I still wouldn't trade.

AppleBear

I know I'll likely get slaughtered by some for this but I don't care.

I still wouldn't trade our position and the memories of another incredible European run to be in their position. They've not experienced anything like the European highs we've had in 20 years of football. In that same time we've been in two European finals and the last few years especially, these have been the best times and most enjoyable moments for me.

We move onto Saturday and hopefully win a long overdue Scottish Cup and I will look back very positively on this season.

I still wouldn't trade our position and the memories of another incredible European run to be in their position. They've not experienced anything like the European highs we've had in 20 years of football. In that same time we've been in two European finals and the last few years especially, these have been the best times and most enjoyable moments for me.

We move onto Saturday and hopefully win a long overdue Scottish Cup and I will look back very positively on this season.
I genuinely wouldn't either. We are being recognised and spoken about all over Europe. Literally noone outside Scotland gives a shit that they won the SPFL.

Now I’ve had time to drink more in Madrid and reflect,it’s been a hell of ride.I’m confident I’ll see Rangers in another Euro final,I might be 50 odd going by the time cycle but I’m confident it will happen.I’ve had the best few days meeting fellow bears from across the globe and I went to a European cup final with my old man.Not many are lucky enough to experience that.

I actually agree with this
They win the league
We win the league
And so it goes on
Domestic trophies have been rare recently but we have dozens in our history and will have many many more in the years to come.
But runs and experiences like we have just had are as rare as rocking horse shit.
That night at Ibrox against Leipzig will live with me till the day I die.

Remember watching a Europa League game when we were battling our way through the lower leagues wishing for any form of it back at Ibrox. From the win against Vienna in our first group campaign to beating Leipzig to reach a final has been unbelievable.
There’s a much greater high after European nights. Unfortunately this year hasn’t ended how we wanted but to have this journey after everything the support has went through will always be very special.

That is an insane stat that doesnt get mentioned enough outwith here

And they know it. They should be lightyears away from us and competing in the Europa at least. They like to blame the board, but the fans are as much to blame as anyone - they were more than happy to be racking in the domestic trophies and pumping us 4 times a year. They became obsessed about a club they say no longer exists. Fruitcakes, the lot of them.

They win the league
We win the league
And so it goes on
Domestic trophies have been rare recently but we have dozens in our history and will have many many more in the years to come.
But runs and experiences like we have just had are as rare as rocking horse shit.
Theyve won 10 of the last 11. It's far from swinging in roundabouts is it .

I'd rather we got another league title and the guranteed UCL spot and cash than be beaten finalists.

Totally agree OP. This European run has been immense. Much better than 2008 as the games were far more enjoyable and we were top scorers in the competition.

I always thought after 2008 I wouldn’t see it again but now with the fall back of the conference league I reckon it won’t be too long a wait to get to another final.

I’ve said that for weeks now. I really don’t care that we lost the league as the final has more than made up for it! I said the same in 08 as well. Don’t get me wrong, if we’re not going all the way then of course the league is the main focus, but I see us as bigger than Scottish football, and I think the football and philosophies under Gerrard and Gio show that a lot of people in the club agree to. They may be Scottish champions but we are far and away the bigger team.

I made this very point to one of the boys I see every day with work. Yeah they’ve won the league, we’ve put the club in the spotlight of Europe and know what? We fucking showed them how good we actually are. We lost in a lottery to a team that hasn’t lost in Europe all season but the multiple highs on the road there will not be replicated.

On another note, the message I got from my best mate who is a Thistle fan at end of the match last night pretty much sums up how I’m feeling today and how lucky I think we should all feel;

“mate, thistle have never even been to a major domestic cup final, and probably won't ever in my life time. It's been a great journey, one that gave you hope and additional enjoyment in life. Proper great achievement”

They win the league
We win the league
And so it goes on
Exactly this.

Of course I want to win the league every year but we've done it so many times. The worst thing about not winning it is the fact that they get it.

If we're all being honest, Scottish football isn't the spectacle we'd like it to be and just doesn't compare to the excitement and freshness of the European challenge. We can win the league in any given year but each time we go on that big stage, it really is another level.

I'm still in Spain having did a 24hr round trip to Seville with my dad son and mates. I've had 2hrs sleep since yesterday and I'm still buzzing.

I've had time to reflect on yesterday and I still wouldn't trade it for a league title......

These memories don't die!

That is an insane stat that doesnt get mentioned enough outwith here

It gets better.

GeFVdRY_d.webp

Even though we lost the final we have achieved so much. Respect, a confidence that we can do something in Europe, Ibrox is now a ground teams will fear to come to, £25-£30m in revenue and perhaps most importantly significant co-efficient points which mean qualification draws and group draws going forward should be so much easier.

It’s raw at the moment for us all but we’ve achieved so much this year. Winning on Saturday would wrap it up nicely and allow those there to thank this group of players for their efforts.

It’s been a long few days. 21 hours travelling there, running on little sleep then having to go again straight after the game. Shattered and completely deflated, felt so much disappointment this morning but we are still on the drive home from London and as the day goes on the disappointment fades. What a season we have had, some of the best experiences at Ibrox for these European nights, I’d 100% trade the league for a chance of that again! Memories of a lifetime and an unbelievable achievement to make it to the final!

I'd rather we got another league title and the guranteed UCL spot and cash than be beaten finalists.
Then you must be very young
Maybe its an age thing
We will win the league again
Many times

Maybe its an age thing. ive seen us win 20 titles
From my perspective it is swings and roundabouts.
We will win the league again.
Many times
As will that lot.
I have only been alive for 3 european finals and aware of 2. ( 7 in 1972 and only vague memories)
I agree leagues are important
But european experiences like this season are priceless
Money, while important, isnt everything.
They will not go miles ahead of us because they are in the Champions league next season
They had 10 years to do that and failed miserably.

The run was excellent and we had a shot at European glory but all that means nothing in terms of tangible success.

Not a hope in hell I’ll ever subscribe to the ‘happy to be glorious losers’ over being a winner mentality. Give me their season over ours every year if a consolation SC (at best) is all we can muster up this season.

You'd have given up Dortmund, Braga, Belgrade and especially that night vs. Leipzig? Not for me.

This European run has done more for the club than a league title. The money has also been pretty good.

Context is a massive thing in life. In fact, it's almost all that matters.

The 10 out of the last 11 thing lacks the nuance provided by context. The Enablers love that kind of thing.

I would be genuinely interested what their highlight game of the season is? One they came out of the ground buzzing. Maybe last Saturday against motherwell when the league was already won but they would probably say the 1st half against us as the second half they weren't great when we changed it up. Europe has been amazing for us

I would be genuinely interested what their highlight game of the season is? One they came out of the ground buzzing. Maybe last Saturday against motherwell when the league was already won but they would probably say the 1st half against us as the second half they weren't great when we changed it up. Europe has been amazing for us
Probably when they beat us 3-0 at home or 2-1 away. Ultimately the two results that ensured they got over the line with the league.

The run was excellent and we had a shot at European glory but all that means nothing in terms of tangible success.

Not a hope in hell I’ll ever subscribe to the ‘happy to be glorious losers’ over being a winner mentality. Give me their season over ours every year if a consolation SC (at best) is all we can muster up this season.
Seems like a minority view, but you're entitled to it.

I didn't say anything about being a 'glorious loser'. If you want to summarise the detail, I said I'd rather be challenging for European success on that much bigger stage with exciting competition than *only* playing in a two horse race for the SPFL against that lot.

Each to their own.

Maybe its an age thing
We will win the league again
Many times

Maybe its an age thing. ive seen us win 20 titles
From my perspective it is swings and roundabouts.
We will win the league again.
Many times
As will that lot.
I have only been alive for 3 european finals and aware of 2. ( 7 in 1972 and only vague memories)
I agree leagues are important
But european experiences like this season are priceless
Money, while important, isnt everything.
They will not go miles ahead of us because they are in the Champions league next season
They had 10 years to do that and failed miserably.
I'm 30. Your right it could be an age thing. For a large chunk of living memory I've not seen us win as much domestically. It pisses me off. The Dortmund , Braga , and red star nights will always be a great memory for me. But I want more league titles . I believe most of the time the best team will win the league

Must be the heat in Seville but I'm finding myself agreeing with you on something. 100% correct.

They win the league
We win the league
And so it goes on
It's back to being a coin flip at the start of every season. We'll win the league, they'll win the league, we'll win a few, they'll win a few and so on and so on but we've shown real European progress and if we can keep it going we could be looking at these types of runs more often which would mean far more than a domestic title.

Seeing the buzz around the whole of Scotland from 08 and this year, seeing us over take these cities and turning every corner of the place Red, white and blue is something special.

As tinpot as it might sound Joe Aribo's goal will stay with me until my grave. We were so close.

That is our level, we sit at that table.
I had an amazing trip to Leipzig amongst others, a proper trains, planes (x3) and automobiles and sleeping on airport floors to get there.
My Brother done similar to get to Seville just to spend 5 hours in the City, he met my Cousin in the fanzone and that picture makes me happy. That’s memories and that’s our family, you didn’t let us down Big John. You and the boys created the most magical feelings for us all. Indescribable how the past 2 weeks have been but one day I’ll look back fondly on this time, and there will be tales recounted aplenty to the next Generation

Last night when it went to penalties, amidst the torturous mental anguish I had suffered through the past 2 hours I asked myself if I would trade the 20/21 title to win this thing tonight. My nerves calmed for a brief moment as I said to myself without hesitation, "absolutely not, no chance, never."

Seems like a minority view, but you're entitled to it.

I didn't say anything about being a 'glorious loser'. If you want to summarise the detail, I said I'd rather be challenging for European success on that much bigger stage with exciting competition than *only* playing in a two horse race for the SPFL against that lot.

Each to their own.
It’s a comfort view. It’s an easy view to take to make people feel better about what could ultimately end up a trophyless season. Many people were shouting early in the season about how the league would be won by Christmas and Postecoglou sacked by then etc.

I’m not saying that’s your drive behind it btw, you might genuinely rather compete in a European final every year and lose it than win a domestic double (including the league) but it’s just not a viewpoint I can subscribe to.

The nights are great when they come about during the run but ultimately, there’s no big shiny thing at the end of it for us.

Last night when it went to penalties, amidst the torturous mental anguish I had suffered through the past 2 hours I asked myself if I would trade the 20/21 title to win this thing tonight. My nerves calmed for a brief moment as I said to myself without hesitation, "absolutely not, no chance, never."
That’s a bit different, that was the title that stopped the 10 and finally showed the world we were back. However the 21-22 was just another normal league.

The obsession is incredible even for them. Videos of them watching the game cheering when Frankfurt score. I don’t watch them apart from when they play us.

What sad lives they lead.

It’s a comfort view. It’s an easy view to take to make people feel better about what could ultimately end up a trophyless season. Many people were shouting early in the season about how the league would be won by Christmas and Postecoglou sacked by then etc.

I’m not saying that’s your drive behind it btw, you might genuinely rather compete in a European final every year and lose it than win a domestic double (including the league) but it’s just not a viewpoint I can subscribe to.

The nights are great when they come about during the run but ultimately, there’s no big shiny thing at the end of it for us.
Can you remember too many of the league wins out with helicopter Sunday or stopping the 9 and 3/4s? Many of them all blend into each other for me. I will always remember last night and 08. Those are what football is all about. We lose the league and it’s “well we’ll go again next year”. We had the UK prime minister discuss us in parliament yesterday ffs! If you think domestic success is bigger than that then I’m amazed.

If we win on Saturday, Gio will have gained one trophy from the 3 he has competed for as our manager. Fat Ange the media darling and magician won 2 from 6. Wouldn't expect the Scottish Press to mention this but it helps perspective.

I'm 30. Your right it could be an age thing. For a large chunk of living memory I've not seen us win as much domestically. It pisses me off. The Dortmund , Braga , and red star nights will always be a great memory for me. But I want more league titles . I believe most of the time the best team will win the league
Nice response and i totally get it mate.
We will win many more league titles in your lifetime mate. I think i can promise you that. We are Rangers!!!
And you will love it!
By the time you are my age i hope you have seen as many as me!

I get the point and the overwhelming support it appears to have on this thread in the immediate aftermath of last night. I would question if we will feel like that in August if we f**k up the CL qualifiers.

And let's not kid ourselves on that we didn't rip the pish out of the bead rattlers for Biggin up of their glorious failure in Seville v Porto, and their attempt to eulogise it in a season where we won the League. We need to have some level of intellectual consistency on here or we are no better than a Giro Declan.

The fact the scum have got a automatic CL group spot next year based off our hard work on the coefficient only makes the situation re not winning the league even more unpalatable.

So I would strongly disagree with the OP, and imagine more will join in the viewpoint as the reality sinks in. Allowing our main rivals to rack up 10 of the last 11 titles is simply unacceptable and you would not see Bayern, Madrid, Juve etc. accepting it in their domestic league. I worry about our expectations & standards sometimes. We need to pressure the board to push the boat out to the max financially to back Gio and build on the momentum he has managed to gather thankfully.

Rangers have always been about winning silverware. Not glorifying failures or final losses. Leave that to the paedos.

5 of those were between 12-16 where we were deducted ten points and then out the league for 4 years.

16-18 were right offs and 18-19 we were rebuilding to compete with an established team.

We can only realistically be judged from 2019 onwards in termd of title challenges and since then they've been awarded it, we've won it and now they've won it again.

And so on and on..

Back