Do we stick or twist?

Artudul_Dodge

A few months ago with the title slipping away, many of here were lamenting that we didn't sell our best players last Summer when their value was at their peak. With the run in the Europa, a number of players values will be up again this Summer.

Do we cash in on this and rebuild a fresh team with hopefully a higher ceiling? That would likely involve selling our best players, bringing in promising but cheaper young players, whilst the club pockets some of the money to stabilise the clubs finances. The risk there though is with a rebuild we probably would have less chance of getting through the CL qualifiers and could be quite far behind in the league before the new players start clicking.

Or do we stick what we have got. That would probably increase our chances of getting into the CL group stage, pocketing the cash from it, whilst also increase chance of winning the league. The risk there is that if we fail to do that, the players values will likely drop substantially and the club finances would be under real strain. Unlikely to have much spare cash to improve the side from where we are.

It's probably worth noting that for all the stick the scum get about their spending, they actually brought more money into the club then they spent last summer, whilst improving their team significantly (albeit from a lower base than ours).

Its not really a choice thats ours to make unfortunately. Too many players are entering the final year of their contract. They can't be allowed to leave for free so we either secure them on new deals or we have to sell. And last night is the end for Aribo and Kamara for me. Anonymous for much of the game when you need big players to stand up.

There has to be changes.

Sell and reinvest. Give Gio his own players and let him take control, obviously a few guys out of contract and leaving but I think we’ll sell a few as well.

Time for a rebuild, as mentioned above. No place for sentimentality I am afraid. Many of the players go with our best wishes no doubt, but we need new and better.

Cash in and rebuild. Gio has to be given a proper go at it with his team, the fact he’s taken us to last night with Gerrard’s team is quite remarkable in itself given how we looked in Europe prior to his arrival.

In hindsight this particular group should have been refreshed last summer but the previous manager didn’t want to and by all accounts requested players were kept. Personally think it was the wrong move and it would have been the best time to refresh

Unquestionably time to move at least 3 on. I love these players, but some of them will never be able to reach the levels (emotional) required to again achieve what we have this year and last. It's not a slight on them as characters, it's merely a comment (my unqualified opinion) on human nature.

For a team that (in numbers) hasn't actually won much, they have given us some incredibly happy moments playing, at times, some wonderful football. But football works in cycles in many ways, not least squads.

It's time.

Last night was the end for a lot of this team I suspect.

If we had won and made the CL then perhaps a few more might have signed back on but that's gone now.

We need to freshen up - the core of this squad has been together 4 years now and it's time to move on.

These last four years in Europe have been amazing. Some of the best nights of my life.

But I feel now it is time for a refresh.

7 of the players who played last night started against Ufa back in 2018.

Going to be an interesting summer ahead but it is now defo time to change it up.

As proud as I am about this team’s efforts, it’s unfortunately ran it’s course.
We have to rebuild this pre-season. But I’m sure GvB knows that.

Sad to think that this group of players (Goldson, Shagger, Davis and possibly Kent, Aribo and Morelos) are going to deliver one league championship and possibly one Scottish cup.

So much more potential than that and should have delivered more trophies.

We need to manage a "controlled" squad transition. This group of players have a mentality that has served us very well in Europe, and the sum has been greater than its parts (especially when you consider our general lack of consistency in Europe pre-Gerrard, even when we had a much higher valued squad).

We need to be careful not to rip the guts out of it by moving on too many players in one window, and risking European failure next season. Especially as - even with money from player sales - it would result in us being a bit more desperate in the transfer market if we've got to identify and sign 5+ first teamers at once. We don't want panic buys on the last day of the window.

It seems a natural end-point for a lot of these players.

Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Goldson - these guys have ceilinged with us. They may become better players elsewhere, but we’ve seen the best we’re going to see from them in our side.

Cash in and reinvest. Build a new side.

Cash in 100%. Then buy sensibly like they did last summer and Jan.

McGregor, Goldson, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Kent all at the end of their cycle with the club. Cash in on them all (minus those OOC) and spend £25/30m early this summer to give Gio time to work with his players.

A lot looked disengaged for most of the season and had sort of tapped out, it took the possibility of a European final to reengage a lot of them

reality is for a lot of them the buzz of what they can achieve is likely gone

Kent for the money we paid and the wages he's on doesn't give us nearly enough on a consistent basis.

Not sure I'd be up for giving him more money TBH.
I don’t disagree, but I’m old enough to remember all the bitching & whining about Cooper’s inconsistency - it’s a winger’s lot. I think he did enough (though agree could do more) to keep him. Understand that many would take cash for him.

Cash in on any player going into the final year of their contract not able to extend.

We run at loss currently, we cannot afford anymore Goldson’s. That includes Morelos, if he doesn’t sign this summer, sell and rebuild.

I think we will still have the crux of a very good squad to build upon despite the exodus and more continuity than most expect. McGlaughlin, Tav, Souttar, Bassey (if we can somehow keep him as he will be in high demand imo), Barisic, Lundstram, Jack, Wright, Hagi, Sakala, Alfie (I personally think he will stay) assuming McGregor and Davis retire and Aribo, Goldson, Kent, Kamara, Ramsey and Diallo move on. Upgrade a few key areas with genuine quality and utilise the youths more regularly as the back ups in unison with more experienced players like Roofe etc and I think we will be fine tbh.

We need to refresh the squad. Short of lundstram, bassey and tavernier, I'd say I'd be pretty much open to offers for anyone else. Not a go at the players, just a lot tbere that have ran their race with us and achieved all they're probably going to. Time for the club and the players to move on to something new.

A few of our squad seemed to struggle to motivate themselves domestically this season, it will be even worse next season if we don’t freshen up considerably

This is the summer we need to get our trading model fully operational

This squad have definitely taken us as far as they can, with 55 and a Europa League Final being their pinnacle. Definitely needs freshened up with quality in key positions. Potentially looking at half of the team, or more leaving this summer. The only issue really is the short time frame in which to do so prior to the Champions League qualifiers.

Team has reached its peak, needs shaken up, some guys have bright futures and money to be made outwith Scotland, some guys are winding down and can't be asked to go another full season.

Gio deserves to make his mark, bring in his own players, just need to get business done quick and be ready for qualifiers

There has to be balance to what we do. We can’t sell everyone and buy a full new team. These players have also done incredible things for us and whilst we definitely need a significant refresh, we shouldn’t write them all off. Bringing some freshness to the squad may kickstart others. The contract situations obviously have to be addressed.

Everyone is for sale ,tbh we have been stale for a few windows, and as much as I love the squad and their overacheviement.

Gio has to be allowed a budget to progress and refresh. In all honesty the board should have given him the budget last window, but there is a load of threads on that.

We absolutely cash in, strategically.

Certain players like Kamara, Aribo and Barisic we can get money for and should move on.

Likes of Kent, Bassey, Lundstram we need to keep. Definitely need more of a turnover this year and some proper ‘quality’ brought in.

Natural end of the road for a good chunk of the team, tav bassey lowry King lundstram hagi morelos are the only players a would be gutted about losing the rest a could accept for the right money

Cash in and rebuild. Gio has to be given a proper go at it with his team, the fact he’s taken us to last night with Gerrard’s team is quite remarkable in itself given how we looked in Europe prior to his arrival.

In hindsight this particular group should have been refreshed last summer but the previous manager didn’t want to and by all accounts requested players were kept. Personally think it was the wrong move and it would have been the best time to refresh
Don't think it's as simple as that to be fair.

We refresh last year, we may not have made the final this year.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we have a new manager now who will want his own players in. Add in that we are forced by players being in the last year of their contracts and hopefully some big offers. We move on and hopefully qualify for CL.

It's probably worth noting that for all the stick the scum get about their spending, they actually brought more money into the club then they spent last summer, whilst improving their team significantly (albeit from a lower base than ours).
The bead rattlers will always be obsessed with keeping the biscuit tin in order.

What we need to do now is go all out & bring in 3-4 quality signings this summer to ensure we get CL groups and keep our feet on their throat

Just sell who wont sign a new deal. Can't be risking getting %^*& all for better players.

Roofe
Borna
Kamara
Jack
Maybe aribo sell
Goldson will probably go

Then theirs
Shagger and Davis who will leave.

Some money in that above.

We still have

Kent
Alfie
Tav
Lundtrum
Sakala
Bassey

Out of our regulars.

It's a rebuild but not a massive one but it's a massive job as it always is getting in the right players added with a wee bit of quality for this level.

Personally we are in a decent position.

Cash in and begin the rebuild. Not fair to ask the manager go again with the same faces especially when you consider there's key players with 12 months left on their deal.

Get the money and reinvest.
Exactly, once players have done good up here for 2 or even 1 season and they start to catch the eye elsewhere, they don’t want to sign again. I can understand to a degree chasing 55 and stopping 10 but right now the slate is wiped clean. If players start to see also that if they come up, do the business, they will get their move then this will only make us a more attractive option for the new bassey’s, ariobs of this world.

I’d see the point re CL qualification but that is by no means guaranteed and what happens if you fail? You have 2 or 3 of your high value assets seeing out their time plotting their next move. Sell with the best of wishes and look for the next crop!

Just sell who wont sign a new deal. Can't be risking getting %^*& all for better players.

Roofe
Borna
Kamara
Jack
Maybe aribo sell
Goldson will probably go

Then theirs
Shagger and Davis who will leave.

Some money in that above.

We still have

Kent
Alfie
Tav
Lundtrum
Sakala
Bassey

Out of our regulars.

It's a rebuild but not a massive one but it's a massive job as it always is getting in the right players added with a wee bit of quality for this level.

Personally we are in a decent position.
To be honest, I don’t see us making any money on roofe, barasic, or jack, that’s not to say I think they are poor, just think they are playing at the highest level they are capable and well paid for it, only options these types have (financially) is to run a contract down?

The money in our team is in kamara, Kent, Alfie, aribo & Bassey. I think 2 - 3 might go this summer and actually think the one we have the best chance of keeping is Alfie as he seems like he likes where he is?

I think a lot of these players will struggle to recover from this one. We should try to get top dollar for what we have and let Gio get in his own men.

Unquestionably time to move at least 3 on. I love these players, but some of them will never be able to reach the levels (emotional) required to again achieve what we have this year and last. It's not a slight on them as characters, it's merely a comment (my unqualified opinion) on human nature.

For a team that (in numbers) hasn't actually won much, they have given us some incredibly happy moments playing, at times, some wonderful football. But football works in cycles in many ways, not least squads.

It's time.
Great point. I'll be sad to see them go.
I think Kamara will move.
Aribo probably.
I'd keep the rest bar loans and retirement.

Sell Kent, Aribo and Kamara if we get good offers for them. Keep Alfie whatever the cost, even if we lose him for free next year. Keep the rest of the players and invest in a quality CB (unfortunately it looks like Goldson is off), a quality midfielder and a wide right player. 3 very good first team players is all we need to add, we have the spine of a team that made a europa league final, and we have the most promising group of youngsters I’ve ever seen come through.

I’d like to keep Morelos & Kent, take money for Aribo & Kamara, make a couple of big signings, and get the likes of Lowry far more central to our plans going forward.
Kent has scored two goals in the league this season.

Jota and Abada have ten goals each. That’s been the difference for me. Their attacking players are chipping in with plenty of goals.

The way we play requires Kent to hit those numbers. I fucking love the boy but the fact is I don’t think he’s what we need. He simply doesn’t score enough goals and his finishing is the worst part of his game.

Sad to think that this group of players (Goldson, Shagger, Davis and possibly Kent, Aribo and Morelos) are going to deliver one league championship and possibly one Scottish cup.

So much more potential than that and should have delivered more trophies.
Highlights why we need a refresh imo.

I can’t speak highly enough of the group of players we have but I just feel they miss that winning mentality.

It sounds harsh on them but they’ve let us down time after time in the league and cup competitions.

Back