So, Eintracht Frankfurt. What do we know about them?

Went to see them in 2019 - team has changed considerably since then but their fans were decent, loud and quite boisterous.

Kamada and Kostic are very good.
They were absolutely phenomenal that campaign and genuinely unlucky not to make the final that year.

Absolutely mental fanbase that will travel in number and probably match us in terms of numbers in Seville (easier for them than us to get there).

They don't have the same quality they had back then but a very good side who finished 1 point of the champions league places last year.

Make no bones about it They are a quality side who can hurt us, especially if we are over confident. Kamada, Kostic, ndicka, sow, lindstrom, borre are all quality players and would leave frankfurt for far more than we could afford.

Basically don't take them lightly, they will just as up for this as us and it will be just as special for them as it us.

They should be slight favs. They are unbeaten in the tournament, won their group then knocked out Betis, Barca and West Ham. Their league position is not reflective of their ability.
It is.

They are very much a Jekyll and Hyde team, they beat Bayern when they had a massive covid outbreak so don’t read to much into that.

They rely purely on Kostic, if u stop him then u stop them

In terms of their key players and strengths/weaknesses etc. I’ll admit to being pretty clueless on them so wanting to get to know more about them.

Crucially, do they have anyone suspended for the final or out injured that will help us?

Gio will have them watched in their remaining games and sit with our players watching their other Europa games which I'm sure he did with our previous opponents.

Trapp, Hinteregger, Hauge, Sow, Kostic, Borre, Kamada - a terrific core to their team. "Hinti" being out is a big miss for them.

They love a big occasion and will be dangerous, mostly on the counter. If Tav, Goldson and Lundstram get to grips with Kostic, Borre and Sow from the off we will win, of that I have no doubt. If we start slow and allow them to build momentum, could be a tight night.

All things considered I'm calling 3-1 the good guys.

Kostic is probably their most dangerous player. Plays LM and has a great left foot. Ndicka is a bit raw but is pacey, tall and athletic. Sow is a box to box midfielder. Again tall and athletic.

Hinteregger definitely out and Lindstrom is also injured and hopefully misses out.

Do t know much about them apart from the doing they gave us in the European Cup a few months before I was born in 1960

Don’t think we’ve played them since so I want revenge

Not gonna lie I feel like we're far too confident - probably for good reason - but you don't get to the final if you don't have something about you. Last season they finished 5th above Leverkusen and as we all seen ourselves, Leverkusen were no mugs.

It will be a very tough tie and they'll be up for it. Anything less than our A game and we'll be in for some trouble. Still a very tough tie and is no means a given.

Not gonna lie I feel like we're far too confident - probably for good reason - but you don't get to the final if you don't have something about you. Last season they finished 5th above Leverkusen and as we all seen ourselves, Leverkusen were no mugs.

It will be a very tough tie and they'll be up for it. Anything less than our A game and we'll be in for some trouble. Still a very tough tie and is no means a given.

Really tough. We can 100% do it, but we will need a Europa home and away combined. I would rather have had West Ham tbh. Nothing will ever surprise me with this team though.

They're capable of transitioning and attacking at great pace, seem to get a lot of numbers forward quickly when doing so.

Their defence seems like it can be got at. So it's whether we can take advantage of that.

I think a few of their opponents have underestimated them and not really had a plan to address their countering which I think we will.

Spoke to a West Ham fan last night who reckons they aren't as good as Seville or Lyon. They like to play on the counter attack & are well organised in defence.
Seems to be the chat. Think if we score early they’ll struggle, just based on what people are saying and the extended highlights I’ve seen of them

Do t know much about them apart from the doing they gave us in the European Cup a few months before I was born in 1960

Don’t think we’ve played them since so I want revenge
see post #77

Less than eighteen months after that game you mention, both Rangers and Eintracht Frankfurt were invited to take part in a showpiece game for the inauguration of Floodlights at Hampden Park on Oct 18th 1961.
A staggering crowd of 104,697 paid to witness this event. They won 3-2.
I believe that this might well still be a record attendance for a friendly match.
We played them again in a preseason friendly at Ibrox in Aug 67' and beat them 5-3.
Three Ibrox debutants scored our five goals (Ferguson 3, Persson Penman).

It's hard to get a read on them, most of the time in highlights they are just springing counter attacks, so I'm guessing that is their primary threat, rather than incisive posession football like a Leverkusen or Dortmund. I found on some website that they are ranked #1 in bundesliga for pressing, but no idea if that's just a made up stat or how someone would even rank that, but it does seem to be their main attacking principle, press then counter

Hinteregger seems like he will be a big miss for them, some places rank him either 2nd or 3rd best player in their team

I think we will be trying to counter them just as much as they do with us, seems like a cert that this will be a very scrappy and physical game

Started the season with two losses then six draws and they’ve only won three of their last eleven but as we know they’ve saved their best for Europe. Still, we should have enough to get past them.

The boy up front Borre is ex River Plate I'm sure and was banging them in a few years back when they won Copa Libertadores I'm sure?

The guy Hinteregger is out. Not sure if he is any good or not, but from a quick google he appears to be a starter, so can only be a good thing.

Watched highlights of both West Ham games v Eintracht. At the London stadium, Franfurt were very dangerous and ripped through the Hammers defence and came away with a decent victory. In Germany, after the red card, they relaxed and waited for a break through, which inevitably came. On reflection, now glad it’s Eintracht, as I would expect both sets of fans will respect one another. WH might have ended up a right barny.

They have nothing to lose just like us. Will be very dangerous.

Their league season is basically over - they can’t qualifying for Europe so this is their last chance. Obviously the chance of a major European trophy being the number 1 priority.

I expect a different team to both Dortmund and RB Leipzig. More physical, aggressive, direct. Backed by a vocal support.

Last edited:
They are a strange one. They havent won a domestic game since the 13th March yet have been brilliant in Europe.

If they are indeed a counter attacking side I expect Gio to set up to nullify and frustrate them as he did against Leipzig. Sacrificing Wright to release Tav made us a much more dangerous side, with Kamara double teaming kent on the other side which allowed Barasic to act as extra protection…Leipzig hardly laid a glove on us and this was a team that vanquished a very decent Betis and CL achievers Atalanta, counter attacking the shit out of both away from Germany.

Gio is a very shrewd tactician and will have a plan on how best to contain their counter attacking abilities. I feel very optimistic about this final as, and I loved Walter, I don’t think Gio will fear anyone preferring to set up the team to win…We have a right to fear no team at this level, respect yes, fear no.

I saw them beat us 6-3at Ibrox before they ran into Real Madrid at Hampden. I now it was 60 years ago but the memories are still there, We had a proper affinity with them and we asked them to open the Hampden lights some years later.

I still believe that there is still a fondness between the clubs as you can see from the respectful andpleasant greetings from them.
And 6-1 in Frankfurt. They were a great team but met probably the best Real side of all time

Frankfurt struggled against 10 man west ham on Thursday, they may be a decent team, but I really believe rangers will be too much for them, that is my honest opinion

What`s in the past is in the past, no matter whom they or we beat along the way.

They have probably geared most of this year on a decent EL run, as any real BL targets have - once again - long since gone. They are one of them mid-table teams that rise every other season above their own "mediocrity" (by BL standards), reach a cup final or challenge for European places.

This season, much like us, they sussed out their European opponents and got through via hard work and some players excelling. The Borre chap was actually on our (free) transfer list last summer, before he went to the more attractive BL. We have beaten better teams, yet, as people have pointed out, Eintracht is operating similarly to us, ability- and quality-wise. If we play anywhere close to a level that we have shown at Ibrox (sic!) against Braga or Leipzig, there us every chance that we can beat them. We need to be wary of what you usually like to call "teutonic efficiency", as Eintracht will probably not shine as a football team, but be ruthless nonetheless.

Their support, not least many of the chaps going to Seville, is as notorious as it gets. So be prepared to meet more "ultras" and "hooligans" than from any other German team.

Eintracht Frankfurt on Transfermarkt

Watched highlights of both West Ham games v Eintracht. At the London stadium, Franfurt were very dangerous and ripped through the Hammers defence and came away with a decent victory. In Germany, after the red card, they relaxed and waited for a break through, which inevitably came. On reflection, now glad it’s Eintracht, as I would expect both sets of fans will respect one another. WH might have ended up a right barny.

I think you might find the opposite mate. Frankfurt will bring way more fans than West Ham would have and have a sizeable ultra/hooligan element.

They are a good team, reminds me a lot of us under Gerrard. At their best on the counter with breaking runners from midfield and the danger men on the flanks. Also very physical, they can mix it up if needed. Kostic is probably their stand out player, but Borre up top is also a dangerous striker who can find the back of the net.

Two big weaknesses though. In possession they aren't the best. They prefer creating by winning the second ball and countering. Lots of dangerous crosses rather than cutting teams open after long passing moves. Compact and organised and they won't get through (West Ham fans bemoaned losing the early goal for this reason).

Second is defensively. They concede a lot. In part because they push their wing backs up, exploit that and it's game on. But also in general, they are the kind of team to sometimes struggle with a simple long ball or a fast runner. Hinte is likely their best defender, him being out of an already shaky defence is huge.

They are tough and fully capable of punishing us. But if we are on our game we have the quality to beat them. Tav vs Kostic will be the big match up, Goldson's raking balls will terrify them and if we can keep Kent in a dangerous area there is a good chance for us to stop them from playing their usual game.

It'll be close. Can see both teams scoring. Reckon it will come down to who handles the pressure and turns up.

I have full faith in Gio to come up with a game plan to win, i wouldn't have said that 4-5 weeks ago but something has changed quite significantly since the defeat to them at Ibrox.

They are unbeaten in the Europa League this season. This is going to be very tough but we can rise to the challenge. Play the youths in the league fixtures and give the boys a much needed rest.
Will be a tough challenge but everyone has to lose at some point and it just feels like it’s our year to go all the way

Back