No Drinking On Renfe Trains

Always the same whoppers giving it their buzz killington routine.
Fair point mate but some folk can't handle it and ruin the journey for everyone else. They would be far better selling decent normal strength beer and wine imo and not having folk filling up their own bottles with various stuff.

Fair point mate but some folk can't handle it and ruin the journey for everyone else. They would be far better selling decent normal strength beer and wine imo and not having folk filling up their own bottles with various stuff.
I agree, but this whole " if you can't handle two hours without a drink then you have a problem" line is so frustrating. Just because you might want a beer doesn't mean you can't go without.

I'm probably going to wait until i get to Seville before i start on the beers. My cab is booked for 3.30am to take me to Heathrow on Wednesday morning, if i start drinking too early i'll miss the game or not remember it

Yeah can normally buy a beer On the train. I’m not a spirit drinker so was hoping for a few cans on the train, not the end of the world if it’s a no goer this week though.
There's actually stand up bars on the Ave like the olden day buffet carriages here. wonder if this is just this week?

I agree, but this whole " if you can't handle two hours without a drink then you have a problem" line is so frustrating. Just because you might want a beer doesn't mean you can't go without.
Agree with that mate. Also treating folk like scum rarely works. If you don't have a drink on the train you'll just get more blootered on arrival. I'd be handing out free or very cheap grub to folk drinking

Agree with that mate. Also treating folk like scum rarely works. If you don't have a drink on the train you'll just get more blootered on arrival. I'd be handing out free or very cheap grub to folk drinking
I always think the approach should be let the adults enjoy themselves and arrest any trouble makers. No reason why the majority should be punished due to the few.

Seriously? Adults need to be given free food. FFS. It’s beginning to sound like we’re a nation of alkies. Have a drink, go on the train, have a drink when you get off.

I always think the approach should be let the adults enjoy themselves and arrest any trouble makers. No reason why the majority should be punished due to the few.
Fair enough when you have loads of Plod to hand mind ain't it, bit different on Trains and Planes. I can see why they ban booze on both at times and I drink on them both. Personally I have gone off going Spanish Football as I know I can't get a beer in the Ground now, used to be top having one and it was crap other month in Poland when I got on a Train from Warsaw to Krakow with 8 cans and was then told it's no alcohol on Trains there. Things are changing all the time on the drinking front on Trains in some nations.

Fair enough when you have loads of Plod to hand mind ain't it, bit different on Trains and Planes. I can see why they ban booze on both at times and I drink on them both. Personally I have gone off going Spanish Football as I know I can't get a beer in the Ground now, used to be top having one and it was crap other month in Poland when I got on a Train from Warsaw to Krakow with 8 cans and was then told it's no alcohol on Trains there. Things are changing all the time on the drinking front on Trains in some nations.
I've never had a drink in a Spanish ground, only the non alcoholic shandy type stuff. There were stalls outside the ground selling cans is that still allowed?

Surprised at Krakow, seemed to be a drink where and when you like attitude when we were there.

I've never had a drink in a Spanish ground, only the non alcoholic shandy type stuff. There were stalls outside the ground selling cans is that still allowed?

Surprised at Krakow, seemed to be a drink where and when you like attitude when we were there.

Yeah they have them but you can't take them in, I think it was around 2010 then stopped serving proper beer in top 2 tiers in Spain. In lower ones you have can have a proper drink, some Clubs basically have a cafe/bar pitchside with seats etc in full view of the pitch.

I was surprised with Poland, never thought of it at all. Other week in Sweden I learnt you can only alcohol bought from the buffet car, can't take your own on board - Sweden has many funny laws about alcohol sales mind. Plenty of match day services are dry in England at Football as well, must admit I wouldn't bother going if I had to do that for say 3 hours each way - that would probably be enforced if Old Firm ever joined English League end of day as well I expect.

Yeah mate then got a train booked from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Cordoba then onto Seville
cool will look out for you. me and one of my cubs on that flight then on 1150 train from atocha to seville. have also booked the 3pm train which is cancellable incase flight is late.

cool will look out for you. me and one of my cubs on that flight then on 1150 train from atocha to seville. have also booked the 3pm train which is cancellable incase flight is late.

My train is at 12.35 so hopefully we are on time. There's 4 ways of getting from airport to train station. Cab €35 30mins, Train €4 and 33 mins, Metro €5 and 40 mins, Bus €5 and an hour.

Does anyone know if we miss our train will we be able to use the tickets the next day?
Our flight gets into Madrid at 7.20 and the train is 9pm, but I've seen talk it can take 1-2 hours to get through passport control at Madrid. Now worried we've spent a fortune on train tickets and going to miss the train.

Does anyone know if we miss our train will we be able to use the tickets the next day?
Our flight gets into Madrid at 7.20 and the train is 9pm, but I've seen talk it can take 1-2 hours to get through passport control at Madrid. Now worried we've spent a fortune on train tickets and going to miss the train.
i dont believe so unless you go for the more expensive ticks. could be wrong though

You buy the ticket for the time of the train on the ticket, not a scotrail affair where you buy an “on” or “off” peak and you can just jump on as and when you please.

My train is at 12.35 so hopefully we are on time. There's 4 ways of getting from airport to train station. Cab €35 30mins, Train €4 and 33 mins, Metro €5 and 40 mins, Bus €5 and an hour.
The train station is in terminal 4 so unless you are arriving there, it is probably quicker to get the 5 EUR yellow airport bus

I was meant to be on high speed train from Madrid to Malaga (tomorrow) and back again Thursday, but managed to chang flights today to get to Malaga tonight so won’t be on them now. Looked in app on how to cancel train tickets, but do not see option

I've just been through Madrid and it took just over an hour at passport control. Got the yellow shuttle bus outside the terminal that took 25 mins to get to Atocha.

I was meant to be on high speed train from Madrid to Malaga (tomorrow) and back again Thursday, but managed to chang flights today to get to Malaga tonight so won’t be on them now. Looked in app on how to cancel train tickets, but do not see option
Was it a fully flexible fare you booked?

Cheers mate, but not what my stress levels needed to hear!
I know what you mean. I had 2 and a half hours between landing and my train leaving and I was stressing when I saw the size of the queue. It does move at a decent pace though. There's taxis right outside the terminal too which I imagine would get you there in 15-20 mins if you're struggling.

I've got 5 1/2 hours across 2 trains on Tuesday, was looking to have a quite beer on the journey. Not drinking Wednesday so this was my day out.

So can I buy on board, both trains are fast / bullet trains ?

Troops, if we buy a carry out in Madrid will we get it on the train on Wednesday morning? Not even that bothered about sparking it open, it was in case Seville is dry by the time we get there!

It's the folk who haven't booked who are in for a shock.

Must have a pre booked ticket, no standing, a guard in every carriage.
If there is a guard in every carriage then there will be no drinking. Remember being on the train a few years ago and boy had his feet up on the seat. Guard told him to take his feet of the seat, boy started to give the guard some cheek and the guard proceeded to batter fcuk out the guy with a wooden baton. He knocked the hit right out the guy right there and then in a carriage full of witnesses.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to wait until i get to Seville before i start on the beers. My cab is booked for 3.30am to take me to Heathrow on Wednesday morning, if i start drinking too early i'll miss the game or not remember it
Sensible. Why are people drinking on a Monday 3 days before kick off? Madness. Enjoy it by all means but screw the nut a bit surely so that you actually remember the place

Troops, if we buy a carry out in Madrid will we get it on the train on Wednesday morning? Not even that bothered about sparking it open, it was in case Seville is dry by the time we get there!
That's what we are planning
My mate says we need to buy it the night before as you can't buy alcohol untill about 10
Our train is at 9

How strict are they about having to sit in your allocated seats.

There's 4 of us on the Malaga to Seville train tomorrow, 2 of us are together and the other two are in different seats. Hoping to all sit together.

How strict are they about having to sit in your allocated seats.

There's 4 of us on the Malaga to Seville train tomorrow, 2 of us are together and the other two are in different seats. Hoping to all sit together.
The trains are sold out so unlikely unless you swap with the people who are meant to be sitting there.

Back