Sands

Was Sands not brought to Rangers as he is a utility player and he can also play as a defender at Centre Back? We haven't seen him in that position yet.

We all like to see a new Rangers player hit the ground running but many players need a settling in phase. Some on FF really need to have a bit of patience and give the lad a chance.

Boys just moved from America, played one half decent game and quiet tonight and there's threads about him? I cant believe the amount of fucking rockets in our support.
There was a thread made after his first game aswell. This second one seems like the OP wanting to prove he was right. Several players were poor in the last 2 games. Why keep pointing at a boy who's young and has just come from a different continent. Give the boy a chance.

I will admit I have hardly noticed him so far however no way I am making any kind of judgement, he must get time to settle in a league that is totally alien to him.

I had the same feeling when I first saw Lundstram but just thought he wasn’t match fit!!

far too soon to judge, and I haven't seen anything that got me out of my seat in either game, But the manager is a better judge of a player than *checks notes* everyone on this thread.

Let's see how he is at the end of March?

Shut this thread down and get a grip! He’s played 2 games and looked a tidy player who’s been told to sit and protect the defence.

I imagine the game in the good ole US of A is entirely different from an SPFL game. He'll probably need time to adapt even though the management team seem to rate him.

He looks a good player.

A defensive midfielder isn't going to look great at home to Livingston. Especially when we are playing with two.

He's not going to be an exciting 10 goal a season midfielder and he isn't meant to be.

That’s pretty grudging of you!
It’s the standard of opposition we face in Scottish football each week?
Grudging? I can't agree.
My position on Sands is this,it's far too early to make a definitive judgement...but... my initial impression is more negative than positive. He's failed to impress thus far. That's not to say that he won't prove to be a good signing as time progresses but I think I'm more likely to be right than wrong in this case.

People want to be the first ones to say "called it" when a player doesn't succeed. Why they need to do this is beyond me. For them if they're wrong, they probably chuckle at their temporarily stupidity then move on to the next target without learning a thing. While the player who should be getting more support in the first place has to win these absolute oddballs over, the toxic negativity that comes from people like that permeates group chats, pub and bus discussions and pretty much eventually into the stands. I don't get it. If they're wrong, they don't reflect on the experience. I realize it's always been the way but I would like it if these people were called out for being emotionally stunted more often.

Grudging? I can't agree.
My position on Sands is this,it's far too early to make a definitive judgement...but... my initial impression is more negative than positive. He's failed to impress thus far. That's not to say that he won't prove to be a good signing as time progresses but I think I'm more likely to be right than wrong in this case.
Okay!
I’ve just never understood the need to write a player off after, for me, less than half a season.
Two games though is feckin vulgar.

I don’t know what’s worse, the people who’ve written him off already or the people who are arguing he’s been MOTM.

His performances and stats have been very poor, but it’s very very early days. And that’s about it.

I don’t know what’s worse, the people who’ve written him off already or the people who are arguing he’s been MOTM.

His performances and stats have been very poor, but it’s very very early days. And that’s about it.
Even that is subjective.

He's a young man that has moved thousand of miles to play for us. I will give him time to settle and get used to his new team mates before I judge him.

Given that his main strength by his own admission is to break up opposition attacks and then give the ball to guys who make things happen we can see the problem so far.

1 - no one has really attacked us other than by big punts into the box from free kicks

2 - there isn't currently a player he has played with "give the ball to"

Too many spectators and customers in our support today.

My thoughts during the first half were that Sands is a tidy player, nothing fancy just always available for a pass and constantly moving around the pitch to break things up. However it was obvious we didn't need both him and Kamara doing the same same role against Livingston and a more attacking midfielder was required. Kamara is the better of the two so Sands was always going to be the one subbed.

Sands seems to be the ready made target for the boo-boys when Lundstram doesn’t play or moves on.

He’s on an 18month loan with an option. Very obviously a signing with an eye on the future yet it’s “bizarre” because we don’t desperately need him right now. No doubt the same people would be crying that Wilson isn’t “earning his corn” if he wasn’t planning for positions in the future.

I had the same feeling when I first saw Lundstram but just thought he wasn’t match fit!!
Aye he’s been a bit hit and miss but also had people on his back from day one.

That means you’ll be right about everything based on a feeling from now on.

Aye he’s been a bit hit and miss but also had people on his back from day one.

That means you’ll be right about everything based on a feeling from now on.
I know you are teasing mate but I’ve had a bit of a knack over the years of being able to see if a player is a bit of a duffer pretty early in they’re playing career with us.

I suspect Sands will develop and we will probably not see the best of him until next season when he is fully up to speed with the way we play and he has developed the confidence to demand the ball in tight situation.

Its far too early to judge.

But the whole 'hes a defensive midfielder, how can he impress?' is utter nonsense. Same stuff was levelled at Lundstram when he played in the 6 and was gash.

There are plenty ways for a defensive midfielder to impress, no matter the opposition or tactics.

I will admit I have hardly noticed him so far however no way I am making any kind of judgement, he must get time to settle in a league that is totally alien to him.
Of course he should, and he will, but it's human nature to form an impression on what you've just watched. In fact it's an impossibility not to.

People want to be the first ones to say "called it" when a player doesn't succeed. Why they need to do this is beyond me. For them if they're wrong, they probably chuckle at their temporarily stupidity then move on to the next target without learning a thing. While the player who should be getting more support in the first place has to win these absolute oddballs over, the toxic negativity that comes from people like that permeates group chats, pub and bus discussions and pretty much eventually into the stands. I don't get it. If they're wrong, they don't reflect on the experience. I realize it's always been the way but I would like it if these people were called out for being emotionally stunted more often.

Starting a thread to say "look at me, I was right!" two games into the Rangers career of a player is egotistical fannybaws behaviour of an extreme nature.

It might, or might not work out for the player. In the event that it doesn't, the OP can start another thread to remind us just how prescient his initial hot take was.

Its far too early to judge.

But the whole 'hes a defensive midfielder, how can he impress?' is utter nonsense. Same stuff was levelled at Lundstram when he played in the 6 and was gash.

There are plenty ways for a defensive midfielder to impress, no matter the opposition or tactics.
Breaking up play isn’t going to catch peoples attention like a player skipping past people and crossing into the box, therefore it’s more likely that type of player will take longer to stand out and be noticed. He’s played 2 games.

Starting a thread to say "look at me, I was right!" two games into the Rangers career of a player is egotistical fannybaws behaviour of an extreme nature.

It might, or might not work out for the player. In the event that it doesn't, the OP can start another thread to remind us just how prescient his initial hot take was.
And if they get 100 wrong and 1 right, you know which one they'll remember. As I said, oddball behaviour.

Our option to buy...
How much we talking?
£0.5m?, £1m?, £2m?................£5m?

What scale of a player are we watching here?

Written off after two games. I've been on here so long, I'm not even surprised any more.
Not really sure anyone is writing him off? It's early days and there is plenty of time for him to become a good player for Rangers.

It would be a bit pointless to lie though and claim he has done anything of note in the 2 games he has played so far.

Our option to buy...
How much we talking?
£0.5m?, £1m?, £2m?................£5m?

What scale of a player are we watching here?
After playing 2 games, I don't think anyone can make a judgement on that.

Although a number of people have done that on here already

If he was 21 and had just come through the youth system there would probably be a thread saying how well he’s done in his first two games.

Give the boy some time to settle.

Sands makes complete sense .

He has potential - hes on a 18 month loan and we get to have a proper look .

Our midfield is due an overhaul very soon

kamara and Aribo - could potentially leave either this window of the next

Davis and Arfield - close to the end

Jack not reliable

Very quickly sandy becomes invaluable

True there's that as well (being different types of players) but sometimes with players who don't hit the ground running you can see the talent or that they're on the cusp and it might just take some time to gel in and click but with some players you just see nothing from the off, like it's a straight-up flatness or the game bypasses them.

Sands for me is like Rossiter - young midfielder came highly-rated but shows nothing of any substance (so far, gotta stress).
I see what you are saying here, the question should be is he capable of being something of quality in that position? Have we seen enough of that yet to determine. As far as starts go he’s already doing better than his hopeful predecessor in that position.

I think we need to face up to the truth and accept that a significant section of our fanbase is utterly toxic. For me it's one of the biggest challenges we face as a club. The state of some of the guys at Ibrox on Wednesday. They don't deserve a successful team to support, let's be honest.

I thought his forward ball through midfield in the run up to the goal we scored against Aberdeen was very positive.

He's been involved against kick and rush team playing their Cup final and a very organised livi team. I think he's done fine. We had so many first team players out against livi it was going to be difficult.

Looks a safety first type

Can’t beat a man can’t thread a ball through isn’t big isn’t strong isn’t quick not seen him intercept balls not seen him bully anyone not got a high work rate doesn’t make angles for passes

Can’t see anything that will make him stand out to be honest

After playing 2 games, I don't think anyone can make a judgement on that.

Although a number of people have done that on here already
I'm not asking for judgement, I'm asking if anyone has any idea of what kind of option to buy price we are looking at - that's all.

2 different players entirely.

And one has been in and around the club for years. Ok not the first team but Still.
Yes but you can see Lowry has ability

Even if you are defensive type you would expect interceptions tackles reading of the game ability to dictate tempo of the game not seen a thing like that

It’s an 18 month loan deal not to buy, we are developing a player that is not going to be ours after the loan deal, so yes it is baffling imo.
More baffling is the rubbish spouted on here. We have an option to buy!

For those that didn't see him on Wednesday night - in the first 20 minutes he had more touches than anyone else bar Salaka and never gave the ball away. He also broke up two attackers, one on the edge of the box. People on here don't understand the game. His job is to protect the back 4 and retain the ball.

Back