will only get better. He does his job - break up play and move the ball on. Kamara is the best DM we have. Davis is not getting younger so I am happy with Sands as Kamara's understudy.

I agree with OP though in that CAM/RW was/is a much more pressing position for us. Hopefully see some movement the next few days

No need for him as an addition,

We are playing less midfielders than we did under Gerrard, yet added a midfielder and haven’t added width which we are now playing with more of.

Stupid signing

There was people on the Match Thread slating the lad for not offering much going forward. It's not his game. He will rarely stand out in a game but been decent enough start for him. Nothing great nothing bad.

I do agree to me the midfield triangle should be the other way around v Livi at home but maybe Arfield wasn't ready for 90 mins and was left with just the 3 fit enough to start causing that formation.

Won’t be clear to any of us for 12 months how good he really is.

Tonight does show that creative midfielders win you titles, we desperately need a couple to compliment the midfielders we do have who all but one, have no interest in getting forward or creating

He should not be starting games that's 2 league games on the bounce and the midfield have been poor. Not criticising the boy he needs bedded in it will take him time to settle.

He was playing RB for New York this season and injuries/Afcon aside I don’t think we’d have seen him in the side so soon. He needs the rest of the season to get used to a higher level than he’s been used to.

Shouldn't be starting games - that is just a total disrespect to the rest of the squad. Only thing I can think is Gio has done it to try and force a couple out the door.

A tidy enough player that we will not need in 99% of the games we play domestically

Maybe a long term Kamara replacement?

Not a position I would have been prioritising this window
Nowhere near the athlete Kamara is let alone the talent, that much is evident already

He seems decent enough. Athletic and can pass but you need to dictate play for Rangers at home. He rarely took the ball off our back 4. Polster looked more aggressive and more confident on the ball. Happy to give him time though and have him learn from Jack etc.

The criticism is unfair, but I agree tactically that we should've started Arfield over Sands this game. There's going to be games we can use him, and he looks solid enough, but at home vs Livingston is not one of them. As soon as Arfield came in, we started creating more chances, which is exactly what we needed to get the winner.

He is not as good as Kamara,Jack and Davis as a CDM and he doesn't look to have much in the way of attacking play to move further forward. I struggle to see where he get a game when others are fit.

Seemed like a squad player to me, initially anyway, somebody who can cover a few positions. Maybe he wasn't intended to start games so soon but there have been players out.

I thought he done ok tonight still getting used to the game in Scotland. I think Davis is pretty much finished takes longer to recover from injuries at that age.

A tidy enough player that we will not need in 99% of the games we play domestically

Maybe a long term Kamara replacement?

Not a position I would have been prioritising this window
Not seeing that. Early days right enough.

Back