Sands

I cant even remember seeing him last night. He was the same against Aberdeen. It might take him time to settle so not writing him off just yet.

Obviously needs more game time before we can really judge but currently looks to have arrived with an invisibility cloak.

He looks a good player to me.

He's good on the ball, mobile, strong and always looking to receive.

Playing two number 6s doesn't work for us though when we are trying to go and win games against dross.

We don't have any other options in midfield just now though.

Sand done his job fine last night, he’s there to take the ball off the back 4 and move it on, keep possession and break up any attacks that come, he’s not going to be doing fancy tricks or defences splitting passes. hard for a DM to be a stand out when the team you’re playing against aren’t getting up the pitch and attacking us, which is the case most of the time at Ibrox against these smaller teams that sit in, in possession he was fine

Ffs some thread this , we battered livi last night , could have been 3 or 4 easily

I don’t know what game you were watching but we didn’t batter livi last night. They were comfortable the whole night, their keeper barely made a save.

We had tonnes of pointless possession passing around the back but that was about it

I'd rather be looking at what Kamara is bringing to be honest. Fans want 15 even 20m for him and he's been getting away with murder. If he's truly worth that he should be running the midfield.

Sands is just in the door ffs.
I thought Kamara was excellent first half last night?

The lad is easing himself into the side.
He is a defensive midfield player and thus is asked to do a lot of unrecognised running and covering.
He played a straight bat and took no risks in his play.
His game intelligence seems sound.
Have patience as he grows into his new team and comes to terms with the expectations of playing for Rangers.

The obsession about writing off a young player playing DM in a new team is baffling.

Give him time to get used to his teammates and the system.

We were short of options last night.

He needs to be more decisive with his passing. Seems to want to take an extra touch but i think that'll just be a settling in thing. He'll still be getting used to the tempo of the SPL, especially compared to the MLS.

Sands filled his role well last night. He was not the cause of any of our issues. To direct abuse at him is in my opinion completely ridiculous.

As others have found out in recent years, you don't get time to settle in at Rangers, 2 pretty forgettable performances so far.

Don't think he'll feature on Saturday, we'll be looking to get more minutes into Arfield/Aribo & Jack before next Wednesday

Just posted in the match thread but it's probably more relevant in here.

Yes it's been two games, but I've just not been overly impressed with anything he's shown thus far - I just don't think he has the technical ability to be a starter in midfield for us. His direct competitors for that role are all levels above him on the ball. No doubt he'll have a role to play in some capacity, but I just don't see him being a mainstay in our team at any stage.

What are people genuinely expecting?

A young player playing his 2nd game for his team in a new league/country/continent. He was part of a team against Aberdeen that got outran and outfought, but he wasn't alone in that. Last night he played as the deepest midfielder against a team with 11 men behind the ball so exactly what impact do people think he should have on the game? He wasn't wasting any passes or getting caught out of position and had Kamara next to him as the playmaker. He did a solid if unspectacular job and was sacrificed for a player with more attacking intent when we needed a goal.

I’m failing to see where the hysteria is coming from here? Thought he had a steady enough game last night.

Reactions: fmp
We'll need to give him time to settle. Getting young players in and developing them is the name of the game for us now. Some are going to hit the ground running and some are going be slow burners.

If Sands coming in allows us to ship Lundstram out and save some money in wages then it makes sense. From what he's shown so far, he can at least contribute at that level.

I cant honestly believe anyone thought he was poor against Aberdeen. All I can say if it was not for him we would not have even got 1 point. Faded second half but was the main man in midfield prior.

He deserves plenty more time, but what you’ve said is mental. He got pushed off the ball a lot, he won 3 out of 8 duels and made 1 successful tackle and 1 interception.

That isn’t a point saving DM.

I think he has had a very good start. He is strong in the tackle and reads the game well. It is not his fault we are crying out for an ACM hence playing with with 2 DM. Rather than criticise a guy just in the door I would question Kamara's contribution. When Sands got the ball he was looking to make the forward pass which wasn't often on. Tav was staying back mainly, Kamara and Fashion weren't in space and they had a few players blocking off the middle so Borna was the safe and productive ball. Our current situation dictated the team selection.

The lads done fine in his first 2 games I don't necessary think the position he has played is ware Geo and the club see him playing in the future but unfortunately circumstances have dictated that he has had too do a job there for the moment and he

I got pelters for questioning his contribution against the Sheep.
I saw nothing to change my opinion tonight!!
He was anonymous and the game was passing
I got pelters for questioning his contribution against the Sheep.
I saw nothing to change my opinion tonight!!
He was anonymous and the game was passing him by.
The American system appears to produce a conveyor belt of anonymous players who are competent enough but devoid of real flair, presence or personality on the park.

I’m failing to see where the hysteria is coming from here? Thought he had a steady enough game last night.
I think people are frustrated that we’ve not made the team any better in this window, and it appears, for some anyway, that Sands is a focus for that frustration.

He’s barely started yet so we need to give him plenty of time. With others coming back I expect him to drop out and make appearances from the bench more often than starting, which will allow him the time and space to settle. Then we can make a proper judgement on him.

He did absolutely nothing wrong. The issue is playing both Sands and Kamara. Neither of them offer a goal threat and it would appear Kamara gets a nose bleed anytime he gets in or around penalty area.

Midfield has to be Kamara Aribo and Arfield for majority of games.

Reactions: fmp
I think people are frustrated that we’ve not made the team any better in this window, and it appears, for some anyway, that Sands is a focus for that frustration.

He’s barely started yet so we need to give him plenty of time. With others coming back I expect him to drop out and make appearances from the bench more often than starting, which will allow him the time and space to settle. Then we can make a proper judgement on him.
It’s posts like we don’t need that type of player in 90% of games etc I don’t get.

Busquets for example was a key component in the Barcelona side that was regarded as the best ever.

There has to be balance to a team.

So fans talk a post utter drivel?
Where is the like button?

I'm not going to be overly critical but I've not seen anything to get excited about, nothing really stands out in his two appearances. Its very early though so time will tell, I'll give it time and perhaps we've not seen him in his best role.
I do remember some were critical of Kamara early on and look how that turned out though I must say I liked what I saw from the start with him.

I would like to see us sign players who can hit the ground running, we are at a critical point in the season, weakened through injury and a sale possibly two, unless its a fantastic young prospect we are speculating on the signings need to improve us now. Our main competition signed players to come into their starting 11 and contribute immediately albeit we don't know how good they are long term.

He didn't do anything wrong and it was his second game after shipping in from the USA. The idea that this guy should be judged already is absolutely bonkers. He wasn't the worst player in our team last night be a long way but is to be binned already???

People are taking their frustrations out on the wrong guy. It’s not his fault he’s being asked to play one of the 2 dm roles. We shouldn’t be playing 2 dm’s at home against bottom half teams in the league. It needs to be Kamara or sands and Gio needs to realise this. He performed the dm role well but it’s not his fault he’s not an attacking midfielder.

He did absolutely nothing wrong. The issue is playing both Sands and Kamara. Neither of them offer a goal threat and it would appear Kamara gets a nose bleed anytime he gets in or around penalty area.

Midfield has to be Kamara Aribo and Arfield for majority of games.
Kamara‘s what seems like point bank refusal to shoot when in the penalty box is a massive frustration for me.
He seems to take the idea of losing possession too far, rather hold the ball than give away a goal kick.
There was an instance last week against the sheep where he had could have shot from inside the box, maybe he had one opponent to clear, but decided to pass the ball back ten yards.
Ten seconds later, the sheep had a shot at goal.
I can’t think of a more frustrating player in these circumstances.

Back