What Would You Class as European “Success” Next Year?

xd182

I’ve seen a couple of threads asking about who we can play in CL QR3, but hopefully not repeating a thread by asking this…

What would you class as European “success” next year? Or for the next few years, for that matter.

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 4th position?

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 3rd position and drop into the Europa League?

Do you expect us to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage and finish 2nd? Then happy to be knocked out in the first knockout round?

Would you be satisfied if we got knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers like this season but had another great Europa League run?

If we go into the Europa League, would you be happy to get out the group stage again? Would you be expecting us to reach the final again? Somewhere in between?

If we dropped into the Conference League… would you expect us to win that given this years Europa League run?

Last 16 of CL or 1/4 finals of EL would be a success. Anything less would be basic run of the mill Europe for us. I'm not sure what to think of the conference yet. Feels like a remedial league for clubs who can't win anything else. At the moment the only way I feel like a success in that campaign would be actually winning the bloody thing.

Our most successful route now would have to be qualification for the CL groups and then to drop into the EL thereafter.

It gains us the most financial reward and gives us a realistic chance of success.

We are a EL team and need to just fight to stay at that level and not be sucked down to ConL level as it may be difficult to get back up there.

I’ve seen a couple of threads asking about who we can play in CL QR3, but hopefully not repeating a thread by asking this…

What would you class as European “success” next year? Or for the next few years, for that matter.

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 4th position?

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 3rd position and drop into the Europa League?

Do you expect us to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage and finish 2nd? Then happy to be knocked out in the first knockout round?

Would you be satisfied if we got knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers like this season but had another great Europa League run?

If we go into the Europa League, would you be happy to get out the group stage again? Would you be expecting us to reach the final again? Somewhere in between?

If we dropped into the Conference League… would you expect us to win that given this years Europa League run?
This is the best outcome for me.

Get the money and then back into the Europa league which is our level and let’s be honest it’s a better competition.

In fact I would happily go straight into the Europa league group stages and bye pass the champions league if we got the same money.

Qualifying for the CL and finishing 3rd

Qualifying for the Europa and topping the group (thereby missing the play off round) would stil be success.of sorts.

I think this season's shown that even if we don't have CL, there is serious gains to be made in the EL

Qualifying for the CL group stages OR another nice run in the knockout stages of the EL.

I'd be happy with either.

Group stages CL. Then 3rd and couple more rounds.

Slightly related, the final of the Conference is in Prague.
Great host city.

But at a 20,000 capacity stadium.
Uefa are facking bonkers.

Our most successful route now would have to be qualification for the CL groups and then to drop into the EL thereafter.

It gains us the most financial reward and gives us a realistic chance of success.

We are a EL team and need to just fight to stay at that level and not be sucked down to ConL level as it may be difficult to get back up there.
Dropping into EL also gives us a good chance of continuing to collect coefficient points and rise up the club rankings.

Budapest would be nice at this time of year.

Qualification for the CL and ideally finishing third making for another deep run at the Europa League.
Would bite your hand off for that.

Though if you offered me a Europa League win next season ahead of the above, I’d go for that.

So CL qualification but end up winning the EL…

Still hurt.
Hopefully CL group stages for me. Wanna take my boy to Germany or Spain.

Group stage football, be it CL or EL. Guarantees some full houses under the floodlights, some decent income. Beyond that on a regular basis is realistically a bonus.

I want the league flag back though as much as any euro run.

CL qualification or quarters of Europa
Pretty much this, get into CL, knocked out into Europa, then to 1/4 finals or semis again.

We know we can do it, that mental block of “this is our level” has passed - this year wasnt a fluke. We could easily do a Sevilla and make this competition one we can do well in for a few years IMO

Great host city.

You would think after the reaction of everyone from the Gov't down to the football authorities in that country in the aftermath of the Kamara/racism debacle, Czechoslovakia would be the last country under its control that UEFA would award a final to.

It's not bonkers, it's corrupt at best and at worst very, very sinister.

Great host city.

100000 gers mixing with slavia and sparta scumbags for 3 or 4 days....

CL group stages would be great and we should be aiming for third. A 4th place finish and a few hammerings would be deflating.

If we drop into the EL (or start there in the group stages) then I'd be looking at the last 16. It's all in the draw.

I fear that we may have a Euro hangover next season. For what I understand, though, we should at least have the EL group stages. Surely the worst of that would be 3rd and the Conference League - and then I'd be hoping to go deep into that competition.

Just to note, next season's Conference League Final is at the home of Slavia Prague. That'll be fun...

Later stages (QF) of the Europa league having dropped out of our UCL group in third.

Great host city.

Need to buy some mygers qualifying shit. Just incase.

Still hurt.
Hopefully CL group stages for me. Wanna take my boy to Germany or Spain.
I don’t want to derail the thread but I’ve got to ask.

You’ve picked the best country to visit for an away trip, Germany obviously but why would you want to take your son to without doubt the worst place for a game, fecking Spain?

I don’t want to derail the thread but I’ve got to ask.

You’ve picked the best country to visit for an away trip, Germany obviously but why would you want to take your son to without doubt the worst place for a game, fecking Spain?
Id rather take my kid to a beam back at parkhead than take them to a game in Spain.

Group stage Champions League would be a real success. 3rd place finish and Europa League would be the icing on the cake! If we don’t make the groups then a quarter final of the Europa minimum.

1. CL qualification

After that, it depends on the draw. If we're in a group of death then we likely go no further and that's fine.

If the draw is ok then I'd be aiming for Europa League last 16 again (I'd back us to beat any of the 2nd place sides in the play off) or further depending on the draw.

CL group stage and then into the CL last 16

or

CL group stage, finish 3rd and then at least EL semis

Remember that CL drop down clubs enter the EL knockouts at the last 16, and are seeded. Reaching the semis would therefore mean only having to beat two teams, the first of which would have been a 2nd placed side from one of the EL groups.

When you look at it that way, it isn’t outside the realms of possibility.

We’re a good side in Europe. We knocked out Dortmund and Leipzig and then took the team that knocked out Barcelona to a penalty shoot out in the final.

As everyone says CL groups. If we fail that we have to repeat this years heroics which seems unlikely

And to anyone just saying “CL Qualification” does this means a “successful European run” to you is winning two qualifiers in August and not winning another game? To me, two games/four legs is not a European run at all.

If we qualify, what is success in the group stages?

Back